Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit, I'm really nervous about season 4.

I can live with the loss of Carson. Jewel Staite even seems kinda cool (not as awesome as Carson, but cool enough that I don't hate her like I hate the SG-1 doctor).

I don't think Weir is out of the picture (I have a feeling they're just throwing her back into a semi-Hammond role... but I won't get into my theory on this), so I'm only semi-nervous about that.

What really is making me worried is what a lot of others in this thread have been debating about: Carter.

Now don't get me wrong, Sam is my favorite SG-1 character. But that's just the thing. She's an SG-1 character... not Atlantis. I don't mind SG-1 characters dropping by to say hello - it only makes sense since there stories are in conjunction with each other. But 14 episodes (it was something like that, right?) seems a bit heavy to me. I'm just worried that the SG-1 characters being crossed over is going to weigh Atlantis down instead of help it. I felt like a lot of the characters had started to go stale (which is to be expected after playing the same character for 10 years) and with SG-1's boat sinking, I don't want to see them capsize Atlantis too. I think another thing that is bothering me is why scale back Elizabeth's screen time and then bring in a different female lead? It seems iffy to me I guess.

I think the only way I'm going to be ok with it is if Sam has to work her way in. I want her to feel a bit uncomfortable since she is really an outsider (minus her strange relationship with McKay). But what worries me is that she's just going to pop in and all of a sudden she'll be best buddies with everyone as if her being their is the most natural thing in the world.

Of course, who am I kidding? They could do a whole Atlantis season with sock puppets and I'd still watch it. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      First of all Vaberella I have nothing against Carterrocks and I wasn't harassing her/him or attacking him/her. I don't do that, at least I try to remain as respectful as possible. I'm a softie, and not looking for a fight because that's totally and utterly useless.

But I guess you are out for one or you wouldn't have thrown yourself in the middle of it. All I wanted was a simple explanation why someone likeminded to Carterrocks thinks season 4 is going to be the best season yet without knowing whether maybe season 1,2,3 weren't the best ever.

Bluealien at least, gives me a decent and friendly reply, without telling me to back off like a rabid dog.

Yes, I like Weir and Carson, and Carter too. But as a person who has been watching from episode one, and seen the good, the bad and the ugly, it's kinda hard to understand. I'm not the kind of person who jumps into the middle of a TV-series and will tell everybody who wants to hear it, this season is totally the best because there's this character I know from this other show I've been watching since I first saw an episode on TV so many years ago. But previous seasons just can't be good because that character wasn't there yet.

I know that there people who probably do this all the time and that's fine by me, but why not give the rest a chance too, you know catch up on what has been happening before.

Oh well, this is probably gonna cost me some red reps but I'm just saying and I'm doing my very best to understand, even if it's going to take a while to have it filtered through to the core of my pea-brain.
      Trying to give you green for a while but can't.
      Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
      at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by Reichiru View Post
        I have to admit, I'm really nervous about season 4.

I can live with the loss of Carson. Jewel Staite even seems kinda cool (not as awesome as Carson, but cool enough that I don't hate her like I hate the SG-1 doctor).

I don't think Weir is out of the picture (I have a feeling they're just throwing her back into a semi-Hammond role... but I won't get into my theory on this), so I'm only semi-nervous about that.

What really is making me worried is what a lot of others in this thread have been debating about: Carter.

Now don't get me wrong, Sam is my favorite SG-1 character. But that's just the thing. She's an SG-1 character... not Atlantis. I don't mind SG-1 characters dropping by to say hello - it only makes sense since there stories are in conjunction with each other. But 14 episodes (it was something like that, right?) seems a bit heavy to me. I'm just worried that the SG-1 characters being crossed over is going to weigh Atlantis down instead of help it. I felt like a lot of the characters had started to go stale (which is to be expected after playing the same character for 10 years) and with SG-1's boat sinking, I don't want to see them capsize Atlantis too. I think another thing that is bothering me is why scale back Elizabeth's screen time and then bring in a different female lead? It seems iffy to me I guess.

I think the only way I'm going to be ok with it is if Sam has to work her way in. I want her to feel a bit uncomfortable since she is really an outsider (minus her strange relationship with McKay). But what worries me is that she's just going to pop in and all of a sudden she'll be best buddies with everyone as if her being their is the most natural thing in the world.

Of course, who am I kidding? They could do a whole Atlantis season with sock puppets and I'd still watch it. haha

Now this is a great post. I totally respect your questions and worries. I have my own in regards to Carter, mainly to her relationship with other characters. I'm deciding on waiting on that before I make a decision.

I've come to see that actually the SG1 characters actually should have been bled more into the SGA characters. I say this because the cause and effect that arises in Atlantis directly affects those at the SGC(?). Wraith make it through Earth has problems. Genii military contingent take over, anything could happen. So thinking back, although I loved the progression---I did see that there should have been a developing tie between the two as has been done.

