Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
    Actually I think JM said in his blog (when answering a question about Torri): "We made a decision. You just didn't like it." I do not believe the 'we' to be anyone other than TPTB because I do not think he could speak for SCIFI or MGM.
    Ah okay.

Originally the comments were very passively stated about "the decisions that were made" and so forth, which left it open as to who were the final decision makers...ie., be it Torri or SciFi or the folks at Bridge.

If he actually said "we made a decision"...then I totally I stand corrected.

I am curious though as to what this decision is (ie., what does "recurring" actually mean), how it came about and more importantly, what does it mean to the show? I guess we won't be able to do much more than speculate as to why they made their decisions and how it will play out until season 4 roles around and we find out for certain.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
      Ah okay.

Originally the comments were very passively stated about "the decisions that were made" and so forth, which left it open as to who were the final decision makers...ie., be it Torri or SciFi or the folks at Bridge.

If he actually said "we made a decision"...then I totally I stand corrected.

I am curious though as to what this decision is (ie., what does "recurring" actually mean), how it came about and more importantly, what does it mean to the show? I guess we won't be able to do much more than speculate as to why they made their decisions and how it will play out until season 4 roles around and we find out for certain.
      Here's the relevant quote from the March 8th entry at JoeM's blog:

Question: “You've pretty much confirmed that Torri is without a contract for season four. So why doesn't someone with the guts to make a decision do something about that?”

Answer: Uh, we did make a decision. You simply disagree with it.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        Here's the relevant quote from the March 8th entry at JoeM's blog:
        Pretty much sounds like he's saying the writers/producers were the ones who decided to axe her contract. Probably more "let's mix things up" BS like with Carson, as if it would improve ratings and keep the fans around in lieu of possible cancellation. And people said Rick Berman lived in another reality...

Comment

Seeing Torri in the pictures from the set was great, but no real surprise given what episode they were filming. It in no way changes how I feel about this situation. Scrolling back through this thread I found this comment from ShadowMaat which sums up my feelings exactly:

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          I think what has people nervous is that "recurring" tends to be synonymous with "gone" in TPTB lingo. Ford went to "recurring" and was only seen a few more times before disappearing entirely (and with a chance that he may even be dead). Carson is being listed as "recurring" but rumor has it he could be killed.

Yes, "recurring" could mean she's almost as active as ever, but it could also mean that she'll only appear a couple of times and then never again.
          Sometimes it's tough to look past a show's track record. It's my bad luck that this is happening to my fav character, but I wouldn't like it to happen to any of the others either.

Now that it appears Sam is taking over the leadership of Atlantis, there are more theories on what Weir might do if she stays. I kind of like the one where she focuses on being a negotiator. After all, that was really her strong point back on Earth. As long as she gets quality recurring time, I'll be happy. But I won't believe it until I see it.
          sigpic
          sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by ElessarUSMC View Post
            Pretty much sounds like he's saying the writers/producers were the ones who decided to axe her contract. Probably more "let's mix things up" BS like with Carson, as if it would improve ratings and keep the fans around in lieu of possible cancellation. And people said Rick Berman lived in another reality...
            Oh come on...nobody compares to Berman in terms of idiocy; at least JM takes the time to interact with us.

And I'll never understand the fandom phenomenon where a fan makes up a scenerio, thinks that that's what is actually is, and then calls it terrible. You made it up yourself man!

Comment

TPTB ruined the character, period.

She started out with oodles of potential (being a civilian diplomat, thrown into the shoes of the leader of an alien/human colony), and they never developed anything for her. During the "Michael/Retrovirus Story Arc" her command decisions were inconsistent at best, and her personality/moral code made a 180 every 15-minutes.

Torri complained about this, and they didn't choose to listen, but preferred to destroy their female lead to move along a poorly thought out arc.

Did Torri do a bad job? No.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Oh come on...nobody compares to Berman in terms of idiocy; at least JM takes the time to interact with us.

And I'll never understand the fandom phenomenon where a fan makes up a scenerio, thinks that that's what is actually is, and then calls it terrible. You made it up yourself man!
                i said PROBABLY!

Plus the Carson thing WAS motivated by "let's mix things up", that's got proof by the interview Paul did where he went over the whole conversation where he was let go.

The only speculative part of what I said was in regard to the motivation behind axing Weir being the same.... hoping to "mix things up". There are a slim number of basic reasons it could be: creative, money, actor-choice, actor-life. Creative being that the writing/producing staff wanted the change because they thought it'd benefit the show. Money being, well, to cut budget. Actor-choice being TH deciding to not renew, and Actor-life being like if TH had a long term family crisis or got married or got pregnant or something. Those are the only general categories I can think of, and "creative" seems most likely to me, although we don't have the information to rule out either of the "Actor" ones.

