Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
    And what they did write sometimes seemed more like an Abbott and Costello comedy routine than dialogue to move the story along or flesh out the characters. You know, kind of like an intergalactic "Who's on first". LOL.
    Oy, it's true. If Hewlett were shorter, they'd even be physically like A&C. I hate to say it, because I really used to find that whole interaction funny, and I do think they're both good actors, but the last two seasons have even made me sick of them. I don't want to see more of "40 minutes with David Hewlett & Friend."

Comment

Originally posted by jerkface View Post
      I did rewatch some episodes from Season 1 though recently, and it really drove home how bad the show's gotten. It's sad, but I hadn't realized how some of the poorer writing in later seasons had changed my idea of all the characters. The characters in S1 just seem...smarter than they've been lately. Weir's little talk with Sheppard at the end of Hot Zone about trust and civilian leadership reminded me how these used to be real conflicts between the characters, rather than the tired ideas they reiterate in the recent forced situations.
      I just had this discussion with a couple of friends on Live Journal. They're John and Rodney fans, so they don't see what I do in the show, this dumbing down of the characters, Beckett and Weir and so on being rewritten to serve the plot rather than letting the plot spool out from the characters' reactions to situations, and more. It's hard to watch First Season because of how good the show was then. Second season is painful because of the unbalanced Rodney focus and the pod!Carson and pod!Weir that showed up for "Michael" and "Allies"--and Third season, while it has one of my favorite SGA Episodes, ever, "Phantoms", just...hurts. It's so uneven and so "John + Rodney's Treehouse!" over all. And then there's "Sunday"... *whimper*

And they expect me to want to tune in for Season 4, to watch Carter and Keller bounce along with John and Rodney in their treehouse? Er....No?

BTW, if you haven't seen the news, evidently Joe Mallozzi promised the SaveCarsonBeckett folks today that if they could their campaign mentioned on one of the major entertainment shows (E! and others of such ilk) that he would bring Carson back for two episodes in the back half of season 4. At this point, I feel more like that's a threat than a promise.
      sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
      ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Yeah, I'd say be careful what you wish for.

Compare the early seasons of SG-1 with the latter seasons. It used to be a fairly serious show. Not on the level of BSG, maybe, but certainly not the comical romp it became in later seasons. That... infection has unfortunately been passed on to Atlantis. What's even MORE unfortunate is that Atlantis didn't have nearly as much time as SG-1 to be a serious show before beginning its mutation into a farce. Now that M&M are in charge of the show the transformation will be complete.

And let's not sully the good names of Abbot and Costello, those guys were actually funny. This stuff they're trying to dish up on Atlantis tends to be more embarrassing than amusing. Give me the intelligent, rational characters I loved in S1 and I'll be happy. But I think we all know that isn't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by nonniemous View Post
          BTW, if you haven't seen the news, evidently Joe Mallozzi promised the SaveCarsonBeckett folks today that if they could their campaign mentioned on one of the major entertainment shows (E! and others of such ilk) that he would bring Carson back for two episodes in the back half of season 4. At this point, I feel more like that's a threat than a promise.
          Uck. I have to stop myself from reading Mallozzi's blog, it is like consciously eating food I am allergic to, and then being upset about the rash. I'm going to say that's definitely a threat, rather than a promise. It would either be alternate universe Beckett (when they did that with Janet, I was just saddened), or Beckett-in-someone's-head, either way more of a tease than a resolution or a change.

I'm not sure how to react to all the J&R love. I understand it, and I even think if I'd never seen the first season, I'd be there, but personally I can't get past the change from what they used to be.

And I often feel like John has become more of a pretty stand-in for the viewer, rather than a real character, which cheapens even some of the better, more serious J&R interaction. The final scenes in Trinity were well done, but since I felt like John wasn't much of a character at that point, it seemed more like Rodney was apologizing to the audience.

And that's my problem with most of the character development they've given R. over the last two years—it's a sight better than anything they've done for their other characters, but it feels like "the normalization of Rodney McKay" (i.e. let's give him a sister, or a girlfriend, or a terminal illness so that he'll be forced to see how he should become more like the rest of our cypher-characters).

And let's not sully the good names of Abbot and Costello, those guys were actually funny. This stuff they're trying to dish up on Atlantis tends to be more embarrassing than amusing.
          Oh but next Season they'll have Carter, and her interactions with McKay are never embarrassing... (Is there a bitter sarcasm smiley?)

