This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[spoken in a crotchety old lady voice]

In my days, I've seen lots of science fiction come and go. Some shows have improved over time, some got worse and worse as the seasons progressed.

[/old lady voice]

Shows seem to do best with ratings, and also in terms of long-term fan appreciation, when they have darker storylines tempered with light-hearted banter and the occasional humorous "filler" ep to give us a break. I like seeing individual episodes within a greater story arc.

Farscape and DS9 both did that well. I felt that SG1's last couple seasons took the story arc aspect too far. IMO, I would have preferred to see each episode as a little more discreet from all the others.

But that's just me. We'll just have to wait and see what turns Atlantis takes.
    sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      The way I look at it is I have loved all three seasons , and IMO each season has improved over the last and I expect the same here. IMO each season got better and better and I have no doubt that season four will follow the same route.
      Well IMHO Season one was the only great season of SGA. The rest have been filler eps calling themselves a Season.

If it had started with the rubbish of season two I might agree, as season 3 was better then season 2 *of course that is my opinion* but after watching and re-watching season one and really enjoying it, the show has gone from great to medico in two years so Yeah it does need a huge turnaround or this will most definitely be its last, or rather the last season anyone really cared about it enough to complain.

Even if I think the complaining is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
        Well IMHO Season one was the only great season of SGA. The rest have been filler eps calling themselves a Season.

If it had started with the rubbish of season two I might agree, as season 3 was better then season 2 *of course that is my opinion* but after watching and re-watching season one and really enjoying it, the show has gone from great to medico in two years so Yeah it does need a huge turnaround or this will most definitely be its last, or rather the last season anyone really cared about it enough to complain.

Well at least YOU still care for season four Willow'sCat, I certainly don't...unless to rant and complain how the show goes to the dogs .
        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
        And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          I'd be surprised since the franchise has become more comedic each season for the past 3 years.
          Well Atlantis was originally concieved to be a darker show and I hope they take the DS9 route because dark is so fun to watch. I really can't wait for S4 with the arcs and the war.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I loved DS9 and I would love to see new episodes or movies made with it. But Atlantis is not DS9. It sort of is annoying that they trey to copy good things from other shwos and try to import it to Atlantis.
            I loved Atlantis for being Atlantis. It does not have to change too much. Better stories would have been enough... And as a major Star Trek fan such tries to copy DS9 with the Worf Carter thing, it is just annoying to me.
            sigpic

Peter Petrelli: What do you do with something that killed you?
            Nathan Petrelli: You could put it underneath your pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post

i don't think season two was just filler. i think it still had the main storylines and i still think it is in the great catagory. I can easily see it lasting past season 4 and still being great.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                Well at least YOU still care for season four Willow'sCat, I certainly don't...unless to rant and complain how the show goes to the dogs .

And how would you know that the show is truly going to the dogs if you don't watch season 4?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  And how would you know that the show is truly going to the dogs if you don't watch season 4?

In the same way that many fans are sure season 4 will be fantastic . . . instinct and gut feeling. Plus, the show is now at the mercy of someone who (it is rumored) thought Irresistible was one of the best episodes of season 3. Good luck with that. LOL.
                  Last edited by nowvoyager908; 25 March 2007, 02:54 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                    Well I am just sticking out the first few eps as I have said on numerous occasions, if it treads the same weary path as the last couple of years then I am gone.

The only real reason I will not join in the chorus of *never watching again* or the other stuff, is that those people seem to be saying if one or two things (like a character returning) were to happen that the show would once again be great. I think it needs a heck of a lot more to happen then that. It needs a complete overhaul.

I actually skipped two episodes in season 3, and I wish I had skipped at least three others, and I almost fell asleep during one episode.... the show is on its death bed I am just waiting for the last rights now.
                    Last edited by Willow'sCat; 25 March 2007, 05:21 PM. Reason: Spelling...and stuff. It is very early here. *grumbles*

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                      In the same way that many fans are sure season 4 will be fantastic . . . instinct and gut feeling. Plus, the show is now at the mercy of someone who (it is rumored) thought Irresistible was one of the best episodes of season 3. Good luck with that. LOL.
                      News flash buddy, pretty much everyone at Bridge thought it was a good episode. Certainly the cast likes it, and most of the writers do too. Oh no, we're doomed. Oh, and Brad Wright and Carl Binder came up with the thing, and the former was in charge of Atlantis for the last 3 years, so, still think we're doomed?

And I was actually getting at when Season 4 aires. I might have blurted out that I thought Season 4 might be good somewhere, but as of right now, I'm still waiting to see what's going to happen. When it does air, we'll all know, but how would you know if you don't watch?

