Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shilds used on erising part 1 and 2 were different to the big oe they did extend jsut around the surface of the structures, we may just not know how to actually do that yet.

Comment

as we know the ancients were a very powerful race so i dont think they came up with a second shield they would figure o we can make zpms why make somethings small. remember the ancients did stuff BIG.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

It does not matter if they have backup shields that backup the backup shields!

Rodney said that they only have 24 hours left at the current rate before they loose the shield… and made a few disturbing comments…

It does not matter how much love you make to that ZPM’s, if there is not power then there is no shield, or lights or anything..

If there is no shield then everything goes into space, all hope and air (followed by tables and chairs…etc)

Remember one thing. The Ancients had the knowledge to make ZPM’s, they would have had backup ZPM’s to help them in situations like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
          It does not matter if they have backup shields that backup the backup shields!

Rodney said that they only have 24 hours left at the current rate before they loose the shield… and made a few disturbing comments…

It does not matter how much love you make to that ZPM’s, if there is not power then there is no shield, or lights or anything..

If there is no shield then everything goes into space, all hope and air (followed by tables and chairs…etc)

Remember one thing. The Ancients had the knowledge to make ZPM’s, they would have had backup ZPM’s to help them in situations like this.

The ancients were not dumb like Rodney McStupid here. You simply don't do what McKay did with one ZPM. On top of that, whilst fleeing Pegasus, I am sure they took plenty of ZPMs with them to power the old outposts they left behind. Janus was helpful but he made a huge sacrifice: gave Weir instructions on how to use what she had otherwise the Lantians would have found her and bye bye SGA in "The Rising".

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
            The ancients were not dumb like Rodney McStupid here. You simply don't do what McKay did with one ZPM. On top of that, whilst fleeing Pegasus, I am sure they took plenty of ZPMs with them to power the old outposts they left behind. Janus was helpful but he made a huge sacrifice: gave Weir instructions on how to use what she had otherwise the Lantians would have found her and bye bye SGA in "The Rising".
            Janus give 5 gate address, where each one got ZPM, so list of 5 ZPM. One they check, but why not rest of list? Rodney McKay sayd there been one of those address before, but sure they did not look ZPM then, because they did not know it.
            Asgard in memoriam

Comment

Originally posted by RogueEntity View Post
              So, what i am suggesting/speculating, is that the main dome-shaped shield itself could not stay operating with the power levels dropping, so it started shrinking in size, and as it retreated back over the outer sections of the city, forcefields went up to protect those sections, and eventually this shield failed leaving just the minimum shielding protecting the city from being flooded.
              At these minimum levels, their effectivlly is no shield protecting the entire city, just these open sections, if the city was hit by a weapon, their is nothing protecting the closed metal structures, and damage would be done.

When McKay was talking about the shield being powered by the Nahquadah generators, he was referring to when they were underwater, since they didnt think the city could be brought to the surface. When they were on the surface, Weir asked if the shield could be powered for defensive purposes, McKay said no, but he didnt say weither or not the shield could be operated at minimum power levels as the did when underwater, without the weight of the ocean against them, it is likly that they could be powered in this way.

As you aptly said, all we can do is speculate, and that is all you can do as well. I saw the same episdodes you saw, and I have come to a different conclusion from you. All we are doing is speculating, I did notice one thing in Rising, McKay seems to use the words shield and forcefield interchangably, he said the forcefield holding back the ocean at one point, and later referred to the main shield, Grodin was talking about sections of the forcefield collapsing, and the computer was talking about the shield.
              I'll keep this fairly brief because it's getting rather tedious with all this repetition!

Fact: Not enough power to keep the shield going.
              Fact: Shield did not fail until the city lifted off the bottom of the ocean. A control panel even says shield failure imminent.
              Fact: It's specifically said in the episode that the shield was forced to sacrifice parts of the city in order to keep powering the shield to the more important areas.

They've said a few times that areas/parts of the city were flooded & they were unable to get access to them.

So how in the blue hell could this backup forcefield be going up in these sections to protect them from the ocean, when they've said areas were flooded. While the power problem kinda throws a major spanner in your theory. If there wasn't enough power to maintain the shield, even at the bare minimum protection levels. How on Earth could all these many forcefields come on to protect areas of the city? That means the shield fails, it sacrifices areas of the city because of power requirements, backup shields automatically come on to protect these areas to keep them safe. Despite them not having enough power to keep the main shield operating at minimum levels. Despite them showing you in Rising where the shield fails & part of the city goes underwater. They even say parts of the city were sacrificed!