The inception of Carter does work for me, despite my misgivings. Thinking more on her character, she's had experience with this sort of thing. The IOA and SGC is probably sending her and a team (hence Teal'C's presence) to aid in the search for Atlantis. The military does have a strong belief in not leaving their people behind and if they can try...heck why not? Plus I can also see her being a pretty effective authoritive representative while Weir is incapacitated.

It would also be personally interesting for me to see John's interaction with Sam. Not because she's female, but because she would be his military commander but as he's technically in charge of Atlantis, would he relinquish a level of power to her? And if so, why? So even if I do agree that 14 may be excessive it could also be in the minutest way to expand on the other characters. Such as John and admittedly Rodney.

To counter your comment on staleness of some of the older characters from SG1, this could be a great opportunity to give her some more dimension. She's in command of her own ship---while from what I remember Carter took orders from Mitchell. This could be a great moment to see her in action on her own and in command. It could breath new life and indirectly rejuvenate the other characters, to an unexpected level. Of course this could be reaching, but I'm pretty excited as I mentioned about S4.

That's what I'm in it for. The story and I'd watch. I'm not tied to a character or actor too much that my entire investment in the show is based on their staying power or lack there of. I love McKay but he's not the end all be all of the show. So if it was done by sockies or skins, I'm all for it.

Great post by the way, you had me thinking a lot about the lead actress, it was just worded very differently from other posters. Taking on your outlook it doesn't make much sense unless their finding ways to pretty much build each character in their own direction and they are doing only a few at a time. It seems to be Team oriented focus and maybe then they'll really delve into the others. By the way I'm a Keller fanatic, I loved Carson as well, but I really like Keller.

But shoot, if the show was taken over by women, I would be in paradise. They could keep McKay as my eye candy. I love that man's behind. ~sigh~

Last edited by vaberella; 23 March 2007, 12:42 AM.
        Click statement above to read article.

Comment

See, Carter-fan thinks season 4 is going to be the best so far but has barely seen season 2 or 3... Just because SC is going to be in it. Obviously Atlantis isn't good enough then when there's no SG1-character to save the day...

Nothing personal on you Carterrocks. There's others like you, and I respect their opinions and thoughts.

I just can't grasp the idea or the thinking-pattern of such people. Maybe someone can explain this to me... (unless of course there's nothing to explain).
          How can you genrealize us Carter fans? I have seen all of seasons 1-3 and love them imensely and also love Carter and think she can add alot to Atlantis. I understand your view but as much as I respect your opinion what gets anoying, and it's not just you but it sounds like you say us carter fans are not as much of a fan as those who arent and in many cases is not true.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
            Who loves my new sig?! I felt it was fitting.
            You should give me credit for it.

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
            Trying to give you green for a while but can't.
            That's okay, mental green does the trick as well.

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            How can you genrealize us Carter fans? I have seen all of seasons 1-3 and love them imensely and also love Carter and think she can add alot to Atlantis. I understand your view but as much as I respect your opinion what gets anoying, and it's not just you but it sounds like you say us carter fans are not as much of a fan as those who arent and in many cases is not true.
            I'm not generalizing, cause I too am a Carter-fan. But, I'm not someone who will jump in the middle of TV-show saying the next (or current season) is going to best yet (well...not gonna repeat myself).

I am a Carter-fan too, just don't like to see her on SGA. And what is a fan anyway? How do you define fan? I don't even know how to define that, so why would would a Carter-fan or and Elizabeth-fan, or a Teyla, Rodney, Sheppard, Daniel-fan be any less than any other?

But I shouldn't bother cause words ae going to be taken out of context, and given a whole different meaning and I really wonder if people actually read the whole message, cause I explicitly said "nothing personal" but apparently that makes it all the more personal.

*beaming out*
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

no season 4 will not be the best but season 4 to let's say 10 will be so season 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 will all be the best

Comment

You should give me credit for it.

That's okay, mental green does the trick as well.

I'm not generalizing, cause I too am a Carter-fan. But, I'm not someone who will jump in the middle of TV-show saying the next (or current season) is going to best yet (well...not gonna repeat myself).

I am a Carter-fan too, just don't like to see her on SGA. And what is a fan anyway? How do you define fan? I don't even know how to define that, so why would would a Carter-fan or and Elizabeth-fan, or a Teyla, Rodney, Sheppard, Daniel-fan be any less than any other?

But I shouldn't bother cause words ae going to be taken out of context, and given a whole different meaning and I really wonder if people actually read the whole message, cause I explicitly said "nothing personal" but apparently that makes it all the more personal.

