No announcement yet.

Echoes (312)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question is, will they get back one of the ZPMs? They must have depleted a good bit of it attacking solar flairs. But, maybe I just underestimate the power of the ZPMs.

On another note I have to saw it was nice to see the psychologist lady again (I cannot spell her name and do not feel like looking up the spelling), I though that she was gone forever.

It was nice to actually have an episode where Teyla at least had a somewhat significant role.

And it was nice to have a basic simple episode after the Returns and some of the more chaotic episodes from earlier in the season, it was a nice break.
    Weir: He's just a boy!
    Jinto: I am Jinto.
    Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

Loved this one!! I'm a big fan of the whale storyline, and it was so much fun to see an episode put so much focus on them. Actually, I found it very interesting how much real science they incorporated into this - they did a wonderful job of blending the biology of Earth whales with a bit of fantasy to make it just different enough to make them alien, but still very familiar.

I also loved that the magnetite as a mental map got a mention! That's one of my favorite areas of migration biology. My only complaint would be that they made it seem uncommon - many species on Earth have magnetite particles in their bodies that are likely used in navigation. Many migratory species (especially birds) rely on it as a navigational aid (along with sun position, temperature, physical landmarks, etc).

I would also like to point out that I got a huge laugh out of the sonar hurting humans like that. Considering that the sonar programs currently being tested by the military may be having a very serious effect on whale health, it was deliciously ironic to see the whale sonar hurting people in this case. Check out this National Geographic article for just one of the many examples! The last paragraph on page one is the most relevant to this episode:
      At the time 14 beaked whales became beached on the same day that U.S. Navy destroyers where engaged in a sonar exercise. CAT scans of two heads collected from six whales that died confirmed later that the whales experienced hemorrhaging around the brain and ears.
      Sound familiar?

Yes, I am a zoology geek.

Aside from the whale aspect, the story moved along very nicely! It kept you on the edge of your seat, and had some nice character moments along the way. I really loved Ronon's attempts at meditation, and John and Rodney's quarreling (and of course the Meredith joke! ).

I do agree, though, that it was odd that they thought Teyla was going crazy when she saw things. It's happened enough in the past, especially with the Wraith, that you'd think they'd take her a bit more seriously.

Good episode all around!
      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Awesome ep. I think I loved everything and everyone except for Heightmeyer. She just felt wrong in the ep. But everything else was perfect and Sheppard gets more gorgeous with every ep.

Comment

One of the best eps so for this season imo, the only thing that annoyed me was the fact that we didn't find out how much energy the ZPM had left...

Comment

I really liked this one Nice to see the whales again and some amusing character interaction. Wasn't like I was expecting (well not hard...I was expected it to be like Red Dwarf's Future Echoes but it wasn't ). Really cool effects at the end there.

two caps

Spoiler:

Comment

plus one icky cap

Spoiler:

Comment

I though this was a really great ep! So much good stuff in this one. Finally I feel that ALL the characters got their fair share of screentime, and they all had something to do in this one. Loved the Teyla/Ronon moments, even though I'm no shipper what so ever , I just think they work well on screen. Also enjoyed the Sheppard/Rodney/Zelenka moments. Overall, some really funny scenes, some excitement, whales...great to see them back again . Hoping the writing will keep going like this, so everyoe on the show gets something to do. Another great S3 episode, hope it will never end with those!

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz View Post
                  I really liked this one Nice to see the whales again and some amusing character interaction. Wasn't like I was expecting (well not hard...I was expected it to be like Red Dwarf's Future Echoes but it wasn't ). Really cool effects at the end there.
                  Yeah a bit off from Future Echoes, but good nevertheless.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

I really enjoyed this ep all characters got screentime. The teyla and ronan meditation bits were really funny, ronan sulking was great as well. I loved the teasing shep gave mckay to see if he could hear him. The merideth comment was a great throw back to m&mm.
                    Last edited by Arctic Penguin; 28 November 2006, 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                      I thought it was a great episode. Very slashable how John kept getting kinda jealous at whale-Sam XD (and probably Sam Carter as well).
                      Well if it wasn't for the slash banter between John & Rodney, this would have been less enjoyable for me. Although some really gorgeous Rodney moments will have me re-watching this one. Also very cute they stand out on "their" balcony again... twice.

It was nice to see all the characters *even Zelenka* on screen and being used for really good reasons, although Heightmyer (?) seemed out of place, I almost thought she was part of the hallucinations from the rubbish she was sprouting... she really has a degree? I also liked seeing the Whales, although they were a little underused but what are you going to do with Whales anyway... other then eat them *thanks John*

Nice eppy but very much a filler.

