No announcement yet.

Progeny (305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy is Atlantis in for it now, what an outstanding episode this was. Definately a triumphant return of the replicators, not to mention their city was pretty darn cool. These new enemies are really going to add a welcome twist to the series.

10/10 from me!
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Beautiful episode. A bit confusing with the 'Replicators/Not Replicators' thing. But when Atlantis was destroyed, even though I knew it wasn't real, I still felt that tension.
      Great episode. As good as Sateda.
      O'Neill: They didn't go for it.
      Carter: They didn't approve the mission?
      O'Neill: Oh, no they did that. Once they knew the stakes and the whole fate of the universe stuff. Both the President and Hammond realized we had no choice. He sends good luck, godspeed, all those things he says when he thinks we're gonna die.
      Carter: So what didn't they go for?
      O'Neill: The name I suggested.
      Carter: For the ship?
      O'Neill: Yeah.
      Carter: Yeah. Sir, we can't call it the 'Enterprise'.
      O'Neill: Why Not?!
      -Unnatural Selection

Comment

I liked this ep.

It was nice to see Weir away from Atlantis.

Oberoth, CREEPY!! and he totally took Weir to the mattress.

The whole Atlantis blowing up thing was amazing. It really could happen that fast. Way to go Shep!!

OMG!! the star drive. INCREDIBLE!! SFX people I'm still kissing your feet.

I felt bad for Niam, but he freaked me out at the end floating in space. When will we get it that AI is never a good idea? Obviously the Asurans are shaping up to be the big bad as opposed to the Wraith.

Also, Atlantis ladies, ask Cauldwell to bring a hairdresser next time he goes home. Up, down, flat, curly...get it together.

"I will follow you to the ends of this world and into the next. I will not leave you."

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          Fans who don't watch SG1, or who have never seen Unnatural Selection, will call this a classic.
          Not necessarily. I haven't seen that SG1 ep, tho I've seen some other one with replicators. The only thing that impressed me about Progeny were the special effects. The ep reminded me of Misbegotten, actually--in the sense that the Atlantis team gets involved in a civilization, ends up at odds one way or another as they did with Michael, gains the trust of one person, then betrays the crap out of him. Granted, they got to the point in both eps where they basically had to mow everyone else down in order to survive themselves, but--jeez. And I kept wondering about those two poor girls who were with Liam, the ones who wanted to ascend too. What a downer of an ep. Makes me miss the days when fictional heroes had at least a little nobility in them.

I wouldn't call this a classic. I thought Sateda was better. And Aurora was definitely better.

Comment

Awesome CG ! Kudos ! Wow! The best ever. And I liked it when Jack and Sam attacked Anubis' mothership and he blew up Abydos... Sateda was great. But this was stupendous. Nice going ....
            Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Very good episode. i'm with a lot of people can't wait for The Return we get to see Jack O'Neill in that episode hopefully he will bring the ancient disruptor weapon with him. I like the whole sheppard staying on atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
                Very good episode. i'm with a lot of people can't wait for The Return we get to see Jack O'Neill in that episode hopefully he will bring the ancient disruptor weapon with him. I like the whole sheppard staying on atlantis.
                Its been a long time since I've seen some of those old replicator episodes on SG1, but I think it was mentioned somewhere that they had countered the effects of the disrupter gun and it wasn't effective anymore. With the SGA Reps even more advanced, it would probably be nothing more than a toy to them.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                  Its been a long time since I've seen some of those old replicator episodes on SG1, but I think it was mentioned somewhere that they had countered the effects of the disrupter gun and it wasn't effective anymore. With the SGA Reps even more advanced, it would probably be nothing more than a toy to them.
                  The replicators, more specifically the repli-carter, was able to gain access to the base code of the disruptor gun and thats how they were able to build in a silo to stop the disruptor gun. Without gaining access to that information they couldn't come up with a way to neutralize its effect. The dakara weapon was just a more powerful instrument along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by verbalkint
                    The replicators, more specifically the repli-carter, was able to gain access to the base code of the disruptor gun and thats how they were able to build in a silo to stop the disruptor gun. Without gaining access to that information they couldn't come up with a way to neutralize its effect. The dakara weapon was just a more powerful instrument along those lines.
                    Ahh, thank you! I knew someone would come up with the proper description.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I don't understand why the ancients didn't do a good job exterminating the asurans. Considering they were microscopic, you would have thought they'd use something like destroy the star in the solar system method to wipe everything out.

