Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't this thread be converted into two polls (if possible)? It'd be easier to visualize who is the favorite SGA character on GW, and who is the least favorite.
    Last edited by mcbarr; 11 May 2007, 06:20 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

My favorite is a tie between Mckay and Sheppard. I like Mckay b/c he is such a fun character, and while anoying at times I love the banter between him and John. I like Shep b/c he reminds me so much of me. Least favorite is Kavanaugh. I never liked him.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        My favorite is a tie between Mckay and Sheppard. I like Mckay b/c he is such a fun character, and while anoying at times I love the banter between him and John. I like Shep b/c he reminds me so much of me. Least favorite is Kavanaugh. I never liked him.
        Did anyone like Kavanaugh?
        click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

In order of preference (all main characters so far):
          McKay
          Sheppard
          Beckett
          Carter
          Dex
          Weir
          Emmagan
          Ford

McKay:
          He's refreshing and he's a character I can relate to, which is a change for me when it comes to watching television. First, there's the fact that he's almost as smart as I am. Second, there's the fact that he has some flaws I can relate to (I did, after all, just claim to be smarter than a fictional super-genius, though in fairness, I am quite intelligent), like his arrogance. Finally, there's the fact that in spite of his somewhat jerk-like nature, there is a degree of heroism to him, which I like to consider my own saving grace as well.

Sheppard:
          Just enough Jack O'Neill to let the franchise make fun of itself and other science fiction, but not so much that he is just a rehash of the SG1 formula. Had it not been for the recasting of the doctor role with McKay, I think he and Weir would have carried the series. Which is why I'm going to detour now to...

Weir:
          But they did cast McKay, and as much as I love him, the whole dynamic went out the window. From what I've read, the original doctor character was supposed to be far more toned down than McKay, which would have made him more like a glorified Grodin or Chucknician and possibly even a confidant of sorts, perhaps like Tuvok on Star Trek: Voyager, though I hesitate to compare anything positive to that show. I would speculate that Sheppard and Ford would have been like a couple of kids that she would have to watch over and Teyla, well, Teyla would still be Teyla (I'll deal with why Teyla ranks below her, in my mind, momentarily). Now instead we have McKay who with his insecurities and his own child-like nature set up (Hide and Seek's "In-vul-ner-a-ble"), we have two problems. The first is that Weir loses an aspect to her character, which is someone she could confide with, though perhaps Teyla could have filled that role, and is instead just on baby-sitting duty the whole time. However, I'm going to jump around again to...

Ford:
          Ford and Sheppard were supposed to be like a couple of kids. Instead Sheppard and McKay became like a couple of kids. This left Ford very redundant. I wish he had come back more with his addiction and all, but looking at season one, cutting him, while unfortunate, was the right move. Anyway, I feel like being a little more positive, so I'll go on to...

Beckett:
          First, credit to the accent and bits of dialect, which made everything he did just that much better. The character ended up added excellent touches of realism and skepticism to what tended to be at times an over-the-top cast. More importantly, he did so in his own somewhat over-the-top, which made him both entertaining and a check against that sort of thing. Lines like "I'm already in another galaxy: how much more out do you expect me to get?" or "I realize it's a wee bit creepy, but..." or even "My turtles!" added something to the show that humanized the cast a fair deal. He ended up filling in Ford's secondary role of providing the same type of reaction we might have if we found ourselves in another galaxy rather than being strictly business.

Dex:
          Yes, he's a caveman, but sometimes a caveman is a necessary part of a show that is supposed to be about many different types of characters. I think he would be more effective if the rest of the cast weren't quite so willing to throw their morals out the window when the situation called for it, because he could then also be the pragmatist. He's the guy that should be saying "this is war, and war is hell" in regards to the Wraith, but he does not need to because it seems everyone is already on the same page with that, which for my part I find rather disappointing.

Carter:
          On the one hand, I don't really care for Carter. Everyone likes her. She can fix everything. Blah, blah, blah, boring. Of course, this all changes when McKay is in the room, which like it or hate it for the McKay character, you must admit is an improvement for the Carter character. Therefore, I'm looking forward to her being on Atlantis. I also think they will smarten McKay up a little around her, though hopefully they will retain some of the tension between them along with the playful/offensive banter (it's somewhere in between, and while I can't find the right adjective to satisfy everyone, I do know I would call it hilarious). I'm cautiously optimistic about her arrival based on, well, nothing more than my own hunches.

Emmagan:
          I honestly feel that this character started with less potential than the other characters, and that season three showed what happened when people did not intentionally write stories for her. On the other hand, I must credit the actress from preventing her from getting boring. When Ford spoke later in season one as it became evident that he was not strictly necessary, my attitude was, "oh, it's the obligatory Ford line". When Teyla spoke in season three, though her role was similarly ancillary, I found myself happy that she was getting some lines. While I did rate her lower than Weir, I find it impressive that the character has held up so well despite her apparent neglect. Weir ended up edging her out simply because in spite of all the flaws that made the removal of character necessary, Weir at least had a good run. Teyla could easily move up on my list next year depending on what happens with the character.