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
            I agree with you, not about being a fink , but because season 1 was so good and with the exception of a couple of good episodes, TPTB just seem to have wandered off the path in seasons 2 and 3. I think part of the problem is that the chemistry between Sheppard and McKay was so good, TPTB wrote for them to the exclusion of all others. And what they did write sometimes seemed more like an Abbott and Costello comedy routine than dialogue to move the story along or flesh out the characters. You know, kind of like an intergalactic "Who's on first". LOL.
            i actually think there was some true and brilliant moments in season 3, but going in to the end ... sunday and first strike! *shudder and barf*

i loved sateda and common ground, though i hated that shep did have any repercussions from that episode, the same with the return 2. ( i don't think that was spoilerish was it?)

I feel like such a fink; I find myself posting only in the anti- threads. Oh well, sometimes you gotta "eat drink and be maudlin."
            i feel kind of the same way, i feel left behind cause i am not pro season 4, i totally feel like i got kicked out of the cool kid club.

and i'm tired of people telling me to suck it up...if i want to pout i'm going to pout ! lol
            i lick my nose at them!

i'm so glad people are posting here ... i am glad not to be the lone poster anymore lol
            Last edited by parisindy; 22 March 2007, 10:37 PM.
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
            ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
            Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

I just had this discussion with a couple of friends on Live Journal. They're John and Rodney fans, so they don't see what I do in the show, this dumbing down of the characters, Beckett and Weir and so on being rewritten to serve the plot rather than letting the plot spool out from the characters' reactions to situations, and more. It's hard to watch First Season because of how good the show was then. Second season is painful because of the unbalanced Rodney focus and the pod!Carson and pod!Weir that showed up for "Michael" and "Allies"--and Third season, while it has one of my favorite SGA Episodes, ever, "Phantoms", just...hurts. It's so uneven and so "John + Rodney's Treehouse!" over all. And then there's "Sunday"... *whimper*
              see i am a john fan first and for most, but what i loved about this show over all is the team, i am interested in how john works with the team, i love the idea of john being head of the military when he wasn't planning on it, a maverick that has to follow the lead of the civilians, man that alone should have kept the writers going for years! With him and Weir figuring stuff out making mistakes, working as a team to over come problems, never mind carson and the retrovirus... i mourn the stories that could have been.

Heck i probably won't even get them in fan fic anymore now that everyone has been promised whump in season 4

but as much as i love shep, he's not enough to make me keep watching, his interactions with his team (and the whump of course) where what interested me, without carson and most likey weir... i mean whats the point, and i certainly don't give a rats about the new characters

oh man, really that feels more like a slap in the face then anything. After they told him they were killing his character off over the freaking phone! gah! Poor poor paul *sob*

Uck. I have to stop myself from reading Mallozzi's blog, it is like consciously eating food I am allergic to, and then being ups about the rash.
              gad i know that feeling... i've tried to walk away so many time... only with GW not Mallozzi's blog, this place is addictive

Oh but next Season they'll have Carter, and her interactions with McKay are never embarrassing... (Is there a bitter sarcasm smiley?)
              gads... thats all i have to add to that...gads.

i wonder that with his new show if david may not be around much, and it will be all sam.
              it wouldn't surprise me at all
              Last edited by parisindy; 22 March 2007, 10:37 PM.
              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

(Is there a bitter sarcasm smiley?)
                I really wish there was one. I could definitely use it.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                i'm so glad people are posting here ... i am glad not to be the lone poster anymore lol
                You're not alone...
                And I solemnly swear I'm up to no good... I mean, I solemnly swear not to start a riot...like I managed to do in the Season 4 best season thread, completely unintentionally, I swear.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. TPTB killed the love I had for this show by making IMO bad casting decisions. I won't watch the episodes without Elizabeth, I hope I'll have at least half of them to watch. Still, it's not nearly enough. Before we found out about Torri's recurring status I was complaining how she's not seen much in some episodes of back half of season 3 and what have we got now? At least she was one of the main characters back then. I can safely say that they've ruined the show for the large majority of Elizabeth and John/Liz shippers who know about recent events. I'm one of them. Thank you very much!
                  Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                  at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Joe M. has handed out an empty promise. Has SGA ever been featured on one of those major entertainment shows period? Not that I can recall, and I don't see why the shows would start now.

