No announcement yet.

Sunday (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of my favorite episode of Atlantis. Really good. I think I'll have too watch it a few times again, awesome episode.

Comment

Just got done watching the episode, it was a sad but decent episode. I hope Carson returns later in the series, he was a cool guy. I loved it when Joe's (Mallozzi) name was mention by Zelenka (the character's name was Dr. Mallozzi). I give it a ***.

Two more episodes, and then the 2 month wait until it airs on Sci-Fi.
      sigpic

Comment

I finally watched this episode. I really didn't want to watch it because I knew what was going to happen to Carson. I liked the beginning of the episode but there were parts of the episode that felt like I was reading a fan fic that someone had sprinkled crack over. Some characters felt like the words they were saying were not their own but mere puppets in some elaborate play that no one but the writers had seen.

This is definitely one episode that I don't want to see over again. If similar episodes like this one are to follow then I'm afraid to say that I might not watch anymore. I love the characters but when all of a sudden you change what they might normally say then they arn't the characters I first saw and fell in love with.

(Banner made by Suekay).Click here to sign the petition to save Elizabeth.

Comment

Carson's death was really saddening... There were some fine character moments in the episode, but overall it was quite disappointing. When I heard of bombs going off in Atlantis, I thought, OK, we'll get some Trust action in this ep, but no. Instead, we ended up with EXPLOSIVE TUMORS. Get real! What's up with the Lanteans and their f##### up toys anyway? Haven't they left anything useful?
          sigpic

Comment

Every time the "exploding tumors" are mentioned, does anyone else immediately think of the little ditty from a Family Guy episode?

(to the tune of "Rock Me Amadeus")
            "I'm a tumor, I'm a tumor!
            I'm a tumor, I'm a tumor, I'm a tumor!
            I'm a tumor, I'm a tumor, I'm a tumor!
            Oh oh oh... I'm a tumor."

I think I'm just in a very goofy mood after spending the day in the lemming thread.
            "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
            My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              Still thinking offing Beckett is akin to shoving Lassie off a cliff. Just as stupid too.
              OMG That made me laugh. Very fitting description I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                Consider this: Vancouver legalizes the use of marijuana in 2004. This is around the same time that major and rather odd decisions were being made about Stargate. The trend continues today. Coincidence? I think not.
                I'm inclined to agree heavily.

Comment

I've been watching television for a very long time now...but there were only 2 things, 2 1-hour television episodes that made me feel as I do now. Both were Star Trek Enterprise episodes, and both made me quiet for a long while after the episode finished. I don't know what it was; perhaps I was thinking about the events within the episodes, perhaps I was trying to twist my mind through the plot lines; the character's actions.

The first was "Damage", where a major character revealed an addiction to a drug, and the captain was forced to steal from innocent aliens. The second was "Observer Effect", where the captain's best friend died; the pain he showed in his eyes was probably what did it. At the end of the episode, however, everyone came back to life, and showed the friendship between the characters.

Tonight we add a third episode to this list. My headphones, which I used to watch "Sunday", is still on my head, long after the last few seconds of the episode was silenced. I have not said a single word since the growling lion that is MGM's logo vanished off of my computer screen. My nose, and my hands are ice cold, and I'm forced to swallow again due to whatever process that's affecting me right now. For the first time, writing a "review" for an episode is taking something out of me; instead of listing the points of interest, filled with happy faces at the end of them, I'm going to write a real review, or as real as I can.

I'm not going to lie. Sunday was not perfect. The first few moments felt a tad awkward as we are suddenly drawn into the personal lives of these characters which we've seen time-and-time again in mortal danger, only exposing the part of them wishing for survival. At best, we saw grace under pressure (pun definately not intended), and a little humor/snark between buddies. But this was different. It was jarring, yes, but once I got used to it, everything became that much more wholesome, that much more sweet. I was watching the people I knew having fun, enjoying life, and all that good stuff that they've deserved since day 1.

Martin Gero, the SuperUberGod he is (I had to promote him again after this episode), crafted this episode like a puzzle that for once didn't bore me after opening the box. It was very odd seeing Elizabeth on a date, especially with a little scruffy nerd herder who I've never heard of before. I'll admit, I thought he was a little too arrogent for his own good, and took mild satisfaction at Liz's "rejection" of him at the end. Still, if he returns, I won't be unhappy.

