Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I see an episode and don't like it I'll post about it (Irresponsible for example was awful) but until I see an episode I try to stay positive... (unless Lucius is in it )

What I'm saying is that it is still too early to tell one way or the other, as for Atlantis turning into SG-1, well there isn't enough evidence for that. Carter may be coming but she's the only one - Landry, Daniel, Vala, Cameron, Jack, etc, etc, aren't moving over, and Teal'c is appearing for a cameo, and it's not like Carter's appearance is coming out of the blue, she has had mentions and guest spots every Atlantis season.

Not that I'm saying season 4, is going to be brilliant, just that I'm keeping an open mind
    sigpic

Comment

There are already pro/anti threads for S4. They've been around for a while. This is the one for the anti thread (which has appropriate warnings and threats in the title/first post): http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=39479

Comment

bump to find

Comment

Killing Koyla in such a stupid way really undermined my faith in the writers, and as far as 'First Strike' goes, any 2-bit hack could have written that script, there was nothing to it: If you set the standard high with an epic 3-parter like 'The Siege', and the immense battle in 'No Mans Land', you've got to keep up the standards.
          Saboo - "You know nothing of the crunch, you've never even been to the crunch!"

Naboo - "I've been there once"

Saboo - "Oh, took a little day trip around the crunch did we? We can all go as tourists, "Oh look, that's a bit of crunch...""

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
            I hate the fact that slowly, but surely, my interest in SGA has really begun to cool. My heart is finally catching up with my head. It was easy to say I wouldn't watch after hearing about the changes; actually doing that was something else entirely. LOL. In the last couple of weeks, however, not watching has become . . . okay (shrugs shoulders).

I hate the fact that TPTB created someting pretty good in SGA and then didn't have the ability, or maybe just the courage, to stick with it long term. They seem to be retreating to a creative comfort zone by changing SGA into something that they already know pretty well . . . SG1. I guess that after ten years, they just can't let it go. Neither can many fans for that matter. Too bad for those of us who actually preferred the stepchild, warts and all.
            totally agree, see i much preffered atlantis, and now i have barely opened my season 2 dvds even though i was uber excited to get them. I still want to be a fan of the first three seasons but i got to say its been hard
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
            ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
            Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
              totally agree, see i much preffered atlantis, and now i have barely opened my season 2 dvds even though i was uber excited to get them. I still want to be a fan of the first three seasons but i got to say its been hard
              My family has watched the Season 2 DVDs, but I can't hardly sit through them. It's frustrating, but I can't get past certain events in Season 3 enough to enjoy what they were doing in Season 2 -- not to mention the rampant Rodneyopia that was apparent throughout this season. In "Aurora", it would have made for a far more interesting story and better sense in general for them to have sent Teyla in to the virtual reality to warn Sheppard. Those were the Ancestors, beings she had been taught to revere all her life. The writers could have written a great story about her meeting them "in the flesh" instead of taking the easy way out and writing Rodney drooling over "Wraith!Girl." But, then, that's what these guys are good at, and what they want to see, as JM has told us over, and over again.

That's what I see happening for Season 4, as well. Okay, they've promised us a "major Teyla arc." It's going to revolve around Teyla's "early warning system" Wraith blood, most likely, and it's going to be explosions and CGI and so on. I just don't trust them after this last season--and especially after all their promises about Beckett, and their "wait and see and you'll like it." In another thread I saw where someone said their 8 year old was upset by Beckett's death; my ten year old brings it up every time he sees Carson on the screen now, that he can't believe they killed him off.

I haven't been at GW much at all lately because I've lost heart in the show and am losing heart in the fandom as well. There's a Dalek sitting on my desk now; I'm thinking Torchwood and Dr. Who are far more worth my time than any more of SGA. He**, I might even break down and watch Friday Night Lights as so many of my friends have been begging me to do. *shudder* Then again, maybe not. There's always the old Star Trek reruns or Jeeves & Wooster on DVD.
              sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
              ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

When a "major character arc" centers on a female, it usually means she's going to get into a relationship. Because, apparently, the only way to develop a female character is to stick her with a guy and see how she reacts.