*beaming out*
                You make a good point. There is no proof that it will be the best season but I have faith it will be a great season. I know your concerns with her being that she will/might detract from the other characters. That and you don't want SG-1 characters on Atlantis and I respect that. I just hope your fears arent confirmed as I think she can be a good adition. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  You make a good point. There is no proof that it will be the best season but I have faith it will be a great season. I know your concerns with her being that she will/might detract from the other characters. That and you don't want SG-1 characters on Atlantis and I respect that. I just hope your fears arent confirmed as I think she can be a good adition. We shall see.
                  I will watch, because I have a wait-and-see attitude at the moment. I was a bit skeptical when CM/BB came on board SG1 but I loved the dude righht away. So, maybe I won't mind Carter's presence all that much.

I just hope TPTB don't mess things up too fast too soon, cause I really woud like season 5 to be the best, and after that season 6, and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by Reichiru View Post
                    Ha! Yes, this is exactly what I've been trying to say! That's what is worrying me too. After all they made her and Cam best buddies and there was never any reason given for that. It worked alright I guess because Cam's a "never met a stranger" type of guy. But I can't see Shep or Ronan or Teyla being quite so accepting (or even Rodney really-after all, Atlantis is "his" territory, and he kind of tends to see Carter as his SG1 rival) and not have me wondering if they've all been replaced by robots.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                      ...and not have me wondering if they've all been replaced by robots.
                      Why do you think their ZPM is always depleted? They haven't discovered the Energizer batteries yet.

Comment

With all of the incredible spoilers given I can’t think anything but positive thoughts about season 4.
                        So yeah, I do think it will be fantastic and WILL probably end up being the best.

Comment

I'm so out of the loop - I had no idea Tapping was signed for so many episodes. I'm a little worried that Atlantis might become a little "SG-1 esque" (which imo hasn't been the greatest lately). Tapping is a capable actress and as long as she's integrated correctly I feel that she'll be a major asset to the cast. I hope that because there's another genius scientist on the Atlantis team we get to see some more ancient tech. - I've always been disappointed with the tech we've seen/discovered.

This was my first post in about a year! Looking forward to getting back into the community!
                          Long live the Asgard

Long live my buddy Thor

Comment

Originally posted by asgardcmndr View Post
                            I'm so out of the loop - I had no idea Tapping was signed for so many episodes. I'm a little worried that Atlantis might become a little "SG-1 esque" (which imo hasn't been the greatest lately). Tapping is a capable actress and as long as she's integrated correctly I feel that she'll be a major asset to the cast. I hope that because there's another genius scientist on the Atlantis team we get to see some more ancient tech. - I've always been disappointed with the tech we've seen/discovered.

This was my first post in about a year! Looking forward to getting back into the community!
                            Can you explain by what you mean by "SG-1 esque", for someone who's not familiar with SG1 storylines too much?
                            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I will watch, because I have a wait-and-see attitude at the moment. I was a bit skeptical when CM/BB came on board SG1 but I loved the dude righht away. So, maybe I won't mind Carter's presence all that much.

I just hope TPTB don't mess things up too fast too soon, cause I really woud like season 5 to be the best, and after that season 6, and so on...
                              As was I and I liked him at the satrt too. I don't think they'll mess things up b/c I too want it to go on and on and on....

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                                Can you explain by what you mean by "SG-1 esque", for someone who's not familiar with SG1 story lines too much?
                                I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes. In my opinion, starting with season 9, SG-1 got a little cliche. Once RDA left I feel that the chars. didn't have the same level of interaction that they used to. Back in the original seasons SG-1 really felt like a team of explorers, and now they feel like cowboys (to me). Sam's primary role as a scientist seems to get lost in the later seasons and while she still contributes a lot to the story line I feel the story in general has maybe begun to dry up. As I was watching season 9 and 10, SG-1 had it's share of really awesome episodes but the one's that weren't really awesome just felt like filler being stuffed throughout the Ori storyline. In my opinion this is to be expected and I don't really blame anyone. SG-1 has been running for 10 seasons; that's a lot of episodes and a lot of stories - ideas are probably running a little short (it's also probably one reason they're switching to movies).

Because of all this, I feel I've lost some connection with the SG-1 storyline and chars. and that's why I made the "SG-1 esque" comment (because I don't want to feel this way about Atlantis). If TPTB do integrate Carter into the Atlantis story line I really hope they bring back the early carter and I really hope they stress her role as a scientist rather than someone who is just along for the ride.

P.S. I do still watch SG-1, I'll probably watch it until it goes off the air (same with Atlantis). I'm not an SG-1 hater - I still like it very much. After all, that is the show that originally got me hooked on the franchise. I was just trying to say that I felt SG-1 script went through a change in style that I personally didn't really like. I'm looking forward to new episodes!
                                Long live the Asgard

Long live my buddy Thor

Comment

Working...
                                X