No announcement yet.

Allies (220)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was nice to finally see a few Wraith with brains in the show. I have reservations though because this is part one of two and if there's anything I've learned it's that this series has a history of shooting itself in the face when it comes to wrapping up good starts like this.

Please please please guys don't just cheeseball technowank your way out of this please. I don't want Hemroid to crack the jamming signal and beam everyone home safe putting a nuke in their place instead. Let's make them work for this one and resolve it in some cool way with tricks and so forth like it was set up here. Hell let Mckay and Dex go all diehard inside the hiveship. That could be hilarious with Dex dragging him around.

Setting aside those reservations though this was a great episode, probably the best of the series so far. It was like I said earlier when I wanted a Wraith version of "coup". The show gets so much better and more exciting when the badguys aren't dumb as dog droppings.

I also really liked the scene with Michael and Dex in the hospital room.

For all the people saying how stupid it was to agree to work with the hive what would you have done in the same situation?

They already know Atlantis is there and they've threatened to transmit to every other hiveship in the galaxy about it if you start attacking them.They were backed into a corner. They had to agree to go along with the Wraith proposal even if just to buy time.

Everything initially seemed to make sense and they downloaded all the data the Wraith sent them to secure computers first before spreading it around.

They did everything that you'd expect to play it safe. They only got screwed because finally there was an instance when the Wraith actually managed to outsmart the humans in a technological way. Well fancy that. This should be the status quo, not something that gets complained about when it finally happens after 2 years of us doing it to them.

Space Battle Pics/screencaps anyone?
    I'll post some later.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      Really smart Wraith would have informed their friends about the MW galaxy, and their enemies about Atlantis.
      No because if there were in a civil war wouldn't you want all the supplys(in this case food or humans) to yourself. You wouldn't want to share with a whole race.

But yes to the telling the wraith about atlantis, They were nice there

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
        Although I really would love to see the Asgard warships be asked to help out & it be them that takes the Wraith out. Just to see the Wraith finally get to this galaxy & think it'll be an easy target, then see O'neill class warships jump out of HS. Come on the viewscreen & trash talk them. The Wraith never having seen any real 'Aliens' before think that it's a joke, then Thor gives the command to open fire & they get taken out.
        I would love to see Thor trash talk the wraith. What would he say? I wonder what kind of sly remarks hes got or what kind of stuff he learned from oneill. Insult first, kick ass later.

Originally posted by Ouroboros
        I'll post some later
        Must....Have....Screencaps.....

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by someonerandom
          i blame mckay for getting carried away.. dude at console said "receiving transmission".. weir said "make sure it's secure".. mckay butted in and said "hey hey hey.. wwwwhere completely firewalled.... let me see that." to me, mckay was very overconfident there.. i blame mckay for taking control of the situation and possibly crossing the, if any, standard operating procedures/protocols by pushing the personal out of the way.
          Oh! Yes! Gawd! I wanted to slap him upside the head for that. Stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid. And rude! Rude, rude rude. Weir and Sheppard have got to take this spoiled brat down a few notches. (Note: I'm not bashing the character, as I feel MacKay was acting very much in character.)
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
            However, so say your burn it to DVD-R. Okay then you put it somewhere safe. Now to get this data, it's no use lying in a case somewhere. It needs to be accessed. Therefore it has to be placed in a computer & intergrated through some sort of translation software etc to make it compatible to them. Once this has been done, it can simply infect this program.
            Uh, no, it can't. It's roughly equivalent to having an instruction manual that says on page 23, "Please burn this manual." Sure, if I follow exactly what the manual tells me, it'll end up destroying itself. But what if I decide not to listen? Or what if I don't even speak the language?

Which if it were an installer, then you have the option of not clicking on it. However the worm is in the data itself. Therefore if you want to see the info then you need to run the data.
            No you don't. That's like saying saying that you can't read sheet music without playing it, or that you can't read HTML code without actually displaying the page.

If viewing information = running it, then the Wraith would be able to send in a virus just by sending in a signal via the subspace recievers. Doesn't work, however, because the subspace recievers wouldn't know how to percieve such a signal as anything but raw data.

Even to isolate the worm, it has to be run on a system. So either way, the system will get re-infected.
            If that were true, then how the heck does anti-virus work? Answer: Because it has the ability to scan for malicious data, without actually having to run it.

However even on a burned disc there is a simple way of destroying the data. Simply make an attempt to erase the disc & it'll destroy the data on it. If you don't believe me, simply take a finalized disc, put it in your drive. Then load up your burning program such as Nero etc. Erase the disc & when it's finished the data that was originally on it will be unuseable itself. So while it may not be physically possible to delete the data on the disc, it is still very easy to deliberately corrupt the disc & so you still get the same effect. Data that is of no use.
            Well first of all, what are the odds that the Wraith have access to DVD burning drivers? I can buy the idea that they can hack into our computers due to the fact that they're networked to ancient technology, but come on now.

Secondly, once you realize that there's a worm, you can put it in a drive without a burner. Problem solved.

The worm & virus weren't designed for any one system, otherwise it would not have been able to corrupt & take over Human & Asgard systems in 'Intruder'. The same goes for Ancient computers. So simply putting it on a Mac wouldn't really do any good either, as the original worm wasn't just designedf for Windows, Linux operation systems etc. So a Mac would just suffer the same fate.
            The human systems were designed to interface with Ancient computing. Same goes for the Asgard. In a sense, they're basically attempting to emulate the Ancient OS for the sake of compatibility, and thus would be susceptible to the same viruses.

