Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever get a new class of ship? (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's called evolution they can't for ten season fight with sticks and stones they can defend a planet with only a stargate.

the oupost on earth has almost no drones left.

so when a ori ship comes they need to trow a rock.

the whole meaning was go to other planets find advanced technology that can defend the planet the gate will always be used becouse it is the fastest way to travel.

and even if we had a hundred ships with all the technology of the asgard we won't be able to win easy the ancients lost against the wraith and fighting the asurans is like fighting the ancients(in a sense)

Comment

Originally posted by genius21 View Post
      it's called evolution they can't for ten season fight with sticks and stones they can defend a planet with only a stargate.

the oupost on earth has almost no drones left.

so when a ori ship comes they need to trow a rock.

the whole meaning was go to other planets find advanced technology that can defend the planet the gate will always be used becouse it is the fastest way to travel.

and even if we had a hundred ships with all the technology of the asgard we won't be able to win easy the ancients lost against the wraith and fighting the asurans is like fighting the ancients(in a sense)
      I prefered the old way where our chances of survival where more due to our allies than our latest wanktoy.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by The Suicidal Goldfish View Post
        To an extent I agree with you (and thanks for managing to disagree without having to RED me...yes you know who you are).

But in the SG universe at the minute, we have Oddyessy, Daedelus and the Apollo, not counting Atlantis itself. I think that should be plenty to keep us occupied for now.

My problem isn't with ships per se, it's that we can now jump galaxies in days, shoot fancy ray guns and instantly teleport in and out of danger. Perhaps I'm wrong but SG1 was so alluring because it was POSSIBLE! The mythology fitted in and this even went so far as to match up with Atlantis, but now we've come so far (IMHO too far) in a very short space of time.

That said, I love the show and will continue to watch for the forseeable.
        The problem with that was in the beginning they were just starting out. Over the past 10 years, they've gained knowledge & technology.

In history, people use to travel long distances across the sea that would take donks to complete. Now they use planes that can do it in mere hours. Exact same scenario!

Ships is the natural progression to this in the SG universe. What good is the gate if Wraith or whoever are attacking you via powerful ships. You can't P90 them from the ground. The Gate will always be the primary method of travel when possible in the shows. Why waste hours, days, weeks on a ship when the gate can take you their in secs.

If ships weren't used, then all the Goa'uld needed to do was block access to certain gates with their own version of the Iris. With SG-1 doing the same, then nobody could ever have gotten anything accomplished. There would have been no threat. The reason that it worked was the fact that it was known that even without the gate, they would have still come in ship. The System Lords had tons of ships. Wraith have tons of ships, Ori have ships, Asurans have ships.

The simple fact is the gate is able to be blocked. So if that happens then there is no threat, no drama, no suspense = No Show! Ships have always been used from the beginning, it was just that they weren't advanced enough to get their own. Now they are! It doesn't mean they are still able to beat everyone, Wraith could use their numbers to destroy the ship that they send, while Asurans have ZPM's to boost their shields etc.

If anything, I'd say ships have well been underused in the show up until now. I'm not really caring for new ship models, just that they begin putting energy weapons on their ships as well as a few other bits & pieces.

Then they can write the enemies smarter, such as perhaps Wraith only travelling in armadas from now on. Perhaps see them finally being forced to deploy shields on their ships etc, etc.

So for me you can never have too much ship on ship action!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
          I prefered the old way where our chances of survival where more due to our allies than our latest wanktoy.
          i do agree with this, but it would be nice to have the Daedalus or Apollo on hand with the weponry to take down any threat if needed.
          This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
          Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
          we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Don't Fix it if its not Broken

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Well now we have

Spoiler:
              All the knowledge and technology of the Asgard

Any ship built with these modifications already part of it will then make the ship a new class as

Spoiler:
              The Odessey had the new technology added to it rather then the new technology built into it. So at the moment the odessey is still a deadalus class vessel

But with the new tech built in, the new ship - unless it's one we already know of - should be a new class
              sigpic
              Spoiler:
              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
              Forum Charmer
              Forum Ambassador
              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

