This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
    I've been wondering why Sam is getting her eagles as well. It still feels too early for me. With Sam holding the rank of Lt. Colonel a year or two longer than Sheppard, surely there is no need for her to be promoted for the sole purpose of taking over command of Atlantis?

edit: Of course she can be promoted to a full Colonel. It's only a science fantasy, I mean fiction show after all. It's not meant to be realistic.
    She has been a Lt. Col for three years, so actually it fits the timeline fairly well. It might be a slight bit early but not much.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      She has been a Lt. Col for three years, so actually it fits the timeline fairly well. It might be a slight bit early but not much.
      Also she was in a combat unit. Promotions often happen faster in combat units.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
        I think what ColCaldwell is asking is, why is Carter wearing the civilian atlantis uniform? The different classifications are red=civilian, blue=scientist, yellow=medical, balck=military, green=technician. Why is Carter wearing red? She should be wearing black.

And why did Carter get promoted? Was it just because she was picked to take command of Atlantis?
        None of the other military personnel wear their uniforms. A black combat vest isn't a US military uniform - they're wearing those because they're the poor sods that have to deal with enemies coming through the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
          I've been wondering why Sam is getting her eagles as well. It still feels too early for me. With Sam holding the rank of Lt. Colonel a year or two longer than Sheppard, surely there is no need for her to be promoted for the sole purpose of taking over command of Atlantis?

edit: Of course she can be promoted to a full Colonel. It's only a science fantasy, I mean fiction show after all. It's not meant to be realistic.

Carter is getting promoted for one reason - it's the only way to put her into the show. They've already got a chief science officer -fans (and Rodney) wouldn't put up with her shoving him out of his slot. Weir is toast, for some unexplained reason, so Carter gets that slot. Personally if they had to get a military person in command, I'd rather have seen Caldwell get the slot. Or Sheppard.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Carter is getting promoted for one reason - it's the only way to put her into the show. They've already got a chief science officer -fans (and Rodney) wouldn't put up with her shoving him out of his slot. Weir is toast, for some unexplained reason, so Carter gets that slot. Personally if they had to get a military person in command, I'd rather have seen Caldwell get the slot. Or Sheppard.
            I agree. I'd like to see Caldwell in charge. At least he's an already established character on Atlantis, and I enjoy the bit of tension between him and Sheppard. I like the idea of a woman in command, but I'm not so attached to the idea that I want to see Carter placed there just because she's a woman. I'm worried that she will bring a lot of baggage with her from SG1 that I'm just not interested in. I wouldn't want to see Sheppard in charge, just because I wouldn't want him to be stuck on Atlantis all the time, and I think he would hate it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
              I agree. I'd like to see Caldwell in charge. At least he's an already established character on Atlantis, and I enjoy the bit of tension between him and Sheppard. I like the idea of a woman in command, but I'm not so attached to the idea that I want to see Carter placed there just because she's a woman. I'm worried that she will bring a lot of baggage with her from SG1 that I'm just not interested in. I wouldn't want to see Sheppard in charge, just because I wouldn't want him to be stuck on Atlantis all the time, and I think he would hate it too.
              Shep would go stir crazy. Carter shouldn't as she loves lab work but wait, she shouldn't be doing lab work. She won't have time. Not really. She'll have a full time job as administrator which means paperwork, negotiations, ordering stuff, personnel reviews. She won't even have time to date

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                That is one reason she is getting promoted but I also think she has earned it. As to Caldwell I'd rather see him on the Deadalus, not as a commander of Atlantis. Sheppard couldnt stand the behind the desk beauocratic stuff. Carter is the best choice IMO.

Comment

Rickover was promoted to admiral after creating the nuclear power plants for us navy ships. I'd say Sam has been just as important to the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    That is one reason she is getting promoted but I also think she has earned it. As to Caldwell I'd rather see him on the Deadalus, not as a commander of Atlantis. Sheppard couldnt stand the behind the desk beauocratic stuff. Carter is the best choice IMO.
                    Honestly, I would have prefered an entirely new character than bringing SG1 characters and scripts to SGA.

Comment

Wow, Carter a
                      Spoiler:
                      full Colonel.
                      Good for her.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        Wow, Carter a
                        Spoiler:
                        full Colonel.
                        Good for her.
                        Indeed. About time IMO.

Comment

The Atlantis unforms and for both civilians and military as well as international personell. Plus, if Red is commanders, then why does Teyla have red panels?

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                            The Atlantis unforms and for both civilians and military as well as international personell. Plus, if Red is commanders, then why does Teyla have red panels?

Vala,
                            Well, Teyla's the leader of her people and she sometimes acts as Weir's 2IC.
                            click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                              Well, Teyla's the leader of her people and she sometimes acts as Weir's 2IC.
                              I wonder if Teyla will still have that honor. Carter is military, so will toe the status quo, so she would choose a military earth person to be second in command, whereas Weir was more apt to go outside the box, per se.

Asked on another list of folk who have been in in the military and Carter's promotion to full bird is really pushing it (but then again, they said it's TV so the producers can do whatever the heck they want). Has she had the minimum years in service to accomplish the promotion (22 years).

Comment

hmm i wonder if stargate still has those military advisors they did with sg1. lately it doesnt really feel like and if you need to have a minimum of 22 years to achieve that rank, then hmm it is early for carter. just how has she been in the airforce for anyway? i'd say its at least 12 by now.

but on the other hand, by the work that she's done with the stargate program she's very deserving of that promotion imho.

LOL all this time and i never realised teyla had red on her uniform i kinda found it strange that they let teyla be a sort of 2ic for an expedition from earth. not that she's not truthworthy or anything, but i'd figure that a lot of people would have real problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X