No announcement yet.

The Ark (316)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question Ken, If I may. How do you go about getting fandom reaction to the episodes and the writing. Such as, how are you finding out what fans feel about this episode. I'm not trying to ask something dangerous to answer, like what you think of it, or what credence you or the rest of the TBTB give it, but how you go about getting it.

I'm asking this because SGA fandom is very different from SG1 fandom, and most fans aren't on Gateworld, they're on Livejournal. (A set of interconnected blogs that revolutionized all the fandoms that came after its inception in the same way blogs revolutionized the Internet. But is unmodded and aimed for fans not the TBTB.) Gateworld is home to certain groups of fans, while Livejournal has very different groups and thus usually a completely different average opinion to things. Such as with Damian's 'Tao of Rodney' which got a cautious positive on GW whereas Livejournal went *insane* with adoration (averagely). Gateworld came out before LJ and so opinions and fan groups on SG1 is more balanced. And now you have Hewlett's new forum on adogsbreakfast.com (ADB). While there is some overlap between particular groups that divide their time between GW and LJ, (or now ADB) most fans IMO don't cross over.

How do you go about gathering fan opinion for an episode such a 'The Ark' when there are significant differences not only between fan groups (such as characters and Ships) but fan areas, particularly between Gateworld, Livejournal. and ADB. Particularly since LJ, the largest, is difficult to navigate and makes no effort to moderate itself for TBTB.

(I'm so going to get in trouble for this from LJers, the first rule of LJ is not to talk about LJ. But I'm curious dangit, with SGA fandom made up and distributed completely differently than SG1 fandom, I wonder how the TBTB are going to deal with fandom now that SG1 is off the air.)
    Last edited by localfocus; 09 January 2007, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken_is_here View Post
      I wouldn't say he's uncomfortable with emotion, just that like a lot of guys, it is easier to brush things off with a joke, then to speak from the heart. What we feel and what we say are often two different things. Something to remember ladies. It's like we guys are from, say...mars...and women are from some completely different planet. For example: Venus. Hey, I should write a book.
      LOL! I think that book would be quite popular. Thank you for the quick response!
      Sig by Mayra~many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
        I know I'm probably going to get some grunts for this, but as much as I love team episodes, why does it always have to imply so little Weir?, she's my favorite character, so having so many Weir-lite episodes makes me lose interest. That's only one of the many things that made this episode just okay-ish, aside from how it just dragged on and on, and I didn't feel any sense of urgency.
        The bottom line is that Weir is in charge of Atlantis. She has to maintain the day to day operations. She can't just go off on field missions because she has other responsibilities...much like General Landry on SG:1.

Having said that...Weir does indeed go on a rare field mission in Submersion - and quickly learns that perhaps it is better to stay in the warm cozy confines of Atlantis.

Comment

The alternative would have been spending the rest of his life wondering if he could have saved Teyla had he tried. Sheppard never gives up on his team. period. Even if it kills him.
          Point well made Ken and welcome to the thread again You said it in a nutshell, that is who Sheppard is, it's his natural instincts to save members of his team, they're his family and even if he has to die trying he'll protect them to the end. Which is why it makes him such a loveable and very thunkable character.

Comment

The bottom line is that Weir is in charge of Atlantis. She has to maintain the day to day operations. She can't just go off on field missions because she has other responsibilities...much like General Landry on SG:1.

Having said that...Weir does indeed go on a rare field mission in Submersion - and quickly learns that perhaps it is better to stay in the warm cozy confines of Atlantis.
            Thank you for the answer, but as I added (I edited the post) it was more of a rhetoric question, I'm aware of the fact that for tptb she's something like Hammond (only hotter ), I wasn't asking to get an answer because I already knew what you were going to say.
            Just pointing one thing that doesn't make me happy, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
              Well, I suppose it lies with the individual, because I understood what you meant, and I loved the episode. Thank goodness we're all different.
              *agrees*

But I have to admit, I'm having so much fun reading your insights, Ken!

I guess I"m in the minority because I caught the "lifting" comment by Shep and got the feeling that he thought his chances were extremely long at best (which was good because I was arching my brow with a "oh that's just not a good plan..." thought) But then again, my father was an aeronatical engineer for Boeing, so stuff like physics and engineering have been a part of most of my life
              sigpic
              My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

This episode was great! Wonderful character moments; it was so nice to see them all caring about each other again as opposed to the way things were in The Game.

Teyla seemed slightly off to me at first, but I really liked that she had more to do (and say!) in this episode. Very nice to see more of Teyla, and RL pulled it off well, too.

I also loved the emphasis on "not leaving anyone behind", especially hearing Rodney (of all people!) say that- it was magic to my ears It seems Sheppard's beginning to rub off on him!

As for the fluke, I didn't mind that at all. I completely agree with Ken that it would've made Sheppard too much of a superhero if he'd been able to pull the whole thing off smoothly exactly the way he'd planned it. Sometimes a little luck is all you need, and I for one liked that for once, Rodney did not have a solution.

