This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
    You do realize the bulk of all entertainment is violence and sex right? I wont belittle your experiences and i expect we have more in common than you think. But if you scroll through the movie and tv listings they will be one of the following: a) violence b) sex c) violence AND sex

This is never going to change
    Which is why I watch very little tv.

Stargate: Atlantis
    Raines
    Last of the Summer Wine
    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
    Individuality is freedom lived.
    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Star Trek had sex...and I'm not just talking about Kirk.
      Are you thinking of the tribbles?
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
        Which is why I watch very little tv.

Stargate: Atlantis
        Raines
        Last of the Summer Wine
        *sigh* I know exactly what you mean.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Not a fan of over the top violence at all and would rather have sexy scenes anyday. I don't have a problem at all with seeing people show skin, breast, butts whatever. I don't want to watch full on sex scenes on anyshow and we don't have to worry about that ever happening on SGA. But kissing, showing skin or mild sexual scenes don't bother me at all. BSG over does them to the degree of annoyance. Practically every scene with Baltar has Six chewing on his face. But it wasn't just those type of scenes that put me off BSG - didn't really like the characters or the storyline. Way too dark and depressing for me.

I enjoy gritty realistic stories but heavy violence turns me off a show. Atlantis hasn't really been heavy on violence so far and I'm happy with that. Has raised some moral dilemmas though where I have not always sided with the writers but it makes interesting viewing.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
            Not a fan of over the top violence at all and would rather have sexy scenes anyday. I don't have a problem at all with seeing people show skin, breast, butts whatever. I don't want to watch full on sex scenes on anyshow and we don't have to worry about that ever happening on SGA. But kissing, showing skin or mild sexual scenes don't bother me at all. BSG over does them to the degree of annoyance. Practically every scene with Baltar has Six chewing on his face. But it wasn't just those type of scenes that put me off BSG - didn't really like the characters or the storyline. Way too dark and depressing for me.

I enjoy gritty realistic stories but heavy violence turns me off a show. Atlantis hasn't really been heavy on violence so far and I'm happy with that. Has raised some moral dilemmas though where I have not always sided with the writers but it makes interesting viewing.
            I agree. I don't mind that type of sexual inuendo. A little skin is fine but full on sex is unecessary as well as gratuitous violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              I agree. I don't mind that type of sexual inuendo. A little skin is fine but full on sex is unecessary as well as gratuitous violence.
              LOL.

Okay, now, for some reason this comment just made me picture certain BSG scenes on an Atlantis episode. I fell out of my chair.

Can you imagine a "Baltar/6" moment in some science lab or the quarters of some character in Atlantis? I'd need oxygen! And then I'd rewatch, of course, to make sure it wasn't a hallucination ...

Stargate does innuendo. Fixing the hair. Straightening the clothes. Kissing. Looks. Every now and then the aliens say something poetic to other characters in the guise of being more open emotionally than the Earther regulars.

Here's a question for anybody. Can the PTBs, or have the PTBs ever steamed up the windows, and I mean steamed them up, in Stargate? By steam, I mean with two people who are actually in the same room!

Comment

Originally posted by expendable_crewman View Post
                LOL.

Okay, now, for some reason this comment just made me picture certain BSG scenes on an Atlantis episode. I fell out of my chair.

Can you imagine a "Baltar/6" moment in some science lab or the quarters of some character in Atlantis? I'd need oxygen! And then I'd rewatch, of course, to make sure it wasn't a hallucination ...

Stargate does innuendo. Fixing the hair. Straightening the clothes. Kissing. Looks. Every now and then the aliens say something poetic to other characters in the guise of being more open emotionally than the Earther regulars.

Here's a question for anybody. Can the PTBs, or have the PTBs ever steamed up the windows, and I mean steamed them up, in Stargate? By steam, I mean with two people who are actually in the same room!
                Thats exactly what I don't want. As to you last statement as far asa I remember the best they do is start the process, ie kissing and touching and mabey a shirt hitting the floor and agressive making out then they leave the rest to us. Key examples would be, Chimera, and Unending.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Thats exactly what I don't want. As to you last statement as far asa I remember the best they do is start the process, ie kissing and touching and mabey a shirt hitting the floor and agressive making out then they leave the rest to us. Key examples would be, Chimera, and Unending.
                  You know what? I just realized that I loved Unending ...
                  Spoiler:
                  ... for the emotional rendering in the Daniel /Vala sequence, which was way more compelling than the kiss, etc.. When I rewatch, I pay much more attention to the dialogue, so ...

