Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Joe Mallozzi's Blog:
    SUBMERSION (318)

I always loved episodes possessed of horror elements: our heroes, trapped somewhere, being hunted by some otherworldly creature. In this case, they’re stranded aboard a wraith ship on the ocean’s floor, being stalked by a mightily pissed off wraith queen. This is one of those rare opportunities in which Weir gets in on the action as well, joining the deep sea exploration of the presumably derelict ship. It’s also great to see Teyla kick ass – even if it is Ronon’s ass she’s kicking.

The one behind-the-scenes incident that I recall involved those unwieldy underwater suits McKay and Sheppard wear to access the neighboring ship. Because of the mechanics, it was always a big song and dance getting the actors in and out of the things. The suit would be prepped, they would crawl in, then the suits would be locked, effectively sealing the actors inside. It was an equally big song and dance to unlock the suits and open them again so, once locked, there was nowhere to go but forward – onto set and shooting. Well, it just so happened that Joe’s suit experienced some sort of malfunction. The resident suit expert hopped inside and made the necessary adjustments. The director was losing time and was eager to start shooting so, the second the guy had finished fixing the suit, he jumped out, Joe jumped back in, and the suit was sealed. Unfortunately, also sealed inside the suit with Joe was a wicked bout of gas the fixer had released. My fellow producer, John Smith, relayed the story over lunch, describing Joe’s muted, wild-eyed reaction after which John, in all seriousness, solemnly assured us: “But it wasn’t malicious.” The very notion that anyone assumed malice on the part of the farter made it even funnier.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
      It was better than I thought. It was great to see the Wraith again. Great scenes with Teyla, epically with the Wraith Queen. I give it a ** 1/2.
      You might confuse this episode with Subversion, the 18th episode (just like this episode) of SGU first season. The only difference is only 1 letter (lazy writers). More on that other, similarly named, episode at the end of November.

There is not much else to say except, damn that Wraith is a good swimmer.

Monday, Michael, who "died" at the beginning of the season, is back.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Makes me think she must be a very skilled queen. But this episode does create a little bit of discontunity. How was it that the other Wraith did not detect her when the Wraith attacked in The Siege?
        IIRC was not the platform where they all were 1000s of feet under the surface of the ocean?? Perhaps that was something that hindered the "Queen" sensing the wraith.

Comment

If a Wraith can sense another Wraith in the solar system that much water and pressure should be a factor
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

An okay ep.

Good to see a Wraith again. Especially one so old and strong.

The puddle jumper ride to the platform would have been painful. So many scientists at each other. Especially with McKay. Poor Taylor shouldn't have sat with them to begin with.

Poor Ronon. That blow to the lower region would have hurt. And since when does he miss when shooting someone.
            sigpic

Comment

Creepy thing being trapped on an underwater base with a hungry Wraith queen no less! The way she swam over despite the crushing pressure at those depths was another ability we discover the Wraith have. They really are like cockroaches!

It was good to see some more of Teyla and her 'Wraithy' sense! Great twists and turns as to who was controlling who!

Comment

Perhaps since she had been down there long enough she had adapted her body TO the pressure of being down there...??

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis...

1. Gradon...Grason...*groans*

2. Forgot the extent Teyla was taken over.

3. Can't blame McKay for freaking out over the water pressure.

Still OK ep.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                    Haven't seen a Wraith in a while! Go Teyla!
                    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Very exciting ep. Good to have wraith back, good to see that Ronon CAN actually miss, and Teyla was given a big part here. Great stuff, crazy plan. But luckily it worked.

"I hate Queens"

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Perhaps since she had been down there long enough she had adapted her body TO the pressure of being down there...??
                        that makes sense. She certainly was a badd@$$ wraith
                        sigpic

Comment

Not really when you think that she was KO'ed after the water rushed in, smacking her into the wall, which was after she had fed iirc.

Comment

Working...
                          X