Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What plots from sg1 do you want tobe carried on in Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Except the amount of crossover is not nearly that much.
    Yet.

Comment

I'm sure the starter of the thread didn't intentionally mean to sound disrespectful for Atlantis as its own separate show but it does seem that way to me.

And I don't see Atlantis as ever being a continuation of SG-1, it's sad to think that could be the case. Continuation means continuating something after that something is gone. That's what it means to me at least. Atlantis is a spin-off but that's all it is, it can and should be treated as a separate show. TPTB clearly wanted it to be a as much different as possible back in season 1, unfortunately they changed their opinion and intentions after... and here we are.
      Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
      at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Atlantis is a seperate show, but its in the same universe as sg1, and it was built on what SG had created. I think thats where the creators of atlantis got it wrong. And try to forget everything in sg1 universe. Thats where voyager in the star trek mythos got it wrong. You want tobe diffrent but you want a deep connection too.

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
        I'm sure the starter of the thread didn't intentionally mean to sound disrespectful for Atlantis as its own separate show but it does seem that way to me.

And I don't see Atlantis as ever being a continuation of SG-1, it's sad to think that could be the case. Continuation means continuating something after that something is gone. That's what it means to me at least. Atlantis is a spin-off but that's all it is, it can and should be treated as a separate show. TPTB clearly wanted it to be a as much different as possible back in season 1, unfortunately they changed their opinion and intentions after... and here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post

Thats where the misconception is.

SG1 was meant to end at Season 7 and The Lost City was going to be a movie that pre-empted Atlantis. However that changed and the series continued (As parodied in 200). Atlantis went ahead regardless.

Now as for the they wanted it different, DH contradicts that thought in an Interview on the MGM website (DH Part 2). He calls Atlantis a show meant to compliment SG1 - implying a connection between the two that was evident in the studio.

Continuation by definition is "An extension by which something is carried to a further point." This indeed applies to Atlantis from the Lost City of the Ancients Storyline started in SG1 - Season 6.

It is also, by some fans of both SG1 and SGA, impossible to separate the two and treat them like singular separate entities. Its much like Firefly and Serenity. Sure, you can watch Serenity without having watched Firefly first, however that doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive entities.

Having watched SG1, the hunt by SG1 for the Lost city of the Ancients, the formation of the IOA, the collection of the first ZPM that powered the gate to GET the expedition to Pegasus, etc - I can't say Atlantis has nothing to do with SG1. Its a continuation of that story which could not be told individually in SG1 - because SG1 still had to defeat the Goa'uld and Replicators.

If they never intended it to be a continuation - then they would never have place Weir in SG1 in the first place to make the connection.
          : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
          : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

furlings

original inhabitants of pegasus

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post

SG1 was meant to end at Season 7 and The Lost City was going to be a movie that pre-empted Atlantis. However that changed and the series continued (As parodied in 200). Atlantis went ahead regardless.

Now as for the they wanted it different, DH contradicts that thought in an Interview on the MGM website (DH Part 2). He calls Atlantis a show meant to compliment SG1 - implying a connection between the two that was evident in the studio.

Continuation by definition is "An extension by which something is carried to a further point." This indeed applies to Atlantis from the Lost City of the Ancients Storyline started in SG1 - Season 6.

It is also, by some fans of both SG1 and SGA, impossible to separate the two and treat them like singular separate entities. Its much like Firefly and Serenity. Sure, you can watch Serenity without having watched Firefly first, however that doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive entities.

Having watched SG1, the hunt by SG1 for the Lost city of the Ancients, the formation of the IOA, the collection of the first ZPM that powered the gate to GET the expedition to Pegasus, etc - I can't say Atlantis has nothing to do with SG1. Its a continuation of that story which could not be told individually in SG1 - because SG1 still had to defeat the Goa'uld and Replicators.

If they never intended it to be a continuation - then they would never have place Weir in SG1 in the first place to make the connection.
              Actually, it was designed a spinoff. All spinoffs can survive without the parent if they're done well. It's like mom bird booting the little bird from the nest. You're on your own. THe producers of SGA need to sever the cord to SG1. Yes, great show, etc. etc. but it had a decade, it's cancelled as is doing movies.

The sporadic guest star thing is okay, but bringing over tired plots and retreaded scripts will just drive viewers away who will go, oh, saw that already. press the remote button!

Comment

FCOL! Atlantis IS a continuation of SG1.

If we are going to completely separate SG1 and Altantis (except for the stargate as someone mentioned) - then First - Off Atlantis. Both "The Lost City" and the "Ancients" are SG1 stories. Get rid of Weir and McKay - they were both in SG1 - so their storylines started in SG1, which means in Atlantis, they are the continuation of an SG1 storyline.

Seriously - SG1 is not that bad. A little respect for it wouldn't go astray either. After all - without SG1, Atlantis could have been an earth based court drama with life sucking lawyers - or just not there at all.

