No announcement yet.

Common Ground (307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent episode! I loved seeing Kolya again, as he's one of only big recurring villains to have names (that's a little sad, c'mon!). His harpoon gun was pretty cool. Anyway, Sheppard was great here. I felt like his being at the center of the show wasn't just because he was the male lead like in other episodes. His connection with the Wraith (who I hope comes back and gets a name, more on that later) was illustrated nicely in their various hostile bonding scenes.

The Wraith was just as, if not more fascinating than, Michael. I hope we do see him again, because he gave us insight into how like us the Wraith are. Like the Tok'ra in SG1, we're shown that not all of the villain race are "evil." The Wraith need to eat humans to survive. Ultimately, if we're to defeat the Wraith, we need to find a way for them to feed on something else. Kolya was superb as usual, using distorted logic to justify his cause. There was an interesting parallel with terrorism in the real world this episode, and I applaud Ken Cuperus for not shying away from it.

The supporting cast did a nice job, particularly Weir in her dealing with Ladin and Kolya. Rodney's speech was hilarious as well. I liked Ronon's concern for Sheppard, and how he only seems to lose his cool when his friends' or his life is in danger. Teyla...once again not a lot to say. I like her character, they just don't do enough with her.

Overall though, 3.5/4 stars
    Spoiler:
    Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star
      Where were these sympathetic feelings of Sheppard toward the wraith back during Misbegotten? Getting the life sucked out of you apparently changes your viewpoints on a lot of different things.
      I don't think Sheppard was sympathetic to the Wraith in this episode. They had a common goal, to get home, and apparently thought they needed each other to obtain it. They had a deal, and they both honored that deal.
      Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

This episode was a perfect example of why Weir cannot be trusted in situations like this. As soon as something bad happens to Sheppard, she should just put Teyla in charge (somewhat kidding). The scene when Sheppard was first being tortured and she was screaming "No! No!" like a despondent lover were just terribly bad. The fact that she even considered giving over Ladon, a head of state and the only major ally they have in the PG, just to save Sheppard was also equally bad. Why did Weir even keep Ladon as essentially a prisoner in Atlantis if she was not going to give him over to Koyla? Look what happened as soon as she let him go, he gets the information they need to go find Sheppard, yet she is holding him there in Atlantis out of some misguided and subtle threat.

Also, the whole concept of the buddy pairing with the wraith was absolutely, positively ludicrous. Yes, it was done well and entertaining, but the entire plot totally rings false.

In Misbegotten, we have a wraith that helps the entire crew of the Daedalus, saving their lives (not just Sheppard). He does this, as many argued, out of his own self-interest, but still he helps. He knows of the existence of Atlantis. What happens to this wraith? He is imprisoned, transformed to something against his will, betrayed despite his essential assistance to the people from Atlantis. In Common Ground, we have a wraith that saves the life of Sheppard only. He does this primarily out of his own self-interest. He also knows of the existence of Atlantis (he must know). What happens to this wraith? Is he betrayed? No, he is set free, and is actually treated as some kind of special wraith who is somehow the equal of the human Sheppard.

Where were these sympathetic feelings of Sheppard toward the wraith back during Misbegotten? Getting the life sucked out of you apparently changes your viewpoints on a lot of different things.

I respectfully disagree with every point you make. I don't see how Weir could have handled the situation any better or more professionally (and I sometimes don't particularly care for her either), and the reason Sheppard felt sympathy was because this Wraith had been tortured by the same man who was presently torturing our beloved Colonel. Not to mention the Wraith was surprisingly civil in the cell, helped him escape, kept up his part of the deal, and GAVE HIM HIS LIFE BACK. How is that anything like "Misbegotten?"
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

This episode was a perfect example of why Weir cannot be trusted in situations like this. As soon as something bad happens to Sheppard, she should just put Teyla in charge (somewhat kidding). The scene when Sheppard was first being tortured and she was screaming "No! No!" like a despondent lover were just terribly bad. The fact that she even considered giving over Ladon, a head of state and the only major ally they have in the PG, just to save Sheppard was also equally bad. Why did Weir even keep Ladon as essentially a prisoner in Atlantis if she was not going to give him over to Koyla? Look what happened as soon as she let him go, he gets the information they need to go find Sheppard, yet she is holding him there in Atlantis out of some misguided and subtle threat.