I'm going to have to agree with you here. Green for you. (oops, I need to spread it around some more first.)

Comment

I like realism.
                    Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                    Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                    Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                    Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                    You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                    Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                    One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                    You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                    The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                    www.7-scales.co.uk
                    http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Then you picked the wrong show

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Then you picked the wrong show
                        you picked the wrong genre
                        [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                        HARRIMAN
                        I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                        [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                        HARRIMAN
                        So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by expendable_crewman View Post
                          You know what? I just realized that I loved Unending ...
                          Spoiler:
                          ... for the emotional rendering in the Daniel /Vala sequence, which was way more compelling than the kiss, etc.. When I rewatch, I pay much more attention to the dialogue, so ...

I'm going to have to agree with you here. Green for you. (oops, I need to spread it around some more first.)
                          Drat no green oh well.

Comment

I'm not opposed to either sex or violence, as long as they are suited to the show/scene/storyline and are not there extraneously. Inserting graphic sexual or violent scenes just for it's own sake does nothing for me. For example, I loved the torture/feeding scenes in CG, because they were necessary. If you threw in a sex scene, would it make that episode better? No - because it would be completely out of context. Some shows excel with graphic scenes because it is well suited to the storyline and ambiance they are trying to achieve, and BSG would be a good example here. IMO, for SGA to start increasing the graphic nature of it's episodes would do more harm than good.

As far as the show getting darker, I would love to see this, but my idea of the show being darker is more psychological and moral/ethical complexity, more intensity in the character driven aspects of the storyline, and more subtlety in the storyarcs, especially where the villians are concerned. I fail to see how simply adding in more gore or nudity constitutes as either entertaining or dark.
                            sigpic
                            My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post

I saw ‘Rising Pt1 & Pt2’ a few days ago.

Atlantis is a Sci-Fi show that is for mixed ages. Old and Young.

When I saw ‘Rising’ a few days ago, I noticed that Ford put a Buttet in one of the Wraiths face point blank range. (with blood gusting out)

I understand that as it was a Pilot Episode, the episode had to be quite high budgit, action packed and generally fills us with the SG universe but does anyone else think that this short of violence should be bought to session 4 which I have been told will be allot darker than the previous sessions.

I personally think that viewing rating will not decrease if you put in this ‘darkness’.
                              Just look at how popular BattleStar is and that is quite a Dark show.

Simply questions.

Bullet in Face O.K – Yes or No.
                              Bullet in Face with Blood Gusting out – Yes or No

Would you like to see a more darker Atlantis like we saw in ‘Rising’ and ‘The Storm’ more

In SG-1 we never saw a Goa'uld get a bullet in the Head. I like to see this in Atlantis

Mods Feel free to add a Poll.

I'm gonna say...

spoilers for unending
                              Spoiler:
                              We watch an entire race commit suicide

We watch teal'c stab men.
                              Ofcourse we haven't seen to many point blank headshots, but theres been a few headshots.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                                I'm not opposed to either sex or violence, as long as they are suited to the show/scene/storyline and are not there extraneously. Inserting graphic sexual or violent scenes just for it's own sake does nothing for me. For example, I loved the torture/feeding scenes in CG, because they were necessary. If you threw in a sex scene, would it make that episode better? No - because it would be completely out of context. Some shows excel with graphic scenes because it is well suited to the storyline and ambiance they are trying to achieve, and BSG would be a good example here. IMO, for SGA to start increasing the graphic nature of it's episodes would do more harm than good.

As far as the show getting darker, I would love to see this, but my idea of the show being darker is more psychological and moral/ethical complexity, more intensity in the character driven aspects of the storyline, and more subtlety in the storyarcs, especially where the villians are concerned. I fail to see how simply adding in more gore or nudity constitutes as either entertaining or dark.
                                Agreed. If it makes sense and doesnt detract from the show fine but most of the time shows that have graphic violence or intense sexual situations are just there to be there. It's the main reason I stopped watching BSG. It would do more harm than good IMO as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X