This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rushed...too Rushed (Spoilers)

Can you say campy....Godzilla campy!.......If I didn't love Stargate so much, I would stop watching. Both Return 1 & 2 were too rushed......too many plot holes......not enough character development......WHAT ABOUT THE ANCIENTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Anyone feel the same?
    Last edited by ZPM_Plant; 22 November 2006, 06:17 PM.
    Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

I don't agree. I loved it, felt it had just the right pace, and didn't notice many plotholes, if any.

You want to list some?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      I don't agree. I loved it, felt it had just the right pace, and didn't notice many plotholes, if any.

You want to list some?
      Yes. For example...
      Spoiler:
      Though hitting them all at once was ingenius, the way they did it was implausible. If the replicators were smart enough to differentiate the C4 from the other emitter gadgets, why would they conveniently miss the misplaced RED CRYSTALS in the emitter arrays?
      Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

Comment

The only plothole that I could find was how did they get out of the underwater jumper-bay? O'Neill drained the water, but I didn't see him unlock the bay door. McKay told Sheppard that they couldn't get out from inside the bay.

Comment

In addition, my main point was not just plot holes, but also the CAMPY feel.
          Spoiler:
          Trying to create scene tension through exploding gate rooms and underwater caverns.
          Also, doesn't anyone feel like the mystic of Atlantis has been lost?
          Spoiler:
          What was untouched is now rebuilt replicator technology...i.e. in the gateroom....what was last touched by ancients is now retread.....and come on....the ancients built the stargates for crying out loud....we seem like the geniuses in The Return 2 not them
          I yearn for the mystic of the Ancients and Atlantis to return.....aahh the days of "Before I Sleep" but I digress....

Comment

Originally posted by ZPM_Plant View Post
            Yes. For example...
            Spoiler:
            Though hitting them all at once was ingenius, the way they did it was implausible. If the replicators were smart enough to differentiate the C4 from the other emitter gadgets, why would they conveniently miss the misplaced RED CRYSTALS in the emitter arrays?
            That's a good point, however, I think it's much easier to recognize the difference between a block of sand-colored explosives and Ancient tech than from 2 similar crystals of different colors. Besides, are you sure that the Asurans would know that the blue crystal is not supposed to be there?

When you're, say, looking for a lost sock in your room, would you right away realize that one of your books on your book shelves is missing? I wouldn't.

Also, they're machines, so most likely follow orders much more stringently. If the Asurans were told to get rid of the C4, they'll do that and...that's it. That's my interpretation anyway.

Originally posted by TheUnknown View Post
            The only plothole that I could find was how did they get out of the underwater jumper-bay? O'Neill drained the water, but I didn't see him unlock the bay door. McKay told Sheppard that they couldn't get out from inside the bay.
            They as in humans, or they as in the Jumper? Obviously the only way for the Jumpers to get in and out of the bay would be through the bay doors, but could there be smaller doors for people leading out of the bay?

I just rewatched the scene (don't ask me how), and they said nothing about how they themselves would exit the bay. They only said the the control room was locked, but nothing else.

EDIT:

In addition, my main point was not just plot holes, but also the CAMPY feel.
            Spoiler:
            Trying to create scene tension through exploding gate rooms and underwater caverns.
            I loved those parts! Ah well, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Also, doesn't anyone feel like the mystic of Atlantis has been lost?
            Spoiler:
            What was untouched is now rebuilt replicator technology...i.e. in the gateroom....what was last touched by ancients is now retread.....and come on....the ancients built the stargates for crying out loud....we seem like the geniuses in The Return 2 not them
            Doesn't bother me. Sometimes things needs to be sacrificed for the greater good.

Also...why are we talking about the Ancients? We were dealing with Asurans throughout the episode.

If you're talking about how the Ancients all died by the hands of the Asurans, well, same reason as to why they lost the war with the Wraith (besides numbers), they were too cocky and and too inexperienced with war.