Speaking of returns, we got to see many faces from the past; the enthusiastic Dr. Beuro(sp?), the accepting Katie Brown, as well as our usual guest stars with new, interesting quirks of their own. Zeleka bested that SOB at chess, and took away Joe's Anime DVDs, and Lorne's excellence at paintings were only eclipsed by my lack there of. Even though the main story was not this; it was still nice. Obvious mention will go to the little character moments, such as McKay's marriage stuttering and Ronan and Shep's little beer fest, including the first time we hear them actually talking about potential relationships (and the last). Still, the story was not about this.

As we all know by now, Gero wanted to do a *complete* day off, with just characters interracting. However, while that would be perfect for a good laugh and some character development, what he did instead elevated this episode above pretty much all else in terms of character drama in this series, and perhaps in SG1 as well.

There is no words to describe Beckett's day off. Of course, I knew he was going to pass on long before I saw the episode, as did pretty much everyone on this forum. Still, watching each character politely rejecting him, and having him frustrated, just adds another layer to the whole thing. I'll probably just repeat what everyone else has said, about his absolute determination, his absolute dedication...but it has to be said. Carson Beckett was an unique character; he died doing what he did best. Sure, it wasn't something huge like the Wraith or Asurans attacking the city, and he was the one man that can flip the switch to save everyone; that would've been cheap, and cliche.

This was different. From start to finish, the ending minutes of the episode was dedicated to Carson Beckett. He saved the lives of 2 people by himself. His nurse, and Watson. Sure, our heroes save millions of people on a daily basis, but when it comes down to 2, it becomes personal. Carson died a personal death, the most honorable, the most memorable death. This was in plain sight at the end of the episode; the body might be broken, but Carson will forever live on in the memories of the Atlantis expedition, as well as the viewers. I mourn for him, and what's more, I didn't think it was necessary.

But it had an impact on me. It made me feel things that I usually don't. It gave me a new experience, one that I will never forget. In television nothing is necessary, but when it has the chance to impact a viewer such as myself like this...it becomes necessary, just as it's necessary that we remember him, as well as the fact that for 45 minutes, we were treated to his generosity, his dedication, and everything else that made him Carson Beckett.

This is PG15, still not taking the headphones off, still not talking, still typing with ice cold hands, signing off with an Episode Score of...

10/10

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                    Consider this: Vancouver legalizes the use of marijuana in 2004. This is around the same time that major and rather odd decisions were being made about Stargate. The trend continues today. Coincidence? I think not.
                    OMG.....that makes alot of sense.............
                    sigpic
                    Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
                    |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Ahh I want Carson!
                      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Ronon says he isn't ready for another romance. When is ready? Its been 8-1/2 years! He was on the run for 7, and been on Atlantis for a year and a half. The dude needs some serious sessions with Heightmeyer.

When I first heard about Gero doing a "Sunday" episode, I figured it would finally be the episode we needed back in year one - something to tell us a bit about each of our main people, but no, we get Weir being stalked by a new scientist (well, stalk is a bit strong, but you get the idea), explosions, deaths, and the unnecessary loss of a fan fav. We got some info on our characters, but we didn't need death and destruction. I can turn on CNN when I want to see that.

I still think the exploding tumor idea came from SG1's "Singularity", especially seeing how the writers have ripped off so much from SG1 this season. Ugh.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          I've been watching television for a very long time now...but there were only 2 things, 2 1-hour television episodes that made me feel as I do now. Both were Star Trek Enterprise episodes, and both made me quiet for a long while after the episode finished. I don't know what it was; perhaps I was thinking about the events within the episodes, perhaps I was trying to twist my mind through the plot lines; the character's actions.

The first was "Damage", where a major character revealed an addiction to a drug, and the captain was forced to steal from innocent aliens. The second was "Observer Effect", where the captain's best friend died; the pain he showed in his eyes was probably what did it. At the end of the episode, however, everyone came back to life, and showed the friendship between the characters.

Tonight we add a third episode to this list. My headphones, which I used to watch "Sunday", is still on my head, long after the last few seconds of the episode was silenced. I have not said a single word since the growling lion that is MGM's logo vanished off of my computer screen. My nose, and my hands are ice cold, and I'm forced to swallow again due to whatever process that's affecting me right now. For the first time, writing a "review" for an episode is taking something out of me; instead of listing the points of interest, filled with happy faces at the end of them, I'm going to write a real review, or as real as I can.

