No announcement yet.

Sunday (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best and saddest episodes I have ever seen brings me to tears even when I read the transcript
    sigpic

You got nothing on my smileys

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's Blog entry:
      SUNDAY (317)

Martin Gero had wanted to tell an atypical story for quite a while. Essentially, it would be an episode that spotlighted our character during their off-hours. No off-world missions. No threat to Atlantis. Just a series of slice-of-life vignettes. But Executive Producer pointed out that, as interesting as such a story might be to hardcore viewers, the general audience would be bored to tears. Martin needed to find a way to tell his story within the parameters of the established SGA template. And, after significant consideration, the writers came up with a solution.

Like most any episode some things worked for me (the non-linear narrative, David Helwett’s performance, the shocking turn) while others did not (the mysterious Mike Branton who disappears after this episode never to be mentioned again, explosive tumors). Still, as sad as I was to see Beckett (and the terrific Paul McGillion go), I thought this was a great episode that effectively delivered on the initial premise Marty G. had envisioned – a peek at our all-too human heroes and the uncertainty of life.

The plan was to give the character of Dr. Cole a more prominent role on Atlantis moving forward but, when this proved unfeasible, the search was on for a new CMO.

Unlike some fans, I never read the final McKay/Beckett scene as an indication that Carson had ascended and I’m quite certain that wasn’t the intent. Nevertheless, the discussion and Carson’s fade away ranks right up there with ascended Daniel’s goodbye and walk through the gate as one of the most emotionally devastating moments in Stargate history.

Hmmmm. I think I’ve got an idea for our next poll.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
        The plan was to give the character of Dr. Cole a more prominent role on Atlantis moving forward but, when this proved unfeasible, the search was on for a new CMO.
        Not enough crowd to follow the actress in her more prominent role.

Too bad Jewel didn't bring along more Browncoats either...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My response to Joe's blog on Sunday.......

GRRRRRR!

But since I'm now going to my happy place every time someone mentions Sunday I'll leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
            But since I'm now going to my happy place every time someone mentions Sunday I'll leave it there.
            Pretend it never happened... works wonders, I tell ya!

Comment

I quite like this episode. Yes the notion of explosive tumors is laughable in the areas of science. But at the same time their are a lot of concepts in Stargate and science fiction in general that are contradicted by science. I like the MG idea of showing what everyone does in their off time. It also shows their is no such thing as off time for the Atlantis crew. Even on their supposed off day they are rushed to take charge of the situation. What was interesting while showing the crew's relaxation hobbies (ie Shep golfing) we got to learn new attributes about the characters. I never knew about Weir's isolation before this episode or how Teyla was such good friends people outside the team. Previous episodes had painted a picture (ie Sateda) had painted a picture that Teyla and Ronon were isolated because they are not from Earth. As for Beckett dying I really liked It stuck a emotional cord that I think was done quite beautifully. I was never a Beckett fan so I was not disappointed to see him gone and I think their was nice showing of how the team was devasted to see their friend die and McKay suffering through survivor's guilt. It is a common reaction after a loved one dies and given McKay's personality it makes sense for him. As the end scene I don't think it was Beckett ascending but McKay's subconscious as Beckett to make McKay realize it was an accident and their was nothing he could do
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

A couple of questions about this episode Joe Mallozzi replied to on his blog:

Anonyous J also writes: “But two people died (Carson and the standing-much-closer-to-the-bomb soldier) where one had been in danger (tumor guy), and only one of them got this great big over the top send off (they lose people every week, but I guess they only pull out the stops for those whose names are in the credits – yeah, yeah, redshirts) that glossed over his role in his own death and that negated his actual show history.”

Answer: I expect they held funerals for every member of the Atlantis expedition that died in service but we – the viewer – only saw Carson’s funeral because we were more emotionally invested in his character.

Anonymous J also writes: “Nobody ever complained about him – really? Never? Nobody thought the retrovirus was a bad idea? He was head of a department and never pissed anyone off? Oy.”

Answer: It’s not as if Carson went rogue, developing the retrovirus on his own. It was a project sanctioned by the Atlantis command. Also, there’s a difference between disagreeing with someone and complaining about them. The latter goes to character and is far more personal. He probably did piss some people off over the course of his time on Atlantis, but clearly not to the point where someone would raise the point at his funeral (“Yeah, he was brilliant and all but that time he cut in front of me in the mess line…what an *******.”)

Anonymous J also writes: “And I still have no idea what the point of that last scene with McKay was. I’m not even sure the writer had a point in mind.”

Answer: I believe it afforded McKay (and, by extension, the audience) the opportunity to say goodbye.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                  Answer: I expect they held funerals for every member of the Atlantis expedition that died in service but we – the viewer – only saw Carson’s funeral because we were more emotionally invested in his character.
                  Does he mean "them" or "us"?

Comment

It was obvious he was talking about the audience. We don't really care about some random redshirt dieing
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      It was obvious he was talking about the audience. We don't really care about some random redshirt dieing
                      They might not, I do. Then again, I'm the odd one out and not Mallozzi's best friend either.

Comment

Then look at it from a whole viewers angle. Are random viewers really going to care about a one episode character dieing?
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                          Just got done watching the episode, it was a sad but decent episode. I hope Carson returns later in the series, he was a cool guy. I loved it when Joe's (Mallozzi) name was mention by Zelenka (the character's name was Dr. Mallozzi). I give it a ***.

Two more episodes, and then the 2 month wait until it airs on Sci-Fi.
                          God that was a cheap death. I have a rule, there's no right way to kill someone off. This was one of them. The bomb should've gone off as (or before) handed to tumor bomb off, not as he was walking away.

Tomorrow, an underwater station.
                          sigpic

Comment

NOOO! I hate seeing this ep.

Beckett is one of my favourite characters. And to see him go in such a cheap way really sucks. I felt so sorry for him going around looking for a fishing buddy. It seemed everyone but him had someone.

Explosive tumours. That's just plain scary.

Oh well at least he went out with a bang.

Oh god I'm so sorry.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                              NOOO! I hate seeing this ep.

Beckett is one of my favourite characters. And to see him go in such a cheap way really sucks. I felt so sorry for him going around looking for a fishing buddy. It seemed everyone but him had someone.

Explosive tumours. That's just plain scary.

Oh well at least he went out with a bang.

Oh god I'm so sorry.
                              I imagine they thought they were being oh so clever and creating pathos by suggesting that you should always make time for friends because you never know when they are going to be wiped out by a lame plot contrivance.......

I think we can sum the whole disaster up by saying the writers had better ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Then look at it from a whole viewers angle. Are random viewers really going to care about a one episode character dieing?
                                Damn, you got me... *bows to wisdom*

Comment

Working...
                                X