Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a show that is about Atlantis... there hasn't been much Atlantis so far this season... Looking back at Season 1, I think that some of the best episodes have been about the city or have come from exploring the city itself. The potential there has largely been untapped in Season 2 so far.

I'm all for Atlantis to have a bit of fun and the occasional *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* but as Toaster and Shadow has said, I would like to see some continuity in plotlines. I suspect that if continuity becomes the norm... all other areas such as character development and interaction will more or less take care of itself. I don't necessarily think that Atlantis should go the way of BSG and suppress its sly sense of humour entirely but there could be a lot more exploration of characters' inner life without being overt about it. I don't like [insert character name here]-centric episodes... episodes devoted to just one character but is never revisited again. There must be some way for them to integrate characterization and overall without one limiting the other.

As much as I love Rodney McKay... I think he's had more than fair share of the spotlight (although it is just like the character to hog it )... Yes, I know the writers love writing Rodney but there are a dozen or more main/recurring characters that could do with more illuminating. No names mentioned, of course...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

unfortunately, no matter what we want .... nobody cares, there is an interview in which Cooper can't make it clearer:

Q: Do the fans' opinions and ideas ever influence your plots, storylines, or character development? And, if so, in what way, instance, or episode(s)?

Cooper: Basically, I'm sorry to say, no. We make the show we want to watch.

One day he'll be the only one to watch "his" shows... but at least, he'll like them!
      *~'.:GTA 199:.'~*
      Je me souviens

Comment

Originally posted by dark_faith
        unfortunately, no matter what we want .... nobody cares, there is an interview in which Cooper can't make it clearer:

Q: Do the fans' opinions and ideas ever influence your plots, storylines, or character development? And, if so, in what way, instance, or episode(s)?

Cooper: Basically, I'm sorry to say, no. We make the show we want to watch.

One day he'll be the only one to watch "his" shows... but at least, he'll like them!
        Honestly, I prefer that TPTB aren't overly swayed by fan influence. Can you imagine the hysteria that would break out if fans knew that their wants were likely going to end up on the show?

I think fans can have a minor influence on the show - for example if there's a great response to a secondary character I think TPTB may make more of an effort to bring them back in another episode - but overall I want TPTB to write stargate in their image without outside input. TV shows are much more solid that way.

Comment

By the time the eps air, it's far too late for TPTB to do anything, anyway. If fans react in an extremely negative way to some element that's going to be built up over the rest of the season... oh well. *shrug* They can't exactly go back and change it, can they?

I, too, prefer a show where fans have a negligible or non-existent influence. That would be a Pandora's box of disasters, opening the floodgates to every lunatic in fandom. If you think entitlement is bad, now, it'd be WORSE if fans thought they controlled the show. Or, rather, it'd be worse if MORE fans felt they controlled the show.

Comment

I agree with you as far as we don't want the fans to write the show... god helps. But when we ask for more continuity or for some character developement, which is the least you can do in tv show, they should do something, try to improve the show because, they want it or not, the audience is the only reason why they are still here.
            *~'.:GTA 199:.'~*
            Je me souviens

Comment

Ah, but the lower they set their goals, the more they'll draw in an audience that dosn't give a damn. They pander to the lowest common denominator and they get it. The show will have fans no matter how awful it gets. Quantity matters more than quality in oh so many ways. At least as far as TPTB are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                This is my opinion (so don't give me red), They should get rid of JasonM (but keep his sweet ass gun) and make RSF a cast member again.
                I really like Ronan. Sadly I don't know how they could bring back Ford as a regular but I do believe if they want to bring him back as a regular it could make an interesting arc.

No red from me. You DO have the right to your opinion.
                "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                Individuality is freedom lived.
                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                  Honestly, I prefer that TPTB aren't overly swayed by fan influence. Can you imagine the hysteria that would break out if fans knew that their wants were likely going to end up on the show?

