Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Vala over to Stargate Atlantis Thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ShadowMaat;6337728]My opinion?

* The writers can't handle the characters they already have, so why add more

That just about says it in a nut shell. The writers. They had the chance to really do something good with the original cast and the wraith and they blew it. They brought back worn out enemies from SG1 that for the most part always reminded me of hokey 50s Flash Gordon villains, robes, silly head dress's...so boring, when they had the Wraith to play around with. And have dropped popular cast members Franks and now Beckett to add Tapping and the gal from Firefly for no good reason that I can see. Since the writing and villains suck I think maybe comic relief might help pull it out of the slow and boring dumps. I say let them bring Vala instead of Tapping, she's a lot more interesting, and a lot more fun. Turn her lose on the Wraith and Ronon. Toon

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Useless in terms of serving any purpose in Atlantis.

Exactly. Because the writers MADE it that way. Enough is (or could be) learned in Atlantis to serve a useful purpose to Earth and the war against the Ori, but the writers have made damn sure that Atlantis gets all the weaknesses and thus needs the extra "help" from Earth. But that's digressing. My point is that Vala cannot, in my opinion, serve any useful purpose in Atlantis and her presence there would (again, in my opinion) do nothing but further erode what little credibility Atlantis has left.
      Oh in that case I agree she wouldnt be usefull in Atlantis. As to your other point yes there could be something learned to help us but they are trying to keep the shows seperate and only crossing over when necesary, and I just don't see an Atlantis story fitting into an Sg-1 story.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Vala would have a field-day in Atlantis. The way she reacted in The Pegasus Project. She'd probably wander off into the as of yet unexplored area's of the city and get herself killed in the process.

But no thanks. Vala can stay right where she is, and for the moment I still love her there.
        LOL! I don't think she'd get herself killed but she'd definitely "liberate" all the treasures Atlantis may have and would proably sell the station to a dozen rich prospects in the process.

As much as I like her character, it wouldn't make much sense to have Vala on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
          they are trying to keep the shows seperate
          And you can actually say that with a straight face? Crikey, half the season is going to be consumed by a massive crossover; that seems neither "separate" nor "only when necessary" to me. And again, if they want to keep the shows separate they should stop dumping SG-1 on Atlantis. That isn't necessary, either, but the writers force it on us. It's "necessary" for SG-1 to be shoved down the throats of Atlantis but it'd be silly for Atlantis to show up on SG-1 because the writers have seen to it that Atlantis is co-dependent while SG-1 is so uberly awesome they don't even need to think about those pesky people in a galaxy far far away.

You, however, obviously see things differently and believe in whatever it is TPTB are doing. I don't. End of story.

Comment

I think the problem is that the writers aren't interested in the Atlantis characters or what they have to offer. If they were, they wouldn't keep trying to make the show closer and closer to what SG-1 is/was... and they wouldn't continuously use Atlantis to showcase SG-1. And I think this goes beyond the whole "It's a spinoff so of course it's going to have some crossovers." First because we are past the point of "some" and- with the advent of the coming season- heading into "constant" and second because all of these wonderful crossovers meant to show that both programs operate in the same universe have been decidedly one-sided.

Compare the number of times that SG-1 plots/characters have shown up on Atlantis with the number of times that Atlantis plots/character have shown up on SG-1 and you'll see what I mean. If TPTB were truly interested in knitting the shows together there would have been a more even spread. I think the fact that most of it has been in one direction implies that the writers aren't confident in Atlantis and think they need to add in SG-1 in order to entice people to watch. Possibly it was also an effort to try and lure newbies into watching their sinking flagship show, SG-1, but quite obviously that failed, as well.

Vala is probably one of the most useless characters that could be crossed over from SG-1, but if the writers ever get that pathetically desperate, it'll only underscore what I already believe: they have no idea what they're doing with Atlantis and they're more interested in salvaging SG-1- at any cost.
            Well I agree in a sense. I think they're picking SG-1's bones to try and support their Atlantis spin-off a couple of more seasons until they're ready for the next spin-off. But I'm not sure if it's the Bridge folks who came up with it or whether the Scifi/MGM folks pushed them in that direction.

Bringing Carter over seems as much a business decision as a creative one. Atlantis was designed as a show to function separately from SG-1. The characters they need are already there - they've just never seemed to know what they wanted to do with some of them. That's a creative problem that they may feel bringing in Carter will help. Joe seems to like the Carter character - never had the strong impression he liked Weir that much.

But the business part of it seems ratings driven. It was apparently touch and go as to whether Atlantis would be renewed for S4 - it's possible the promise of adding one of the SG-1 cast members might have been a key in getting it renewed.

I strongly feel that Vala won't be coming over to Atlantis. Carter they can wedge in there but I don't see Vala fitting in at all other than if they do a massive one-episode crossover where the whole SG-1 gang shows up.

But as a candidate to join Atlantis in any regular capacity?? Don't see it.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

* Every single tie she has is to SG-1, NOT Atlantis. Just because Sam is gonna be on Atlantis is NOT an excuse to drag Vala over.
              SGA could turn into the Sam/Vala slash show, tho...

