Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRO Carter on SGA season 4 & 5 spoilers (positive discussion only)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
    Apologies if someone has already suggested this but I have a possible theory as to why Carter may go to Atlantis...

*Minor spoilers for SGA S4 and Stargate SG-1: The Ark Of Truth*
    Spoiler:

If S4 is set AFTER the first SG-1 movie, she could return as commander of the Odyssey. Sounds far fetched but here is my thinking:

1. We know that SG-1 use the Odyssey in the movie so it will still be around up to that point.
    2. Sam arrives in a ship referred to as 'her ship' so either she gets an alien ship by end of season or she is given command of one of ours at some point after S10.
    3. With the Ori threat neutralized Pegasus will be Earth's priority so it makes sense for 2 304s to be stationed there.
    4. Mitch Pileggi is unavailable for an unknown amount of next season due to his new show. The Apollo was brought in as a direct substitute for Daedalus while MP was unavailable.
    5. Having her as commander of the Odyssey makes it easy to explain her absence from the 6 episodes of S4 she is not in.
    6. Having her as a ship commander firstly and a scientist secondly will prevent TPTB having to write in enough lines for 3 scientists (McKay, Carter, Zelenka) and prevent the phasing out of McKay and Zelenka that alot of SGA fans (including me) are worried will happen.

That's my theory anyway. Has anyone else got any suggestions to support/destroy this theory?
    I posted this elsewhere but it applies:

Here's my pet theory.
    Spoiler:
    Something big happens...massive to the point of nerve wracking...and the IOA realizes that Atlantis needs to be under military control. But who should be in command? And from which country?

I think they'll begrudgingly decide on Carter because of her experience and her ability to manage both military and civilian contractors among many other things. But I imagine there will be some concessions involved too...like perhaps a multinational military force or something like that...so that it's not all U.S. military there. So she'd be ordered to go...and she'd not be entirely thrilled with the notion but will answer the call of duty because that's what she does.

I think also she'll be promoted to full Colonel. That's JMHO of course but it would make sense if I'm right about the rest.

Of course I'm intrigued by the whole "she comes in on her own ship" thing. What does that mean? I doubt they'd have her there just to command a ship...that seems like a misuse of her skills.

If she's not there to be in command, then why? The only "opening" that appears to be made available in the coming months is that of leading the city.
    But hey, I could be way wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. LOL

Also I'm not going to reject your idea out and out...because I simply don't know. I'm open to all ideas but I sincerely think mine is more probable given the
    Spoiler:
    changes in Weir's status on the show to be a recurring character "for a while"...which I take to mean "recurring until she's phased off the show.
    But like I said, I could be way off.

Anyone feel free to tear what I said apart too and offer your ideas/suggestions.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      Odd that. Considering...decisions... in SG-1 S9...
      I suppose it's possible to wank that away by saying SG-1 is such a small unit, so swapping command between Sam and Cam, only two other people under their command to feel awkward with, and it's not like either Daniel and Teal'c ever looked up much to Sam or Cam anyway...

While they never specify exactly how many military personnel there are on Atlantis, it's an entire base, so swapping in another commander there while leaving the former commander there would be kind of like if they put Landry in command of the SGC, but Jack or Hammond was hanging around as the next in command. There's a crisis! Jack and Landry disagree on how to handle it! Now, whose orders would everyone follow???

To get back on topic, anyone seen / heard about Road Not Taken? Does that affect how you feel about Sam coming over to Atlantis?
      Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
      Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
      -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
        I suppose it's possible to wank that away by saying SG-1 is such a small unit, so swapping command between Sam and Cam, only two other people under their command to feel awkward with, and it's not like either Daniel and Teal'c ever looked up much to Sam or Cam anyway...

While they never specify exactly how many military personnel there are on Atlantis, it's an entire base, so swapping in another commander there while leaving the former commander there would be kind of like if they put Landry in command of the SGC, but Jack or Hammond was hanging around as the next in command. There's a crisis! Jack and Landry disagree on how to handle it! Now, whose orders would everyone follow???

To get back on topic, anyone seen / heard about Road Not Taken? Does that affect how you feel about Sam coming over to Atlantis?
        I've seen it. And frankly it strengthens my feeling that Carter is a fantastically passionate/funny/strong, multifaceted character with a lot to offer in the Pegasus galaxy.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
          I've seen it. And frankly it strengthens my feeling that Carter is a fantastically passionate/funny/strong, multifaceted character with a lot to offer in the Pegasus galaxy.
          Absolutely! I just hope that she gets a chance to show it, and that TPTB are able to ensure balance between the characters.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            One thing I would be curious about is whether there would be any change to the chain of command if Sam was in charge instead of Weir. Didn't McKay argue at one point that, if Weir and Sheppard were incapacitated, he should take command as the highest ranking civilian?