Her boyfriend will probably turn out to be a Replicator or a humanized Wraith or a Genii spy or something to that effect. Or he'll be another Pete Shanahan- a guy who's supposed to be a nice, ordinary guy but who winds up being an atrociously written plot device to keep Teyla away from Sheppard and who'll be just as atrociously written off once he's outlived his usefulness.

I thought the Wraith were too "boring" to bother revisiting. Isn't that why we got the Replicators?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  When a "major character arc" centers on a female, it usually means she's going to get into a relationship. Because, apparently, the only way to develop a female character is to stick her with a guy and see how she reacts.
                  Ah, so that explains why in Aurora they couldn't use Teyla to warn Sheppard in the Virtual Reality: The Wraith's avatar wasn't a hunky guy! There was no opportunity for UST or dithering over whether or not her ovaries or her brains were going to win out and direct the rest of her life! I get it now.

Her boyfriend will probably turn out to be a Replicator or a humanized Wraith or a Genii spy or something to that effect. Or he'll be another Pete Shanahan- a guy who's supposed to be a nice, ordinary guy but who winds up being an atrociously written plot device to keep Teyla away from Sheppard and who'll be just as atrociously written off once he's outlived his usefulness.
                  Oh, gods, I hadn't even thought about that. Some hunky alien guy, Ronon Take 2, will sweep her off her feet, and ...

Gods, I can't even bring myself to say it. Pete Shanahan was a nightmare from the get go; that TPTB couldn't see that themselves? Yet more indication that they are seriously in need of oxygen and outsourcing at Bridge.

I thought the Wraith were too "boring" to bother revisiting. Isn't that why we got the Replicators?
                  Yes, because the Replicators are so thrilling and exciting! Or could have been, in the hands of some other set of story tellers.

Nope, not looking forward to Season 4, not the least bit.
                  sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
                  ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                    ...and now i have barely opened my season 2 dvds even though i was uber excited to get them.
                    Same here. I watched the extra's, then I watched Duet and Michael because of Heightmeyer's in these and she's my favorite SGA character, then I watched those episodes with commentary. David Hewlett is hilarious. Watched Critical Mass with commentary because Rachel Luttrell does it. And then I started watching it from the beginning but I haven't made it past disc 1 yet. I just don't feel all excited about watching them. I'm just blah...

I'm not anti-season 4 though, yet I'm not pro-season 4 either. I'm neutral (a little anyway). I'm having a 'wait and see' attitude, but I don't have my hopes too high so that it won't hurt as much when it totally and utterly stinks.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

cant wait for season 4. i hope they bring carson back!

i just hope tptb focus more on the wraith! they shouldnt have brought in the stupid asurans/relicators. we have more enemies on atlantis than allies, and the allies are all less advanced in this galaxy. its about time we found some powerrful allies that could help get rid of the pesky asurans and fight the wraith
                      Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                      sigpic
                      sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Same here. I watched the extra's, then I watched Duet and Michael because of Heightmeyer's in these and she's my favorite SGA character, then I watched those episodes with commentary. David Hewlett is hilarious. Watched Critical Mass with commentary because Rachel Luttrell does it. And then I started watching it from the beginning but I haven't made it past disc 1 yet. I just don't feel all excited about watching them. I'm just blah...
                        i watched conversion thats it, i couldn't even make it to the extras, maybe one day but not yet, i'm still so disappointed, blah is totally the right word. I think even more so since pauls latest message, i just miss him so. And weir to. i am a shep whumper and a carson lover, but this was the first show where i actually loved the entire cast, i didn't just watch it just for shep. Now the whole dynamic is just off. I'm not really an sg-1 fan... sure i've watched, heck even got a few seasons on dvd, but it was far from my fav show, that spot was reserved for shows like farscape, supernatural, andromeda...and atlantis. I realize they get rid of cast members thats normal in a series, but how they did it and how the actors were treated was horrible i expected better from TPTB! then the fact that i strongly dislike all the new characters. And the fact that they were replaced! ack! its so blatant!