(sorry, had to. Continue serious discussion here.)
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I love Vala, however, I love her on SG-1, only. There is no reason for her to go to Atlantis. If she turns up on SGA then it would reinforce my belief that TPTB considers SGA as merely a waystation between its real interests, SG-1 and the third Stargate series.
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  SGA could turn into the Sam/Vala slash show, tho...
                  Dear gods, please don't give the writers any ideas! We've suffered enough of their sick fantasies as it is!

edit: and because I just know someone is going to try and take offence, no, I have nothing against slash, but I do have issues with slashy pairings when one or more of the people involved is not gay/bi, as I believe would be the case with Sam/Vala. Any attempts to pair them on the show anyway would probably have some "alien influence" type excuse and would almost certainly be due to the perverted nature of the writers rather than an honest storyline with a valid point to make.
                  Last edited by ShadowMaat; 18 February 2007, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Vala has nothing to do with SGA. Main idea in 99% of posts and when it comes to back this up people do not talk about her contributions to the show they talk about SG1. Most of these posts come from people who are still in denial. SGA will NEVER be an independent show. People seem to have missed one aspect in Sunday because of Carson's death. Anyone remember what Carson wanted to do that day? He wanted to go FISHING. Sounds familiar. O'Neill always does that. To put the cherry on top, the episode continues to illustrate SG1. Everyone avoids Carson because they hate fishing. Turning now to SG1, everyone avoids O'Neill when he invites them to go fishing. Teal'c tried it once because "he is the alien" but afterwards confessed he hated it and, yes we do have some scenes where they are all at the lake, but that does not change the fact that they hate it. The Sunday issue had no link to "Earth and the supplies coming from there". Another aspect people seem to be falling for. SGA is linked to SG1 with more things and not only with their calls to the "SGC". Severing the link to Earth will not change the fact that the PLOT is related to SG1. Every episode has ANCIENT technology involved, naquada generators, etc. All these are aspects from SG1.

Amanda Tapping gave an interview and she said she was astonished to hear about the new character. She was very adamant, she was againts Vala from the start like 99% of people here, but it turned out better than she thought.

At the end of the day SGA is about profit. It yields what you want you keep on doing it. It does not give the same thing anymore you find solutions, when your solutions fail you pull the plug. Let us not fool ourselves, sexy and sex will always sell. Therefore, the writers will find a way to introduce Vala to the show, if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                      [B]

At the end of the day SGA is about profit. It yields what you want you keep on doing it. It does not give the same thing anymore you find solutions, when your solutions fail you pull the plug. Let us not fool ourselves, sexy and sex will always sell. Therefore, the writers will find a way to introduce Vala to the show, if it comes to that.
                      Your right there. Plus there are a young audience that watches these shows so putting that in to context is like a moth to a burning flame.
                      sigpic

Comment

No Friggin Vala!!! There!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                          Precisely. The sooner Atlantis is cut off from Earth again (with Weir still on Atlantis!!!), the better.
                          Yeah
                          sigpic

Comment

I enjoy watching Vala about twice to three times as much as any of the current Atlantis characters so I guess I'm for this. Sure it probably won't make the most logical sense in terms of the story, but they hardly seem to worry much about that so why should I.

Honestly I'd much rather see her there than Carter. All Carter's going to do is indirectly result in McKay hogging up even more screentime than he already does.

If anyone from SG1 is going to cross over though it really should be Daniel. He's the only one that really seems to belong there given his expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                              Amanda Tapping gave an interview and she said she was astonished to hear about the new character. She was very adamant, she was againts Vala from the start like 99% of people here, but it turned out better than she thought.
                              Hey Integrabyte? I was just lurking, checking out people's opinions on this idea, and I came across this portion of your post. Do you think you could please provide a link to this interview? I don't remember seeing it anywhere, but I could've missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                                Hey Integrabyte? I was just lurking, checking out people's opinions on this idea, and I came across this portion of your post. Do you think you could please provide a link to this interview? I don't remember seeing it anywhere, but I could've missed it.

You are not the first one to ask me this. As I pm-ed someone this was on Sky One. They gave this SG1 marathon and Tapping, Judge, Shanks, and RDA spoke about the show and changes. As I pointed out in my PM, Tapping also said she was astonished to find out she was not going to have command of SG1. Later on she realised things are not that bad. Let us be honest, SG1 does not really have a leader like in the good old days.

Your right there. Plus there are a young audience that watches these shows so putting that in to context is like a moth to a burning flame.

95 % of episodes with Vala have references to SEX. You are right, these things might not be appropriate for the younger audience. Apart from that, every episode with Vala has this lovely torture idea. Unfortunately, the producers gave VALA a Sam Carter identity. Both Vala and Daniel show this spark yet nothing happens( Vala falls for Tomin, etc). Sam and Jack had this spark for years but ended up going out with other people. Vala in a way is the brunette SAM CARTER.

With some adjustment and with Daniel on board Vala, if need be, would give SGA the missing pieces. As much as I "love" McKay to always argue that he is the man, i think that "chestnut is getting a little...old" .
                                Last edited by Integrabyte; 23 February 2007, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X