The Ark (316)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Think this is the same shirt Mitchell's got, only his is dark blue - and I think Shep just rolled up his sleeves...or they're just a little longer.

http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/sgs1008.html

First photo on page with Daniel and Mitchell.
    Ack. The sleeves on that shirt Mitchell is wearing look horrible! Is it some kind of special military design where you push the sleeves up and it has that wide cuff to cover the rolled-up bit of the sleeve?

I guess maybe it just looks better in black? And not rolled up as far?
    sigpic

Comment

I just rewatched the first part again to make sure and nope, my eyes didn't deceive me (believe me, I always watch Shep very closely. ) he wasn't wearing the thingy when he and Rodney were exploring. What is it anyway?

Re. the pics on New Atlantis. Have to agree Shep looks better but Cam wins hand down with that leather jacket and motorbike. Sorry...went OT.

Sig made by Dana and RealmofX

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
        Shep never wore that white head bonnet thingy.
        http://pics.livejournal.com/nightspring/pic/0000b5dh

Rodney, however, had it on at the beginning of the epy, as in the picture above, but didn't put it back on later when he put on the helmet in a hurry after the glass broke.
        I must be going loopy! I thought I remember Sheppard wearing it at the start? Hmm.. maybe I'm getting myself confused with Aurora...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
          I must be going loopy! I thought I remember Sheppard wearing it at the start? Hmm.. maybe I'm getting myself confused with Aurora...
          Aurora? Hmmm.... Yup, he's wearing it in Aurora, and geeez, does he look dorky! LOL!
          http://pics.livejournal.com/nightspring/pic/0000dhdh
          Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
          Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
          -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Aurora? Hmmm.... Yup, he's wearing it in Aurora, and geeez, does he look dorky! LOL!
            http://pics.livejournal.com/nightspring/pic/0000dhdh
            I defy anyone to wear one of those things and not look dorky!

Luckily, however, Sheppard's adorkableness TM is part of his charm....
            sigpic

Comment

I defy anyone to wear one of those things and not look dorky!
              Actually, I thought Kavan almost pulled it off... Almost.
              Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Actually, I thought Kavan almost pulled it off... Almost.
                And the key word is 'almost'.

Yeah, wow...that's bad. Did Teyla and Ronon wear them too? God, I'm trying to picture Ronon having to stuff his hair into one of those bonnets! Okay, bad image.

Comment

Originally posted by Chailyn View Post
                  Did Teyla and Ronon wear them too? God, I'm trying to picture Ronon having to stuff his hair into one of those bonnets!
                  Not in The Ark, but in Aurora, all four team members were in spacesuits. And yes, they all had the white bonnets. However, they managed NOT to show any closeups of Ronon in a bonnet, LOL! This is the closest they got. (Ronon is way in the back, behind Rodney.)

And Kavan, looking almost not dorky, with a little help from a... I believe that's a P-90?

Last edited by Night Spring; 13 January 2007, 09:06 PM.
                  Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Not in The Ark, but in Aurora, all four team members were in spacesuits. And yes, they all had the white bonnets. However, they managed NOT to show any closeups of Ronon in a bonnet, LOL!
                    That is not a good look for David and Joe. So, out of the four of them, David was the only one to wear the bonnet in The Ark? Brave, brave man.

And Kavan, looking almost not dorky, with a little help from a... I believe that's a P-90?
                    I can't believe it, but the man pulls it off!

Comment

Nope. Not remotely. And for goodness sake, let's please keep the shipping issue out of this thread - we've just gotten back relatively on topic thanks..

What I was saying is that any attempt to save the people in the pod was 99% likely to kill Sheppard and not save the people in the pod anyway. It was a million to one chance that he or they would survive and not just burn up in the atmosphere along with the moon. Why on earth should you expect Sheppard to take those odds? To sacrifice his life for nothing?

Yes the only reason he did it was because of Teyla but the odds hadn't changed - he was still likely to die and still unlikely to save Teyla or the other people in the pod. But Sheppard, being who he is, could not bear to not try and spend his life wondering if maybe, just maybe, he could have saved her.