EDIT: Ok, looks like Brad Wright AND Rob Cooper came up with the idea of Irresistable. Looks like a lot of people liked it after all, behind the scenes. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        News flash buddy, pretty much everyone at Bridge thought it was a good episode. Certainly the cast likes it, and most of the writers do too. Oh no, we're doomed. Oh, and Brad Wright and Carl Binder came up with the thing, and the former was in charge of Atlantis for the last 3 years, so, still think we're doomed?

And I was actually getting at when Season 4 aires. I might have blurted out that I thought Season 4 might be good somewhere, but as of right now, I'm still waiting to see what's going to happen. When it does air, we'll all know, but how would you know if you don't watch?

EDIT: Ok, looks like Brad Wright AND Rob Cooper came up with the idea of Irresistable. Looks like a lot of people liked it after all, behind the scenes. LOL!
                        I don't care if Shakespeare wrote Irresistible. LOL. It still is an episode many fans consider to be among the most ill-conceived of any season. And the fact that is was some kind of collaborative creative effort doesn't exactly calm my fears. But again, this is all a matter of opinion. As is any fan's decision to watch or not watch season 4 based on what has been spoiled so far. Hope it works out for you.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't care if Shakespeare wrote Irresistible. LOL. It still is an episode many fans consider to be among the most ill-conceived of any season. And the fact that is was some kind of collaborative creative effort doesn't exactly calm my fears. But again, this is all a matter of opinion. As is any fan's decision to watch or not watch season 4 based on what has been spoiled so far. Hope it works out for you.
                          You make a good point. it's all in the eye of the viewer. I liked irrisistable though i agree it wasnt the best. I still think season 4 will be great though I still have my reservations, mainly at how well Carter will fit in. I have great faith in TPTB however so I don't think they'll let us fans down.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            You make a good point. it's all in the eye of the viewer. I liked irrisistable though i agree it wasnt the best. I still think season 4 will be great though I still have my reservations, mainly at how well Carter will fit in. I have great faith in TPTB however so I don't think they'll let us fans down.

You know what the funniest thing is though. We're all beating each other up about watching vs. not watching. And fighting about making decisions based on rumors and spoilers and speculation. But, my feeling is the deciding factor will have nothing to do with any of this. The bottom line will be how SciFi promotes the back half of season 3 in the US and how they program the show in the fall. How will SGA do against first run episodes of CSI or Heroes or Grey's or whatever. In July, they run up against primarily reruns, but in the fall? Different ballgame.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
                              So far they pulled a 'Voyager' by not be able to return to Earth for 2 Sessions.
                              One season, actually. It wasn't like Voyager either. Earth knew exactly where Atlantis was, they just didn't have a ship that could get there. In Voyager's situation, Starfleet declared the ship lost after about a year. Voyager finally made contact in the middle of the fourth year. The problem was, Voyager wasn't fast enough to get home in a reasonable amount of time. Starfleet didn't have a ship capable of reaching Voyager in a reasonable amount of time either. It was an entirely different situation from Atlantis.

They are going pull a ‘Daniel Jackson’ by replacing Weir with carter hopefully for one session with only few reoccurring episodes.
                              Carter will be around for 14 episodes, not a few. There is also no garuntee that Weir will be back. It's possible that Carter replacing Weir is temporary, but it's also possible that the change is permanent. After all, Jonas replacing Daniel was intended to be permanent until MS agreed to come back.

I hope the Produces DON'T pull an ‘Enterprise’ on the Third Show.
                              They've already said it will not be a prequel.

There’ve also pulled a ‘Sliders’ by changing and killing off a few main Characters.
                              Most modern shows have major cast changes.

Comment

I don't care if Shakespeare wrote Irresistible. LOL. It still is an episode many fans consider to be among the most ill-conceived of any season. And the fact that is was some kind of collaborative creative effort doesn't exactly calm my fears.
                                Oh, I'm not debating that; just your assertion that, just because JM likes Irresistable, he's a bad bad producer, which is clearly false.

But again, this is all a matter of opinion. As is any fan's decision to watch or not watch season 4 based on what has been spoiled so far. Hope it works out for you.
                                It is indeed their decision, and again, I'm not debating that (were you one of those who misinterpreted JM's words? ). It's just that the original poster I quoted said she was going to rant and complain about a supposedly bad season that she has yet to see, and will presumably never see. I just find that...strange. I'm not pressuring her to see it, nor am I telling her off for not seeing it. I just pointed out something I don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X