Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    Yeah but if your hoping it isnt the real Carter then I'm affraid you willbe disapointed. I on the other hand love Carter and embrace her on SGA.
    I'm not hoping for anything

Comment

back to Weir, I actually quite like the Weir character--I think her character puts a less military emphasis on the missions--leave the military stuff to Sheppard and Cauldwell imho. I think she's the daniel of atlantis--the more softer, diplomatic, lets-try-not-to-go-overboard-with-the-bombs type of deal. If she goes, who's gonna command? Sheppard? I love Sheppard, but then it's the same format as SG1. That said, i do see that sometimes her character is a little flat, and would've like to seen more eps that deals with what goes on INSIDE the characters heads, angst, development, etc... and i guess the show is largely about fending off the bad guys... I will def miss Weir and Torri, and would prefer it not happen, but if the writers think it best--and maybe even Torri wants some time off--they prob have some reasons and feel it necessary for whatever direction the show is going. I thought they were right to chuck Ford and it turned out well imho! Gero, Wright, Cooper all seem to stick to the mantra 'change is good' so I'm gonna stick with that...for now!!

As for Sam crossing over...let's see how it goes.

Comment

well she isnt leaving only getting cut back and it maybe to accommodate Sam coming over and that carson is leaving and jewel leaving.

Spoiler:
        on a note am not looking forward to seen Sam and Mckay bickering for 14episodes of season 4

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
          I personally believe that it wont be Samantha Carter that AT will be playing, but it will be the whale Sam from Grace Under Pressure/Echoes.
          This is actually no less preposterous than the writers' logic of:
          * Scantily clad bimbos = Good television
          * All female extras should be young, supple, slim and good-looking
          * A man using a mind-altering drug to, among other things, forces women who couldn't even stand him before he used the drug on them, to sleep with him could never ever be viewed as rape
          * Carson as as a regular gets less screen-time than he did as a recurring character
          * Removing (well, in Elizabeth's case, it's reducing) two characters from the show (killing one of them) and bringing in two new characters = Good TV
          * Removing/Reducing two characters won't really hurt the show because bringing in actresses from two other shows will make the numbers add up and in the end, that's all that matters. Who cares about good TV?

Amanda Tapping returning to play, oh, the voice of Sam the Whale as translated by the Ancient computer might not be so far-fetched after all. Now that begs the question: Why would the whale (or hippoflagilus) be featured in 14 episodes?

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
          Yeah but if your hoping it isnt the real Carter then I'm affraid you willbe disapointed. I on the other hand love Carter and embrace her on SGA.
          Which makes the reduction of Elizabeth's role for her role to be expanded (to 14 episodes) OK? I love SG-1. I really do. Sam, well, Sam's OK (she was great, now she's just OK. She became great again in "The Quest"). But I dislike the way they've handled her crossing over.

Comment

Crossposted again, maybe here it will get some discussion? lol

I'm not surprised by the Weir thing or the Carson thing. Simple fact is that there's not much room for the 'Base CO' and 'Medical Doctor' roles in the Stargate format. Even though Hammond/Don S. Davis was a principal character/actor for the 7 years he was on, he never really did anything per episode. His role was to brief SG1/The Audience about what the episode was about and give them the all clear. Janet had always been a recurring character too.

I think that's evident in how little Weir gets to do in the show. It always feels forced to me when they show her offworld because the simple fact is that it's not her job. Her job is to run Atlantis, which means she needs to be at Atlantis, not running around fighting monsters in time dilation fields. But they seem reluctant to base too many episodes in Atlantis itself, which means that for alot of episodes Weir has basically nothing to do other than say 'Good luck John'. It's a pity because I like Weir/Torri too, but I think it's the simple reality of how the show works.

I actually wonder if this is even going to mean 'less' Weir anyway... Think about it - when the team goes off-world for a mission there's barely any Weir in the episode anyway. It's only when they do the few Atlantis based episodes in the season that Weir has something prominent to do. So she will become a recurring character and the episodes that she had barely anything to do she wont be in, but she will continue to be in the episodes that she usually has a big role to play... Overall loss negligible?

Comment

While Sam has room to grow, what the heck can Jewel Staite's character do that Carson's couldn't? She'll be a doctor as well. Either she'll be some prodigy who actually takes over as the medial chief of staff or she'll just be a run-of-the-mill doctor.

Either way, there's not a damn thing she can do that Carson couldn't except entice drooling males to watch Stargate Atlantis.

Comment

Weir may not have much to do on the show and she may be hampered by the niche TPTB have stuffed her in, but whose fault is that?

Atlantis was supposed to be this fresh new take on the SG-verse. All the interviews hyped how it was going to be "different" and how it was going to be a "non-military" perspective and other misleading comments, but in the end it's still pretty much the same formula as SG-1 and if it's too difficult to find stuff for a character to do it's TPTB's fault for not going the extra mile to MAKE Atlantis different and to make characters like Weir and Carson more involved than their SG-1 counterparts were.

I've had a LOT of issues with Weir's leadership (I even started a thread about it), particularly in the past season or so, but I don't think that reducing her role is going to accomplish anything; it won't fix the problems that already exist on the show (my opinion, of course). Too often TPTB seem more interested in sweeping "failed" characters under the carpet than in bothering to develop them.