If Sam, a military officer, is in command, would the chain of command automatically go from Sam to Sheppard to the next ranking member of the military and so on, excluding civilians?
            The chain of command is a tricky thing on Atlantis and I don't fully understand it. Weir is in charge because the higher-ups wanted a civilian in charge, but in season one we saw that Shep can usurp her command in times of military crisis, ala Hot Zone (and IIRC in Irresistible as well?). And when both Weir and Shep were incapacitated in Long Goodbye I remember a conflict for command between Rodney (the next civilian in charge) and Caldwell (the next military in charge because the Deddy was there?). I think Caldwell might have won in that ep, but again that was a military crisis.

So civilian order appears to be: Weir, McKay, Carson?, Zelenka?
            And military order appears to be: Shep, Caldwell (when he's around), Lorne?

But I don't know about overlap, like is Shep truly second in command or is McKay in charge if Weir were to leave and Atlantis remains a civilian operation? I think that last part is key - it's all in what the higher-ups want Atlantis to be. Remain civilian = McKay or a substitute brought in by the higher-ups, turn military = highest ranking military officer (putting Caldwell or Carter over Shep as Shep has only remained in charge by the request of Weir).

Comment

Hey all...Amanda has commented about her stint on Atlantis:
              I am also joining the cast of Atlantis next year for 14 episodes!! I am delighted. I have been quoted as saying that "I am contractually obligated to the franchise for another year." This sounds incredibly cold. It's strange sometimes to see your words in print. I want to be on the record as saying that I am very excited about the move to Atlantis. I think it's a wonderful opportunity for the character of Carter and for me personally. I am also aware that some people are not thrilled with the idea. I can only say that I think it will be a nice fit. I know Atlantis is not my show and I intend to tread lightly on their boards. I have a huge amount of respect for the cast and crew and hope that I will add to the show and not take away from anyone. I have talked at great length with Joe and Paul. When they first pitched the idea to me, I was a little nervous. After talking to them I am convinced that this is a good move. They are very excited about show running Atlantis and I am sure their enthusiasm will be felt on screen. I will also be in the two SG-1 TV movies which are shooting in April and June. I am looking at a very busy and fulfilling year. Surprisingly, I will have a bit more time off this year to spend with my family as I am only scheduled for four days per episode on Atlantis. This is perfect for me. Olivia is an absolute wonder and Alan and I are enjoying this time immensely.
              I still think this points to what I was suggesting...else why would she be nervous about it?

Comment

The cases are slightly different. Caldwell was to replace Sheppard as military leader of Atlantis. I don't see Sheppard having a problem with Sam taking command of the Atlantis expedition as a whole - though, depending on the circumstances of Weir's departure, he may resent that she is not staying in command - because I don't see him wanting that role. If he was to be in command of Atlantis, he wouldn't be able to go on missions with his team anymore.

One thing I would be curious about is whether there would be any change to the chain of command if Sam was in charge instead of Weir. Didn't McKay argue at one point that, if Weir and Sheppard were incapacitated, he should take command as the highest ranking civilian?

If Sam, a military officer, is in command, would the chain of command automatically go from Sam to Sheppard to the next ranking member of the military and so on, excluding civilians?
                Technically, as military commander Shep shouldn't be off leading his own team anyway. Actually I haven't watched that ep with the McKay / Caldwell non showdown in ages so I'll have to go back and watch it but it always struck me as slightly off how Rodney phrased that conversation. I'd expect different phrasing if Rodney was the actual designated second civilian in command, they way I remember it, it sounded like Rodney big noting himself rather than it being his rightful place. So I guess I'll have to go back and rewatch that bit.

Actually the one reason I have trouble believing Rodney is civilian second in charge is that everyone knows that the man has no social skills and it is likely everyone would be up in arms with the mans attitude within a very short space of time. Not something you'd want on a joint military / scientific expedition in a galaxy far, far away.

If they made it a military expedition (which I think they'd have to if they put Sam in charge) then yes the civilians would be cut out of it however I still haven't seen or heard anything yet that would imply that they are going to militarise the expedition. It could happen like back at the end of S1. I suppose it depends on what they have slated for Dr Weir as a recurring character. Is she recurring like Carson in S1 or is she recurring like Ford??
                -

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post

Yep, just watched it

No, it hasn't change my attitude because for me the same issues exist. I can definitely see lots of potential in the character coming over but I can still see a lot of pitfalls, all of which have to do with TPTB.

