Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate BSG, so we're not gonna agree here.

And the last time a SFX shot has made me wow? Return Part 2; before that, Return Part 1.

Speaking of opinions, you're right, everyone has one, and usually it's all different. TPTB will not get anything helpful out of here.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
      In the vain hope that some SGA employee can see what we mean, interpret it and in some small way modify the show slightly. Sci-Fi is about wonder, possibilities, freak outs and what ifs.....BSG is an excellent lampoon of human nature and political times.....but SG1 and SGA are not that, so, lets include some *omgz* in the storyline and visuals...(who can forget the BSG ship rocketing into the atmosphere in Ep4?) Can anyone remember a moment in SGA history where you went WOW over the visuals??

You know what they say about opinions, they're like a**holes, everyone's got one. LOL
      Actually I went "wow" when you saw the city in the Return part 1 fully lighted. It was the shot I had been waiting for for a good while and it looked great.
      Weir: He's just a boy!
      Jinto: I am Jinto.
      Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

there have revealed alot of things that were found in the database, just watch the seige.

weir starts naming a few tihngs that are in the database and dont know how to choose which to keep or not.

then she mentions that the stuff she is listing is only the stuff they have currently decoded.

also, if they linked all thier hard drives together using really advanced compression, they can get a maximum of 10% of the data base if they are lucky.

that does indicatate theres alot of inofrmation stored on there, i dont know how many hard drives they had, but i would say they hard a large capacity. Maybe in except of 100TB, and no matter how good you are, that much data is take a hell of a long time to just read, let alone to decode it.

and its not like you can pick and choose what you want to download it, they'll most likly systamically go through it

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          Uh...no, it doesn't work that. If you don't know what the Ancients call specific terms like "cancer" or "ZPM", how can you ever find those things in the database?

We're talking about words that are not in common use, ie. those not written on tablets or monuments from which we can translate stuff off of.

Also, didn't we find that Lagrangian satellite from the database or something?

EDIT: Ok, so they didn't actually say that they found the satellite from the database, but why not, right?
          It's either someone else came across it on an away mission or it was the scientists guy who got it via the Atlantis DB. I think it was through the DB because Shep said he was the one responsible for finding it. Then when they came upon it, they were all shocked & he says something like "My God" or something like that. Hence, if he had seen it before, then he wouldn't have been shocked, nor talking about it's size. So obviously since he discovered it, then it wasn't by eyeballing it that they found it.

It isn't actually as hard as people are thinking. Not only do they have direct access to the DB, so can get a 1st hand interface to look for things, unlike that of trying to get crap out of one of the Headsuckers. In 'Arthur's Mantle', DJ has direct access to Merlins machine. He isn't a techy, nor could Carter read the Ancient language on the panels or displays. Yet DJ came in & could tell it was a weapon etc. Then in 'Camelot', Kvasir tells about how they could summarise what the weapon was like & what it'd do.

From Progeny:

McKAY (backing away from the window but barely able to look away from the view): Well, the ... the power requirements for a city this size must be enormous. Well, plus shielding from the Wraith – we're talking, what, three Zero Point Modules, maybe four?

(Niam looks at him, not understanding what he's saying.)

McKAY: Uh, sorry. ZedPMs ... a device that taps vast amounts of power from vacuum energy.

NIAM: Oh, yes. We have many of those.

SHEPPARD: Exactly how many is many?

McKAY: "Exactly" doesn't matter. "Many" is plenty.

NIAM: Truthfully, I do not know the exact number. More than enough to suit our needs.

McKAY (hopefully): I assume that you, um, built them yourselves?

NIAM: Yes.
          Niam knew exactly what it was after McKay said about Vacuum Energy.

Hence, it doesn't appear to be that hard. DJ from looking at a screen, could access & understand it. Other than the tech part, which only Carter would have had the capacity to understand. Then Progeny Niam knew what the ZPM was when McKay described it to him. In 'Before I Sleep' Janis/Janus also knew exactly what it was when talking to the alternate Weir.

I understand that they cannot simply allow them to type in ZPM then they magically know how to create them. Obviously that would pretty much ruin the show. Of course, it could make the plots more interesting in that it takes years to tap enough energy to make a single ZPM. This explains why Atlantis doesn't have any spare & Janus/Janis only gave a list with 5 that he knew of because all the rest were used up etc. So even though they know how to create them, they wouldn't have many because the show won't last another few years.

What they could even do was put all the real uber stuff, such as ZPM's, Drones, Sheild information etc in an encrypted vault of sorts. Either that or have the Lanteans remove it from Atlantis before they left incase the Wraith ever got control of the city. They could learn that it was moved to an underground base that it now home to the Wraith civilzation. Who unknowingly built their new home on top of it. That means a couple dozen Hives, 100+ Cruisers etc. So no way they could ever get through that to get to it.

I think it was JM & not MG that were asked in their old thread about Atlantis & discoveries. This was before or right at the beginning of S2. The answer was look out for some cool stuff happening in the city now that they had a ZPM. The same with another question regarding Drones. He said look out for an ep that deals with Drones in the 2nd half of the season. That turned out to be 'The Tower' which actually revealed or showed zilch about Drones.

It seems the only time we even get to see the old Atlantis, never mind new discoveries relating to the city is when it's been taken over or enemies are running around loose in it.

As much as I don't like BSG. I did watch 3 eps last year & 1 this year. The storylines in BSG are 'smarter' compared to Stargate. That's the thing that gets me about it being a huge SG fan. The writers simply bring something in, then kill it off or destroy it in the very same ep almost all the time.

