Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres something HUUUUUUGE that you are all missing, just having the shield up doesnt drain power, not unless its being hit or force is put on it or whatever, but the other things turned on DO use power.

The shield can last forever aslong as nothing is forcing it.

Comment

It's not a wall; it's an energy barrier; and creating that takes power.

Just not that much, relatively speaking.

Comment

It definatly uses power, or they'd have it up all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gala View Post
          Theres something HUUUUUUGE that you are all missing, just having the shield up doesnt drain power, not unless its being hit or force is put on it or whatever, but the other things turned on DO use power.

The shield can last forever aslong as nothing is forcing it.
          It does use power to have it switched on - it merely uses *more* power if strain is being put on it for any reason. Speaking of... you don't think perhaps containing an atmosphere within a vacuum might, maybe, put a strain on the shield?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
            Official ep discussion/speculation thread - http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=41498
            It's funny how similar this threads is.. it even has the same number

Comment

Originally posted by mmu_man View Post
              It's funny how similar this threads is.. it even has the same number
              That's the effect of thread-merging for ya.

Comment

Wild Idea here, back in season 1, esp. 13 hot zone, mckay said

"I've got some theories on looping the power on the Gate to charge a dummy ZedPM. It probably won't work, but-but you should have someone look at it cos it might lead somewhere else. "

Could they possibly use this to some how get another zpm working?
                Just a theory i've looked at!

Could it be like charging your battery on your riding lawnmower(dead battery thats doesn't hold a charge after letting it sit for a week) with your battery from your Chevy trailblazer!
                Last edited by zpm!!; 02 June 2007, 08:19 PM. Reason: good thinking

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                pps = power per second
                The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                xfire = zpm
                [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                http://m2kclan.com
                vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                port: 3785
                P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Has anybody thought they the Atlantis Crew end up bunking in the Jumpers until help arrives, while diverting lifesupport in Atlantis to the shield to keep the ship floating and the atmosphere stable... Mckay would probably figure out a way to control atlantis from inside a jumper (like in the the seige where mckay & zelenka remote controlled the jumper from the chair- would it not be the same way?) Also i think carter probably arrives in this episode where she ends up using her new ship to tow Atlantis to the planet they were originally going to land on, and after towing it she probably takes command as weir is injured, this is only temporary as the SGC probably ends calling her back to earth for something... then she returns later in the season...

Comment

I think there are far too many people in the expedition to bunk in the small number of jumpers they have. I just find it hard to believe that the ancients would not plan for such an eventuality and provide a way to seal off at least certain areas of the city and maintain life support. In fact, we know there are bulkheads so I see no reason why they WOULDN'T be able to move people to inner rooms and corridors and hole up there for awhile.

I think, though, we should look to Rising for ideas. The situation was similar, the shield was required to keep the city inhabitable and the city automatically took steps to stretch that power out as far as possible. They were obviously able to get the energy requirement way down since simply the act of providing life support and lights in the area being explored by the expedition when they arrived was enough to rapidly drain what was left in the ZPM. Again, too, we know the shield can drop to a conforming type shield such as happened in rising when it was at it's minimum sustainable level. It probably wouldn't provide much protection but if it could keep the water out it can keep the air in. Also we know that it has the ability to unprotect some areas of the city to reserve power for other areas, hence the shield dropping and some areas getting flooded as the episode progressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
                      I think there are far too many people in the expedition to bunk in the small number of jumpers they have. I just find it hard to believe that the ancients would not plan for such an eventuality and provide a way to seal off at least certain areas of the city and maintain life support. In fact, we know there are bulkheads so I see no reason why they WOULDN'T be able to move people to inner rooms and corridors and hole up there for awhile.

I think, though, we should look to Rising for ideas. The situation was similar, the shield was required to keep the city inhabitable and the city automatically took steps to stretch that power out as far as possible. They were obviously able to get the energy requirement way down since simply the act of providing life support and lights in the area being explored by the expedition when they arrived was enough to rapidly drain what was left in the ZPM. Again, too, we know the shield can drop to a conforming type shield such as happened in rising when it was at it's minimum sustainable level. It probably wouldn't provide much protection but if it could keep the water out it can keep the air in. Also we know that it has the ability to unprotect some areas of the city to reserve power for other areas, hence the shield dropping and some areas getting flooded as the episode progressed.
                      Well wew barely have enough power to keep the shield up this time and the strain of it keeping the atmosphere from leaking out will drain the sheild. There are too many people to bunk in the jumpers so perhaps we can limit it to a particuar area and let the sheild down in uninhabited areas. I'm guessing the Apollo or deaddy wil come to the rescue.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
                        I just find it hard to believe that the ancients would not plan for such an eventuality.
                        If you remember Before I Sleep it wasn't exactly thought out first, Janus had to rewrite some of the code to lower power usage, add the release fail safe, ...
                        It just wasn't meant to be used without ZPM, really.

Comment

I'll stick with the idea of last minute miraculous arival of Earth ship with a ZPM powering it. Very predicable and TPTB like.
                          My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
                          Sig and avi by me
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by *Erika* View Post
                            I'll stick with the idea of last minute miraculous arival of Earth ship with a ZPM powering it. Very predicable and TPTB like.
                            Well they'll figure out some science before that, but ultimately it won't work and that's when your 'likely to happen' idea comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Blower'sGate View Post
                              Well they'll figure out some science before that, but ultimately it won't work and that's when your 'likely to happen' idea comes in.
                              Yeah, technobable first. Some genious idea (wonder who), that ends up not buying too much time and said genious ramble about their hopeless fate until the miracle arrival at the last minute. It's very stargate like.
                              My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
                              Sig and avi by me
                              Spoiler:

Comment

ok people, we left the Atlantis in a very difficult position, with them floting space, and the ZPM near depletion.

Has anyone got any good idears on who they will by rescued?

I Thought that this would be a good episode for carter to make her entrace. McKay said that the ZPM is nearing maximum entrapy. So to my understanding the Odyssey has a fully charged ZPM, Carter make Radio contact with Alantis, and directly beams here ZPM to stargate operations.

does anyone has anythoughts?
                                This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
                                Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
                                we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X