I've seen other people claim that Weir IS developed, but I tend to disagree and further I think her character is too inconsistently written to ever be effective, but dumping her to recurring status won't magically make her better and whoever steps in to fill her shoes isn't necessarily going to be an improvement. In fact, I think there's a good chance that her "replacement" will be even worse. TPTB don't have a good history in situations like this and even if she's replaced with a known character (and I'm not convinced yet that it'll necessarily be Sam) it doesn't follow that it'll be a smooth fit.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  . . . what the heck can Jewel Staite's character do that Carson's couldn't? She'll be a doctor as well. Either she'll be some prodigy who actually takes over as the medial chief of staff or she'll just be a run-of-the-mill doctor.
                  Jewel is younger and has breasts. That's what is important, don't ya know.

I can't believe how far downhill this show has slid in such a short amount of time.

Comment

No nes bshing the actors or actresses were just bashing the characters!!

And I'm not too sure about this wier situation, I kind of liked her, and she was kinda hot!! But listening to all this is makin me sad!!
                    I HATE SY-FY

Comment

While I don't think Sam will be assuming command of Atlantis (I think she'll show up on the Dedalus) I've always thought she'd be a logical choice to do so if they ever got rid of Weir. One she's female, so we aren't reverting back to the "man" being in charge. Two, if she were to quit the military (or retire) and the IOA were to pick her, she'd be the only other female that I know of that has both scientific and military background. She'd have the scientists backs, and yet at the same time, she's always been a fine officer in her own right, and it would be interesting to see where she and Shep would mesh... and where they wouldn't.

"Demoting" Torri could have a good effect in that she only is brought in when her story will count for something, as opposed to being the Hammond. Hammond had a wonderful grounding effect on the show that Weir has never seemed to manage, even with her expanded screen time, but if she's brought in on more focused episodes, maybe she will be allowed to use her vaunted mad diplomatic skillz that we never really get to see.

Personally I don't think they are going to pull Weir off of command, and I think that Sam will serve a similar (if expanded) roll as Caldwell, backing up the team/city when it's in trouble and assisting with exploration and experimentation.

As long as they don't bring Sam over at the expense of McKay's growth and characterization, then I'll propbably be okay with whatever they have planned for her.

The real thing I worry about is Jewel's role. She is young for a doctor, even if she plays older than her RL age. I'm worried that she'll become the resident Mary-Sue slash romantic interest du jor.

I like Weir, but I don't really think she's ever contributed to the show in the way that she could have/should have. If done right, we won't miss her because she'll still be around, and we'll get quality characterization instead of just face time, because hopefully, the PTB's will have to put a little more thought into her appearances. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm not going to jump ship, until I actually see the ship going down. After a second season slump, I'm really enjoying the heck out of the show again, and that buys the PTB's enough trust to see how they handle all the changes. If they let me down, then hey, that's what the remote is for.
                      Last edited by psychofilly; 15 January 2007, 05:27 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

People keep saying "Demoting Weir would be a solution". No it wouldn't. That would mean that Atlantis would need another leader! Either another regular or another heavily recurring character!

Comment

Just because she is going to be recurring doesn't mean she won't be head of the expedition anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                            Just because she is going to be recurring doesn't mean she won't be head of the expedition anymore.
                            I think what has people nervous is that "recurring" tends to be synonymous with "gone" in TPTB lingo. Ford went to "recurring" and was only seen a few more times before disappearing entirely (and with a chance that he may even be dead). Carson is being listed as "recurring" but rumor has it he could be killed.

Yes, "recurring" could mean she's almost as active as ever, but it could also mean that she'll only appear a couple of times and then never again.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              People keep saying "Demoting Weir would be a solution". No it wouldn't. That would mean that Atlantis would need another leader! Either another regular or another heavily recurring character!
                              Solution? I think the solution would be to get rid of her all together!

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                                Okay, so the news has broken that Weir will be reduced to recurring next season http://stargatesg1.com/MediaPlayer.a...tItemId=213322

Before I go any further, I would like the mods to note that opinions against the norm are clearly unwelcome and are labelled as "trolling" in the Save Weir thread, so I think I have every right to start a thread where people won't get complained at and flamed for having the shear audacity to have an opinion.

Right, my thoughts. Face it, Weir hasn't exactly played a huge role in Atlantis recently, she is mostly there to send people off on missions, and discuss said missions when they are over. There is pretty much nothing going on with her at all. So to me, I really don't care if she's not around, no offence to Torri, but I just think that TPTB have underused her so much that its really not going to have a huge impact on the show IMO.

As for blaming TPTB, well, until you know the reasoning behind the change, any speculation is entirely baseless, this cannot be blamed on Jewel or on Amanda.

I for one will still be watching S4 as long as the quality remains consistant.
                                OK, that I agree with. We can't blame Jewel or Amanda, but still. And I also agree we can'tblame tptb until we know the reasoning behind this change, absouloutly not. We can't just assume that it is entirely tptb descsion. But, I am also of the opinion, that no matter who's fault this is, whether its Torri's, tptb, or anyone else's, it still does not make any sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X