I aint saying you all got to worship at the altar of SG1, only that A) yours is not the only opinion on the situation - neither is anyones opinion "right"
                and b) - its a bit like turning 18 then cutting off all ties from your parents.
                You will sill call, they will still visit. You don't complain about that though.
                Seriously- SG-1 has had its time. Now is the time to let SGA have its run. I wish I could remember the interview I heard that said the two shows were separate. IMO, that may be part of the reason season 1 of Atlantis had thexpedition cut off from Earth. There are tons of stories that can be written for SGA.

As far as respect for SG-1, I tried that after the show was cancelled but then we fans who prefer SGA seem to have gotten it stuck to them that SG-1 should have survived and SGA never have been or should be here to keep SG-1 alive and I seriously think that is a bit unfair.
                "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                Individuality is freedom lived.
                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
                  As far as respect for SG-1, I tried that after the show was cancelled but then we fans who prefer SGA seem to have gotten it stuck to them that SG-1 should have survived and SGA never have been or should be here to keep SG-1 alive and I seriously think that is a bit unfair.
                  You make it sound as though all the fans who like Atlantis better than SG-1 are unhappy with what's going on, but this clearly isn't the case.

Comment

Well it may be a "continuation" to you, but to me it's a spin off, "to derive a new product, material or service from something that already exists." Now, I don't know about anyone else, but if I saw an advertisement claiming "the continuation of SG-1" and I got SGA, I'd be confused. Where are Sam, Tealc, Daniel? If that same advertisement says "the spin off of SG-1" I know exactly what to expect. I'm going to stick to calling it a spin off.

They could hardly be considered separate entities when they feature the same characters. The same cast was in the show and the movie. If you took only one or two of the characters from the show and followed their adventures in the movie, you might have a comparison to the SG-1/SGA situation.

Right. It's a story that couldn't be told on SG-1, so a new show was created using some elements from SG-1 to tell that story with new characters, new settings and a different direction. That is exactly what a spin off is intended to do.

Spin offs frequently follow a minor character or one character from an ensemble cast into a new situation. It's a way to bring the audience from the old show to the new. It's just a way to get the show started. It doesn't mean that there's going to be constant interaction or that it's a continuation of the first series. Look at Frasier. They took one character from Cheers, moved him from Boston to Seattle and gave him a whole new group of people to hang out with. There was no expectation or plan that eventually everybody from Cheers would hoof it out to Seattle, find a watering hole there, and recreate the original show.

Originally posted by mahram View Post
                    Atlantis is a seperate show, but its in the same universe as sg1, and it was built on what SG had created. I think thats where the creators of atlantis got it wrong. And try to forget everything in sg1 universe. Thats where voyager in the star trek mythos got it wrong. You want tobe diffrent but you want a deep connection too.
                    Atlantis does remain in the same universe as SG-1. Does that mean that a new galaxy isn't enough to warrant new adventures, new life forms, new characters? There is a connection to SG-1: the stargate, an occasional call to the SGC, the inevitable guest spot from an SG-1 character. That's more than a lot of spin offs do.

FCOL! Atlantis IS a continuation of SG1.

If we are going to completely separate SG1 and Altantis (except for the stargate as someone mentioned) - then First - Off Atlantis. Both "The Lost City" and the "Ancients" are SG1 stories. Get rid of Weir and McKay - they were both in SG1 - so their storylines started in SG1, which means in Atlantis, they are the continuation of an SG1 storyline.
                    Again, they were minor characters in SG-1 used as a familiar reference to build the new spin off around. A spin off gets its start from the mother show, but that doesn't mean they're connected forever onward. That seldom happens.

Seriously - SG1 is not that bad. A little respect for it wouldn't go astray either. After all - without SG1, Atlantis could have been an earth based court drama with life sucking lawyers - or just not there at all.

I aint saying you all got to worship at the altar of SG1, only that A) yours is not the only opinion on the situation - neither is anyones opinion "right"
                    and b) - its a bit like turning 18 then cutting off all ties from your parents.
                    You will sill call, they will still visit. You don't complain about that though.
                    A little respect for SGA would be nice too. Maybe it has some merit on its own and doesn't owe everything it's achieved to SG-1. I rarely watched SG-1. How is it so horrible to cut off all ties to parents/SG-1 that I hardly know? Maybe some regular viewers of SG-1 will feel a debt of gratitude, but I don't.

To carry on the comparison of SG-1 being parents, this is sounding a lot like homesickness. Time to go off into the world, but it's so hard to leave mom and dad behind. I know, let's take them with us! Don't forget, mom and dad are still going to be in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      You make it sound as though all the fans who like Atlantis better than SG-1 are unhappy with what's going on, but this clearly isn't the case.
                      If you really read my post you will see the (IMO) stated there.
                      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

I replied to what I quoted, you did say 'imo' in an earlier comment but it wasn't anything to do with what I quoted, it was about season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          I replied to what I quoted, you did say 'imo' in an earlier comment but it wasn't anything to do with what I quoted, it was about season 1.
                          Whatever................

