Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever get a new class of ship? (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Suicidal Goldfish View Post
    My personal opinion is that the happenings in Unending will damage Atlantis (as a show).

Upgrading our 304's to the point where they can wipe out a couple of Ori motherships (ergo, a fair few Hive ships as well) means we wont realy have much to fear from the Wraith.

My fervent hope is that the Asgaard energy weapons will have been created SPECIFICALLY to destroy the Ori ships and will therefore have a negligable effect on other classes of vessel.

Here's hoping, anyways...
    I think not giving them it would hurt the show a lot more!

In Atlantis they destroy Wraith hives, personal shields, zpm's, Lantean warships, ultimate power sources, kill off living Ancients. The same crap they did in SG-1 all those years, where anything more advanced than an Alien toaster would be destroyed to stop them using it to their advantage.

In the beginning it was okay as they were just starting out, however now they are in an Ancient city, with access to it's database & technology. You can't base a show around Lanteans & it's main city but have the dwellers run around with no advanced tech. Yet the 2 enemies are probably the most ruthless out of any that's been faced so far in the SG Universe.

The show is primarily to do with Stargates. Wraith don't seem to have home bases that they have discovered as of yet (am sure they have some, but nobody knows of them as of yet), Asurans can use an iris to block their gate, same as Atlantis can do.

Hence that nullifies the Gate parts of the show. Therefore ships now come into the equation. If Atlantis didn't have ships, then they could only sit back & wait for the enemy to keep coming to them. Which like SG-1 for all those years with the threat of Goa'uld invasion, it would be a little stale. The only thing they could do was scavenge about Pegasus for ZPM's & weapons. The ships arrive & they suddenly they destroy them, just like in 'The Lost City', 'Threads' right at the last minute when it looks like all hope is gone. Then they done it in S2 of Atlantis when Daedalus showed up with it's advanced beaming tech & saved Atlantis. It's been done to death already.

We have a race that defeated the Ancients, probably the most powerful race to ever inhabit the universe. They had ZPM's, Drones, Energy Weapons, Shields, Uber Ships. Yet they couldn't defeat the Wraith. So why would humans with a much less powerful energy weapon because of the lack of ZPM's to power them at their full potential, with a max of 2 ships ever fighting together in the galaxy at any one time be able to wipe out 50+ Hives, 150+ Cruisers & many, many thousands of Darts.

The comes Asurans with all their knowledge & tech. Asgard themselves couldn't take on the Replicators. Were almost wiped out & only saved by the humans a number of times. Yet they were limited to Goa'uld & Asgard tech. Asurans have full Lantean tech at their disposal.

So while energy weapons may be able to allow them to destroy a Hive, they certainly wouldn't be able to stand with a few at any one time & get away with it. Therefore all it means it that Hives, now travel in packs to nullify the new weapons. While they aren't the threat anyhow, they are dying out & consigned to Pegasus. Asurans are the real threat, with the strength of their weapons & shields, the 304's probably won't be able to do much against them. It drops out over Asuras, fires it's energy weapons, the ZPM's hold the Asuran shields. They launch their own weapons fire, which will destroy the 304 (Minus ZPM) far quicker than any Asuran structure.

Again rules out another gung-ho attack, what it may mean is that even though they can destroy a Wraith ship 1-1, they may actually need the Wraith numbers intact to help battle the Asurans & weaken them.

So again, all it does it force the writers to make the enemies better & smarter in their tactics. Which is a good thing for any show!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenCaldwell View Post
      Will the pegasus galixy ever get a new class of ship? we have the Daedalus and the Apollo, which are the same class.

Spoiler:
      I hurd somewere that towards the mid season break we get a brand new class of ship, that comes to the Apollo aid. The ship is aquip with an energy type wepon like we sore the asgard use, along with asgard shield and beaming tech
      where did you hear this?

Comment

It's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
          Anytime they get near a new ship, they should have their destructive asses confined to the bridge for crimes against 'cool advanced technology'.
          Why would you confine someone to the bridge? I would think they could do the most damage there. Now confining them to the brig I can see.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I'm telling you we should be pumping out 303's and fitting them with new Asgard upgraded subsystems as fast as we can. But of course we won't, and we'll probably lose one or two more cool ships between now and season 5.
            www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

The TPTB wont give us that amount of fire power straight away, for all we know they might not give us any upgrades at all!
              This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
              Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
              we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Well were bound to get at least some upgrades from now until season 5.But i also wonder what sort of design the 305 would be.....could it be like the aceints design i.e The Orion or somthing else?
                LookSmart

Comment

Seeing as JM has said repeatedly we wont be seeing a 305 for the foreseeable, I wouldn't worry yourself too much if I were you
                  Last edited by The Suicidal Goldfish; 30 April 2007, 08:49 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

We will most likely see these upgrades in the new series 'Stargate Universe' as TPTB want to keep Atlantis and SG1 seperate.
                    sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

JM already said that the upgrades will be available in atlantis.

on his blog someone asked of we would see a new ship in altantis he said not in this season but upgrades to existing ships will happen and will be seen mid season.

and what was said they want sg-1 and atlantis separed is nonsense we have seen asgard ships from earth weapons and technology from earth and much more all come from sg-1 even a zpm came from sg-1 stargate is stargate doesn't matter of it's sg-1 or atlantis or universe can't keep it seperate.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                        Why would you confine someone to the bridge? I would think they could do the most damage there. Now confining them to the brig I can see.
                        Because the Captain of the ship & all his crew would be there. Say a badass like Caldwell or Ellis who wouldn't let them away with anything. This way they'd be right in front of him consigned to the one location, so could not get near any important parts of the ship to do something silly that would ultimately screw the ship up in the end. You know if they're left alone, they'll find part, panel or display that'll take their fancy, they'll screw around & then the ship has it's working lifespan cut down to the end of the ep.

I thought that was a nicer place to 'sentence' them to rather than the brig.

At least if they're kept away from it, a new crew can take over the next Lantean warship that they come across. Then we may actually get to keep it for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                          Because the Captain of the ship & all his crew would be there. Say a badass like Caldwell or Ellis who wouldn't let them away with anything. This way they'd be right in front of him consigned to the one location, so could not get near any important parts of the ship to do something silly that would ultimately screw the ship up in the end. You know if they're left alone, they'll find part, panel or display that'll take their fancy, they'll screw around & then the ship has it's working lifespan cut down to the end of the ep.

I thought that was a nicer place to 'sentence' them to rather than the brig.

At least if they're kept away from it, a new crew can take over the next Lantean warship that they come across. Then we may actually get to keep it for a change.
                          Not a chance your plan would work. McKay would sit on the self-destruct button or something.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                          X