Comment

Weir was put in charge of atlantis because she was a gd neigociator, the IOA believed if they were to meet alien races she would be the best person to mingle and make friends ALTHOUGH whilst in the pegasus galaxy the expedition have came up against 2 major races who are hostile, she cant talk to them, cant stop them so why is she still in charge? Like siege part 3 she should be relieved of her command until the alien threat or threats are dealt with she is not a miltary stargegist, she should be fired now since she cant handle the situation. I also dont believe sheppard makes up for the lack of a military leader, his one man at the SGC there were hundreds of military guys who cud make an overall decision which would most of the time work, weir and sheppard cant.
                  "You have earned my respect and my friendship"

"The feeling's mutual"

"Please do not be sad"
                  sigpic

Comment

Shep is there as he a very strong connection to the ATA gene and can use Ancient technology very well - in a way he's 'a natural'
                    sigpic
                    Spoiler:
                    President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                    President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                    Forum Charmer
                    Forum Ambassador
                    Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

The point of Weir going to Atlantis was to do the same thing that the SGC does.. Require Technology that will help defend the planet. They nedded someone to make that offical.. and hmm jsut a thought here but tahts a diplomats job.. bet no one thought that!

and no shes shouldnt be fired, shes head of that experdition for a reason
                      Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                      Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Maybe she is still in command because she is damnded good at it....!

Comment

Atlantis Babe has a point, - Back in SG1's The Lost City, President Hayes explains he put Dr Weir in charge of the SGC beacuse he wanted to quell public concerns if and when the Stargate Programme went public. Well, it hasn;t but 13 countries (official count as of "The New Order" - SG1, are involved, and with the Atlantis expedition having so many natons involved, and the IOA controlling it, it needs a nuetral civilan figure in charge. The civilian apsect is what makes Atlantis different. - For me that works.

Potential SPOILER! - Stargate Atlantis Season 4 (General)

Spoiler:
                          With the possible change of track the series seems to be embarking upon, a more militaristic footing may be in the offing. If that is the case, it's anyone's guess how much a civillian authority would be left in charge, depending on the circumstances. - Personally though, I woant to see more of Weir as a strong, successful negotiator and leader.
                          Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 19 April 2007, 07:55 AM.
                          Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                          Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

I agree, reducing Weir to recurring and removing her as commander of Atlantis is the best move. Other people have already said it but she is arrogant and obnoxious while she's supposed to be some master negotiator.

She is extremely cocky when talking to an enemy and she can't seem to get along with ANYONE in the military (other than John) not to mention she for some deluded reason thinks she has authority over them when that's clearly not the case.
                            Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

Comment

If they were going for the more realistic approach, then in all likelyhood almost all main characters would be gone by now.

First to go would be Weir, after the Wraith problems at the end of S1, where it was made known that Lanteans couldn't negotiate. They were aware of Earth & actively trying to get there. This puts not only the entire planet but the entire galaxy at risk from a dangerous new enemy. Meaning that on board Daedalus originally would have been a new commander that would have taken over the expidition.

If she did manage to scrape by & hang on in, after what happened in 'Allies' then she would most certainly be out on her ear. Then with Asurans not only looking for Atlantis, but now Earth as well. Then again she failed to negotiate with them. So realistically she should have been gone as a leader long ago. Perhaps she could have remained in charge of the civilian members or whatever, but given the threats of the Wraith & now Asurans. It can only be military that is in charge of the day to day running of the expedition.

McKay, should also have gone as a character by now. He would probably be back in Area 51 or wherever for some of his blunderings. After destroying an uber energy weapon, ultimate power source & also a large majority of a solar system, then he'd be a goner. Not to mention wasting a ZPM in 'McKay & Mrs Miller'. While tamepring with the Asurans base code, allowing them to re-write themselves. Meaning they were able to wipe out the returning Lanteans because of it.

Teyla wopuld be gone because of the risk she poses thanks to her Wraith DNA in her genetic makeup. She has directly been influenced by Michael, Wraith Queen. While also being taken over by others when attempting to blend with their minds.

Ford would have been gone because of the addiction which endangered the entire city in 'TSIII'. Also including 'Lost City' & 'Runner' which proves he is a danger, not only to himself but those around him as well.

Shep as well would be gone. 'Hot Zone' actions put the whole of the expedition members at risk. Failed miserably in 'The Brotherhood' with the ZPM con. Got badly done over in 'Coup D'Etat' & lost them a spanking new ZPM. Would also carry the can for the events of 'Allies' along with Weir. May not be sent home like the others but would certainly be replaced by at least a couple of more senior military personnel. 1 to stay on base at all times, while another in the mould of Sumner, who can go off-world on missions.

Ronon, has proven to be a sort of loose cannon at times. However he's getting better all the time, so given what he can bring to the team, he'd most certainly be kept as long as he continued to follow orders. While if it was a more military type general in charge, who had the same goals as wiping out the Wraith etc, then I'm sure Ronon wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Certainly after all the troubles that they have faced & the threats that now exists, then Weir wouldn't be in charge any longer. It's been made clear that Wraith aren't interested in negotiating, while Asurans may be even worse because they aren't restricted like the Wraith are in technological terms.

Shep also wouldn't be military commander either. I think Caldwell would have been the perfect choice to come in, maybe have Weir work under him also (at least for a spell). This would create a lot of new drama & tension between the team members. Caldwell wants this done, Shep doesn't but is forced to bow to seniority & carry them out etc. So think they missed the boat a little bit by not giving Mitch Pileggi a main cast spot for S4!

Comment

remember rainbow is reoccuring as well and when did you last see him?

i think Torri won't be around long and thats a crime

there was 10 seasons of sam i certainly don't need anymore
                                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Working...
                                X