I think fans can have a minor influence on the show - for example if there's a great response to a secondary character I think TPTB may make more of an effort to bring them back in another episode - but overall I want TPTB to write stargate in their image without outside input. TV shows are much more solid that way.
                  I agree with keeping down the fan influence. I do think TPTB should listen to the actors because I do think that sometimes they have a better prospective of their characters sometimes because they are the ones who do a great deal of the fleshing of the characters.
                  "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                  'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                  Individuality is freedom lived.
                  'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by dark_faith
                    I agree with you as far as we don't want the fans to write the show... god helps. But when we ask for more continuity or for some character developement, which is the least you can do in tv show, they should do something, try to improve the show because, they want it or not, the audience is the only reason why they are still here.
                    That's true, but keep in mind that the internet fanbase is a very small percentage of the overall viewing numbers, and the fans that post comments to Joe represent an even smaller percentage. I'm sure TPTB remember that whenever considering requests from internet fans.

Originally posted by Atlantis1
                    I agree with keeping down the fan influence. I do think TPTB should listen to the actors because I do think that sometimes they have a better prospective of their characters sometimes because they are the ones who do a great deal of the fleshing of the characters.
                    That's probably a good idea - I would imagine that actors have a hard time with their characters if they aren't written mostly to their liking. Disgruntled actors have a way of making their attitude known through their acting...

Comment

Ah, my hopes for season 3...

1) More character development/backstory for Sheppard. Hey, he's the lead, and we know practically zip on the guy. Not asking for a soap opera backstory but maybe a hint about his past military history, or geez, does even have any family left alive? Even tossing in a throwaway line helps develop the character.

2) Keep Lorne and Zelenka alive. Idon't trust the writers. After all, they killed off Daniel and Janet in SG1. Good recurring characters are hard to find.

3) Let's get out and explore Atlantis! The city is huge; McKay said it was like Manhattan. They could new technology, new evil viruses, something!

4) I'd like to see Teyla and Weir actually work together. Teyla was after all, the leader of her people, and just becuase they're on the mainland and she's there, and let's bring in some Athosians. They're locals. The expedition team are new to that Galaxy. They could be guides on some off-world missions or something.

5) Less SGC interaction. I want SGA to be a stand-alone show, not to be bolstered by SG1 or to innundated with guest spots from SG1 characters.

6) No Gou'ald. No Orri. Let's just work on the wraith, or evil worse villains.

7) Like to see Ford come back for a guest shot or two, but as an even more darkside Ford who could cause serious problems for Shep's team.

8) More team episodes; not so much splitting up the characters. Let them rely on each other more in harrowing situations. Geez, guys (that means the writers), two men can have a deep friendship without, gasp, sex being involved. And yes, I'm thinking Shep and McKay because they're the key characters, basically, of the show, although I wish they'd give more Weir more to do than cross arms and look stern/worried.

9) Let Teyla save the team at least! Yes, she's more than competent, she's a lifelong resident of the Pegasus Galaxy, etc. (However, I don't want to see this done as some Amazon woman plot.)

10) Need a 10th point yeah. More Sheppard character development

As for TPTB listening to fans.... well, in SG1 fandom, the fans (of many persuasions - ship, one character, etc.) all have done their write-in campaigns. What truly amazes me is how some fans actually believe they're entitled to see their fan genre up on screen (I'm on far too many lists and see some really whacko behavior from time to time. William Shatner, where are you with your words of wisdom??) Whatever happened to watching the show, liking or not liking it, and if you wanted more, you wrote fanfic? 'Ship', 'slash,' etc. are all fan fiction terms and genres. Sure, you get a little romance here and there, but it's not the show. If you want 'ship' 24/7, please go watch a daytime soap, or Desperate Housewives, or something.

The writers are going to gear toward a certain demographic, it's always going to be that way as they need to make money to keep the show on the air. If enough people write in and go "hideous character, how could you?!" then they'd probably reconsider having that character back (thinking about Tokra Barbie on SG1).

