Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chose other. While I like the character of Sam, I don't necessarily want her on SGA. However, since she is, I would prefer to see her brought in to help on a specific project or something. JM has classified it as a support role - and I hope that's correct. Whatever new dangers their current and future situations hold, she should be there to assist McKay or Sheppard - not take over for anyone. Since AT only has one year left on her contract and has 2 SG-1 movies to shoot, I wouldn't anticipate her having a larger role.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana
    My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      Typically, a recurring guest star is only in five or so episodes per season, and that's pushing it. Extras, with or without lines, are featured in a lot more episodes, because they're not payed as much (I'm guessing).
      is that the way the term is defined? or just a trend?
      She will be in 14 of 20 episodes. Her role in each episode will likely vary.
      so...we agree.
      Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      Ya know, I hadn't thought of creating a new possition for Carter. That's what they did for Worf on DS9. There's also Vala on SG-1... rather than replace a team member, SG-1 was increased to a five-man team. I guess it's possible Carter may have some kind of special job.
      exactly. RepliCarter for example. though personally i'm not sure TPTB can pull that twist off.
      Originally posted by Copernicus View Post
      Are we perhaps confusing cause and effect here? Was Ms. Higginson's role reduced because they wanted to bring in Ms. Tapping, or was Ms. Tapping brought in because Ms. Higginson wanted a reduced role?
      AT was brought in because TH was reduced; the why (on either side) is not really clear.
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
        JM has classified it as a support role - and I hope that's correct.
        I wouldn't put it past JM to classify the base commander as a "support role." In SG-1, the focus was always on the team, and Hammond/Landry/Jack in s8 all held a "support role" vis a vis the team.
        Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
        Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
        -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
          I wouldn't put it past JM to classify the base commander as a "support role." In SG-1, the focus was always on the team, and Hammond/Landry/Jack in s8 all held a "support role" vis a vis the team.

Now that is a true statement. But that's a lot of effort to go through to just have her nod to Sheppard for him to take his team somewhere. Then again.... But I guess I just see it more true to her character to have her assisting (like in McKay and Mrs. Miller).
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana
          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

I like the idea of Carter's presence in each episode varying, depending on where she's needed, but I'm thinking that she's probably going to be the expedition leader. So, just as with Weir, Hammond and Landry, she won't have to be in every episode, nor will she need to be front and center.

I'd like her to take Caldwell's place, which is also likely, given the fact that she goes over in her own ship... But maybe that's just so...

First Strike spoilers...
            Spoiler:
            They can bring Atlantis back to the planet in the premiere.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Good point. I'd like to see her able to use her scientist skills and I'm not sure how much chance she'd get to do that as a ship commander.
              Depends on what kind of ship it was - in a post-Season Ten story I'm writing with a friend, Sam has command of an exploration ship and plenty of opportunities to use her scientist skills as well as her leadership skills.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                So 33 people who voted just want her to come here to die? Hmm, how lovely.

She ain't going to be a red shirt, and she ain't going to die. Get used to it, or don't watch s4.

Oh and BTW I choose a combonation between 1 and 3.
                Thats how I feel. I want her either to acommand or be a scientist like Zelenka. Yeah the red shirt option is rediculous IMO. If people are that against it and can't find it within them to give it a chance then just don't watch. Simple.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Thats how I feel. I want her either to acommand or be a scientist like Zelenka. Yeah the red shirt option is rediculous IMO. If people are that against it and can't find it within them to give it a chance then just don't watch. Simple.
                  thanks for the false dichotomy. but even if that was how those 33 people saw it (which, by those who posted, is not entirely true), there are plenty of other things they may like. many also see it as the lesser of several evils.
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

A battleship's commander sounds like a good idea
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think it has to be one or the other, I went with the red shirt option because I don't like her character, I'll still watch it though, it would take more than one bland character to kill the entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        I don't think it has to be one or the other, I went with the red shirt option because I don't like her character, I'll still watch it though, it would take more than one bland character to kill the entertainment.
                        I, too, find Carter somewhat bland, though I only actively dislike her when she's kirking.

However, I didn't go with the redshirt option. Aside from not wanting to see that happen to yet another SG character and actor, I find redshirts incredibly annoying. Far more than Carter is likely to be to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Thats a good point. It just seems however that this is the final straw for some. I like her character so I'm hoping for either just the miitary commander, a ship commander or even base commander though I still want Weir around.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Thats a good point. It just seems however that this is the final straw for some. I like her character so I'm hoping for either just the miitary commander, a ship commander or even base commander though I still want Weir around.
                            Hm, that's a thought. Personally, I really really want Weir in charge of Atlantis, but if I have to choose between in charge for a few eps then gone or not in charge but still around, I'll take the latter, thank you. Lesser of two evils.

In that context, I probably would not hate Carter so long as she was respectful and Weir got a good chunk screentime and improved writing.

(I'd also like the moon, the Brooklyn Bridge, and chocolate that doesn't make me fat. Are you listening, ptbs? )

Comment

Originally posted by the old briar pipe View Post
                              Hm, that's a thought. Personally, I really really want Weir in charge of Atlantis, but if I have to choose between in charge for a few eps then gone or not in charge but still around, I'll take the latter, thank you. Lesser of two evils.

In that context, I probably would not hate Carter so long as she was respectful and Weir got a good chunk screentime and improved writing.

(I'd also like the moon, the Brooklyn Bridge, and chocolate that doesn't make me fat. Are you listening, ptbs? )
                              Agreed... I totally agree about that with Weir. My concern is substance over crumbs. We were given her S3, but I thought they didn't do her character justice except in CG (and that's because she did her job as a Negotiator---we know in America we don't make deals with terrorists who take American hostages). I think they can get a chance to really utilize her and figure what they want as writers to do with her and develop and engage the character on other aspects without sacrificing her presence.

As I said, have her still deal with difficult positions, but at least show that she's working on developing a reserve army with the friends they did make and not depend on earth to supply her with it. Show her organizing with the Genii after the situation with Ladon taking control---what the hell happened to that? Have her try to get allies they missed out on back---ie those from Suspicion (we never even saw those cats), or the peple from The Brotherhood. I hope we see those people from
                              Spoiler:
                              The Ark used in S3.
                              I mean there is a lot that can be done, which unfortunately isn't done.

And you can't have the Brooklyn Bridge, only true Brooklyn'ers deserve it (Only those born in Brooklyn.)! You ever watch George Carlin---and when he went on and on about how much of a Manhattan person, he is? Sorry, it was funny when I heard you mention the Brooklyn Bridge---My sis did the same skit about Brooklyn, she had mentioned the Brooklyn Bridge belonging to her "people". You have to hear the whole skit in detail to get the joke. If you're not born in Brooklyn, it's not yours, never will be ---Brooklyn is just willing to share. ~sigh~ My mind is always running on with things.

By the way, what would you do with the moon if you had it?!
                              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
                                No the last option is
                                I don't want her on Atlantis except if she's a red shirt.
                                The not so new and unique role would have been if AT replayed Replicarter again...
                                well, red shirt does mean die.... i would have chosen an option of 'don't want on atlantis.' that's it.

Comment

Working...
                                X