Originally posted by Sicktem
                      people forget that the whole point of the Atlantis Expedition is to bring back technology for Earth to defend itself.
                      I don't see Atlantis like that, yes before John woke the Wraith up that was a plausible reason for going, although I still think it was more to learn about The Ancients then to find shiny new weapons... but whatever, I don't pay that much attention.

I think now it is very justifiable to say what Atlantis finds that can be used to defend it should be used to defend it, as everyone keeps saying WE are at war. Why should Earth be anymore important then Atlantis? Yes it is nice to have the Deddy come visit with supplies but they survived before and would with three ZPMs again with no contact with Earth.

They have made it clear that they consider Atlantis to be their home now, not Earth. I understand tptb need to find easy answers for both shows and why not have one show help the other out *while it is still on the air* but come on we do need more then one ZPM, we will in all likelihood lose this one soon, well it does keep happening... one minute we have a fully functioning ZPM the next it is depleted or blown up or something. I bet if we lose this one Earth will think twice before handing one of the other two back over. And remember The Wraith could still easily come to Earth through Atlantis, it needs to be defended as much as Earth. Also the PG has a heck of a lot more people or people like aliens then The Milky Way in the bigger scheme of things PG is more important. Of course this is all my personal opinion on a fictional show.

Comment

Fantastic ep - loved every moment of it.

Everyone got some great screentime.

One of the best eps of the season.

Spoiler:
                        Who needs guest stars when we have this wonderful cast and to think that TPTB are messing with something so great.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                          It was nice to see all the characters *even Zelenka* on screen and being used for really good reasons, although Heightmyer (?) seemed out of place, I almost thought she was part of the hallucinations from the rubbish she was sprouting... she really has a degree?
                          I agree Heightmeyer seemed kind of out of place. But as for her "rubbish" I think that partly it was a hard situation to deal with because she did not really know that what they were seeing was not actually real. In her experience on Atlantis either explanation, that they were delusions or real, was possible, so I think that she was just trying to be careful in deciding how to react.

Either that or during the 6 weeks back on earth she had a tragic brain injury and was left partly impaired.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                            Fantastic ep - loved every moment of it.

Everyone got some great screentime.

One of the best eps of the season.

Spoiler:
                            Who needs guest stars when we have this wonderful cast and to think that TPTB are messing with something so great.
                            Exactly. This episode just goes to show that it is entirely possible to have a good episode where every member of the core cast (and even two of the recurring cast members) can have proper development in the episode and contribute something to the storyline. Awesomeness. Every single member of the core cast had some lovely character moments in this ep and had an involvement in the story and it was great.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post

[qoute=neoncrazy101]Originally Posted by neoncrazy101 View Post
                              only thing i didn't like...was the giving the ZPM to the odyssey...cause i mean... their ending SG-1 so why give away stuff...unless we get it back...hmmm [/qoute]

In the context of the show, there is no such thing as "SG1 ending". Sure, the show has been cancelled but that doesn't mean Earth and the SGC cease to exist! You can't use that as an argument as to why Atlantis shouldn't give Earth a ZPM.. "Oh well, they're being cancelled anyway so why bother.."
                              SHHHHHH lol

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                                I think now it is very justifiable to say what Atlantis finds that can be used to defend it should be used to defend it, as everyone keeps saying WE are at war. Why should Earth be anymore important then Atlantis? Yes it is nice to have the Deddy come visit with supplies but they survived before and would with three ZPMs again with no contact with Earth.
                                Because 6 billion people live on Earth, and only a hundred(?) in Atlantis? (Not to mention that they'd have to do without their paycheck if Earth gets blown up... But they've endured this before...)

They have made it clear that they consider Atlantis to be their home now, not Earth. I understand tptb need to find easy answers for both shows and why not have one show help the other out *while it is still on the air* but come on we do need more then one ZPM, we will in all likelihood lose this one soon, well it does keep happening... one minute we have a fully functioning ZPM the next it is depleted or blown up or something. I bet if we lose this one Earth will think twice before handing one of the other two back over. And remember The Wraith could still easily come to Earth through Atlantis, it needs to be defended as much as Earth.
                                If it was up to me, I'd have said one ZPM for Atlantis, one for Earth, and one for where it was required the most at the moment. Whether that's Atlantis or a space ship depends on the story. (And we all know when Atlantis needs the second ZPM at the beginning of a story, it won't have it.)
                                No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                                (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Working...
                                X