This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
    Brad Wright never said this. This last paragraph at that site is from a fan's perspective---someone running this campaign. At this time, it has not been confirmed. Also, this is the same site that posted the rumor about MS leading the third series (along with another site).
    Indeed. Until I have a confirmed source on this one I am sticking my head firmly in the sand!
    sigpic

Comment

I copied my post here too:

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Amanda Tapping will be in 14 Atlantis episodes? Great. But she don't need to be Samantha Carter. I would like to see RepliCarter again at least in 5-6 episode. If the Asurans can capture him than they can easily find everything about Halla, Fifth, MW replicators etc. So I want to see the evil RepliCarter again as their queen. I hope she will begin an attack against the Asgard, the friends of the Ancients. S everbody can be happy, because AT won't be always in Atlantis and she will get less screen time. What do you think about this?
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        I think the main part of this thread is that AT and the producers were going ' oh, a few, oh a couple, i really don't know' and now have 14 as a solid number. Hopfully TPTB will read the forums and rethink that and halve it. How about giving Zelenka that time?
        Yes! Give us more Zelenka.

They probably won't reduce her role at this point, however, since by optioning her they probably have to pay a certain amount anyway. I don't know what that amount is - it's probably not her regular salary, but who knows? 14 eps may be their way of making it monetarily worth picking up her contract.

At this point I am fervently hoping for a season 5 in which we get Weir back and Carter disappears to create the new series and/or the movies. I think she'd be a great choice for "continuity" in a new creation, just not in a show that already stands on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
          Your logic on buying the DVDs doesn't follow, since AT's already signed on for the movies and also, it's in a last ditch effort to keep SG-1 going that the manipulators that be are even shoving Carter upon us in the first place.
          If the SG-1 DVDs are a big success (financially more than critically), there will be more DVDs to follow. Carter will likely be a big part of that and you would got to think that that would limit the time AT has to be on Atlantis.
          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
            b) SGA is an ensemble show in a way SG-1 never was. It's not just about the away team, it's about Elizabeth and Carson and the rest of the science team (represented by Zelenka) and the military (represented by Lorne and Caldwell) and the relationships these people have with each other. Every character is important in Atlantis; that's what makes it the show I've grown to love. Adding a character (a character we've already shown brings out the worst in McKay), even if you are giving her the same amount of screen time Weir gets in her most limited eps, and reducing Weir's role, as Brad has said that they're doing, will most definitely change the feel of the show, and not in a good way.
            Ok, I will agree that the Atlantis ensemble is different from that of SG-1, at least orignally. SG-1 started out being just about the away team but has grown, rather naturally, into encompassing the base, with Dr. Frasier, Dr. Lee, Sergeant Silar, etc. getting more face time to represent the face (in addition to General Hammond, which I'm taking for granted). The ensemble is stronger in Atlantis probably because they were cutoff in season 1, so you have the same people in the background...I guess this is why some people would like to see Atlantis being cutoff again...

Comment

I am quite happy with the changes.

SG-1 going to DVD was the smartest move they could make in allowing the franchise to grow. By 'grow' I mean remain financially viable so that 'we' keep getting a semi-regular fix.

The SG-1 season finale sounds very cool. Putting SG-1 to rest as series television is an excellent move.

The loss of Becket and what's her name is not a bad change - but one for the better. neither of the characters IMO contributed to the growth of the story as much as the three leads - and by that comment I mean Sheppard, Zelenka and Rodney. To a certain extent I like Ronin and Teyla, but Season three was such a rodney-fest, that most of the other characters were lost in the mix. I enjoyed anything with Lorne or Zelenka far more than Becket and what's her name. Why? The characters were too shallow, probably written that way - and not a slight against the actors involved.

SG-A sounds like it will become more dynamic, more energetic - and hopefully - better stories.

Just my opinion.

Tech Junkie

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

Originally posted by techjunkie View Post
                The loss of Becket and what's her name is not a bad change - but one for the better. neither of the characters IMO contributed to the growth of the story as much as the three leads - and by that comment I mean Sheppard, Zelenka and Rodney. To a certain extent I like Ronin and Teyla, but Season three was such a rodney-fest, that most of the other characters were lost in the mix. I enjoyed anything with Lorne or Zelenka far more than Becket and what's her name. Why? The characters were too shallow, probably written that way - and not a slight against the actors involved.
                Um, I dearly love Zelenka, but he's not a lead. He's a recurring who's lucky to end up in half the eps of a season - really, really lucky. I like that you like the boy banter (as do I!), but Weir and Beckett both have had far more screentime and more developed characters than Zelenka has. So I don't think at this point we should be re-writing the past three seasons to call them minor characters or what have you.

SG-A sounds like it will become more dynamic, more energetic - and hopefully - better stories.
                Sadly, I doubt that. I found many of the stories in season 3 to be quite good and dynamic, since the characters mesh so well now. Also, sweeping the board clean does not make the writers automatically better. Ask the Farscape fans.

I think "story" is about characters, and in order to appeal to a wide audience, you need many types of characters. Removing the two with the most "human" viewpoints will certainly work for those who are only interested in boys with toys, but it will not work for many, many others. It is for those others that I grieve, because SGA as a series is probably over for them.

Comment

Well as long as they dont bring over cam to Atlantis cause that would stop me from watching the show, i dont like the character at all never have never will.

Comment

I am quite happy with the changes.

SG-1 going to DVD was the smartest move they could make in allowing the franchise to grow. By 'grow' I mean remain financially viable so that 'we' keep getting a semi-regular fix.