I'm not going to lie. Sunday was not perfect. The first few moments felt a tad awkward as we are suddenly drawn into the personal lives of these characters which we've seen time-and-time again in mortal danger, only exposing the part of them wishing for survival. At best, we saw grace under pressure (pun definately not intended), and a little humor/snark between buddies. But this was different. It was jarring, yes, but once I got used to it, everything became that much more wholesome, that much more sweet. I was watching the people I knew having fun, enjoying life, and all that good stuff that they've deserved since day 1.

Martin Gero, the SuperUberGod he is (I had to promote him again after this episode), crafted this episode like a puzzle that for once didn't bore me after opening the box. It was very odd seeing Elizabeth on a date, especially with a little scruffy nerd herder who I've never heard of before. I'll admit, I thought he was a little too arrogent for his own good, and took mild satisfaction at Liz's "rejection" of him at the end. Still, if he returns, I won't be unhappy.

Speaking of returns, we got to see many faces from the past; the enthusiastic Dr. Beuro(sp?), the accepting Katie Brown, as well as our usual guest stars with new, interesting quirks of their own. Zeleka bested that SOB at chess, and took away Joe's Anime DVDs, and Lorne's excellence at paintings were only eclipsed by my lack there of. Even though the main story was not this; it was still nice. Obvious mention will go to the little character moments, such as McKay's marriage stuttering and Ronan and Shep's little beer fest, including the first time we hear them actually talking about potential relationships (and the last). Still, the story was not about this.

As we all know by now, Gero wanted to do a *complete* day off, with just characters interracting. However, while that would be perfect for a good laugh and some character development, what he did instead elevated this episode above pretty much all else in terms of character drama in this series, and perhaps in SG1 as well.

There is no words to describe Beckett's day off. Of course, I knew he was going to pass on long before I saw the episode, as did pretty much everyone on this forum. Still, watching each character politely rejecting him, and having him frustrated, just adds another layer to the whole thing. I'll probably just repeat what everyone else has said, about his absolute determination, his absolute dedication...but it has to be said. Carson Beckett was an unique character; he died doing what he did best. Sure, it wasn't something huge like the Wraith or Asurans attacking the city, and he was the one man that can flip the switch to save everyone; that would've been cheap, and cliche.

This was different. From start to finish, the ending minutes of the episode was dedicated to Carson Beckett. He saved the lives of 2 people by himself. His nurse, and Watson. Sure, our heroes save millions of people on a daily basis, but when it comes down to 2, it becomes personal. Carson died a personal death, the most honorable, the most memorable death. This was in plain sight at the end of the episode; the body might be broken, but Carson will forever live on in the memories of the Atlantis expedition, as well as the viewers. I mourn for him, and what's more, I didn't think it was necessary.

But it had an impact on me. It made me feel things that I usually don't. It gave me a new experience, one that I will never forget. In television nothing is necessary, but when it has the chance to impact a viewer such as myself like this...it becomes necessary, just as it's necessary that we remember him, as well as the fact that for 45 minutes, we were treated to his generosity, his dedication, and everything else that made him Carson Beckett.

This is PG15, still not taking the headphones off, still not talking, still typing with ice cold hands, signing off with an Episode Score of...

10/10
                          Nice post hey I need to talk to you I am going to PM you please respond.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

actually .... I haven't seen sunday yet...but I've got the picture .... some commented that Sunday was cliche coz it's similar to SG1 and all....but I also want to remind some of you that some people who watch SGA don't watch SG1...so some of us don't know any stories in SG1.

Somehow I felt weird...

Spoiler:
                            Because sometimes I found that some were not really know SGA....how it started...where it's gonna go....so I recommend we really need to watch the show from season 1 not just one time....but at least 3 to 4 times...and if possible also watch the commentaries...coz from there we're gonna get back stories about the making process....

Comment

:sobs hysterically: I have no words :sobs more hysterically:

Comment

Oh my flipping god.... this would have better served as the season finale. (for some reason i think carson will return is some form)

Comment

Working...
                                X