Comment

Originally posted by caty
              Hey, one question: Why do you watch the show? You seem to hate everybody in it, so what's the point?
              That's not very nice. It's not sensible to get so upset because someone else is a fan in a different way than you (sounds like an argument for gay marriage there), but I guess it happens all the time anyway. Let him/her have their opinions, I say.

As for the magic virus, well, it was pretty damn lame. The wraith are apparently programming geniuses who are very well-informed on how our computers work. Actually, I suspect that just the opposite is true of our writing staff, they things they have viruses do is similar in a way to Star Trek's Fun With DNA (apparently your DNA records every memory you have and every creature in your billion-year lineage).

Viruses can't just be written to do things without knowledge of a system, it's not like there's a universal rule that "01110101000101011010010110" always makes any computer output "010010101010110101010101010," which is essentially parallel to the assumption necessary to write a "virus" that will execute itself magically in any computer system.

Obviously, the thing to do would have been to put it all on a hard drive (as it was when it came in), not connect that harddrive to any but one, standalone computer, partition the data and put it on DVD-Rs, (and send those back to earth to be studied on secure computer systems,) and printed out page by page to look at the hard copies. This would have taken care of even a magical Wraith virus, but technical (or character stupidity) issues like this are just what you have to accept in shows like SGA, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ichigo
                No because if there were in a civil war wouldn't you want all the supplys(in this case food or humans) to yourself. You wouldn't want to share with a whole race.
                But if the civil war is exclusively over the food shortage and MW galaxy has more than enough food to sustain several Hive ships, then it seems to me the better strategy is to go into this new space well-armed.

What is more, the Wraith don't know the extent of the MW human's/other species fighting capabilities. They do know that the Humans now in Atlantis are formidable.

Many Hive ships stand a better chance of the Wraith gaining a foothold, but they will also sustain losses, further cutting back on the final Wraith population.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

This is what I am going to say.....If you look at what happen in the episode you can only see what is going to happen. Possible Spoilers Below.
                  I Think Micheal will help them get away and kill the two Hive ships at the same time. This will put them right back where they were.
                  Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Yep and if the atlantis crew didnt make mistakes ever, it would be a hell of a boring show, this is human fallibility...

OK lets see how allies plays out the "safe" way, wraith come to atlantis with offer, SGA say OK (we're not changing this bit), they send first data, is all separately stored and then the wraith come down, to look around, find out bout the virus...

....la la la all would be the same til the ship specs are beamed down (as these were the ones with worm in)....

Right thats kept completely separate, but still backed up onto all the other PCs, worm activates, cant find data, but still takes out wraith data when activated, Mikes Hive dont get data, realise theyve been discovered and tell all other wraith about atlantis....

.... all wraith come to atlantis, city is destroyed either by us or them, end of show.

yep would be a good way to finish the show...
                    Don't put jam on a magnet

my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle

Comment

screen shots.. enjoy.. this is the first encounter.. the second encounter there wasn't much of a fight...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by someonerandom; 03 December 2006, 04:56 AM.

Comment

i would call that speculation :-) you guys check out the 220 official thread in episodes section?

Comment

and for the second encounter.. i wasn't able to get a clear snapshot at shephard's 302 around the hive ship
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by someonerandom; 03 December 2006, 04:56 AM.

Comment

thank you soooooooooooo much.!

Best Stargate quote:
                            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                              thank you soooooooooooo much.!
                              guess i'm good for something

Comment

Originally posted by KRiZ
                                Yep and if the atlantis crew didnt make mistakes ever, it would be a hell of a boring show, this is human fallibility...
                                There's a big difference between being fallable and being idiotic.

For instance, Rodney is arrogant, obnoxious, and can't fight. But we accept these as part of his character, and we love him all the more for it, because we can identify with that.

What we can't identify with is when we (the audience) yell at the screen, "No, you idiot, don't do it!" and he does it anyway. Particularly when he's supposed to be one of the most brilliant minds in two galaxies. How can we identify with a character who would sabotage himself for no reason other to move the plot?

Answer: We can't. And that's a problem. If you want to move the plot, you shouldn't do it by making your main characters dumb. You do it by making the villains that much smarter.

OK lets see how allies plays out the "safe" way, wraith come to atlantis with offer, SGA say OK (we're not changing this bit), they send first data, is all separately stored and then the wraith come down, to look around, find out bout the virus...

....la la la all would be the same til the ship specs are beamed down (as these were the ones with worm in)....

Right thats kept completely separate, but still backed up onto all the other PCs, worm activates, cant find data, but still takes out wraith data when activated, Mikes Hive dont get data, realise theyve been discovered and tell all other wraith about atlantis....

.... all wraith come to atlantis, city is destroyed either by us or them, end of show.

yep would be a good way to finish the show...
                                Sure, if the characters do sit around and do absolutely nothing.

Of course, why would the Hive ship have to resort to that? They still have the upper hand, Atlantis can't do anything to retaliate, and destroying the city still wouldn't solve any of their problems.

And how would the Wraith be discovered? If the worm never managed to find the data, then the hive ship wouldn't have responded by having it erase their databanks, which means that the worm would never have been discovered. Which means that the wraith would have to rely on some other plan in infect the city.

Comment

Working...
                                X