Can someone please tell me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please tell me

what whump/whumped/whumping is? I always see it connected with Shepherd.

I have seen it a bunch of times around here but have no idea what that means

i have no clue either when people say a shep whump scene, what's that? but i think it's whining or whimpering. stupid saying in my opinion.

Comment

Whumping is a character getting battered/beat up/given physical harm. SOme people like to see their favourite charaters get whumped. Shep gets whumped a lot and people like to see him whumped. I'll admit there is a very strange, sadistic appeal in it

A Shep Whump scene is a scene in which physical harm/pain is inflicted on Shep

Not that I condone that kind of behaviour or anything ...

Comment

It means enjoying gets beaten up or tossed around. The Sheppard whumpers were very happy with the end scene of Doppleganger.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Oh ok - I thought it meant he got kissed

Oh man was I off!

Comment

Sheppard whumpings are the best. =)
            I love Sparky. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Lilli View Post
              what whump/whumped/whumping is? I always see it connected with Shepherd.

I have seen it a bunch of times around here but have no idea what that means
              its when people enjoy seeing their fav character (such as shep) hurt so he/she/it can be nursed better...

i love whump.... mostly because it provides some really great character moments... also really love angst.. angst and whump together is the best imho

and nutso moments trump everything
              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

It also means character growth out of the pain and suffering. The comfort of friends and family are also often associated. Most whumpers, in my experience, don't want permament physical damage done, nor emotional damage that cannot be overcome.

It's genetic.

Comment

I just felt the need to step in here and represent the Mckay whumpers. Shep gets too much of the whump, IMHO.
                  sigpic
                  It was Arrested Development

Comment

Originally posted by Lorr View Post
                    It also means character growth out of the pain and suffering. The comfort of friends and family are also often associated. Most whumpers, in my experience, don't want permament physical damage done, nor emotional damage that cannot be overcome.

It's genetic.
                    yup

Originally posted by wheresmyfroggy View Post
                    I just felt the need to step in here and represent the Mckay whumpers. Shep gets too much of the whump, IMHO.
                    i'm in to dean winchester whump at the moment
                    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                      i'm in to dean winchester whump at the moment
                      No idea who that is. What show?

I'm into Mulder whump (or Mulder!torture as they call it). Probably just because it's in literally every episode.
                      sigpic

Comment

No idea who that is. What show?

I'm into Mulder whump (or Mulder!torture as they call it). Probably just because it's in literally every episode.
                        ooo love mulder... loved the one where he got the drill in the head, then when scully found him he was in shock and he couldn't remember

Dean Winchester, from Supernatural its my fav show

if you liked x-files you might like supernatural, lots of similarities
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                          ooo love mulder... loved the one where he got the drill in the head, then when scully found him he was in shock and he couldn't remember

Dean Winchester, from Supernatural its my fav show

if you liked x-files you might like supernatural, lots of similarities
                          I'm just now getting into the X-Files, unfortunately I was too young when it originally aired. I remember catching an ep when I was about 6 and being scared for a week. Some of the episodes still scare me! I'm just starting season 3. Haven't seen 'the drill episode' yet, but now I can't wait! Must watch faster!

I'm gonna look into Supernatural. Thanks for the recommendation! Always looking for new SciFi to watch!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm just now getting into the X-Files, unfortunately I was too young when it originally aired. I remember catching an ep when I was about 6 and being scared for a week. Some of the episodes still scare me! I'm just starting season 3. Haven't seen 'the drill episode' yet, but now I can't wait! Must watch faster!

I'm gonna look into Supernatural. Thanks for the recommendation! Always looking for new SciFi to watch!
                            no probs.. i love both shows
                            Spoiler:

Comment

people enjoy whumping because it's part of the 'hurt/comfort' genre of fic.

in hurt/comfort, well it's just what you'd think.

shep gets hurt, mckay/ronon/teyla/weir (pick a character(s)) later comforts them

jack and daniel were common targets in the sg1 fandom.

get jack off world. get him hurt, have him struggle, hampered by his injuries, to prevail. he suceeds, then his friends take care of him. it's a way to strip away a character's normal defenses by hurting them. it's sometimes a way to make a strong character vulnerable. it's a way to accentuate the relationship/friendship between a few characters

whumpers rarely want to kill the character, nor do they dislike him. just the opposite. you usually only whump the ones you like
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X