It's like trying to kill bacteria with big weapons (which these asurans were basically made from), there's a good chance that one or two will still be around - lol.

Comment

I have to say that I have been surprisingly happy with both SG-1 and SG Atlantis this season. Both have had some episodes that I didn't think they were capable of anymore. Last weeks ep was exactly what I had hoped for from Atlantis and the first half of this episode seemed like an actual step up from last week. The rest of this post is dedicated to just how disapointing the last half of this episode was.

Half way through the episode I was ready to give this show the first '10' of the year. I ended up giving it only a 9 because, as a stand alone episode it was very good, but for any fan of SG-1 there was an amazing sense of deja vu. The similarities to Unnatural Selection (a top 10 SG1 ep IMO) have already been discussed, so I wont point them out. It boggles my mind how this show could've been green lighted when the last two acts were Unnatural Selection with the names replaced. What's so bad is that the plot didn't have to go that way. McCay writing a sense of morality into the code was a great plan. We could not be sure that it would work but if it did Atlantis and the team would be saved and we would have gained a powerful allie. If it failed they still could freeze them and blow the ship. But once they blow the ship they are making these guys an enemy. The fact that Weir was all over this idea and that there was no discussion about it makes the team look amazingly stupid. The other thing about the freezing plan that was horrible was that it was counting on Naim (sp?) to betray all of his people - and not just by helping the team escape, but by KILLING ALL HIS PEOPLE. There is no way he would go through with that for just the off chance that the SG Atlantis team could actualy help teach him how to accend.

The other thing that bugged me a bit less was bring up the replicators. These aren't really replicators as we know, and they don't really fit into the preestablished canon of the replicators. The fact that these guys are the new bad guys is kind of lame, simply because it's as if the writers decided that Atlantis needs the replicators as a 'new' enemy even though we have already gone down this road before. This time we wont even be able to call them the replicators...

Comment

OK is it me or did the freeze trick with the replicators remind anyone of the borg in ST:TNG?

Aside from that it was well put together, lots of "ooohs" and "ahhhs" and a "crap they lost the chance to get 3 zpms in one go."

Comment

I have a question: Do you think the Ancients invented the Dakara weapon as a result as what had previously happened with the Asurans, or as a result of what Reese created. I still think Reese was created by an Asuran or an Ancient trying to continue the experiment, but I'm curious as to the original intent of the weapon now that canon has been altered a bit.
                            sigpic

Comment

do you think the anicents might have placed a second weapon like the one they found on dakara in the pegasus galaxy?

Comment

Good episode, but as others have pointed out Weir was very brash in her initial dealings with the Asurans, and I found that part of the story itself seemed rushed.

Also, am I alone in wondering whether the history Liam showed to Weir is the whole story? It made the Ancients, who TPTB have consistently shown as semi-benevolent, TOO evil. It was just too one-sided. I wonder if the Asuran side of the tale has been edited down over the centuries to one that portrays them only in the best light to themselves.

I also thought this episode set up an interesting parallel with SG1 storylines with the Ancients/Ori. In that case, we also know little or nothing about why the Ancients split off, and most of what we know is coming from the Ori. The Ancients aren't popping down from their ascended plane and saying "Hey, no, this is the way this really went down." In both cases, they have intentionally kept humans from knowing about these big enemies (by shielding the Milky Way from the Ori, by erasing all evidence of the Asurans from the Atlantis database). My question is why did they do this?

Comment

Working...
                                X