This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't Atlantis get to Earth?

If everyone really wanted to, couldn't the Tau'ri get Atlantis to the Milky Way?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

If the writers wanted it to happen, they'd figure out some way to make it happen.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

They said in 'Lifeline'

Spoiler:
      That they drained a lot or power from their ZPM just getting to the new planet, so I'm guessing maybe even 3 ZPMs wouldn't be enough to make it to the Milky Way...

Comment

they could if Atlantis had enough power (ZPMs) and if the writers wanted that. I don't see it happen though because the whole show is set in the PG, why would they suddenly bring the city home (other than research which they can do now anyway)? we're supposed to have dozens of SG teams exploring the MW. so yes they could but the TBTB won't
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          They said in 'Lifeline'

Spoiler:
          That they drained a lot or power from their ZPM just getting to the new planet, so I'm guessing maybe even 3 ZPMs wouldn't be enough to make it to the Milky Way...
          I think you will find that it takes alot of power to get Atlantis into subspace... but 3 ZPMs would easily get the city to MW galaxy because once in subspace the energy requirement to stay there isn't that taxing...

Spoiler:
          The drainage on the ZPM in "Lifeline" was down to a combination of opening a hyperspace window, powering the shield at full, manuvering the city towards the new home planet and re-entry...

If however they had 3 ZPMs they could have easily flown the city back to Earth, with enough power left over to power Atlantis' basic systems for quite along time...

Comment

It would probably be our best defense against the Ori (Which were suddenly forgot about), but the humans in the Pegasus galaxy need protection I.E. Atlantis.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR Ragnarok Warlord View Post
              I think you will find that it takes alot of power to get Atlantis into subspace... but 3 ZPMs would easily get the city to MW galaxy because once in subspace the energy requirement to stay there isn't that taxing...

Spoiler:
              The drainage on the ZPM in "Lifeline" was down to a combination of opening a hyperspace window, powering the shield at full, manuvering the city towards the new home planet and re-entry...

If however they had 3 ZPMs they could have easily flown the city back to Earth, with enough power left over to power Atlantis' basic systems for quite along time...
              Spoiler:
              McKAY: Well, there’s still the small matter of landing this thing.
              SHEPPARD: Yeah. I’ll just jump in the Chair and ease us down.
              CARTER: Well, that could be tricky. We drained a lot of power from the ZeeP.M. just getting here.

And that's a relatively tiny distance compared to the void between galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
                It would probably be our best defense against the Ori (Which were suddenly forgot about), but the humans in the Pegasus galaxy need protection I.E. Atlantis.
                I think it would be better to just transport a load of drones to Earth to use in the Ancient outpost, Having Atlantis on Earth to help defend against the Ori would only serve as a second drone firing platform...

And in the event Earth and the MW galaxy were to fall to the Ori, Atlantis would be the place to relocate any people to carry on Earth's legacy...

Comment

Spoiler:
                  McKAY: Well, there’s still the small matter of landing this thing.
                  SHEPPARD: Yeah. I’ll just jump in the Chair and ease us down.
                  CARTER: Well, that could be tricky. We drained a lot of power from the ZeeP.M. just getting here.

And that's a relatively tiny distance compared to the void between galaxies.
                  But remember that they only had 1 ZPM. When the Ancients built Atlantis I doubt they ever thought they would be flying around in it with only 1 ZPM when it is supposed to be powered by 3.
                  Spoiler:
                  In the case of lifeline that single ZPM had to power the stardrive, the shield, the inertial dampners and life support, as well as opening a hyperspace window.
                  They couldn't even get Atlantis off the ground with 1 ZPM, they needed the geothermal drilling station as well.
                  If Atlantis had 3 ZPMs it would get to the MW easily, why would the Ancients build an intergalatic ship when it doesnt have the power to travel between galaxies?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                    But remember that they only had 1 ZPM. When the Ancients built Atlantis I doubt they ever thought they would be flying around in it with only 1 ZPM when it is supposed to be powered by 3.
                    Spoiler:
                    In the case of lifeline that single ZPM had to power the stardrive, the shield, the inertial dampners and life support, as well as opening a hyperspace window.
                    They couldn't even get Atlantis off the ground with 1 ZPM, they needed the geothermal drilling station as well.
                    If Atlantis had 3 ZPMs it would get to the MW easily, why would the Ancients build an intergalatic ship when it doesnt have the power to travel between galaxies?
                    Because they could make as many ZPMs as they wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Yeah, The Ancients would have built Atlantis to utilize the power of more ZPMs if 3 wasn't enough for intergalactic travel and as there are only 3 zero-point-module slots in the power core of Atlantis...

Originally Posted by FenRiR Ragnarok Warlord
                      I think you will find that it takes alot of power to get Atlantis into subspace **Plus the other energy strains on the single ZPM**... but 3 ZPMs would easily get the city to MW galaxy because once in subspace the energy requirement to stay there isn't that taxing...
                      Another point to add is Atlantis must keep the shield up while in subspace (see "Progeny" **) while the Daedalus and any other sealed ship usually switches it off...

Spoiler:
                      Asuran version of Atlantis jumps into subspace with the shield up and keeps it up.

However I am confident 3 ZPMs would get Atlantis to Earth or anywhere in MW galaxy...

The big "200" post!
                      Last edited by Guest; 28 November 2007, 02:21 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

They might need 3 ZPMs. If they can build asgard power cores soon they could use them 2 fly the city. they might not be as powerful as a ZPM but Im sure 1 on each pier would do the trick. Im not saying that bringing it 2 the MW would be the best thing 2 do though

Comment

It can go back to earth if it had 3 zpms, but they should do tht for the very last episode of SG:Atlantis. If they decide then to reveal the stargate to the people.

Comment

Could they? Yes, but it would be selfish and could end badly. Lets say they do it now...and the Ori is still a threat (i don't think they are), but IF. That would allow the city to be known to the Ori and they would want to destroy it, and since we wasted so much power getting to the MG....we would be defenseless. And bringing it to earth would be bad....the ppl of earth don't know of the SG program, and it would be hard to hide that city....so yea.

and who knows what other gaul'ds would do.

Comment

Originally posted by mickhhh View Post
                              They might need 3 ZPMs. If they can build asgard power cores soon they could use them 2 fly the city. they might not be as powerful as a ZPM but Im sure 1 on each pier would do the trick. Im not saying that bringing it 2 the MW would be the best thing 2 do though
                              Yeah at least for now Atlantis does belong in the Pegasus as a platform against the Wraith and Asurans...

If your talking about Asgard Ion generators then yeah several working together could power the city's stardrive and at the least give the Atlantis Experdition more options when and if they have to relocate/Power the city's shield or cloak...

Comment

Working...
                              X