No announcement yet.

The Long Goodbye (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked this episode! It was good to see Weir in action!

Sheppard: See? Things are looking up.

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
      I'm just saying I'm not going to jump the gun and say Atlantis is finished just because season 2 isn't as great as season 1. Some of the best SG-1 eps came from season 3 and 4.
      That is certainly fair, but the problem is, season 2 of SG-1 blows season 2 of Atlantis away. For Atlantis what have we really gained from this season? It's really hard to say at this point so I wont go into it. But in SG-1 we established the Asguards awsomeness. We met the Tok'Ra and Jacob. There were the episodes Secrets and The Fifth Race, which have to be high up on most fans lists. Sure S2 is probably most infamously known as the season with the lamest season finale in the history of the show but that was really the only big disapointment there.

Certainly Atlantis could be a lot like SG-1 and have great Season 3's and 4's (and 5 was great too IMO) but recently the show is giving off the impression that they don't really know where they are going with this. SG1 had great building blocks in season 2, and right now I'm not so sure what has been established this season that could be used in the same way. Hopefully they use the Ford story line well and keep up with the Geni who are better villians at times than the Wraith.

Comment

In my review for the previous episode, I was less than pleased by the fact that the events were clearly contrived to result in the acquisition of some puddle-jumpers and drones, leaving the actual episode with a spare and predictable plot with little character exploration. Some people took me to task for calling the writers “complacent”; an equal number of comments agreed with the fact that the writers dropped the ball.

Still others, who have seen the episodes earlier than the mainstream US audience, predicted that I would hate this episode even more. After all, this episode seems to have even less to do with the threadbare season arc, doesn’t really delve into the characters in any meaningful way, and follows a relatively predictable plot thread. In essence, many felt that I would have a strong negative reaction to any episode that didn’t fit into what I felt was the “season arc”, and that’s all there was to it.

Well, it’s not that simple. I actually liked many things about this episode. There’s a very big difference between “filler”, which I see no excuse for, and “stand-alone”, which is a perfectly acceptable form of storytelling. Even arc-driven shows have stand-alone episodes (even if the best shows will ensure that the stand-alone episodes fit within the thematic side of a season arc). The “X-Files” had several excellent episodes that had nothing to do with the series’ mythology, after all, and that was a series fraught with consistency issues.

The difference between the previous episode and this episode should be plain, though some won’t recognize it. It has to do with the depth of effort. The previous episode didn’t pave any new ground, didn’t pose an interesting scenario, and then compounded the problem by dumping in a possible long-term plot element into the mix as if it justified the lack of depth in the rest of the episode. This time around, while the scenario itself was somewhat thin, it gave two cast members the chance to play with new material, and no attempt was made to force in a connection to the season arc. It was a pure “stand-alone”, and it worked on that level.

That’s not to say that it didn’t have problems. Even with Caldwell’s objections (which made a lot of sense, given his recent history), the team on Atlantis agreed to the idea of letting Sheppard join Weir in the “possession” situation a bit too easily. I also felt that McKay’s attitude was a little forced, even if it makes sense for him to rail against Caldwell’s assumption of command. The fact is, none of them were in a position to deal with an alien with all of Weir’s knowledge, and Caldwell didn’t screw up any worse than any of the team would have in the same situation. And there was no doubt that Weir and Sheppard would survive; it was just a question of how.

I did like, however, the apparent return of the subtext between Sheppard, Weir, and Teyla. I’ve always said that Sheppard and Teyla were circling each other, whatever else they might have to say about it, and Weir certainly has had her thoughts about Sheppard since the beginning of the series. It might have been better to muddy the picture a bit, so the audience couldn’t be sure who was acting at any given time, but it still touches on character dynamics that have been sorely lacking of late. It’s unlikely that this will ever come up again, except in passing, but this was a capable stand-alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          Why did they need to install a fire supressant system at all? This is Atlantis, surely it has something capable of putting out a mere fire. We've seen the city has sensors capable of detecting something as itty bitty as a little nanovirus. Surely its sensors can detect a fire and respond accordingly.
          well, this is how the gov't (our gov't) works. You can't use it here in the States, so you dump it on third world countries (aka pesticides). However, since Halon is no longer used, let's dump it in the Pegasus Galaxy where our rules don't really apply. Earth folk don't care about Atlantis' ozone layer, after all (the reason Halon was banned was it was damaging to the ozone layer).

