Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
    But a few things I don't understand:
    - Why was Zelenka out of uniform at the beginning? He may have said it, but it's still not clear to me.
    Not really clear other than that he had been "camping", as Sheppard called it. Maybe he was camping and doing his ground radar tests in his spare time? Or maybe he just felt more comfortable camping in camping gear than in uniform?

- Was it stated how much time has passed between Return P1 and this ep? Weir said she hasn't had much spare time in the recent past. During Return P1, she had plenty of time to write her memoirs.
    Don't believe it was mentioned how much time had passed... but certainly enough for the giant reset button to allow for the entire expedition and all their equipment etc to get back to Atlantis and get re-set up as though she had never left!

- If Teyla was really the worst of as was stated(?) why wasn't she also one of the first to beam to the Daedalus? Or did I miss something?
    She refused to go. Why Carson let her refuse I don't quite know!
    sigpic

Comment

I really liked this episode. I thought the McKay/Sheppard banter was great and it was nice to see Dr. Weir and Teyla in several scenes together. I also enjoyed the sparring, and it was nice to see Teyla's spiritual side.

I laughed out loud several times, especially when everyone was yelling due to the perforated ear drums.

The only thing was was missing to me was some sort of fallout from The Return. I realize Sheppard will always be the hero and therefore gets by disobeying direct orders, but a little dressing down would've been nice and a little more realistic.

I personally liked the bit about the whales, and seeing the Ancients' research on them reminded me of some of the research that's happening now in marine biology.

Overall, thumbs up.
      Last edited by majortrip; 28 November 2006, 09:29 AM.
      Sig by Camy

Comment

Thank you, Alipeeps !

In Mexico, Season 3 hasn't even started yet, but I loooooove spoilers for the upcoming episodes. I can't wait to see the actual episodes, but in the meantime I'll read transcripts....and spoilers !

Spoiler:
        And I'm absolutely happy knowing that Caldwell is still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post
          We already freaking established that Ancient weapons were ineffective against Ori
          Actually we've established just the opposite. Earth is the Ori's biggest threat in the Milky Way. Their actions have already destroyed one Ori ship and they have the knowledge of a weapon which can destroy the Ori along with the ability to find it. Yet, the Ori have not attacked Earth with their ships. Why? Well in the beginning of the season the characters said that they probably were waiting for reinforcements before they challenged the drones of the Ancient Outpost.

so why does Earth need TWO of them? Oh, I forgot, Atlantis can't be too powerful, that's why!
          People forget that the whole point of the Atlantis Expedition is to bring back technology for Earth to defend itself. The Milky Way is being invaded by 3 ships, a new Supergate could pop up at any moment, and as of yet they have nothing to defend themselves. Considering that all Atlantis needs to defend itself is the ability to power the shields and hold on long enough for Earth to get the other ZPMs back to them, who do you think needs them more? I would actually be annoyed if Earth didn't try to take them as it would be out of character with what has been previously established. And in the long run what's the difference if Atlantis or Earth has them? Atlantis can't use 3 ZPMs to move the city because they damaged the engines and in the mean time we get to see them in action on Sg-1. It's not like they're being destroyed, they're being put to good use and will get screen time. Then after the Sg-1 movies conclude the Ori storyline Atlantis may get them back.

Odyssey might last a little bit longer VS an Ori ship with a ZPM, won't change
          Being able to take a hit without instantly being disabled may be just what they need. It could lead to them finding a way to finally getting a nuke onboard, it means they can do scouting missions and retreive their team without worrying about losing their own ship, it means having a better chance of stopping a future supergate from being constructed or being able to disable one despite being fired on, and who knows they may find a way to interface drones with their ship so it can fire them. If not I'm hoping that one of the Sg-1 episodes will explain what happened with the Tria since Atlantis has ignored it and perhaps they can bring the ship back and use it against an Ori ship.

In the end, I think you have a bias against Sg-1 and because of that anything that transfers over from Atlantis to it is something you see as being lost. Yet, it goes both ways as Sg-1 is the reason for the Daedalus, the first ZPM they got, and so on. Sg-1 could've really used a new ZPM powered ship called the Daedalus and yet as soon as the ship was completed they sent it right to the Pegasus galaxy to defend the eventual rewards they were hoping to get from Atlantis.
          Last edited by Sicktem; 08 January 2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicktem View Post
            In the end, I think you have a bias against Sg-1 and because of that anything that transfers over from Atlantis to it is something you see as being lost. Yet, it goes both ways as Sg-1 the reason for the Daedalus, the first ZPM they got, and so on. Sg-1 could've really used a new ZPM powered ship called the Daedalus and yet as soon as the ship was completed they sent it right to the Pegasus galaxy to defend the eventual rewards they were hoping to get from Atlantis.
            Actually, I like SG-1 more than Atlantis. I just don't buy the explanation we've been given; that Earth/Odyssey could use them against the Ori. I don't think it has anything to do with the story, it's just the writers being lazy, i.e. they don't want Atlantis to be too powerful because that would offset the balance in the Pegasus galaxy. Atlantis no longer being vulnerable would mean that it'd get harder to write more of those "Atlantis almost, but just ALMOST destroyed" episodes.....

I don't like that they started this episode by explaining how they lost the deal with the ZPMs either. It just felt cheap, like they had to throw that in somewhere, without really explaining it. I don't like that Weir totally bent over either and was all right with it either. She's supposed to be the leader of Atlantis and shouldn't just give away ZPMs left and right.
            We're whalers on the moon,
            We carry a harpoon.
            But there ain't no whales
            So we tell tall tales
            And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Loved the characterisations in this episode. Ronon was priceless (and with actual lines!!) Even though I'm a McKay/Ronon person, I like the way they're going about the Ronon and Teyla dynamic. I also love the 2 CFL references...Rodney and Sheppard are awesome together as usual.

