Sunday (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nooooooooooo!!!

I'm so sad to see Carson go. I hope they can bring him back, not just for an appearance, but as a regular cast member. Save Carson Beckett!

Also, I'm man enough to admit that I cried a bit when Daniel died, and I cried a bit again when Carson died.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
      My point was that storywise, there was no reason to kill off any character at all. I loved Grodin, and I still miss him, but still, it made sense that somebody had to die during the Siege. Sunday felt like a "very special episode" written just for no other reason than killing off a character.
      I'm too sad to say much, but I agree with this view. The Michael/Carson idea that's been floating around (and it's a good one too!) would have at least incorporated Carson's death into the storyline. It would also highlight how dangerous the Pegasus Galaxy is and do more to strengthen the danger represented by the assorted enemies they have (ala Grodin). With the exception of eps like CG, the enemies tend to either be trivialised, or simply not convey the impact that they could achieve.
      sigpic
      My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
        My point was that storywise, there was no reason to kill off any character at all. I loved Grodin, and I still miss him, but still, it made sense that somebody had to die during the Siege. Sunday felt like a "very special episode" written just for no other reason than killing off a character.
        I think thats EXACTLY the reason his death occurred in this episode. Not to highlight the 'danger' but to dispose of the character. Simple as that. The no follow up certainly highlights this and makes his death even more trivial. The nature of his death...a tasteless CGfireball??? COME ON! And we all know it wasn't part of the first draft because Gero had spoken about his original idea several times and that it was REJECTED. So IMO it was written into the script as an excuse to dispose of Beckett needlessly and say 'thats what made the story'. But shock factor only works for one episode. If they wanted his death to have meaning then it would have to be followed up, Stargate has NEVER been good at doing that (for anything) so they shouldn't use character death because it makes deaths seem trivial and pointless and in the end has the reverse action, turning viewers away.
        Last edited by TJuk; 24 January 2007, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Really didn't like this ep because of Carsons death

Comment

Haven't read the posts here yet, but I'm posting my thoughts. An extract from what I posted at my LJ:

Oh, boy. This epi blew my mind. I ADORE IT. Not because of the plot, which was OK, but nothing mind-blowing, and that's fine, since the plot wasn't the focus of the epi. I absolutely loved Sunday and it blew my mind because of the fantastic character moments.

The beginning... WOW. I knew in advance what the general plot was about: a day off in Atlantis, showing what the characters were doing until there was an explosion. I also knew it was very possible that this one was the episode where Carson died, but I wasn't 100% sure. I knew all that, but I wasn't expecting the explosion so early in the epi, so it was a surprise.

I liked how they got back in time several times and every time it ended in the same moment so you knew what everybody was doing when they heard the explosion. I also loved that some of the separate stories met, like Elizabeth and Dr. Branton having lunch at the commissary and Rodney going there and finding them. I had the feeling I was putting the pieces of a puzzle together as the episode went on and started to get the big picture. I think it was a great way of telling the story.

I was OK with the Elizabeth and Dr. Branton scenes. Didn't mind them, but I didn't see a lot of chemistry as a pairing there so I hope it doesn't turn into an official pairing.

I loved when John and Ronon find Teyla. Ronon, behind John, making signals to Teyla was so funny. Ronon trying to avoid golf lessons was funny too And the actual golf lesson... LOL

John and Ronon in the gym... Absolutely hilarious. I was ROTFLMAO the whole time. I adore this scene. Ah, poor John. Got whumped <vbg> And we got some nice sneak peeks of John's boxers *vbg*

John and Ronon in John's room. OMG. I adore this scene too. It starts funny, with Ronon smashing that thing into his forehead and then becomes more serious while drinking beer.

John being married at some point was a huge surprise. I wonder if he's single now or still married, even if only in papers, never bothering to get divorced... Hmmm. I see some plot bunnies for fan fic there

Rodney lecturing the two young scientists. It must be hell to have him as one's boss And his hair, like he had just gotten out of bed. LOL. Loved this scene. I liked how Rodney shouts at them first (I think he does that because he's worried about them more than anything else) and then feels sorry/guilty and gives them the day off, even if they already had the day off. It's the thought that counts I liked Dr. Houston. It would've been great to see her learning from Rodney. It's a pity she was killed

Loved seeing Katie Brown again. Loved the scenes with Katie and Rodney. And how Rodney tells her that seeing his sister so happy with her family made him think of marriage. It's amazing how much Rodney changed since he stepped into the Pegasus galaxy.

Ah, Rodney seeing Elizabeth and Branton having lunch. His face was priceless.

I liked the little tidbits we got about Radek playing chess and Lorne painting.