There are my reasons. If the moderators will permit, I would be happy to accept disagreements from people, as I enjoy good discussion, but if the moderators feel there is no way to prevent such a discussion from getting out of hand, I can appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
            Or Lucius?
            sigpic

Comment

Favourite - McKay by far

Least favourite - Weir, she's a pathetic excuse for a character.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                Or Lucius?
                *shudders* Why didn't Shep shoot him too in Irrisponsible?
                click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                  Favourite: Weir
                  she's the perfect leader.
                  the way she treats people and cares about them, the way she defers in decision making, knows how to put her foot down, knows how to admit when she's wrong, torn between morals and protecting her people, her humility, smart, beautiful, daring, kind, self-sacrificing....
                  I don't like the way the writers keep bringing her out of character to suit the plot, and the way they let her become obsessed with her position and drunk with power this past season.

Least Favoite: Teyla, and Ellis (I wish him the most terrible death imaginable)
                  I don't like Teyla for being incredibly self-rightous over-confident disrespectful controlling person, and the way she is with strangers is really creepy, especially that fake smile . plus I hate that she forsakes her Athosian identity.
                  *looks around to see if he can discuss* phew no mod , so.....Why Ellis? He was only in one episode.

Comment

Favorite: McKay without question. Love him.

Least Favorite: Teyla. She could have been the most interesting character (she's an actual alien, after all, and I was hoping she'd have Daniel's guide role), but I find her laughable. Who is she? Member of Atlantis's star team. Resident hottie. Wraith!sensor. Leader of her entire civilization, even though she's absent. She's super!Teyla. I've tried for three seasons, but the constant Deanna Troi/Mary Sue/moral finger-wagger quality of the "O great, wise one" seriously bugs. Plus, she's completely emotion driven. I can't respect that, especially not in a supposed leader (of an entire civilization).

Comment

My favorite character?
                      Well, at first I am thinking it is a toss up between Sheppard and McKay and I needed to pick one, but I decided to go with both. And I say both because I think as characters they bring out the best and worst in each other. They are both stubborn and competitive with each other; yet they do need and have a respect for each other (that neither admits to). I say both because I can’t see either character being completely who they are if it wasn’t for the other. If you look thru the history of television, some of the most successful and memorable sets of friends have been two people who on the surface seem to be total opposites in every way. (ex. Laverne & Shirley, Starsky and Hutch, Luke Skywalker & Hans Solo). It provides interesting conflict that can be humorous or dramatic.

My least favorite?
                      I do not dislike any of the characters however at the moment I do think Weir is probably the weakest character. Considering how the storylines are going in season 3, (I have not seen all the S3 eps yet) I feel it is getting harder to make the character work – and I was not feeling this way at the beginning of season 3. I know it has been said said that her character has been inconsistent and blame the writers, and I both agree and disagree with this. While the character of Weir has been inconsistent I see that more as attempt by the writers to try to find a path for her at Atlantis – to delve into different aspects of the character, to give her more flaws, more interest and more teeth. But it pains me to say – because for the most part I do like Weir and don't want her gone completely from Atlantis- I just don’t see it working.

I like the characters of Ronon and Teyla. I don’t really see them as being weak, I think both characters are intriguing and have interesting backgrounds with lots of potential for stories, but I do think they have been underused and need more attention by the writers.
                      Last edited by EdenSG; 11 May 2007, 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                        Shouldn't this thread be converted into two polls (if possible)? It'd be easier to visualize who is the favorite SGA character on GW, and who is the least favorite.
                        Well this isn't a poll, this is just more of a who do you like most or least. This is individually based, not group based, we've had hundreds of those if that's the case. Why would one want to make it a poll thing?

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                        There was no joke, I really bloody well liked Kavanaugh. I was indifferent to him until I saw 38 Minutes and Weir jumped down his throat in front of his team for no reason. I had to go----WTF?! Ridiculed him so badly, and then she got upset when he called her on it. Well she got her come uppance in Hot Zone, so she new how it felt. Apparently, it wasn't so sweet. In any event, that changed my out look on Kavanaugh, and Critical Mass cleared up any other problems with Kav, and unfortunately for that aspect made Weir look pretty bad (although I understood her reasoning). He definitely looked like he had a job to do, and really he made Weir just look like a idiot each time. My opinion isn't based on what he made her idiocy around Kavanaugh, but that she let a man like him turn her into a petty 3 year old. Kav went up in my estimation and she went down more.

Plus, he reminded of this guy I used to know, who was a geek with a pony tail. He was one of my earlier crushes----he loved differential cal, collected comic cards, and had this kick ass anime collection. I loved doing differential cal with him. In any event, yeah, I really liked Kav AFTER 38 Minutes.
                        Click statement above to read article.

Comment

fave would be mckay - because he is just a boiling pot of mixed emotions and i watch him to see how/why he reacts the way he does.

least oh difficult...at present teyla - more due to lack of development than anything else and i dont know if its just me or what, but that stilted way of talking with the long pauses realy grates.

Spoiler:
                          next season i suspect least fave will be carter
                          sigpic
                          banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

At the moment
                            Fav character
                            Least fav character
                            But with Sam comming to Atlantis that might change. Depending on how they write her she has a chance to take either place !

Comment

My fave by a long way is Sheppard.

I don't really have a least fave 'cos they're all good, but I suppose, if you twisted my arm, it would be a tie between Weir and Teyla.

I thought, from her brief appearance in 'First Strike', that Keller looks like she could be a very likeable character. Jewel was great in 'Firefly' and she looks promising here.

I like Ellis more than Caldwell to be honest.

Comment

I like McKay and Zelenka the best because I like the science angle.

Teyla is the least because she is the supposed "leader" who does nothing but "follow".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X