• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    We don't know yet.
    we will just have to wait and see
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
      oh geez, that's a dreary thought. (I do like carter, do like AT, but hello? she's had 10 years on SG1 and it's time to let SGA grow on its own and not become SG1 redux).
      I hear that. I like Atlantis way better than SG1 and if they start bringing over the older characters, it'll get worse. It's bad enough the way they write McKay in things like Pegasus Project and I'm just gonna cry if McKay permantly becomes that blundering idiot.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

O'Brian hadn't been a main cast member from TNG so that worked. Also he was there from the very first episode on. Movin Worf from the Enterprise to DS9 wasn't exactly the smartest move and I didn't like it very much but I didn't resent it, because he was just an addition. No other main cast member was killed off or changed into a recurring guest star. So yes SG-1 members on SGA could theoretically work but it doesn't for numerous reasons. I already mentioned the main difference between DS9 and SGA. Another problem is, that the almost all roles already have a fitting pendant on SGA and any old character from SG1 is an extra unnecessary wheel that will only hamper the developing relationships of the characters

SG-1
        (1) Hammond
        (2) O'Neil
        (3) Carter
        (4) Teal'c
        (5) Jackson

SGA Equivalent
        (1) Weir
        (2) Sheppard
        (3) McKay
        (4) Ronon
        (5) now there is an opening

I think the only character that would have been able to make a smooth transition between SGA and SG-1 is Daniel, because he LOVES Atlantis and there is no similar character to his own already on SGA. Carter on SGA is a dumb move to say the least. There is really no need for another Miss Smartypants. We already have Rodney, also she will disrupt the Sheppard/McKay dynamic and as already alienated a lot of fans because she will be in 14 episodes while Torri has been reduced to a guest starring role (and they way it looks she will be in a maximum of four episodes. This is only a guess but more and more people are fearing the same thing)

Conclusion:
        Yes an integration of SG-1 characters would have been possible in the pilot episodes (instead of a new original character) and only on a very limited level at a later stadium. The integration of Samantha Carter doesn't work at all for me.

Peace. Out.
        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
        And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
          SG-1
          (1) Hammond
          (2) O'Neil
          (3) Carter
          (4) Teal'c
          (5) Jackson

SGA Equivalent
          (1) Weir
          (2) Sheppard
          (3) McKay
          (4) Ronon
          That's O'Neill with 2 L's, there's another O'Neil with one L that doesn't have a sense of humor.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
          sigpic

Comment

I think the only character that would have been able to make a smooth transition between SGA and SG-1 is Daniel, because he LOVES Atlantis and there is no similar character to his own already on SGA.
            Hm. I would have to respectfully disagree. Though Teyla is not a direct Daniel counterpart, she plays the native guide, which is what Daniel did in many eps with his translation skills and knowledge of mythology. His part is actually split up between McKay (expert on Ancient stuff), Teyla (guide, negotiator, and conscience of the team), and Weir (linguist). So I think that overall, the team dynamics don't perfectly match.

(Besides, look at the power structure: Carter was 2IC to O'Neill, but Teyla is 2IC to Sheppard.)

That said, I would not mind Daniel as a guest in an ep or two. He was one of only two SG-1 members to not annoy me in TPP because he felt so strongly about the Ancients and about Earth's fight. I love how he believes people into being better than they are.

I mind Carter not only for McKay's quick slide down the maturity scale in her presence, but also because they will have to do some quick-stepping with the character to force her into the roles everyone is speculating she'll take. That seems silly if she'll just have to go back to being S10 Carter again for the movies. *shakes head*

They did something similar to Worf, now that I think about it. Neutered him, then shipped him back for ST:9 and had to use a plot device to get him acting like himself again. Which didn't actually work all that well.

Comment

I disagree with people who say if Teal'c came Ronon would have to go. I think they could work great together and personally, I would love to see them tag team a Wraith and spar together.

Teal'c replacing Teyla gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by the old briar pipe View Post
                Hm. I would have to respectfully disagree. Though Teyla is not a direct Daniel counterpart, she plays the native guide, which is what Daniel did in many eps with his translation skills and knowledge of mythology. His part is actually split up between McKay (expert on Ancient stuff), Teyla (guide, negotiator, and conscience of the team), and Weir (linguist). So I think that overall, the team dynamics don't perfectly match.