I found the story a bit dragging in parts, since it was fairly obvious that Teyla wasn't nuts and that the whales and apparitions were connected. They probably could have cut some of that out. Especially weird was that people assumed they weren't real considering that Teyla has a history of psychic links.

There was a bit of a reset, but then the most damaged part from Return would have been the Star Drive, which they obviously have no intention of using, so I can see how it wouldn't come up. But John had a line about the intergalactic bridge and how they couldn't use it because the midway station wasn't done...which unless Landry really did blow it up seems to contradict the events of The Return.

Overall, good character episode with a story that mostly held together.
              Visit these links:
              Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
              ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
              There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
              ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post
                She's supposed to be the leader of Atlantis and shouldn't just give away ZPMs left and right.
                She might not have had much of a choice. She did say (I think) that it wasn't up to her and I'm prettysure that she and Sheppard aren't really in the best of standing with SGC and the IOA at the moment.
                Visit these links:
                Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam

~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Giving up all 3 ZPMs was stupid as hell! They should have just found a way to fix the star drive and got Atlantis the hell out of the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Fix the Stardrive (which had been droned) in about a week? Pft.

I thought it was a great episode. Very slashable how John kept getting kinda jealous at whale-Sam XD (and probably Sam Carter as well).

Yes, you figured it out pretty quickly that it was the whales giving them the hallucinations. The only question was why. And it was neither expected or stupid. And let's all be happy they didn't nerf Atlantis even more by depleting our one and only ZPM.

It's a "filler"-episode, yes, as it doesn't pertain to the current war against the Asurans and the on-off war against the Wraith, but it was a great episode, nonetheless. We can't have all episodes be linear.

Comment

only thing i didn't like...was the giving the ZPM to the odyssey...cause i mean... their ending SG-1 so why give away stuff...unless we get it back...hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by ShoDar View Post
                        But John had a line about the intergalactic bridge and how they couldn't use it because the midway station wasn't done...which unless Landry really did blow it up seems to contradict the events of The Return.
                        McKay stated they couldn't use the gate bridge to evacuate to Earth because the midway station wasn't finished so they would have to shuttle people by jumper and there wasn't enough time. Meaning that - as I had assumed from Return Part II - Landry hadn't blown up the midway station yet and that it is still as we saw it in Return Part I - a basic framework open to space. The only way to use it therefore is to be in a jumper.

What I found interesting is that from McKay's comment we learn that they do intend to finish the midway station, as in turning it into a proper space-station enclosing the gates, meaning that people could actually use the gate bridge on foot! Coolness! Of course, based on certain spoilers, it'll probably never happen but still.. cool that that was their intention.

Originally posted by GateMan2000 View Post
                        Giving up all 3 ZPMs was stupid as hell! They should have just found a way to fix the star drive and got Atlantis the hell out of the Pegasus Galaxy.
                        Well, they've already discussed the issue of simply leaving the Pegasus galaxy before - it's not just about them anymore. They woke up the Wraith and the entire galaxy is having to deal with that... they do have a certain responsibility to stay and try and help those people to deal with/defeat the Wraith. And they didn't give up all 3 ZPMs.. they shared them out. Kept 1 for Atlantis, 1 for Earth and 1 for the Odyssey.

Originally posted by neoncrazy101 View Post
                        only thing i didn't like...was the giving the ZPM to the odyssey...cause i mean... their ending SG-1 so why give away stuff...unless we get it back...hmmm
                        In the context of the show, there is no such thing as "SG1 ending". Sure, the show has been cancelled but that doesn't mean Earth and the SGC cease to exist! You can't use that as an argument as to why Atlantis shouldn't give Earth a ZPM.. "Oh well, they're being cancelled anyway so why bother.."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShoDar View Post
                          She might not have had much of a choice. She did say (I think) that it wasn't up to her and I'm prettysure that she and Sheppard aren't really in the best of standing with SGC and the IOA at the moment.
                          Exactly.

Weir has bosses too. It's not like she can stick her fingers in her ear and ignore the IOA.

Personally, I like the idea of using 2 of the ZPMs to help out earth and the Oddy.

Say hello to my little friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                            McKay stated they couldn't use the gate bridge to evacuate to Earth because the midway station wasn't finished so they would have to shuttle people by jumper and there wasn't enough time. Meaning that - as I had assumed from Return Part II - Landry hadn't blown up the midway station yet and that it is still as we saw it in Return Part I - a basic framework open to space. The only way to use it therefore is to be in a jumper.
                            Ooops, I could have sworn that was John who said that... interesting how the two of them meld in my head sometimes
                            Ah, that makes more sense then. I thought they were planning to leave it open like it was in The Return. I wonder if the fact that everybody hates filing in the jumper influenced that design.
                            Visit these links:

~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Well atleast know of a possbile big battle at the end of SG-1 witht the two ZPMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Iguana775 View Post
                                Exactly.

Weir has bosses too. It's not like she can stick her fingers in her ear and ignore the IOA.

Personally, I like the idea of using 2 of the ZPMs to help out earth and the Oddy.
                                I support the idea of giving one to the Antarctic Outpost. what I don't like is them giving it to the Oddy. It's not like it will help. All it will do is give the Oddy more time to run away. It's not like the Odyssey will actually ever win a battle with an Ori ship, and 1 ZPM will only boost their shields. What they need are better weapons, not a stronger shield. It doesn't matter how strong Oddy's shields are, if her weapons aren't effective then there's no point in even fighting. Giving away 2 ZPM's was stupid.
                                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                                X