You know i probably could have handled the SG-1 people coming over if carson and weir still held their same postions. If the sg-1 people came over with out dislodging what was already established i would have been fine. But now... there are just too many things gone wrong.

Originally posted by Team SG-1*save the show* View Post
                        cant wait for season 4. i hope they bring carson back!

i just hope tptb focus more on the wraith! they shouldnt have brought in the stupid asurans/relicators. we have more enemies on atlantis than allies, and the allies are all less advanced in this galaxy. its about time we found some powerrful allies that could help get rid of the pesky asurans and fight the wraith
                        You guys realize this is the anti season 4 thread, right? if you support season 4 this isn't the thread for you
                        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

And adding on a token "Oh, but I'm worried about this bit" to your "S4 is gonna be awesome!" raves isn't really kosher, either. "Complaints and misgivings ONLY" means exactly that. Respect the thread subject and your fellow posters or find another thread.

I have very little hope for S4. The show seems to be getting shallower and more heavily focused on Shep and McKay to the exclusion of all others. I used to love McKay, but overkill ruined the character for me. There ARE other people on Atlantis. It'd be nice if TPTB could acknowledge that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            And adding on a token "Oh, but I'm worried about this bit" to your "S4 is gonna be awesome!" raves isn't really kosher, either. "Complaints and misgivings ONLY" means exactly that. Respect the thread subject and your fellow posters or find another thread.

I have very little hope for S4. The show seems to be getting shallower and more heavily focused on Shep and McKay to the exclusion of all others. I used to love McKay, but overkill ruined the character for me. There ARE other people on Atlantis. It'd be nice if TPTB could acknowledge that.
                            thank you shadowmaat

and i agree i love rodney but what about ronon and teyla? A weir episode, heck a carson episode? I love my shep but he has more then one team member.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

I feel like such a fink; I find myself posting only in the anti- threads. Oh well, sometimes you gotta "eat drink and be maudlin."

I haven't watched much of Season 2 in a while; I remember the extras being a bit disappointing though. Many of the commentaries aren't very good at telling you anything you didn't know (I couldn't make it through more than half of one of the Gary Jones/Peter DeLuise poop joke/locker room funfests). I remember the Kindler stuff for Trinity as being good (sadly, another decent writer who's left "the franchise").

I did rewatch some episodes from Season 1 though recently, and it really drove home how bad the show's gotten. It's sad, but I hadn't realized how some of the poorer writing in later seasons had changed my idea of all the characters. The characters in S1 just seem...smarter than they've been lately. Weir's little talk with Sheppard at the end of Hot Zone about trust and civilian leadership reminded me how these used to be real conflicts between the characters, rather than the tired ideas they reiterate in the recent forced situations.

And it really makes me not want to tune in for S4, not just because of the changes they've made and promised, but because I feel like watching the characters get dumber will just wear away more of my affection for them. I'd forgotten how Ford helped balance the team by delivering most of the excited kid lines; it explains why Sheppard and McKay have become so juvenile now that they have to fill that space. I don't really want to see Keller and Carter ape Carson and Weir, and make me dislike all four.

Comment

I agree with you, not about being a fink , but because season 1 was so good and with the exception of a couple of good episodes, TPTB just seem to have wandered off the path in seasons 2 and 3. I think part of the problem is that the chemistry between Sheppard and McKay was so good, TPTB wrote for them to the exclusion of all others. And what they did write sometimes seemed more like an Abbott and Costello comedy routine than dialogue to move the story along or flesh out the characters. You know, kind of like an intergalactic "Who's on first". LOL.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X