Also, the whole concept of the buddy pairing with the wraith was absolutely, positively ludicrous. Yes, it was done well and entertaining, but the entire plot totally rings false.

In Misbegotten, we have a wraith that helps the entire crew of the Daedalus, saving their lives (not just Sheppard). He does this, as many argued, out of his own self-interest, but still he helps. He knows of the existence of Atlantis. What happens to this wraith? He is imprisoned, transformed to something against his will, betrayed despite his essential assistance to the people from Atlantis. In Common Ground, we have a wraith that saves the life of Sheppard only. He does this primarily out of his own self-interest. He also knows of the existence of Atlantis (he must know). What happens to this wraith? Is he betrayed? No, he is set free, and is actually treated as some kind of special wraith who is somehow the equal of the human Sheppard.

The Wraith in this ep doesn't know about Atlantis/Earth - galaxy full of humans - because he has been inprisioned for years, while Micheal on the other hand did. Even if his little wraithy buddies recognize the name "John Sheppard" or his description of the Atlantis team uniforms and they go to Atlantis to check it out...danger, danger... no, wait... cloaking devise. John and freinds would only be seen as "Survivors of Atlantis", since they wouldn't be able to see the city and it's reasonable for the Wraith assume if the city had been destroyed, some of the inhabitants would have gated off world first. Micheal on the other hand could squeal like a pig to let them know about the cloaking devise.

And PS... WEIR RULES!!!!!! Go Weir!

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners
            I don't think Sheppard was sympathetic to the Wraith in this episode. They had a common goal, to get home, and apparently thought they needed each other to obtain it. They had a deal, and they both honored that deal.
            The fact that John honored the deal is, I hope, a huge step forward in Wraith/human interactions. The SGA team let Michael down at pretty much every opportunity, and the Wraith queen turned on SGA when they tried to hold up a bargain with her. This was the first time that a bargain with the Wraith was honored on both sides.

Comment

So... I may be the only one here, but I find the Wraith (as a species) less sympathetic after meeting this new guy. If they have the ability to restore life without, as far as I could tell, any negative effects on themselves... why do they go around slaughtering people? Couldn't humans and Wraith co-exist (in some sick and twisted feed/restore cycle)?

(And holy moly we didn't see much of Teyla but what we did see were BOOBS. Sheesh. Lovely actress, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bit less flesh.)

Comment

[QUOTE=Peanutbutter]So... I may be the only one here, but I find the Wraith (as a species) less sympathetic after meeting this new guy. If they have the ability to restore life without, as far as I could tell, any negative effects on themselves... why do they go around slaughtering people? Couldn't humans and Wraith co-exist (in some sick and twisted feed/restore cycle)?

[QUOTE]

I think the reason the Wraith was able to restore Sheppard was because he'd just fed on the Genii guards and, as such, had the energy to spare.
                Theoretically spoilerish:
                Spoiler:
                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanutbutter
                  So... I may be the only one here, but I find the Wraith (as a species) less sympathetic after meeting this new guy. If they have the ability to restore life without, as far as I could tell, any negative effects on themselves... why do they go around slaughtering people? Couldn't humans and Wraith co-exist (in some sick and twisted feed/restore cycle)?

(And holy moly we didn't see much of Teyla but what we did see were BOOBS. Sheesh. Lovely actress, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bit less flesh.)
                  I didn't notice her boobs, lol.

Anyways, the Wraith sucked out a lot more life out of Shepho and then proceeded to suck dry 2 Genii soliders. Or at least I am assuming it was two, why else would he keep the other dude alive while he feed on one of the soliders? If that was the case, the Wraith was well feed and plenty of "extra life" to spare to John. So unless, the humans are willing to live with the fact that another person gets wraithed to death so that they can be restored... Yeah... I don't see much co-existing going on. Except for the few crazies that worship the Wraith of course. But like I said, they are crazy, so don't count.