According to JM, new Earth vessels are a long way off, but souped up versions of the existing ones may be seen alot sooner.
                Last edited by jenks; 25 April 2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
                  Don't Fix it if its not Broken
                  Too late?
                  As for Atlantis, I think it's not even fully built yet!
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Even if we can use the asgard tech to build a new energy wepon for Atlantis we would stand a better chance of survivle on a new planet or where they go, if the shield were to fail ( or we deplet the ZPM )

I do think we need to soup up one of our ships if not 2, we need the extra fire power agenst the wraith, its a fact that the Daedalus or the Apollo havent got the weponary to take a hive ship down.

i agree that the Oddessy should get upgraded to defend earth, and i think that the Daedalus should get an upgrade too, to help defend Atlantis!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StevenCaldwell View Post
                      Even if we can use the asgard tech to build a new energy wepon for Atlantis we would stand a better chance of survivle on a new planet or where they go, if the shield were to fail ( or we deplet the ZPM )

I do think we need to soup up one of our ships if not 2, we need the extra fire power agenst the wraith, its a fact that the Daedalus or the Apollo havent got the weponary to take a hive ship down.

i agree that the Oddessy should get upgraded to defend earth, and i think that the Daedalus should get an upgrade too, to help defend Atlantis!
                      There is no safe place to go, read spoilers for 'The Seer' to see what I mean!

With 50+ Hives ships, probably hundreds of cruisers. While millions of Asurans, then I think you might need more than 1 ship to be able to do anything in Pegasus.

You take something like 5/6 304's with energy weapons to be able to do anything worthwhile. With that amount of ships & carefully planned tactics, the Wraith would be goners. Without ZPM's to boost the power of the weapons, I seriously doubt Asurans would be troubled too much.

If Earth has been saved from the Ori & they are gone. Then Earth still has the outpost in Antartica, with a ZPM to power all the Drones.

The only real threat they would face after that is Ha'taks, so the Drones would eat them up for breakfast. However you could build energy cannons on the surface of the planet. That would function like the Tollan Ion cannons, or the Ancient one in 'Trinity' where they could be fired from the surface & would take out all enemy ships that come into orbit of the planet.

Although you could keep 1 304 back to be launched in case of emergency.

Odyssey being the most powerful, if still around, should definitely be sent to Pegasus full-time to help take on Wraith & Asurans.

Comment

i think it would be nice to have the advantage for a change, instead of taking on a wraith hive ship, talking down a few darts with the rail guns, and getting our shield depleted and bailing out.

it would be nice to engage a hive ship and disroy it. if we do get these up grades then we will be able to do this.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                          I agree. It seems we have gotten trekified, with the newest and latest tech off the block.. That was alwasy one of the better things about the earlier seasons.. our defeating the enemy by luck or skill.. Not just tech.

Comment

but in the early seasons of sg1 they only had the goauld now they have two major enemy's the wraith and asurans and these two make the goauld look like baby's.

you can't fight wars and protect people only with luck and some skill a enemy learns to so skills will get learned.

new battleships in season four will not happen but upgrades on the existing ships will.

new technology is evolution and the reason of the stargate programme is to find new technology's that can help defend the earth so now they do and have that and people begin to complain about it.

even if we could directly build o'neill class ships we still have to fight hard it will not make earth all powerfull.

Comment

My personal opinion is that the happenings in Unending will damage Atlantis (as a show).

Upgrading our 304's to the point where they can wipe out a couple of Ori motherships (ergo, a fair few Hive ships as well) means we wont realy have much to fear from the Wraith.

My fervent hope is that the Asgaard energy weapons will have been created SPECIFICALLY to destroy the Ori ships and will therefore have a negligable effect on other classes of vessel.

Here's hoping, anyways...

Comment

I don't think we'll be getting a new class of ship for a while, but suped-up versions of our existing ones are definate! But I don't think they'll be as powerful as the Odyssey. Remember, it had a zpm and an asgard power core. I don't think the Daedalus, Appollo, or any other earth ship will have either. So they won't be as powerful. Instead of us being the underdog in a fight one on one, we might be evenly matched with a hive.

On the ship issue thats been discussed a lot here, my thinking is that its the natural progression of the show. After ten years I feel it would be strange if we didn't have some sort of ship. Like they say in 'Disclosure', since we first encountered an enemy Hat'ak we have been trying to build a viable countermeasure. And thats the way it would be in real life.
                                sigpic
                                By *E*K*R*

Comment

Working...
                                X