I'd forgotten how Ford helped balance the team by delivering most of the excited kid lines;
                    I still miss Ford for exactly that reason. The expedition was in a new city in a new galaxy with new allies and enemies! Season 1 gave more of a sense of amazement and awe at where they were and Ford was an outlet for those feelings. Now it's so ho-hum and it feels like TPTB aren't really stretching their creativity when they invent a new group for the team to stumble upon. I'm so tired of the medieval theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      You're not alone...
                      And I solemnly swear I'm up to no good... I mean, I solemnly swear not to start a riot...like I managed to do in the Season 4 best season thread, completely unintentionally, I swear.
                      hehe well you are not alone either as i seem to be really good as pissing people off lately to...

maybe we should just have a protest... i got some placards

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                      I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. TPTB killed the love I had for this show by making IMO bad casting decisions. I won't watch the episodes without Elizabeth, I hope I'll have at least half of them to watch. Still, it's not nearly enough. Before we found out about Torri's recurring status I was complaining how she's not seen much in some episodes of back half of season 3 and what have we got now? At least she was one of the main characters back then. I can safely say that they've ruined the show for the large majority of Elizabeth and John/Liz shippers who know about recent events. I'm one of them. Thank you very much!
                      Last edited by parisindy; 23 March 2007, 11:40 PM.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                        Joe M. has handed out an empty promise. Has SGA ever been featured on one of those major entertainment shows period? Not that I can recall, and I don't see why the shows would start now.
                        does Joe even have the power to promise such a thing?

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                        I still miss Ford for exactly that reason. The expedition was in a new city in a new galaxy with new allies and enemies! Season 1 gave more of a sense of amazement and awe at where they were and Ford was an outlet for those feelings. Now it's so ho-hum and it feels like TPTB aren't really stretching their creativity when they invent a new group for the team to stumble upon. I'm so tired of the medieval theme.
                        i had this conversation with my friend twinchy, i like ford and i like ronan imagine if we could have had both i can see ronan adopting ford hehe and both of them driving shep and rodney nuts! hehe i would have paid for that!
                        man! hehe imagine teyla with all those boys to whip in to shape... man i serisously mourn what could have been

there was so much potential with what they had... how could they not see it?
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I am very sceptical towards season 4, here are my reasons:

-
                          Spoiler:
                          will they will off Sam like they did for Beckett?

-Because they want Torri leaving the show but she is an excellent actress (I knew it, look for the episode The real world, season 3)
                          -because sheppard and joe flanigan make me sick
                          -because characters like ronon, teyla or elizabeth are under-estimated.
                          and the storylines are not as strong as SG-1.

I want more Cam/Sam and Dala
                          Paul Mc Gillion back as regular in season 5!

We want Farscape on M6! 538 people signed! What about you?
                          March 19th 1999-March 19th 2008 : Happy Birthday Farscape !

Stargate cast members I would like to meet :
                          Ben Browder, Claudia Black, Paul Mc Gillion and Amanda Tapping

Comment

I don't think Sam's in any sort of danger- she's from the Almighty SG-1 and they are perfect and godlike and will live forever.

The actual Atlantis team, however... Shep and McKay are the only ones who are completely safe, and even then things could change if one of the actors decides to bail.

Comment

i love the shep! shep whump rocks! but sadly whump alone does not make a team or a show.

what good are shep owies with out carson to make him better and without weir to lecture and worry?

and really sam is like another rodney..do we need two? i like rodney better, and really they barely had enough real tech things for him to do. I can't help to think that there will be way less radek and a result as well

give me rodney and zelenka over sam anyday! And what? 10 seasons weren't enough to expolore her character? I really think she doesn't have anything new to offer? How is this shaking things up? Just seems more of the same to me, more of the same SG-1 and that is what annoys me.

i like atlantis not sg-1

what was your fav episode of atlantis and why? How could TPTB made more like it?
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                I don't think Sam's in any sort of danger- she's from the Almighty SG-1 and they are perfect and godlike and will live forever.
                                Of course, they have their own pantheon... They are Gods and we should worship them... NOT!

Well, maybe a little...

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                                maybe we should just have a protest... i got some placards

Hehehe, the look great.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X