This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarthNick
    I agree with every stated above, but one thing bothers me, people say the best defense is offence. So why didn't the Atlanteans attack the Wraith where it would hurt most? Their homework, shipyars etc. Those hive ships don't build them self, and Wraith don't grow on trees (i can only presume). Take out their production capabilty and use the remainder of your own fleet to take out individual Wraith ships until the wraith don't have the numbers to attack you.

After that you can said a negotiation party so settle terms

This is all speculation, perhaps the Atlanteans tried this but failed. For that to have happened i fear the Wraith must have 1000+ hive ships. Even more then the Galactic Empire from SW. If that is so, we don't stand a chance in hell to beat them..
    While its true that sometimes the best defense is an offense, it might not be how the Ancients thought. They had weapons capable of killing people but they lacked..the stomach for war. Its possible that they used their technology to frighten off enemies rather then kill them. Sadly, this does not work that well against dedicated warrior people who throw themselves on the enemies guns so that their brethren can breach the defences. Speculation mind you but its possible their mindset was different then us.

Or its entirely possible that the nomadic nature of the Wraith prevented such a tactic. I mean the Hiveships are huge and those fixed bases they needed were hidden well. So far we have not seen them have a need for mining facilities like the Goa'uld used to have. The only thing they seem to harvest are humans to be used as 'food'.

Hopefully more will be learnt in the next season.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

The ancients are like the asgard in the way that they are horrible tactical thinkers.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by andrelage
        its aurora class warships
        You sure about that?

From what I can telll, the class name hasn't been decided yet. right?

From what we've seen in SG-1 and SGA, the first ship in a class provides the name for that class. eg. the Odyssey is the second Daedalus class ship, however, "aurora-class" might be the HUMAN term for that line of vessel because the Aurora was the first Ancinet warship encountered SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevos
          Atlantis is a city, i would assume the ancients also had dedicated military bases like we have.

As for what would the point be other than just to see it, what is the point of watching atlantis other than entertainment.
          Atlantis is also a starship. She has a stardrive along with an intergalactic hyperdrive. Second, why would the Ancients need military bases? They are a peacefull people, and they had not encountered any enemies in the Pegasus Galaxy untill they found the Wraith. They seeded Pegasus with humanoid life and watched over them. They would not need military bases to watch over human life. Would they?
          The only reason the Ancients armed their starships was to give them some form of self defense.

And the only reason the Ancients went to war with the Wraith was because they wrere protecting the races they created from a monster they had awakened.

Plus, when you assume you make an a$$ out of u and me!

Comment

Originally posted by siXbrownSnakes2
            We don't 'arm' our major cities with Anti-Aircraft missiles and SAM sites, mainly because they aren't needed.. You don't see military bases scattered through out NYC, do you?

The ancients probably felt the same way, and when the war with the wraith came, they built ships like the Aurora and the Orion along with the satellites, but it wouldn't really make a difference, no matter what they built the Wraith were too many.

My money is on the drone weapon being atlantis' only defensive system along with the shield. The satellites and warships are your extra defenses.
            our major cities aren't expected to traverse galaxies and land on planets and operate independantly for hundreds of years right?

The reason our major cities do not have weapons systems is because we have a military to protect those cities. One reason that the Ancients armed their city-ships is because it wouldnt be practical to drag a military along with each ship. That would cost the Ancients a lot in resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevos
              Wouldn't it be great to see an ancient battle group, even if it was only a video on atlantis' database.

I would say that the o'ryan (or what ever it was called) class ships are probably destroyers.

So I would expect 4 destroyers, 2 crusiers, and a carrier in the typical battle group.

Wouldn't be great if the carrier could carry say 50+ puddle jumpers (like the hive ships).

I think the crusiers should have beam weapons like the satelite, to take on the hive ships.

The destroyers would have dones to take out the darts, and provide defensive fire for the group.

Who needs fighters when you have an intelligent, super-accurate, super speed, super powerfull weapon that can work with other of these weapons to systematiclly take out large targets?

The Puddle Jumpers act as small scout ships, shuttles, and cargo ships, that can also be used a fire-support platform if absolutely necessary.

Fighters exist because us humans need a small, agile weapons platform that can deliver surgical strikes and form a defensive screen for a larger ship. Ancient drones can do all of that without costing any AR (Ancient resources instead of HR) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GateR_mk
                You sure about that?

From what I can telll, the class name hasn't been decided yet. right?

From what we've seen in SG-1 and SGA, the first ship in a class provides the name for that class. eg. the Odyssey is the second Daedalus class ship, however, "aurora-class" might be the HUMAN term for that line of vessel because the Aurora was the first Ancinet warship encountered SGA.
                Aurora is the ship class!

It was simply the humans that named the second one Orion, although it was originally named after an Ancient General, something like Hipperferalcus or something similar to that.

Comment

Working...
                X