SGA - SciFi Wire: SciFi Channel Official Season 4 Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    Who cares? WE'VE BEEN RENWED! YIPPEEEE! *damn that means I can't enact my plan Operation Destruction on scifi*
    Well, it does get kind of annoying when Atlantis is obviously doing reasonably well in the ratings, yet certain people within fandom like to bounce around saying how crap they are totally ignoring the facts, and saying the only reason the show got renewed is because tptb wanted the syndication money and it was the best of a bad bunch, and it couldn't have anything to do with the ratings because they are apparently soooo bad.

This is more proff that the ratings are doing well, yet I expect the same people will be oblivious to it yet again. Just say 'DVR' and hiss at you. I'm wondering, are they oblivious, or are they just angry that Atlantis is doing considerably better than they want it too ratings wise, and like to denounce the new systems in hopes of making themselves feel better inside?

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
      Well, it does get kind of annoying when Atlantis is obviously doing reasonably well in the ratings, yet certain people within fandom like to bounce around saying how crap they are totally ignoring the facts, and saying the only reason the show got renewed is because tptb wanted the syndication money and it was the best of a bad bunch, and it couldn't have anything to do with the ratings because they are apparently soooo bad.

This is more proff that the ratings are doing well, yet I expect the same people will be oblivious to it yet again. Just say 'DVR' and hiss at you. I'm wondering, are they oblivious, or are they just angry that Atlantis is doing considerably better than they want it too ratings wise, and like to denounce the new systems in hopes of making themselves feel better inside?
      I know what you mean. Those people are quite the downers.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post

When SGA goes from 1.7 mil viewers to over 2 million viewers something is not right. DVR is being majorily considered. They can crunch all the numbers they want. BTW that was for only 3 days of DVR'ing. All the networks are down, the bar has been lowered.

This really stinks, now instead of debating whether the ratings are good enough for a Season 5, we now have to debate why they are good enough since we got the 5th season.

Check please!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          When SGA goes from 1.7 mil viewers to over 2 million viewers something is not right. DVR is being majorily considered. They can crunch all the numbers they want. BTW that was for only 3 days of DVR'ing. All the networks are down, the bar has been lowered.

This really stinks, now instead of debating whether the ratings are good enough for a Season 5, we now have to debate why they are good enough since we got the 5th season.

Check please!
          That's why I changed my signature
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Last season it got 2 million+ for the Live ratings with another 10-15% added for DVR. But that was the start of the season.

I think one of the most positive things about SGA is that, unlike SG-1, it appears to have stopped dropping. From the end of last season into this one it's hovered around the 1.2 point. It seems to have found a solid and constant audience - less of SG-1's casual viewership?
            I think Sci Fi would see that as a good trade off - being able to have a stable show which can be run at any time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
              Last season it got 2 million+ for the Live ratings with another 10-15% added for DVR. But that was the start of the season.

I think one of the most positive things about SGA is that, unlike SG-1, it appears to have stopped dropping. From the end of last season into this one it's hovered around the 1.2 point. It seems to have found a solid and constant audience - less of SG-1's casual viewership?
              I think Sci Fi would see that as a good trade off - being able to have a stable show which can be run at any time of the year.
              Well I know No Man's Land had a 1.5, Joe M said DVR was affecting Season 3.0 by like 0.1 of a rating point even if that(That was live +7) It was a 1.68 after DVR Vs. 1.58, in fact I think you posted that.

DVR was not as much of an impact 14 months ago. So if you think about it Adrift premiering with 2 million + after the DVR(Live +3) is still really good. I do agree that the 1.1 to 1.2 mark for "Live" ratings seems to be safe for SGA. Oh well just have to hope they can maintain those numbers.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                That's why I changed my signature
                It's happy posting now, I got my 5th season!
                sigpic

Comment

Ghost Hunters 1.5
                  Wraiths of Roanoke 1.2
                  ECW 1.2
                  Stargate Atlantis 1.1 ( "Reunion" Without Live + 3)
                  Odyssey 5 0.8
                  End of Days 0.8
                  Bionic Woman 0.8
                  Highlander: The Source 0.8
                  Eureka 0.8
                  Stargate 0.7

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 10/8/07 -- 10/14/07
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, seriously, what is this ****?

According to this Gateworld article, people are now measuring ratings by a new method that also factors in people who record the show on DVR and watch it later.

Based on this, they presume that the "total viewership is about the same -- or perhaps even a little higher" that that of last year's. Ok... how can they presume this when last's year's ratings didn't include DVR-viewership?!

