First Strike (320)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erik Pasternak View Post
    According to Google, that quote is the the novel The Princess Bride even though it may not be in the movie (which, incidentally, I have never seen, so I can't be certain it isn't there).
    It is one of my favourite books. I have read it well over 100 times, and I can honestly say that I have never read that quote in it anywhere. And I also looked it up in Google and I can't figure out where it's supposed to be in the book/movie...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Whos to say they were going to attack earth?
      Very good question. I never bought that. I was on Weir's side on this one. What kind of 5th race are we if we attack like that?

Comment

The one that will still exist in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
          Very good question.?* I never bought that.?* I was on Weir's side on this one.?* What kind of 5th race are we if we attack like that?
          They were building a fleet for a reason. I just don't see what they would doing with a fleet if they weren't going to attack us.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I kind of liked this episode except for the fact that the ending was too "Lost in Space" or DS9 for me. Kind of annoying , but the special effects made up for it.

Comment

Wow! What an episode!

I'd really been looking forward to seeing it since I saw some spoilers in a magazine a few months ago (I've gotta stop doing that! LOL!). Thankfully, the episode didn't disappoint and I was still left extremely excited throughout the episode.

I already like Dr. Keller, even if she was only in two scenes. I'm not sure if I like Colonel Ellis or not. He's sort of a step down from Colonel Caldwell in terms of intensity and "no-nonsense military". I thought it was funny how he barely gave anyone a chance to reply or voice their opinion, even beaming Rodney up to the Apollo before he has a chance to protest (I noticed they even took the chair he was sitting in at the time. Nice touch!). But at the same time, he does seem more sympathetic and even apologises to Weir later in the episode and tells her he respects her.

I'm a sucker for visual/special effects and so I loved all the CGI stuff in this episode. The best bits were obviously Atlantis first sinking and then taking off and flying off the planet. I did like the Asuran satellite though. I wasn't expecting there to be a Stargate inside it, although I did obviously get what it was for before the characters did. That was also a bit of a shock that it takes a quick shot at the Apollo before turning on Atlantis.

BTW, I've gotta say that I nearly screamed at the screen at one point. Just after Weir orders them to submerge the city, she then opens a door and goes outside! I was like, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! GET BACK INSIDE!" Of course, I'd forgotten they had the shield up. LOL!

I was also a little confused at them suddenly being able to use the Stardrive. Didn't they shoot it out at the end of "The Return Part 2"? I'm guessing they fixed it since then, in case they needed it.

Anyway, I can't say enough about the cliffhanger. It was really spectacularly done, mixing CGI and on-set effects as the side of the control tower gets hit. I can't wait to see the Season 4 opener and how they resolve the cliff-hanger. I'm with everyone else in wondering why the Apollo wasn't following right behind Atlantis. Then again, maybe it was and it turns up at the start of Season 4. I'll have to wait and see.

Finally, I did have a few questions about some things in the episode. What's happened to the Daedalus? Has it been replaced by the Apollo? I really think they could've done with both ships being around. They may have been able to destroy the satellite with their combined firepower. If nothing else they could've used the two ships shields to give Atlantis some extra protection after the asteroid's passed the laser. Sure, one of the ships probably would've got destroyed, but the other one may have survived.

Also, now Atlantis have left Lantia behind, what's happened to the Athosians? Are they still on the mainland or did they get evacuated?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John W View Post
                Wow! What an episode!

I'd really been looking forward to seeing it since I saw some spoilers in a magazine a few months ago (I've gotta stop doing that! LOL!). Thankfully, the episode didn't disappoint and I was still left extremely excited throughout the episode.

I already like Dr. Keller, even if she was only in two scenes. I'm not sure if I like Colonel Ellis or not. He's sort of a step down from Colonel Caldwell in terms of intensity and "no-nonsense military". I thought it was funny how he barely gave anyone a chance to reply or voice their opinion, even beaming Rodney up to the Apollo before he has a chance to protest (I noticed they even took the chair he was sitting in at the time. Nice touch!). But at the same time, he does seem more sympathetic and even apologises to Weir later in the episode and tells her he respects her.

I'm a sucker for visual/special effects and so I loved all the CGI stuff in this episode. The best bits were obviously Atlantis first sinking and then taking off and flying off the planet. I did like the Asuran satellite though. I wasn't expecting there to be a Stargate inside it, although I did obviously get what it was for before the characters did. That was also a bit of a shock that it takes a quick shot at the Apollo before turning on Atlantis.