The SG-1 season finale sounds very cool. Putting SG-1 to rest as series television is an excellent move.

Just my opinion.

Tech Junkie
                    Um forgive me for asking but do you even watch the show? You don't know the name of one of the core cast characters and you mis-spelltwo others. You confuse a recurring character for one of the show's leads.

I'm not meaning to be snide here but based on the knowledge of the show you portray in your post, it doesn't honestly sound - to me - like you have watched enough of the show to properly understand the characters involved and thereby people's concerns about the changes being made.

If you honestly think that Zelenka is one of the show's leads then I don't think you know enough about the show for me to take your judgements on what would be good or bad for the show seriously.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      If you honestly think that Zelenka is one of the show's leads then I don't think you know enough about the show for me to take your judgements on what would be good or bad for the show seriously.
                      I don't know why you even bothered to reply to someone who doesn't know the names of the characters.
                      And yeah, as much as I love Zinka, he's far from being a main character.

Comment

Originally posted by the old briar pipe View Post
                        Also, sweeping the board clean does not make the writers automatically better. Ask the Farscape fans.
                        I would answer that the writers of Farscape didn't have to be better as they were great from the beginning to the end (although the end of Pk Wars was a little bit too icky).

Hm, 14 episodes...much possbilities to screw it up, especially with McKay around. Sam doesn't need to bring out the worst in McKay, he can do this all by his own, but her presence could easily double it. And twice the worst...well...nothing I want to see.
                        But although I'm not happy with Season 3, I'll have faith in TPTB that they find a way to solve the problem.
                        That's all folks.

Comment

14 is a big number, but no one knows what AT's role will be in those episodes. It could be nothing more than a couple of scenes, which would constitute an appearance. I think the speculation that Carter will have a prominent role in every episode that she's in is extremely premature and has no basis so far.
                          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                            Um forgive me for asking but do you even watch the show? You don't know the name of one of the core cast characters and you mis-spelltwo others. You confuse a recurring character for one of the show's leads.

I'm not meaning to be snide here but based on the knowledge of the show you portray in your post, it doesn't honestly sound - to me - like you have watched enough of the show to properly understand the characters involved and thereby people's concerns about the changes being made.

1.)No my life does not revolve around actors who's names I'm supposed to remember. Nor do I care much that 'my lack of consideration' has cause such harm. The truth is - I never cared much for 'her' as an actor, nor was she someone I considered irreplaceable.

2.) Zelenka as a lead was a poorly worded joke. OMG - I have made a grave error. Forgive me! My point being - I'd give Wier the door to let Zelenka have more screen time. At least he's interesting.

3.) It's a personal observation. That's what a forum is for.

As for being up to speed. I start watching 'Sunday' in about 40 minutes. I'm a wee bit ahead of the average viewer. The Ark was great - very little Wier (however her name is spelled).

I have always thought that the show strayed from it's roots.... that being 'Atlantis'... Instead of visiting the 'planet of the week' and interacting with another new english speaking alien race which is actually human, they should be exploring all of the facets of Atlantis. That's why I think 'The Game' was among the best this season (albeit weak ending).

SO before you start spouting off how I don't know 'this or that' or my spelling is off... give it a rest. Or better yet - ....

I was going to say something snide about people at the 8,000 posting levels having no life - but I'm here posting when I should be making popcorn for my Stargate Atlantis in High Def. I have no right to say anything snide.

Tech Junkie

'have not missed an episode - except for that bizarre 'Wier & Jack' crap at the beginning of season 3'
                            Last edited by techjunkie; 15 January 2007, 07:29 PM. Reason: Cause I was annoyed.

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
                            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

I forgot to mention this, with less Weir, I'm going to miss the possible ship between Weir and Zelenka.

Just pure speculation on my part, but with Carter's past expertise, I would guess the Pegasus Replicators might be a big part of season 4.

Comment

1.)No my life does not revolve around actors who's names I'm supposed to remember. Nor do I care much that 'my lack of consideration' has cause such harm. The truth is - I never cared much for 'her' as an actor, nor was she someone I considered irreplaceable.

2.) Zelenka as a lead was a poorly worded joke. OMG - I have made a grave error. Forgive me! My point being - I'd give Wier the door to let Zelenka have more screen time. At least he's interesting.

3.) It's a personal observation. That's what a forum is for.

As for being up to speed. I start watching 'Sunday' in about 40 minutes. I'm a wee bit ahead of the average viewer. The Ark was great - very little Wier (however her name is spelled).

I have always thought that the show strayed from it's roots.... that being 'Atlantis'... Instead of visiting the 'planet of the week' and interacting with another new english speaking alien race which is actually human, they should be exploring all of the facets of Atlantis. That's why I think 'The Game' was among the best this season (albeit weak ending).

SO before you start spouting off how I don't know 'this or that' or my spelling is off... give it a rest. Or better yet - ....

I was going to say something snide about people at the 8,000 posting levels having no life - but I'm here posting when I should be making popcorn for my Stargate Atlantis in High Def. I have no right to say anything snide.

Tech Junkie

'have not missed an episode - except for that bizarre 'Wier & Jack' crap at the beginning of season 3'
                                Sorry but I agree with Alipeeps. How can you claim to be a fan of the show and not know certain character/actor names not to mention the spelling? You missed a great ep that was so far beyond crap it isnt funny. I agree that the show can be good with less Weir but she is so far better than you describe.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X