'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Actually, it was designed a spinoff. All spinoffs can survive without the parent if they're done well. It's like mom bird booting the little bird from the nest. You're on your own. THe producers of SGA need to sever the cord to SG1. Yes, great show, etc. etc. but it had a decade, it's cancelled as is doing movies.

The sporadic guest star thing is okay, but bringing over tired plots and retreaded scripts will just drive viewers away who will go, oh, saw that already. press the remote button!
                            And if the producers don't want to sever the connection as seems evident - are they wrong and everyone who only watches right? Again - Lets all re-write Harry Potter because JK Rowling has no idea how "Our" book should end.

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
                            Seriously- SG-1 has had its time. Now is the time to let SGA have its run. I wish I could remember the interview I heard that said the two shows were separate. IMO, that may be part of the reason season 1 of Atlantis had thexpedition cut off from Earth. There are tons of stories that can be written for SGA.

And for those of us who like both? Our opinion doesnt count because the Atlantist Purists have spoken?

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                            Well it may be a "continuation" to you, but to me it's a spin off, "to derive a new product, material or service from something that already exists." Now, I don't know about anyone else, but if I saw an advertisement claiming "the continuation of SG-1" and I got SGA, I'd be confused. Where are Sam, Tealc, Daniel? If that same advertisement says "the spin off of SG-1" I know exactly what to expect. I'm going to stick to calling it a spin off.

They could hardly be considered separate entities when they feature the same characters. The same cast was in the show and the movie. If you took only one or two of the characters from the show and followed their adventures in the movie, you might have a comparison to the SG-1/SGA situation.

Right. It's a story that couldn't be told on SG-1, so a new show was created using some elements from SG-1 to tell that story with new characters, new settings and a different direction. That is exactly what a spin off is intended to do.

Spin offs frequently follow a minor character or one character from an ensemble cast into a new situation. It's a way to bring the audience from the old show to the new. It's just a way to get the show started. It doesn't mean that there's going to be constant interaction or that it's a continuation of the first series. Look at Frasier. They took one character from Cheers, moved him from Boston to Seattle and gave him a whole new group of people to hang out with. There was no expectation or plan that eventually everybody from Cheers would hoof it out to Seattle, find a watering hole there, and recreate the original show.

Atlantis does remain in the same universe as SG-1. Does that mean that a new galaxy isn't enough to warrant new adventures, new life forms, new characters? There is a connection to SG-1: the stargate, an occasional call to the SGC, the inevitable guest spot from an SG-1 character. That's more than a lot of spin offs do.

Again, they were minor characters in SG-1 used as a familiar reference to build the new spin off around. A spin off gets its start from the mother show, but that doesn't mean they're connected forever onward. That seldom happens.

A little respect for SGA would be nice too. Maybe it has some merit on its own and doesn't owe everything it's achieved to SG-1. I rarely watched SG-1. How is it so horrible to cut off all ties to parents/SG-1 that I hardly know? Maybe some regular viewers of SG-1 will feel a debt of gratitude, but I don't.

To carry on the comparison of SG-1 being parents, this is sounding a lot like homesickness. Time to go off into the world, but it's so hard to leave mom and dad behind. I know, let's take them with us! Don't forget, mom and dad are still going to be in the movies.
                            It is a Spin Off. Its a Spin off CONTINUING the Lost City of the Ancients storyline that was concieved and developed in SG1.
                            I guess the difference between SG1/SGA and Buffy/Angel was at least Angel didnt have to rely on Buffy as a basis of history to create a logical series. Angel could have started and finished without Buffy ever having existed.

Atlantis could not. It would need to have started back in SG1 to be a stand alone. Thats the ultimate difference. Atlantis has to get its origins and history from SG1. Voyager is a Spin Off. It did not need all the prior Star Treks to create a working Story. Angel is a spin off, it did not need Buffy to create a working story. Fraiser is a spin off, it did not need Cheers to create a working story.

Atlantis left the entire explaination of how it came to be to SG1 and did not recover that ground in SGA. It is a continuation.
                            : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                            : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

Well put: Green for you!

For myself, I don't want to see anymore plots from SG-1 in SGA other than what's already there. Atlantis has it's own stories to tell...
                              sigpic

Comment

And for those of us who like both? Our opinion doesnt count because the Atlantist Purists have spoken?

Originally Posted by Atlantis1
                                You see, this is part of what I addressed in my post. I understand your grievance but what I don't see is some understanding what we 'purists' are trying to say. Rather I feel I am being told I have no right to feel as I do.

'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                                X