BTW, I've gotta say that I nearly screamed at the screen at one point. Just after Weir orders them to submerge the city, she then opens a door and goes outside! I was like, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! GET BACK INSIDE!" Of course, I'd forgotten they had the shield up. LOL!

I was also a little confused at them suddenly being able to use the Stardrive. Didn't they shoot it out at the end of "The Return Part 2"? I'm guessing they fixed it since then, in case they needed it.

Anyway, I can't say enough about the cliffhanger. It was really spectacularly done, mixing CGI and on-set effects as the side of the control tower gets hit. I can't wait to see the Season 4 opener and how they resolve the cliff-hanger. I'm with everyone else in wondering why the Apollo wasn't following right behind Atlantis. Then again, maybe it was and it turns up at the start of Season 4. I'll have to wait and see.

Finally, I did have a few questions about some things in the episode. What's happened to the Daedalus? Has it been replaced by the Apollo? I really think they could've done with both ships being around. They may have been able to destroy the satellite with their combined firepower. If nothing else they could've used the two ships shields to give Atlantis some extra protection after the asteroid's passed the laser. Sure, one of the ships probably would've got destroyed, but the other one may have survived.

Also, now Atlantis have left Lantia behind, what's happened to the Athosians? Are they still on the mainland or did they get evacuated?
                well to answer your questions. Since we don't see the daedalus again until mid season 4 (beware spoilers):
                Spoiler:
                It was most likely being upgraded with the asgard weaponry from unending.

As for the athosians they were moved from lantia in the return and never went back apparently.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ah, OK. Thanks for that. I had a feeling they may have left in a previous episode. I haven't seen "The Return" for a while.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think this episode was quite good
                    Finally got to see the beginning bit of them doing the tactical strike against the Replicators
                    then the Replicator satellite coming out from nowhere
                    Then sinking the city and pulling an asteroid in front of the beam plus the city being lanched
                    I liked it very much
                    And then the ending with the beam going past the asteroid just before shields are up and the explosion and Weir getting thrown back.

If anyone is wondering what happens to Weir
                    Spoiler:
                    She does survive the explosion but gets implanted with nanites and left behind on the replicator world in Lifeline
                    We then see her in Be All My Sins Remember'd and we dont know if its the real Weir or a Replicator made Weir
                    We also get to see more of her in Season 5
                    Atlantis does land on a new planet
                    The new leader of Atlantis is Samantha Carter

Hope Season 4 contains more brilliant episodes
                    Last edited by Teddybrown; 13 June 2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I waited to watch this until I had season 4 to watch. Nothing like a cliffhanger to keep me away.
                      Cool to see Michael Beach again. Loved him on Third Watch and he's appeared on one of the Law and Orders. Hope he sticks around.

Still sad over Carson but liked Dr. Keller right away. But then I'm a Firefly fan . I seriously didn't realise how young she was in this show!

I've always like Elizabeth so not happy about what's going on with her.

Cool special effects! So neat to see Atlantis fly!

My sister handed me the DVDs to watch even after our big arguement over Ronan and Teal'c. She's only watched a handful of SG1 episodes. Her hubby got her hooked on Atlantis but she can't seem to get into SG1. So I basically told her she can't diss Teal'c unless she's seen EVERY episode he's been in!
                      And I'm not too sure why she's comparing him to Ronan. Weird sister.
                      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Damn, I'm finally watching this for the first time and it's terrific.
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                          Damn, I'm finally watching this for the first time and it's terrific.
                          Definitely one of my top five favorite episodes.

Comment

I knew from general fan response that I'd be missing out, but I hadn't realized by just how much. There was so much excellent team interaction, really hammering home the shock of a certain someone's incoming departure.

The CG did what the franchise often has trouble with -- it was truly captivating and utterly emotional. Things didn't just 'look cool'; they were blatantly meaningful. Especially later into the episode.

The script was crisply written, the attention to detail as high as could be expected.

****, definitely. (That's four stars, not expletive!)
                            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Current Syndication Description:

When a mysterious drone crashes into the city, the Atlantis team's worst fears may be realized.

Wow, sounds like a whole new episode to me! I just love how often these things are way off.

Comment

Are you sure thats for First Strike. Sounds like a description for This Mortail Coil
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X