Oh, boy. From the moment the second tumor exploded and Carson was killed, until the end, I cried like a baby. And I cried again every single time I watched the epi after that.

Rodney packing Carson's belongings and his conversation with Ronon, with Rodney feeling guilty and in tears. It broke my heart.

John in his dress blues. OMG. I've been wanting this since day one. I wish it was under different circumnstances, though.

I loved the scene with John and Teyla in the infirmary. So sweet. When Teyla says that she feels a great sadness. I could feel her sadness. A short line but it carried so much emotion.

Everybody gathered in the gateroom. Oh, man. Elizabeth's words were fantastic. The guy dressed in traditional Scottish clothes, playing the bagpipe was a great touch. And John, Rodney, Lorne, Cole, Radek and Ronon carrying the coffin through the gate... I cried so much.

And the last scene... It left me wondering the meaning. Was it just a dream? Was it real? And if it was real, does it means Carson ascended? After all, he has the Ancient gene, so... But he didn't do the glowy thing ascended beings do, so... What?!! Is Carson dead for good or not? Hmmm

I hate the idea of Carson being dead, but as the cliche goes... nobody stays dead in sci fi... unless TPTB wish it so... So maybe, just maybe, he comes back in the future.

Carson, you'll be sorely missed.

A brilliant and emotional episode. Sigh.

Comment

lol. First Janet now Carson. I guess being a doctor in the stargate universe is a dangerous job

Anyone who gives me green is sexy, wanna be sexy? Give me Green! Woopie!

CLICK THE PIC!

Comment

Please forgive, but I haven't been keeping up-to-date.

When did this episode air? Has it already aired in the US?

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jules- View Post
                  Please forgive, but I haven't been keeping up-to-date.

When did this episode air? Has it already aired in the US?
                  It aired Monday night in Canada. It won't air in the US until (counts on fingers) sometime in late May / early June. So you didn't miss it.

Comment

Thanks so much!

I was begining to panic... I'm usually the schedule police for everyone, and I have been neglecting my duties.

I am terribly dissappointed to hear the spoilers though. At least it won't be as much of a shock, but still... so sad.

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                    Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jules- View Post
                      I am terribly dissappointed to hear the spoilers though. At least it won't be as much of a shock, but still... so sad.
                      That's what you think.
                      I knew what was going to happen and it still came as a shock to actually see him go out with a bang. (no pun intended)

It's like watching "Titanic" (IMO anyway). You know the ship is going to hit the iceberg and sink to the bottom of the ocean, and yet every time my mind is hoping for different turn-out. It's like, 'Oh, they'll notice the ice and make a turn in time.' And I know that sounds hopelessly ridiculous.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        That's what you think.
                        I knew what was going to happen and it still came as a shock to actually see him go out with a bang. (no pun intended)

It's like watching "Titanic" (IMO anyway). You know the ship is going to hit the iceberg and sink to the bottom of the ocean, and yet every time my mind is hoping for different turn-out. It's like, 'Oh, they'll notice the ice and make a turn in time.' And I know that sounds hopelessly ridiculous.
                        Me too. I knew it was coming, and I still cried like a baby. Nope - I've tried to type more, but words fail. I'm still sniffling.
                        sigpic
                        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                          Me too. I knew it was coming, and I still cried like a baby. Nope - I've tried to type more, but words fail. I'm still sniffling.
                          It's like your mind keeps saying, "This is not happening!" and you try to find ways it might not have happened - it was a dream sequence, he's only badly injured, he ascended, it's all a trick....

Then Teyla starts sniffling onscreen for, like, the second time ever and I'm bawling my eyes out. Darn you, Carson. Poisoning the Well got me, too.

Comment

When i heard the news that Mcgillion was leaving i knew there would be a huge outcry similar to Shanks departure from SG1. Who knows, the ending for "Sunday" leaves us with hope that the writers just might find a way to bring him back again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                              same here. I thought, no, i wont cry...but that funeral..........WEEPS AGAIN!!!!

And I totally agree aboutb having his death incorperated into the michael story. It would have made a lot more sense to do it that way that this.

Comment

Having a Michael-oriented death for Carson might have been interesting but I thought the whole point of the ep is that death can come when you least expect it. Michael is an obvious threat, but walking to the cafeteria? Who expects to die then? Maybe after you've sampled the food, but before?

Carson died on an "ordinary" day in Atlantis. Yeah, there was the whole "exploding tumors" thing, but there were no obvious threats; no Wraith, no Replicators, no enemies thirsting for revenge... it was the aftereffects of an accident and I thought the ep did a pretty good job of showing just how dangerous things can be when you start fiddling with things you don't fully understand- and how sometimes even doing the "right thing" can have fatal consequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X