(Besides, look at the power structure: Carter was 2IC to O'Neill, but Teyla is 2IC to Sheppard.)

That said, I would not mind Daniel as a guest in an ep or two. He was one of only two SG-1 members to not annoy me in TPP because he felt so strongly about the Ancients and about Earth's fight. I love how he believes people into being better than they are.

I mind Carter not only for McKay's quick slide down the maturity scale in her presence, but also because they will have to do some quick-stepping with the character to force her into the roles everyone is speculating she'll take. That seems silly if she'll just have to go back to being S10 Carter again for the movies. *shakes head*

They did something similar to Worf, now that I think about it. Neutered him, then shipped him back for ST:9 and had to use a plot device to get him acting like himself again. Which didn't actually work all that well.
                Agree about Daniel not having an exact counterpart in SGA, but his roles being split among several characters, so it's not like there's a "hole" he can slip into if he comes over to Atlantis. In fact, I'd be concerned that having Daniel in Atlantis might marginalize Teyla even more than she already is. Which makes me think that one of the reasons we have seen Teyla not used as much as she should be is because there haven't been any significant interactions with the native populations of Pegasus in S2 and S3. Whenever there is interaction with native populations, Teyla tends to be in the middle of things (Trinity, Tower, Ark, Instinct...), but with the introduction of the replicators, and even Michael as a distinct villain from the rest of the Wraith, there just hasn't been as much interaction with the Pegasus native people as in S1. So that becomes another argument against having Daniel in Atlantis -- what would he do there, really? If he's just going to sit in Atlantis translating the database, it's not a very good use of his character.

About Teyla being John's 2IC, that's debatable, IMO. In S1, Ford was 2IC. In S2, the two times when John was incapacitated or absent (Aurora, Epiphany), Rodney basically took over. Granted, both situations required scientific solutions, and I'm sure things would have been different if the three of them had come under fire while they were without Shep, but at the least, I got the sense that there was no formal 2IC, and that in many ways, Rodney was the de facto 2IC, in the sense that even in a military situation, it seemed to me, from the way Teyla and Ronon acted in Aurora and Epiphany, that Rodney would decide what the overall objective was (do they take on the enemy and rescue Shep? or go back to Atlantis for reenforcement?) and Teyla and Ronon would figure out how to execute that objective.

And yes, how they will fit Carter into *both* Atlantis and the movies bugs me...
                Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Justin 90 View Post
                  I disagree with people who say if Teal'c came Ronon would have to go. I think they could work great together and personally, I would love to see them tag team a Wraith and spar together.

While I think ronon and teal'c would get along fine, it's a budgetary reason why people think if you keep dragging sg1 folk over, you'll lose sga folk. simple economics.

however, i'll take teyla over teal'c, only because we've had ten years of teal'c (and two movies shortly). i'd like to see teyla evolve (that is, if the writers will let her!)

Comment

While I think ronon and teal'c would get along fine, it's a budgetary reason why people think if you keep dragging sg1 folk over, you'll lose sga folk. simple economics.

however, i'll take teyla over teal'c, only because we've had ten years of teal'c (and two movies shortly). i'd like to see teyla evolve (that is, if the writers will let her!)
                    This assumes that an improvement in the show's quality cannot generate sufficient viewership (and with it ad buys) to warrant another character.

From what I've heard, many of the people involved in making the show are keen on Carter's arrival. Hopefully, this will inspire them to improve their writing, which will allow them the opportunity to feature more characters if necessary.

Consider, for instance, The West Wing. A normal television show could never have supported that many central characters, but Sorkin was so keen on writing for all of the characters that his scripts were of high enough quality to generate viewership (which again leads to the higher ad buys) and in turn he was able to support a large cast.

The economics of it are hardly simple.

Comment

oh geez, that's a dreary thought. (I do like carter, do like AT, but hello? she's had 10 years on SG1 and it's time to let SGA grow on its own and not become SG1 redux).
                      I mean no offense but saying that is basically saying that she's had a job for 10 years and it's a sin to be on another show. I do know why you have these concerns but that does bug me. I don't see SGA becoming a SG-1 redux. I personally don't mind this cast adition but I do hope it doesnt end up like you fear.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

You got a point there OLP, though I have to confess that Teyla's role reminded me often a bit of Sheena Queen of the Jungle, eeh She is the exotic, pretty alien who helps the foreigners through the jungle Pegasus Galaxy. For me Daniel is a bit more like Indiana Jones. Also he has become more cynical over the years, yet his passion for ancient technology as well as for Atlantis is still intact. I think he would be okay on SGA. He would be the one to explore Atlantis in a more playful fashion and stumble over things, that he would analyze.