So having read spoilers for the remainder of S3. I don't really think there is anything that's gonna perhaps make our dreams come true other than 'Tao of Rodney'. Which may give them something inside the city. 'The Game' seems like human controlled chess & looks like it will be mostly about the primitive races themselves & not actually on the tech behind it all.

Comment

Originally posted by n3ksus View Post
            What main database discovery has been found? No "How To's" just "An old research outpost".

I might be wrong. but 3 seasons of nothing except wraith encounters and a bad ancient discovery, kinda makes you think, Why go to atlantis and not make the discoveries they always say they want to make.
            They've made many small discoveries...the database is so huge it'll take years to find anything 'big'

Season 1
            - Hide and Seek: Discovery that the ancients did not ascend naturally, but studied energy creatures living on a different existential plane
            - The Storm: successfully used the database to find out the weather forecast
            - Hot Zone: They discovered what the virus is by tapping into the database
            - Before I sleep: plenty of discoveries with the covert help of one of the ancients

Season 2
            - Trinity: Arcturus is an Ancient project. They found out about it in the Ancient Database
            - Aurora: The introduction of the ZPM to the city reveals the location of the ship

Season 3
            Spoiler:
            - The return: real live ancients!!!!
            - Tao of Rodney: McKay nearly ascends in this ep, so we may find out some more stuff about the ancients
            - The Game: the team discover a Lantean social experiment
            - Submersion: the team apparently encounter some ancients

So while there has been no one major discovery, we have discovered a lot about the ancients through Atlantis's database, and through encounters with the Ancients themselves
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

After 3 years, there should have been some sort of discovery. You cant tell me there wasnt at least 1 research crew working none stop trying to find new and exciting tech in atlantis. especially after they had gotten a ZPM.

even if it's a new toilet. something. I mean how do they go to the bathroom? how do they recycle water or get water? do they get it from the ocean? how do they purify it? how is it kept so clean? are there cleaning robots? lol. something!!!

Say hello to my little friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                I hate BSG, so we're not gonna agree here.

And the last time a SFX shot has made me wow? Return Part 2; before that, Return Part 1.

Speaking of opinions, you're right, everyone has one, and usually it's all different. TPTB will not get anything helpful out of here.
                Let me guess, in every SGA ep you go wOw? I'm happy that you're so easily pleased, i wish it were that easy for the rest of us.

I'm trying to figure out if you're a blind angry man or if i'm just reading your reply wrong, maybe you can help me here? Sounds like you're having a crack at me....

I enjoy StarGate, but i don't live it. It doesn't mean my humble opinion is worth any less, mmm..maybe its worth more due to its objectivity....

Comment

I have no idea what you're getting at here (and the picture doesn't help). I'm not trying to have a "crack at you", I'm merely stating my opinion. And it's pretty much fact that everyone has different opinions. I merely meant that if TPTB were to look at the board, there will be so many people going "I want this!" "No, you're wrong, this is better!" etc, that TPTB wouldn't get anything useful from the fans.

And my opinion is that SGA has some pretty spectacular SFX. You disagree, that's fine, but it doesn't make any of us right. And no, none of our opinions mean more than any other's; thinking otherwise can lead to very dark places.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                    They've made many small discoveries...the database is so huge it'll take years to find anything 'big'

Season 1
                    - Hide and Seek: Discovery that the ancients did not ascend naturally, but studied energy creatures living on a different existential plane
                    - The Storm: successfully used the database to find out the weather forecast
                    - Hot Zone: They discovered what the virus is by tapping into the database
                    - Before I sleep: plenty of discoveries with the covert help of one of the ancients

Season 2
                    - Trinity: Arcturus is an Ancient project. They found out about it in the Ancient Database
                    - Aurora: The introduction of the ZPM to the city reveals the location of the ship

Season 3
                    Spoiler:
                    - The return: real live ancients!!!!
                    - Tao of Rodney: McKay nearly ascends in this ep, so we may find out some more stuff about the ancients
                    - The Game: the team discover a Lantean social experiment
                    - Submersion: the team apparently encounter some ancients

So while there has been no one major discovery, we have discovered a lot about the ancients through Atlantis's database, and through encounters with the Ancients themselves

Hide and seek: They found and experiment about it and looked into it. Oh no they can look up any other experiments like that unless they need to -_-'

The storm: just like the other, Found out about it on the DB as soon as they needed to.

Matter of fact most of them are exactly the same, Except for epp 12+ in season 3.

So if they can look up stuff instantly about stuff they need to kow then why does that stop them from looking up other Items in the database.
                    http://splitreason.org

Comment

Good question; in reality, we have no idea how the database actually works.

For all we know, when our sensors detected the storm, entries from the database are displayed relating to it.

The being in Hide and Seek was pretty dangerous, and dangerous things tend to be easier to find since they're one of those "need-to-know" things, so it was probably easy to find.
                      Last edited by PG15; 27 November 2006, 02:17 PM.

Comment

From what we've seen in the past, the system seems to make important information more accessable when the time comes. It's sort of like a dumb mans google. Rather than having to go out searching, it just gives you what you think you need.

Like PG15 said about the Storm. The system would have no need to tell us about the storm until it detected it, so when it was discovered, the system knew what to make available to us. This seems to have happened quite a few times during the show from what I can remember. I think Hot Zone was another major instance of that when they were able to learn about lockdown protocols when the city initiated them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by n3ksus View Post
                          but the database aint a wall with some turn table kinda things. So you don't need to read anything upside down, or turn the turn table or anything. It should be easier then the writers are actually making it out to be.

The Database isn't a wall, it is a Series of Tubes!

(ehehehe sorry, little joke there)

Comment

Working...
                          X