If the next 7 eps of SG-1 are as solid as the last 2 then I think my estimation of TPTB will go up and reduce my trepidation over the handling of the Atlantis changes however that's a reduction only it won't chase them away completely. Quite frankly you have newbies in as showrunners and one of them at the moment is behaving in a fashion that one could say his actions are very immature and not befitting a showrunner. However never having been showrunners before it's impossible to say with confidence how the newbies will perform, I'm hoping that they do a great job. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think the concept of Sam going to Atlantis is great but we'll just have to wait and see how the Boys at Bridge choose to implement not only the addition of Sam but all the other cast changes and "soft reset" of the story.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                    The chain of command is a tricky thing on Atlantis and I don't fully understand it. Weir is in charge because the higher-ups wanted a civilian in charge, but in season one we saw that Shep can usurp her command in times of military crisis, ala Hot Zone (and IIRC in Irresistible as well?). And when both Weir and Shep were incapacitated in Long Goodbye I remember a conflict for command between Rodney (the next civilian in charge) and Caldwell (the next military in charge because the Deddy was there?). I think Caldwell might have won in that ep, but again that was a military crisis.

So civilian order appears to be: Weir, McKay, Carson?, Zelenka?
                    And military order appears to be: Shep, Caldwell (when he's around), Lorne?

But I don't know about overlap, like is Shep truly second in command or is McKay in charge if Weir were to leave and Atlantis remains a civilian operation? I think that last part is key - it's all in what the higher-ups want Atlantis to be. Remain civilian = McKay or a substitute brought in by the higher-ups, turn military = highest ranking military officer (putting Caldwell or Carter over Shep as Shep has only remained in charge by the request of Weir).

Actually military order should be Shep and then his second in command. Caldwell is assigned command on the Daedalus. Unless Caldwell is assigned command to the expedition then he should never figure in the chain of command, this is also something that I had a problem with way back with the Caldwell / Rodney non showdown.
                    -

Comment

Hey all...Amanda has commented about her stint on Atlantis:I still think this points to what I was suggesting...else why would she be nervous about it?
                      Because she is a very smart lady and knows what making changes to a cast can do to fandom??

Actually it is possible that what you are proposing is on the cards. As a Liz fan I'm not happy but as a Sam fan I am.

Argghhhhhh I wanna know what they have planned now !!!!!! (is not good at waiting).
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                        I can understand it. Some fans are losing their favorite character completely. Another set of fans are seeing that their character is going from a regular to a recurring character. I think most SGA fans are not blaming AT for this, but they don't like these changes. If Sam were reduced to recurring status on SG-1, I would have been livid, and many other fans would also feel this way.

Regardless of the changes, for me I think adding Sam to SGA has so much potential. If TPTB give her a good reason to be in Atlantis, it could work out really well---she has to fit the storyline. For me, they didn't do this well for Mitchell. For a lot of fans, the way Mitchell has been written has not made a lot of sense, particularly in season 9. (It seems to be getting better now). If they do the same with Sam, it will be a disaster.

I don't think this will happen though. I think this because TPTB have wanted Sam to go to Atlantis for a long time (since the end of season 8). So I think they have some reason for her to be there in the storylines. I could be wrong, but it is exciting to see what it could be.
                        chocdoc, you said this very well. I feel the exact same way about the situation, and I hope people continue to direct any of their issues to TPTB.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                          Because she is a very smart lady and knows what making changes to a cast can do to fandom??

Actually it is possible that what you are proposing is on the cards. As a Liz fan I'm not happy but as a Sam fan I am.

Argghhhhhh I wanna know what they have planned now !!!!!! (is not good at waiting).
                          True...she is savvy that way...but my sense is that she knows she'll be stepping on some pretty big toes with the storyline they have in mind regardless of how cool it might be and wants people to know she understands their trepidation and is looking forward to her adventures in Atlantis.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Wasn't Langara taken over by the Ori? Wonder if Kiana's still around.
                            even if she is around, netu will freeze before we see her or acknowledge 'he who must not be acknowledged'...no not jack but Jonas.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

More information about Sam going to Atlantis per Joe's "hot off the presses" blog entry:
                              Spoiler:
                              Stillhere writes: “In an update to her website, www.amandatapping.com, Amanda Tapping has revealed that it was you and Paul who came up with the idea of Sam Carter going to Alantis and approached her about it. Would you mind elaborating on how this concept came to be something you wanted to pursue as showrunners? Maybe a bit of insight into envisioning Carter in the Atlantis series?

Answer: To be fair, having Carter cross over to Atlantis was something we’ve wanted to do for a while but, for various reasons, were never able to achieve. It was an idea that had been floating around for a while because the character would make a great addition to Atlantis. She has a pre-established relationship (not to mention chemistry) with her old buddy McKay, a military background that will allow her to support Sheppard and the team if the need ever arises, a science background that will allow her to add her expertise to what has hitherto been a strictly McKay/Zelenka domain, and knowledge of, not to mention personal experiencing dealing with, both the replicators and the Ancients.
                              Okay. As excited as I was before, I'm even more excited now.

Comment

More information about Sam going to Atlantis per Joe's "hot off the presses" blog entry:Okay. As excited as I was before, I'm even more excited now.
                                I actually really am more excited after seeing that and still not woried. It really proves they do have some things in mind for Sam.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X