You are right about Carter and McCay. He always starts to act like a nerd in 10th grade when she is around and that is downright annoying.
                        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                        And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                          So that becomes another argument against having Daniel in Atlantis -- what would he do there, really? If he's just going to sit in Atlantis translating the database, it's not a very good use of his character.
                          Yeah, I have trouble with this. I would hate to see him bury himself in a lab somewhere, but it's the only thing I can see at the moment. Unless there really was an SG-1 redux and he went out searching Ancient ruins for the secret map to zpms....

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                          About Teyla being John's 2IC, that's debatable, IMO.
                          Hm. I'm trying now to think of why I thought that. You're right, it's clearly Ford in S1, but in S3, it just felt like Teyla was the one everyone turned to when they wanted to say "Now what do we do?" (E.g., Sateda, Phantoms, Irresponsible, The Ark, Submersion, Vengeance) Or maybe that's just Rodney relying on her, well, reliability, and John constantly using her as an "Am I doing this right?" reference.

Also, DH was right - Rodney was still the "i" in team until Return. So I find it hard to picture him as the 2IC, esp. after CG and his little gateroom speech, followed by Ronon's eyeroll and "Just stay behind me."

That begs the question - does the team actually need a 2IC anymore?

You got a point there OLP, though I have to confess that Teyla's role reminded me often a bit of Sheena Queen of the Jungle, eeh
                          Oh gawd, yes. The Sacajawea comments are horribly apt.

Nonetheless, the role that she has kind of adopted (rather than the one originally written for her) has been "team conscience" as well as "guide", so I think in an interpersonal sense she is the Daniel. Not that things map perfectly. SGA characters are themselves, after all, and not copies of SG-1 shifted slightly to the left.

(P.S. I am a Teyla-thunker, so these comments are made in the spirit of love. Love, I tell you!)

For me Daniel is a bit more like Indiana Jones. Also he has become more cynical over the years, yet his passion for ancient technology as well as for Atlantis is still intact. I think he would be okay on SGA. He would be the one to explore Atlantis in a more playful fashion and stumble over things, that he would analyze.
                          I could see that, but my first instinct is to cry out "That's Radek and Rodney's job!" Their banter has taken the place of exploratory Jack/Daniel chatter, the cynic and the enthusiast batted back and forth between them. The opening scene of Tao still makes me laugh until my stomach hurts.

So, while I love Daniel very much, I would fear his coming almost as much as Carter's in terms of the safety of my beloved SGA characters. Though I would obviously look forward to it far more.
                          Last edited by the old briar pipe; 06 March 2007, 10:57 AM. Reason: totally wrong ep name, duh

Comment

Oh gawd, yes. The Sacajawea comments are horribly apt.

.......(P.S. I am a Teyla-thunker, so these comments are made in the spirit of love. Love, I tell you!)
                            :g: It is very obvious that you are a Teyla thunker, sweetie Sacajawea... :howls with laughter: that is indeed very apt. Maybe the PTBs really thought of her when they created Teyla.
                            And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              I mean no offense but saying that is basically saying that she's had a job for 10 years and it's a sin to be on another show. I do know why you have these concerns but that does bug me. I don't see SGA becoming a SG-1 redux. I personally don't mind this cast adition but I do hope it doesnt end up like you fear.
                              After seeing other shows do this, and watching 'guest spots' already done, I'm not optimist that importing SG1 characters to SGA is going to improve the show. It will draw some SG1 fans to the show (as evidenced by LJsa nd other lists where fans say they'll follow carter to the show, and that's what TPTB are counting on, but it doesnt mean they'll watch the earlier seasons in syndication or buy the DVDs, maybe just those with that specific character). It's the way fandom works.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin 90 View Post

I prefer Teyla. She is like the calm in a storm. She is very caring. SGA has a great cast. Why must it become the new grounds for the SG-1 team at the expense of the shows' own characters?
                                "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                                'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                                Individuality is freedom lived.
                                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                                X