Comment

Can you say campy....Godzilla campy!.......If I didn't love Stargate so much, I would stop watching. Both Return 1 & 2 were too rushed......too many plot holes......not enough character development......WHAT ABOUT THE ANCIENTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Anyone feel the same?
              The ancients were conveninently
              Spoiler:
              killed during the hiatus. Probably died of boredom waiting But...there's a lot left unanswered.

Jack was pissed off at the team for the unauthorized rescue (as if HE is one to talk). Will there be any repercussions?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                They as in humans, or they as in the Jumper? Obviously the only way for the Jumpers to get in and out of the bay would be through the bay doors, but could there be smaller doors for people leading out of the bay?

I just rewatched the scene (don't ask me how), and they said nothing about how they themselves would exit the bay. They only said the the control room was locked, but nothing else.
                You may be right. I assumed that the control room contained the exit to the bay. Anyways, if things got too bad in the jumper, Sheppard could have just swam to the door and opened it (though it would flood the next room).

However, IIRC the jumper still had shields, so why didn't they just extend the shield to the bay's exit then, like the way they rescued McKay in "Grace Under Pressure"?

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  killed during the hiatus. Probably died of boredom waiting But...there's a lot left unanswered.

Jack was pissed off at the team for the unauthorized rescue (as if HE is one to talk). Will there be any repercussions?
                  Thanks prion, but that is not exactly what I was driving at. I meant more that the Mystic of the Ancients is fading.
                  Spoiler:
                  Tria was intractable....the Ancients are dumb and slow to react.....And there was no character development in The Return 1....let alone 2...at least not for the Ancients..Nonetheless.....having a fully powered city is promising.....
                  I just want the pace to slow down a bit....give us time to get to know the characters......you have to admit a lot of ground was covered in both The Return 1 & 2....

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure the answer is...no.

Originally posted by TheUnknown View Post
                    You may be right. I assumed that the control room contained the exit to the bay. Anyways, if things got too bad in the jumper, Sheppard could have just swam to the door and opened it (though it would flood the next room).

However, IIRC the jumper still had shields, so why didn't they just extend the shield to the bay's exit then, like the way they rescued McKay in "Grace Under Pressure"?
                    Shep said that they took some damage...so...maybe the shield's dead.

Spoiler:
                    Tria was intractable....the Ancients are dumb and slow to react.....And there was no character development in The Return 1....let alone 2...at least not for the Ancients..Nonetheless.....having a fully powered city is promising.....
                    I just want the pace to slow down a bit....give us time to get to know the characters......you have to admit a lot of ground was covered in both The Return 1 & 2....
                    I'll admit that, definately. However, I saw a great many character stuff (maybe not development per se) in Part 1 with the dinner and the phone calls and stuff, not to mention the goodbyes before leaving Atlantis.

Comment

Just a thought, but the Asurans rebuild the gate room, i'm guessing out of replicator blocks, what else could they use to build it so fast, so why doesn't the new gateroom return to the blocks (like the replicators and their weapns do) when the anti replicator is activatied... A weapon which shouldn't have worked as well i should add...

Comment

Originally posted by oflyboy View Post
                        Just a thought, but the Asurans rebuild the gate room, i'm guessing out of replicator blocks, what else could they use to build it so fast, so why doesn't the new gateroom return to the blocks (like the replicators and their weapns do) when the anti replicator is activatied... A weapon which shouldn't have worked as well i should add...
                        Thats because they used parts of their ship to rebuild the control room.

Comment

But their ship was surely built out of replicator blocks.. When tehy said they had to use the ship to rebuild the control room, i figured that they meant they had to use the blocks.. unless the ship happened to be built just like the gateroom...

Comment

Just a thought, but the Asurans rebuild the gate room, i'm guessing out of replicator blocks,
                            Very doubtful, I'm not sure if I could even think of a reason for them to do that, they probably don'y even know how to make them, as far as we know the SG-1 replicators and the Asurans aren't even related...

Comment

But their ship was surely built out of replicator blocks.. When tehy said they had to use the ship to rebuild the control room, i figured that they meant they had to use the blocks.. unless the ship happened to be built just like the gateroom...
                              The Asurans even said they used their ship as material to rebuild the control room.

Comment

Working...
                              X