Comment

best ep behind progeny and way above the hell awful real world
                    A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Because that would be cruel? What human would want to be fed upon repeatedly? And it could have the same effects like the sarcophagus maybe? After prolonged use, it stops having an affect?

Didn't notice in this episode, but I did noticed Teyla was a bit booby in Sateda as well.

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners
                        Because that would be cruel? What human would want to be fed upon repeatedly? And it could have the same effects like the sarcophagus maybe? After prolonged use, it stops having an affect?
                        Yeah, sucking them dry then reviving them isn't really the nicest thing to do -- but I'd take that over being left for dead.

However, it seems that the consensus is that he just had some extra life in him from the Genii -- so it wouldn't work out, as people would have to die anyway.

So, moot point.

Comment

Yeah, sucking them dry then reviving them isn't really the nicest thing to do -- but I'd take that over being left for dead.

However, it seems that the consensus is that he just had some extra life in him from the Genii -- so it wouldn't work out, as people would have to die anyway.

So, moot point.
                          That does seem to be the consensus, but who knows? He did say they reserved it for special people or wraith. It's a mystery! Maybe we'll find out as the journey that is Stargate:Atlantis continues...

Comment

I am sure once or twice, anyone would be like "I don't care, I just want to live", but eventually... it would be just horrible. The pain of being feed upon repeatedly and then knowing you can only be restored if someone dies. That's no way to live.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan
                              I respectfully disagree with every point you make. I don't see how Weir could have handled the situation any better or more professionally (and I sometimes don't particularly care for her either), and the reason Sheppard felt sympathy was because this Wraith had been tortured by the same man who was presently torturing our beloved Colonel. Not to mention the Wraith was surprisingly civil in the cell, helped him escape, kept up his part of the deal, and GAVE HIM HIS LIFE BACK. How is that anything like "Misbegotten?"
                              While I won't get into the Weir stuff, I am not sure what you are talking about. Misbegotten was an extension of No Man's Land. Everything that happened in NML had a huge impact on Misbegotten. Michael was civil, helpful, and accomadating (for a wraith). He did not resist, in fact he was imprisoned. He helped Sheppard disable the hive, helped Sheppard, Mckay, and Ronon get off the hive, and was instrumental in saving everybody on the Daedalus (you know, including Sheppard). He honored his end of the deal. It was those from Atlantis who did not honor their part of the deal. I fail to see how these situations are not similar or can be seen in similar lights. It seems like there is no internal plot consistency.

Originally posted by ILoveMe
                              The Wraith in this ep doesn't know about Atlantis/Earth - galaxy full of humans - because he has been inprisioned for years, while Micheal on the other hand did. Even if his little wraithy buddies recognize the name "John Sheppard" or his description of the Atlantis team uniforms and they go to Atlantis to check it out...danger, danger... no, wait... cloaking devise. John and freinds would only be seen as "Survivors of Atlantis", since they wouldn't be able to see the city and it's reasonable for the Wraith assume if the city had been destroyed, some of the inhabitants would have gated off world first. Micheal on the other hand could squeal like a pig to let them know about the cloaking devise.
                              The wraith was present during all the conversations that Koyla had with Weir. He would know that there was an Atlantis. That's all he would need to know. And I'm sure that if the wraith ever discover that Atlantis is still actually in existence, the fact that the city is under cloak is not going to deter them. Why would it? If they know it's there, then they know it's there.
                              "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                                Pardon me, where is it stated the Queens have names?

Every Queen has been fannamed

Queen/Keeper Rising: Sally
                                Queen/The Hive: Sue
                                Queen/Allies/No Man's Land: Mina
                                I'm not talking about fan-made names, I don't even look at those, and we haven't heard any of the 2 Queen's names.

However, we do know they have a name, or at least their version of a name, because of something the WhiteHair Queen says in "The Hive":

"Of which queen do you speak?"

Now, unless she was expecting an "White-Hair-Yellow Boots" kind of answer, that's pretty much proof that they have some sort of name/identification

Comment

Working...
                                X