Simply: If they couldn't power the main shield at the bare minimum level, if it was forced to sacrifice parts of the city in order to keep operating, then for the life of me I cannot fathom how it would magically have power to raise all these forcefields that will hold back the ocean. Wouldn't they need the same amount of power to hold back the same ocean with the same pressures as the main shield.

McKay wasn't just talking about holding back the ocean with the naquadah generators like you suggest. If that was the case, then why didn't they use it. Suggesting that even though this is said while on the surface:

"WEIR: So now can our naqahdah generators supply enough power to the shield for defensive purposes?

McKAY: Not even close.

SHEPPARD: On the surface without a shield? We're target practice."

Not even close, but you suggest that they actually could raise the shield at mimimum levels. They tied all their resources together & couldn't even dial the gate for more than 1.3 secs.

If they could do it, then why didn't they use it to raise the shield for a few secs in 'TS/TE' until the danger had passed. We've seen minimum power levels hold back a whole ocean. So if it could have been activated, then it would have only been for a few secs.

Fact is when they arrived, they could only do calculations on what power the ZPM already had. Therefore that's all they had to work with. So when he says the power they have is nowhere near enough to power the shield, then they aren't talking about fully powering it because they didn't have a full ZPM in which to do calculations with. They only had an almost depleted ZPM that was powering it at the bare minimum levels. They say they don't even have anywhere near enough power to activate the shield. Therefore naquadah generators don't work.

What about in 'The Siege II', they had extra power brought through including a MKII that is 6 times more powerful than a normal MKI. Yet they never bother to try & raise shields again. They didn't raise shields becuase they couldn't, naquadah generators don't have enough power.

I think this will put an end to that notion:

EVERETT: I have another job for you. I understand that this base is equipped with a chair weapons platform like the one we found in Antarctica.

WEIR: Yes, but we have no way of powering it.
              They couldn't even power the control chair with their generators, yet we are to beleive that they could turn on the shield.

Lastly, afraid your seeing things that simply aren't there. All this shields, forcefields stuff is nothing. Especially when your trying to imply that theya re talking about 2 different things. If you want proof that they are talking about the exact same thing then here it is:

(They gaze out of the window. Looking up, they can see sunlight glinting on the surface of the water but it's a long way up. Outside, more of the city can be seen -- lots of different sized and shaped elegant towers.)

SUMNER: I'd say we're under several hundred feet of ocean. If we can't dial out, this could be a problem.

McKAY (from behind them): Colonel. Doctor Weir.

SHEPPARD: We're under water!

McKAY (walking over to join them): Yes I was just, uh, coming to tell you. Fortunately there is some sort of a forcefield holding back the w...water. (He stops and stares at the sight out of the window.) Oh, that is impressive, isn't it?
              The very first time the shield is even referenced or seen in the episode by the expedition members, they call it a forcefield! So again, nothing in that at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis- View Post
                Janus give 5 gate address, where each one got ZPM, so list of 5 ZPM. One they check, but why not rest of list? Rodney McKay sayd there been one of those address before, but sure they did not look ZPM then, because they did not know it.
                they knew there was a zpm on that planet it was the planet from childhoods end or something like that with the emp shield that made the pj crash and rodney tested its power and it had a teeny weeny bit left in it so that one was left out. they could still get the zpm form brotherhood if they could find them.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ur uncle urgo View Post
                  they knew there was a zpm on that planet it was the planet from childhoods end or something like that with the emp shield that made the pj crash and rodney tested its power and it had a teeny weeny bit left in it so that one was left out. they could still get the zpm form brotherhood if they could find them.
                  That's correct! In JM's old thread, he also said that they had been to all five planets that were on the map. However don't understand why they can't find the location of the planet that houses the ZPM.

We know they check the DHD which gives them a list something like 50 of the last dialled addresses.

So what they should have done was go back & get the list of addresses. I doubt these primitive people would be dialling & in contact with 50 different worlds. So the moment Daedalus came in S2, they could have went to these planets & scanned for the ZPM's. More than ever, they should be doing it at the beginning of S3 given their current circumstances.

Comment

Guys and Girls

There is no secondary shield on Atlantis!

Go read through the omnipedia, watch all the episodes (again!) Until they write it somewhere or someone says so on the show.... there is no secondary shield!

In ("SUBMERSION" 318) they had forcefields in the halways... there one can only asume that atlantis has the same technology installed... but it i not conclusive, because no one said so as well, nor is it written anywere...

It pains me as well that such a advance society can not have a secondary shield on their pretty City Ship... but we just have to come to terms with that...

Comment

Working...
                    X