But it can be disheartening to read later on how an actor or someone had a really good meaty idea, and it was trounced, but hey, we blew up three spaceships in this episode!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        2) Keep Lorne and Zelenka alive. Idon't trust the writers. After all, they killed off Daniel and Janet in SG1. Good recurring characters are hard to find.
                        Totally agree with ya there, I like Lorne and Zelenka, they are some of the best recurring characters Stargate has ever had.

9) Let Teyla save the team at least! Yes, she's more than competent, she's a lifelong resident of the Pegasus Galaxy, etc. (However, I don't want to see this done as some Amazon woman plot.)
                        Wait hasn't this happened already on SGA, like in The Seige Part 3

7) Like to see Ford come back for a guest shot or two, but as an even more darkside Ford who could cause serious problems for Shep's team.
                        Agreed, I like Ford, he a cool, I like his sense of humor.

6) No Gou'ald. No Ori. Let's just work on the wraith, or evil worse villains.
                        I disagree (on the No Goa'uld part of the post), Critical Mass was an interesting episode
                        Spoiler:
                        who tipped the wraith off, who planted the bomb
                        , adding aspects of SG-1 makes the show more interesting.
                        sigpic

Comment

Fans should never really have an impact on how the stories are done, you get reviews, possible areas to explore but not an impact as such. Because the truth is everyone has completely different opinions which can drag it anywhere.

I mean if you were making a show like atlantis and half the people said get rid of the villains and the other half said dont do it what would you do?

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

We NEED MORE CARSON
                            I want to see Others interacting with Mckay(RONON AND TEYLA would be good)
                            We need to know more about the wraith(MAYBE HAVE A SUPER WRAITH...that we can see in more then just one EPISODE!)
                            We need more character development
                            TEYLA AND WEIR NEED TO START HAVING CONVERSATIONS(because seriously people... They are girls..girls need to have GIRLY CONVERSATIONS once in a while....)
                            AND I wANT TO SEE Weir kicking ass
                            DONT KILL THE REACCURING CHARACTERS (Lorne, Zelenka, etc)
                            let's bring some Athosians into the episodes.
                            PLEASE!! BACK STORYS FOR THE CHARACTERS SHOULD BE A MUST!!
                            WOULD BE NICE TO SEE MORE TOUCHING MOMENTS...

icon pic thanks Cathain Nottingham

Comment

Well I would like to see more of Janis I mean he did invent the time machine and also saved Atlantis with the installation of the failsafe, so he can come back help the base with the unknown technology. Then he goes off world to the brotherhood finally get back the Zedpm or any other world.

* I want to see more of the self shield.
                              * I want to see the wraith making a base on the mainland.
                              * I want to see a lost Goa'uld in the Pegasus galaxy that has been there for hundreds or thousands of years.
                              * I want to see another ancient ship that isn’t screwed up and one that can be used or studied by the Atlantis base and that has a super hard drive that can make it to earth in 5 days and maybe that needs to be powered up by a Zedpm.
                              * I want to see an ancient titanic ship or something more advanced with weapons like the ancient satellite fire power and it can be a submarine with an activation of a shield, and that can fly through space and galaxies.
                              * I want to see the wraith provide 3 fully charged Zedpm's to the Atlantis base but unknown from the wraith. But theirs a twist the Zedpm’s contains a wraith worm and transmit a distress beaker alerting the wraith that Atlantis exists while Rodney and Zelenka tries to clean it the city is under control by the wraith and the wraith fly’s the city towards a world populated by wraiths and surrounded by hive ships. And then sends a transmission to the Daedalus and that transmission has a worm that fly’s the Daedalus to the wraith. and ect
                              Last edited by Steven_the_Atlantean; 15 January 2006, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Some great ideas in this thread.

I'd also like to see more discoveries from the ancient database. Even if it's just recipes for tasty Pegasus Galaxy delicacies.

Comment

Working...
                                X