I would expect Sheppard to try his hardest to save 1,000 people if he could but I would not expect him to willingly give up and die on the slim off-chance of saving those people. I don't see how you can expect that of anyone.
                      So he'll take the million to one chance for Teyla but not for the 1000 people and the kids. That's exactly what I said. It doesn't matter what the odds actually were of him making it, all that matters is he was willing to risk those odds for Teyla but not for the people. Therefore Teyla mattered more to him than 1000 innnocent lives, including the lives of 200 innocent children.

I think you're being disingenous to suggest that Teyla>1,000 people to Sheppard - that was never stated in the episode and I don't believe it was ever meant to suggest that. What the episode shows is that Sheppard is will to make the ultimate sacrifice, to lay down his life, for even the faintest hope of saving one of his friends.
                      Yes, for his own personal friends but not for 1000 innocent people and 200 innocent chidren. Exactly what I am saying. 1000 innocent people are of less value to him than Teyla. It's selfishly guided morality of the highest order. "They're my friends and I'm emotionally attached to them so their lives have more value".

Comment

I'm not going to try to defend Shep's actions. All I'm gonna say is: I would do exactly what he did. Does that make me morally selfish? Probably, but I don't really care. I would gladly save, say, my mother vs. 1000 people I've never seen or heard of before.

Comment

Originally posted by Chailyn View Post
                          That is not a good look for David and Joe. So, out of the four of them, David was the only one to wear the bonnet in The Ark? Brave, brave man.
                          Well... I must say the award for bravest man goes to Paul McGillion.

Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                            Yes, for his own personal friends but not for 1000 innocent people and 200 innocent chidren. Exactly what I am saying. 1000 innocent people are of less value to him than Teyla. It's selfishly guided morality of the highest order. "They're my friends and I'm emotionally attached to them so their lives have more value".
                            Nitpick: the 1000 people included the 200 children. Kids are people, too.
                            (and what makes it so all-fired important that there are kids, anyway? Killing a kid and killing an adult are the same level of bad, killing the kid just looks worse.)

Also, I'm tempted to believe that Shep didn't even consider the shuttle option until Teyla was trapped. Some people think better under pressure. TV characters generally fit into this category. This wasn't deliberate. It was a believable split-second human response borne of desperation.

Even if Shep did think about and discard the shuttle idea before Teyla got sucked in, so what? The decision was basically throwing his life away. If the shuttle was destroyed, the device would have been destroyed along with him. It's stupidity. It was stupid and selfish to do it for Teyla, but the fact that it's his team member, someone who he has claimed responsibility for, when the people of the planet knew what they were getting into (and probably would have died anyway had the team not showed up; the power source wasn't gonna last forever) is what pushed him to do it.

It's a normal human reaction. I could kill 1000 people I didn't know with much less difficulty than I would have putting a gun to a friend's head, or doing anything to allow or hasten the death of a friend. And if I thought that my dying would stop their deaths, I would lay down my life before allowing either of the above to happen. But Sheppard wasn't dying for these people, he would have been dying with them. And there's no point in throwing yourself away with people you don't know, who you've never seen, who won't feel it, who are just information in a data bank.

It's like the "fight to the death" comment earlier in the show. Ronon didn't just want to sit around and die, so John offered him a way out. He was joking, but the same sentiment applies. He couldn't just let Teyla die. Like the deathmatch, he would have gone out, too, but he would have done something.
                            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                            Spoiler:
                            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              I'm not going to try to defend Shep's actions. All I'm gonna say is: I would do exactly what he did. Does that make me morally selfish? Probably, but I don't really care. I would gladly save, say, my mother vs. 1000 people I've never seen or heard of before.
                              My mother? A 1000 strangers? I'm not saving either, I'll just stay safe and sound myself, thank you very much!
                              Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Not in The Ark, but in Aurora, all four team members were in spacesuits. And yes, they all had the white bonnets. However, they managed NOT to show any closeups of Ronon in a bonnet, LOL! This is the closest they got. (Ronon is way in the back, behind Rodney.)

LOL nice pics.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X