Who in their right mind could come to this conclusion?! As far as I know, DVR has existed for years and didn't magically spring out of the ground this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

According to this Gateworld article, people are now measuring ratings by a new method that also factors in people who record the show on DVR and watch it later.

Based on this, they presume that the "total viewership is about the same -- or perhaps even a little higher" that that of last year's. Ok... how can they presume this when last's year's ratings didn't include DVR-viewership?!

Who in their right mind could come to this conclusion?! As far as I know, DVR has existed for years and didn't magically spring out of the ground this summer.
                      Well if theyre saying that the numbers are the same it probably means that they have something that suggests that the numbers are the same. lol? They were honest when it looked like ratings were down, why would they lie. Not like theyre gonna get any more money or renewed for much moar than they would have if it wernt troo.

Comment

google it

Comment

Perhaps the advertisers have decided to factor in DVR viewers, or at least a percentage of them. The Nielsen ratings are important for them, so if they decided to count DVR this year and not last, surely that's their choice.

Given that they have said that total viewership is the same or slightly higher than it was last year, I imagine that they are comparing Live + DVR for both years, so if Live is down, then DVR is up and vice versa.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            Perhaps the advertisers have decided to factor in DVR viewers, or at least a percentage of them. The Nielsen ratings are important for them, so if they decided to count DVR this year and not last, surely that's their choice.
                            I feel like I've posted this many, many times, but it never hurts to do it one more time.

Nielsen has been counting DVR's since January of 2006. At that time, they started issued ratings to its customers in three increments based on how DVR viewing accumulates: Live, Live plus Same Day, Live plus 7 days. The media, and, thus the public, generally gets "Live plus Same Day" and doesn't see the other two ratings. Initially, the differences between Live ratings and the other two were small because there weren't many DVR owning households in Nielsen's sample. However, it grew and grew and grew.

In the 2006-2007 TV season an agreement was made between advertisers and the networks that the only rating that mattered to them was the Live rating because of the prevelance for DVR people to fast forward through the commercials.

This was an interim step because the advertisers had a longtime desire to stop using ratings for the program, but to get ratings for the commercials only. This they accomplished for the 2007-2008 season with the advent of a new rating called Live plus 3 Commercial minute rating or "C3" for short. This is the number the advertisers care about now. It allows the inclusion of DVR viewing up to three days after the initial telecast, but only those people who don't skip through the commercials.

However, the media doesn't get this rating either. Published ratings, like in the SciFiwire, are still Live + Same Day program ratings. You can find a few articles that say what some network shows' C3 ratings are because its new, but it will not be the norm for what's published in the press.

To confuse matters further, there is now a Live + 3 program rating, as well as the C3 rating.

We have not seen anyone publish what Atlantis's C3 rating is and label it clearly as the C3 rating. The networks aren't using it in their press releases. They use the highest number available for spin purposes and that is probably the "Live + 7" in the case of the latest SciFi press release about Atlantis. A agency research executive recently complained about their tendency to do this and, thus, confuse the media and the public.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/med..._id=1003664050

Sparing no one but the media agencies, Sternberg said, “This confusion is not helped by various networks releasing limited and incomplete data that puts them in the best possible light. Nor is it helped by a press that, by and large, doesn’t understand the significance, or lack thereof, of various pieces of data. They are generally on tight deadlines to report on the new season, so simply report what people say and list whatever data they are given.”
                            Last edited by MediaSavant; 29 October 2007, 05:11 AM.

Comment

What you see is a Live raw rating + DVR playback for the same day, which is up to 3am. Because SGA is on at the 10pm slot and on Friday night, a lot of viewers will playback the show over the weekend. Which is why Live + 3(DVR playback for the next 3 days) is so cruitial. SGA according to Joe M and Sci-fi is bleeding about 20%+ of their ratings due to time-shifting viewership. Last year this was not an issue since less than half the households now owned a DVR according to Nielsen.

The TV industry is changing, and it has to to change with the technology. Even if people FF through the commercials, and these so called C3 reports prove this, the fact remains that all shows and networks are being effected and the ratings bar must be lowered. This is one of the main reasons I believe and think for SGA being renewed. Viewers are still there, they are just time-shifted.

I also predict by next year, we could see DVR Live + 3 be included in the official ratings posted above.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                                I also predict by next year, we could see DVR Live + 3 be included in the official ratings posted above.
                                I doubt it. There's still tremendous pressure by the media and the networks to have an "overnight" rating. The "Live + 3" just isn't ready that quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X