No Man's Land (301)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GREAT EPSIODE!

With action from the start till almost the end!

I loved...
    -The battle in the void!
    -The Star Wars style F302 trick that John did - Then he referanced that he "saw it in a film"
    - "Like a walk in the park... a very scary park full of monsters trying to kill me"
    -The 1rst Hive getting hit by the arm of missiles
    - Drones zipping in and out of the Darts
    -The shot under the Dead follwoing its movement reaveling the Hive and the galaxy Behind (Also can be seen on UK DVD main menu)

The one bad thing is how the action disappeared towards the end of the episode, after such a strong start.
    sigpic
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Having just watched this episode on DVD, I wanted to say I really loved this episode. It was certainly full of loads of action, excitement and characterisation which I've come to expect from Stargate.

I'm always a fan of space battles, so I loved the ones in this episode. Like probably other people, I was sad to see the Orion destroyed, especially since it had been seriously under-used (I had expected it to play a pivotal role both in this episode and the last episode of the previous season. In both cases, I was wrong). It got me very excited when the Daedalus took a pounding too. Having somehow managed to avoid all spoilers about this season (apart from the Beckett one!), I did start to wonder whether they'd lose the Daedalus or at least Caldwell in this episode. Especially when it looked as though they were going to abandon the Daedalus and evacuate to the Wraith Hive ship. Having watched most of the next episode now, I'm glad I was wrong as I like both Daedalus and Caldwell.

Other highlights from the episode included the Guest Cast list, which seemed to be made up of loads of familiar names from not just both "Stargate SG-1" and "Atlantis", but Star Trek as well. While I'm always pleased to see Connor Trineer making an appearance, I am especially pleased that the writers have decided to flesh out the character of Richard Woolsey and therefore have Robert Picardo appear in numerous episodes of both SG-1 and Atlantis this year (yeah, I know these episodes were made last year, but since I only get to see the episodes on DVD here in the UK, I'm only now getting to see them!). Also, it never hurts to see good ol' Walter at the SGC. LOL!

Speaking of which, I was surprised to see the amount of time this episode spent at the SGC. While I obviously understand the reason for it in the story, it did mean I had to keep reminding myself which show I'm watching. Still, I thought it was kinda funny in the scene when Weir's having a video conversation with Landry who then tells Weir that she's needed immediately. The poor woman just takes off her headset, hands command to Teyla and walks through the gate to the SGC. I expected her to say, "Can't I even get my jacket first?" It kinda reminded me of the scene from "Airplane II" when one of the moon-base crewmembers is having a video conversation with William Shatner, telling him he's needed right away and he just steps through from the next room. LOL!

Having said all that about seeing certain characters more, I must say that I thought Rachel Luttrell as Teyla was severely underused. Couldn't the writers have come-up with some way of including her in the bulk of the story instead of just leaving her in charge of Atlantis so we don't see her for most the episode?

Anyway, overall a strong episode and a great way to start the season.
      sigpic

Comment

Great episode, and excellent season opener. Liked it better than Rising, though I think Seige III is still just ahead as the best season opener.

At the beginning I was just shocked seeing the credits coming along and the massive size of the guest cast!

I loved all of the Mckay/Ronin interaction in the hive, which, by the way, is a lot creepier than hives of the past- did they re-do the sets? I loved the flashback to Mckay and Zelenka talking their tech-talk and Sheppard staring at the girl not listening- that'll teach him! Loved Michael- great character- it's easy to forget that it's Connor Trinner under all that make-up! Though I am surprised that he wasn't surrounded by more gaurds on The Deadalus (or maybe I just didn't notice them).

Weir once again proved why she is my favourite female character in the SG universe- I loved all her scenes with Woolsey and Landrey (always love Beau Bridges), dealing with the IOA, and especially the scene where Landrey quotes Churchill. Very nice moment. And further proved why Landrey is my favourite General!

Loved to see Lorne in command of the Orion- he and Zelenka make a good team. I want to see lots more Lorne this season. Caldwell, is of course excellent as always.

Overall, great team ep, except I missed Beckett! Did he ever appear for more than a scene?

And now they've got a Hive ship! Can't wait to watch Misbegotten!

Comment

In the DVD commentary for the episode, it's stated that they did indeed build a new Hive set. I think they said something about the old one looking too plain or something and it didn't have a proper floor. This one's more organic, with a proper floor and is more scary. At least I think that's what they said. LOL!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John W View Post
            In the DVD commentary for the episode, it's stated that they did indeed build a new Hive set. I think they said something about the old one looking too plain or something and it didn't have a proper floor. This one's more organic, with a proper floor and is more scary. At least I think that's what they said. LOL!
            Thanks! I loved those cocoons that Ronon and Rodney were in, they actually looked disgusting and uncomfortable. Really like this new look, it's darker, creepier, the old one was too plain. Love the organicness of it, it actually feels like something a race descended from bugs would have built.

Comment

Just watched this episode on DVD. All I can say is Atlantis is just an amazing show. This season really was great.
              sigpic

Comment

Intresting episode.

Just out of curiosity, whats up with keeping an open wormhole between galxies for Live chatter? Got to much spair energy on there hands suddenly?
                We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

Originally posted by EarthandBeyond View Post
                  Intresting episode.

Just out of curiosity, whats up with keeping an open wormhole between galxies for Live chatter? Got to much spair energy on there hands suddenly?
                  It's to talk through the gate via radio. It's the only way to chat considering how far apart the Milky Way and Pegasus Dwarf galaxies are.

Comment

This is possibly my favourite episode so far!
                    Loved the CG of the space battles, but not just the effects, the plot was very well written too. A nuke strike that worked! Railgunning the dart bay! A damaged, dead-in-the-water hive and Daedalus drifting side by side, then having to board the hive because it has the only air within light years. Very cool.

A fully functioning Aurora would dominate the battlefield. It destroyed one hive with ease, and would've destroyed the other one if it was working properly. It's hard to imagine how the ancients managed to lose the war! (yeah I know, greater numbers and all that...)

Too bad they had to kill the queen, the best female wraith so far!

Weir sending Caldwell on what was probably a suicide mission, though neither of them wanted to say it. Very powerful scene, when Caldwell says "you realise what you're asking me to do!"

Loved the way Weir dealt with the IOA. Later saying "They dont want to make a decision because then they'd have to take responsibility!"

Excellent episode!

Comment

anybody notice who plays that wraith that turns Sheppard over to Michael? hint C.H. keep watching the series.

Comment

This was one of the first times we see an Anicent warship in action and I've just got to love it for that alone.
                        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
                          This was one of the first times we see an Anicent warship in action and I've just got to love it for that alone.
                          Exactly!
                          sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Did any one notice the Picture of George W Bush in Weir's room?
                            Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                              nope, where about's is it?

this episode just owns

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                                No i didn't. Thats funny. Wier the Republican. Oh and great episode. Ronan and Rodney were funny. Great to see Woolsey too.
                                8/10
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X