One gripe I do have is that, in my opinion, it could've been made a little clearer that Sheppard expected to die. I know Ken has said that, in his original script, Sheppard made a bigger deal of saying goodbye to his team, and I think it's a shame that didn't end up in the episode. It would have made it very clear to us that Sheppard was not being the eternal optimist this time, and that he was indeed expecting to die. Not to mention that it would've given us even more good team-moments

But all in all, great team ep with great character moments, action and suspense. Oh, and a lovely scene with Teyla and Sheppard at the end. Very nice!
                Last edited by Tristen; 09 January 2007, 01:06 PM.

Thanks to the lovely Pegasus SGA for the awesome sig!

Comment

I didn't read other comments before posting my impressions.
                  I really liked this ep. It was great. I read spoilers and everything, but i never expected this. GREAT team moments. There was just enough humor to make ep even better, but not to turn it into something with L character....

Teyla and Ronon getting more screen time. VERY good. I really liked Teyla in this one. Ronon's lines were also great.

OK.. now to read other comments.
                  VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Originally posted by localfocus View Post
                    I have a question Ken, If I may. How do you go about getting fandom reaction to the episodes and the writing. Such as, how are you finding out what fans feel about this episode. I'm not trying to ask something dangerous to answer, like what you think of it, or what credence you or the rest of the TBTB give it, but how you go about getting it.

I'm asking this because SGA fandom is very different from SG1 fandom, and most fans aren't on Gateworld, they're on Livejournal. (A set of interconnected blogs that revolutionized all the fandoms that came after its inception in the same way blogs revolutionized the Internet. But is unmodded and aimed for fans not the TBTB.) Gateworld is home to certain groups of fans, while Livejournal has very different groups and thus usually a completely different average opinion to things. Such as with Damian's 'Tao of Rodney' which got a cautious positive on GW whereas Livejournal went *insane* with adoration (averagely). Gateworld came out before LJ and so opinions and fan groups on SG1 is more balanced. And now you have Hewlett's new forum on adogsbreakfast.com (ADB) which prompted a large exodus of McKay fans, leaving Gateworld mostly McKay neutral or anti. While there is some overlap between particular groups that divide their time between GW and LJ, (or now ADB) most fans IMO don't cross over.

How do you go about gathering fan opinion for an episode such a 'The Ark' when there are significant differences not only between fan groups (such as characters and Ships) but fan areas, particularly between Gateworld, Livejournal. and ADB. Particularly since LJ, the largest, is difficult to navigate and makes no effort to moderate itself for TBTB.

(I'm so going to get in trouble for this from LJers, the first rule of LJ is not to talk about LJ. But I'm curious dangit, with SGA fandom made up and distributed completely differently than SG1 fandom, I wonder how the TBTB are going to deal with fandom now that SG1 is off the air.)

Well the truth is I don't really go seeking out fan opinions...I just drop by websites I enjoy and poke around. If I see something that perftains to me or my work, I'll often respond...simply because I enjoy the interaction. (I was a fan long before I was a writer)

So...whether my episodes are percieved as successes or failures is really besides the point (hindsight is 20/20 - It's not like I can go back in time and do a better job) and not really in my hands.

I don't really need to "deal" with fandom at all. I pop by here because I enjoy the feedback -- both negative and positive. It's all good!

So this LiveJournal...a little like "Fight Club?"

Comment

Atlantis based episodes FTW, I mean Echoes was AWESOME. Yes I know Sunday is an Atlantis set episode but what 3 out of 20 is not enough Weir for me. Sorry never watched SG1, so yeah no idea who your talking about.
                      sigpic
                      My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

OOH! now that does sound interesting.

Agreed on Weir, thats her job, just like its the job of Shep's team to get into constant peril.

still, its refreshing to see her go on missions every once in a while, sounds intriguing!
                        sigpic
                        My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

I understand. And livejournal isn't so much like "Fight Club" but it's fandom for fandom, and likes it that way.

Comment

So this LiveJournal...a little like "Fight Club?"
                            LJ is actually a much nicer version of MySpace, IMO. Individual spaces as well as "communities".

Check it out some day - www.livejournal.com

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                              LJ is actually a much nicer version of MySpace, IMO. Individual spaces as well as "communities".

Check it out some day - www.livejournal.com
                              He may want to turn images off though Some of those icons and images are . . . educational

Comment

Originally posted by SGAFan View Post
                                Hmm... well, I kind of got the feeling that Shep thought he wouldn't survive but would be damned if he'd just lay down and give up a member of his team without trying anything. That is so Sheppard!

I love the fact that he survived out of blind luck. LOL

Btw: I really liked how you brought in the "we dont leave people behind" aspect to the ep.. and even to Rodney. Nice touch!

I really liked this ep actually. Better than the last one IMHO. I thought it was a great "Team" Ep/stand alone/action episode.

I also liked how the "humor" was mixed into the drama. ROdney's snarking for example. LOL Much like Tao, I think the humor aspect of Stargate works so much better when its woven into the story, and not forced like Irresistible was. (Just IMHO)

I really enjoyed it. Thanks Ken!
                                i couldn't say this better ... this is all i loved in this ep.. i will watch it again for sure, at least to get all the jokes and remarks
                                VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Working...
                                X