Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Asurans really Replicators? (spoiler)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, you can't really say the asurans are a rip off of the MW replicators, since they act completely different and have a completely different appearance( as far as dress, and technology). And, although I'm ok with the Asurans as an enemy, I would rather they had been an actual group of rogue Ancients. It would have spiced things up a bit.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
      I would rather they had been an actual group of rogue Ancients.
      That would of been cool
      sigpic

Comment

The Asurans can be compared to the human-form Replicators only. The original Replicators (you know, the bugs) were quite unique in their goal of assimilating raw materials/advanced technology to further increase their numbers and find new resources to consume.

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't call the Asurans Replicators anymore than I would call the Ori Ancients.

Yes, physically they resemble the Replicators, just like the Ori are (or were) physically like the Ancients, but they are different cultures, vastly different in the case of the Asurans and Replicators.

Replicators were called like that not just because they replicate to survive, but because it's ALL they do. They didn't do anything else.

Asurans do replicate, but it's not their main function, and they rarely even do it, probably only to replace their losses.

Comment

Okay, I think you guys are getting two things cnofused.

There's the scientific classification of what things are, and then there's the nickname that we commonly refer to them.

For instance... I'm scientifically human, but you'd call me American. Abydonians are scientifically Human, but we call them Abydonians. If someone asked what race they were, we'd call them human.

Let's try another one.
            A supporter of the KKK is human, but raised in an intolerant society. I am human as well, but I was raised more tolerant than the KKK guy. We're both Scientifically human, though what people might call us are different. We were raised differently.

Replicators are the race. We happen to call replicators just that in the Milky Way, and in Pegasus, they are Asurans. They're still scientifically replicators, and replicator weapons will effectively end them. Replicators were raised differently than Asurans, so they'll behave differently. Asurans were raised to replicate as needed, whereas the replicators were told to build more (possibly due to Reese -- the first time she was activated).

Comment

Is there any chance that the Asurans built the same ships what we have seen in 6x12 "Unnatural selection", when they scanned the Prometheus? Or was it only a captured ship? I hope there will be a connection between MW and Pegasus replicators (=Asurans) and this can be the first step. The second should be that they probe Carter to get information about the Asgard and RepliCarter.
              Last edited by Platschu; 23 February 2007, 02:44 PM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                Is there any chance that the Asurans built the same ships what we have seen in 6x12 "Unnatural selection", when they scanned the Prometheus? Or was it only a captured ship? I hope there will be a connection between MW and Pegasus replicators (=Asurans) and this can be the first step. The second should be that they probe Carter to get information about the Asgard and RepliCarter.
                Nope.
                Spoiler:
                The ships the Asurans built were ancient warships
                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                  well, they do replicate. Just in extreme cases ( such as a group of replicators being destroyed). If they don't need to then they probably don't replicate. they should be called the Asurans.
                  I hate that they call them the Replicaters. They're not the same. Sure they do the same thing, but in saying that, we could call the Wraith humans. They do the same thing as us, just in different ways. Call them Asurans!
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I like to think that the Asurans are replicators in the same sense that humans are mammals. The Asurans relate to the Milky Way replicators kinda like humans relate to chimpansees. The replication refers to their way of procreation. The comparison is flawed, but it's the best i can come up with.
                    sigpic

Comment

This is one of them arguments that'll continue til the end of time. IMO, a stupid one!

Here's one for you then, are Americans really there own race? since the revolted from their "fore-fathers" the English, of whom are Italian, German, French, Danish....................... BORING!!!

If it says so in the story.......
                      http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Personally, I'd like to see some "Asurans meet the Replicators" storyline in the future. It would definitely open some interesting possibilities. It would also further distinct both of them. IMO, they would be either great allies or terrible enemies...
                        sigpic

Comment

They are just as lame and overused, so yes.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                            Personally, I'd like to see some "Asurans meet the Replicators" storyline in the future. It would definitely open some interesting possibilities. It would also further distinct both of them. IMO, they would be either great allies or terrible enemies...
                            Well, did they destroy all the normal Replicaters in Reckoning?
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

In the Milky Way, maybe. But, you know, the universe is quite large, and the Replicators did assimilate Asgard intergalactic hyperdrive tech. So...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                                I hate that they call them the Replicaters. They're not the same. Sure they do the same thing, but in saying that, we could call the Wraith humans. They do the same thing as us, just in different ways. Call them Asurans!
                                They're called human-form replicators. THe characters say it on the show, so do hte producers. If it talks like a replicator, replicates like a replicator, chances are pretty very strong it is a replicator. They're replicators, and wel,l they're an overdone villain. I'd like to see the Wraith - a galaxy-wide scourge - be given more development. "Common Ground" opened up some interesting tidbits which I hope to heck the producers have the memory to follow up on.

Comment

Working...
                                X