Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
    To remain on-topic: I find the lack of foreign English accents and foreign languages, with the exception of Czech, highly annoying on Atlantis and hope they'll clear that up in season 4. There can't be so many foreigners and they all speak perfect neutral American dialect English.
    Well, English is literally a universal language on Stargate. I know that one mistake doesn't justify another, but it would be weird all those aliens speaking fluent English and expedition members speaking English with foreign accents or totally different languages. Heh, maybe Ronon and Teyla should give Zelenka some English lessons...
    sigpic

Comment

To remain on-topic: I find the lack of foreign English accents and foreign languages, with the exception of Czech, highly annoying on Atlantis and hope they'll clear that up in season 4. There can't be so many foreigners and they all speak perfect neutral American dialect English.
      I agree. They only had 3 [speaking role] characters that spoke English with an accent, and 2 of them were killed off (Grodin and Beckett). Hmm, wonder what that means for Zalenka's future?

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
        Well, English is literally a universal language on Stargate. I know that one mistake doesn't justify another, but it would be weird all those aliens speaking fluent English and expedition members speaking English with foreign accents or totally different languages. Heh, maybe Ronon and Teyla should give Zelenka some English lessons...
        I think English is only the universal language in Stargate because of the apparant inability of a large portion of the American population to view series which have subtitles due to them not being spoken in the English language.

Which is a shame really, since it's utterly amusing to read the subtitles when you understand the language spoken and find mistranslations etc... in them.

Also using subtitles and actual foreign languages would add to the realism on the show, plus it would probably increase the vocabulary of people watching it as well as their reading speed.
        Signed,

Gregorius
        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken View Post
          I agree. They only had 3 [speaking role] characters that spoke English with an accent, and 2 of them were killed off (Grodin and Beckett). Hmm, wonder what that means for Zalenka's future?
          He'll survive, he's too popular a character to kill off. Besides that he has this banner with McKay which they absolutely love to use when both are onscreen together.
          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

He'll survive, he's too popular a character to kill off. Besides that he has this banner with McKay which they absolutely love to use when both are onscreen together.
            So was Carson
            And I tentatively agree, they wouldn't kill him off. In worst case scenario they'd send him into Ford!land like Lizzeh.

EDIT to add OT: I'm meeting David Nykl tomorrow and through the weekend. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
              So was Carson
              And I tentatively agree, they wouldn't kill him off. In worst case scenario they'd send him into Ford!land like Lizzeh.

I'm not so sure about that. They almost killed him in Tao of Rodney...
              sigpic

Comment

Not everyone knows and especially considering the lack of education in foreign languages which causes an inability to recognise foreign words and the apparent lack of a large basic vocabulary among native English speakers, it's important for someone to explain it clearly or else we'll have more of those "The French don't have a word for entrepreneur" scenarios on our hands.
                Yup. And German isn't exactly taught widely in American schools, is it? You guys learn Spanish as far as I know.

And those scenarios annoy me to no end. Free advice for everyone: Learn a foreign language, it's highly educating.
                hehe I agree, it is.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Being a former teacher, I would have said "Go look it up". But thanks, Gregorius. That word is actually quite popular around here (Washington, DC area) in political circles. LOL. Maybe we should start a schadenfreude thread so all those folks will have somewhere to hang out.
                Never thought Americans use any German words, never came across any of them being used anyway. Was a surprise to me to see it here.

Which is a shame really, since it's utterly amusing to read the subtitles when you understand the language spoken and find mistranslations etc... in them.
                I like noticing mistakes too. *lol*

You know what, if TPTB started imitating what TPTB of Lost is doing, like killing off characters, they could also start using subtitles and let the characters speak foreign languages like Lost is doing as well. LOL

Cool! Is he at home now, in Czech Republic?
                Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                  Yup. And German isn't exactly taught widely in American schools, is it? You guys learn Spanish as far as I know.
                  *mutters something about Dutch education and having to learn German, French, English and Dutch*

Never thought Americans use any German words, never came across any of them being used anyway. Was a surprise to me to see it here.
                  Problem is that the English language lacks certain words which are found in German and Dutch. The German word "Gemütlichkeit" and the Dutch word "Gezelligheid" come to mind, since both can't be translated to English and in the "Gezelligheid" case it can't even be translated into German because it means so many things.

I like noticing mistakes too. *lol*
                  The best mistakes are when curse words are translated to less offensive words.
                  Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

So was Carson
                    Carson didn't have Teh Banter. As long as you have that you're reasonably save
                    Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

And also what they said about Elizabeth. Plus Sam is going to take care of the Zalenka banter with Rodney.

A lot of schools here teach German, and French is taught just as much as Spanish. We just never really learn to speak another language because of our size and isolation I think. Though it's almost necessary nowadays to speak Spanish if you live in Florida, Texas or California.

There are lots of "foreign" words peppered throughout our language. Zeitgeist is popular right now also.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

*snip*
                        Cool! Is he at home now, in Czech Republic?
                        He's flying in tomorrow and will be leaving on Sunday. At least I don't have to worry about my English.

Comment

A lot of schools here teach German, and French is taught just as much as Spanish. We just never really learn to speak another language because of our size and isolation I think. Though it's almost necessary nowadays to speak Spanish if you live in Florida, Texas or California.

There are lots of "foreign" words peppered throughout our language. Zeitgeist is popular right now also.
                          You should also be familiar with the basics of Spanish if you order lunch from a fast food restaurant.

Our language is a mash of so many others, it's no wonder it's complicated to learn for foreigners. Inconsistancies were bound to arise out of throwing together words from different Romance languages. [hugs English] But it's ours.

fanfiction.net/~JesterDala

Comment

Originally posted by JesterDala View Post
                            You should also be familiar with the basics of Spanish if you order lunch from a fast food restaurant.

Our language is a mash of so many others, it's no wonder it's complicated to learn for foreigners. Inconsistancies were bound to arise out of throwing together words from different Romance languages. [hugs English] But it's ours.
                            Right you are. I actually taught English for a few years in middle school (6-8) and always told my students that the only rule in English that was always true was that "Every rule has an exception". Here's a fun OT exercise class:
                            Spoiler:
                            How do you pronounce ghoti?

Answer:
                            Spoiler:
                            ghoti is pronounced like fish. For example, gh as in enough, o as in women, and ti as in nation.
                            What a language. Gotta love it. No wonder even us English teachers don't speak it real good.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Add New York to that list. All our plant employees speak Spanish and I only speak English. If they have a payroll or HR issue, I need a translator.

I learned Spanish in high school, but I don't remember much of it now.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterDala View Post
                                Of all the languages I know English is by far the easiest to learn. It doesn't have complex grammar and it's exceptions are rather few compared to other Germanic languages. Also it's rather easy to pronounce. Oh and I would like to add that when it comes to grabbing words from other languages and adding it to your own the Dutch rule supreme.

Anyway back on topic: I think it would be a huge improvement if they added foreign languages to the show plus all the jokes they could make because of the language barrier. Or Carter not being able to understand a French scientist and needs to have McKay help her translate.

It would actually add some depth to the episodes something a lot of them are currently lacking...
                                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X