However, it also depends on which Halon you're using, as some have more toxicity that others, but yes, you'd think the Atlantean folk would have a fire suppressant system already in place, or couldn't Rodney find it?

According to one website..

Halon hazards include:

Asphyxiation - Although unlikely to occur during use of a single fire extinguishing unit, exposure to high concentrations of halon gas may cause an oxygen deficient atmosphere.

Flying Projectile - If the cylinder is mishandled and the pressure is released in an uncontrolled manner, the cylinder can act as a projectile causing serious injury or death to people working with the cylinder or bystanders in the vicinity.

Cold Temperature - Direct contact with the vaporizing liquid being discharged will have a strong chilling effect and can cause frostbite burns to the skin.

Central Nervous System (CNS) - Inhaling high concentrations of halon gas can cause dizziness, tingling in extremities, and in severe cases, unconsciousness.

Cardiovascular Effect - Exposure can cause cardiac sensitization. Cardiac sensitization occurs when a chemical causes an increased sensitivity of the heart to adrenaline producing sudden life-threatening, irregular heartbeats and even heart attack, in severe cases.

Irritation of exposed skin and eyes may also result from exposures to halon.

Decomposition products of halon can be very toxic. The decomposition takes place when halon is exposed to a flame or to a hot surface at or above 900 degrees F. During decomposition the atoms of the halon molecule breakdown and can create high concentrations of toxic gases. Before entering into an area where a large fire was extinguished, toxic atmosphere tests should be done to ensure safe entry and occupancy of the area.

By itself halon present a low hazard but when combined with out hazardous situation it can be a major problem. If workers must enter into a space with limited ventilation the atmosphere must be tested for oxygen levels. If the oxygen level is below 19.5% than the space is considered oxygen deficient and a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) is required.

....So, it's not sure if this Halon release would have truly bumped off the Atlanteans exposed to it...

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
            The characters were acting WAY too stupid in this ep for me to like it enough to re watch. Couldn't the writers have figured out a better way for Sheppard to get taken over by the entity? It could of gone down like this...

Weir wakes up after getting flashed by the pod. She goes on to do the she wants to see here husband bit and asks Sheppard if he'll do it. Caldwell, not being stupid, says there's no way in hell they are going to compromise both heads of Atlantis in one day. Sheppard agrees and they leave Weir in the infirmary under guard. Later Weir asks to see Sheppard and he comes to see what she wants. She asks him if the second pod has arrived yet and he confirms that in it is in the something room. Weir says that’s good then she quickly knocks her guard unconscious grabs his gun and holding Sheppard at gunpoint marches him to where the pods are. McKay, Beckett and Caldwell are there, discussing what to do with the pod when Weir and Shep come in. She stuns them all and then forces Sheppard by gunpoint to be taken over by the other entity. Then the game begins.

Just one of the many improvements I think the episode needs. It had so much potential.
            Yeah! Thanks for giving me a better and more exciting scenario. It played out so much better in my mind than what actually went down with Sheppard and everyone else willingly allowing the entity to take over his mind. Dumb. --kris

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              well, this is how the gov't (our gov't) works. You can't use it here in the States, so you dump it on third world countries (aka pesticides). However, since Halon is no longer used, let's dump it in the Pegasus Galaxy where our rules don't really apply. Earth folk don't care about Atlantis' ozone layer, after all (the reason Halon was banned was it was damaging to the ozone layer).
              You make a very good point here, but I think that in the case of Atlantis, the depletion of the ozone there wouldn't be such a problem. The halon would only be released in a rare, big emergency, and even then, it would be in a relatively low quantity that is unlikely to signficantly affect the ozone of the planet. The problem here on Earth is that there's so many ozone-depleting substances in use that the compound effect of them all is what's doing us in. At relatively low populations and primarily using Ancient technology, I doubt that the 'Lantean planet is in quite the same position.
              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I havent read many of the preceding 12 pages of posts... but I figued I'd chime in anyways.

I liked this episode... until Weir went to the Science lab and started giving orders. Ronan being shot was a surprise (hell... how often do main SG good guys get hurt). It was nice to see Weir playing a "hunter" so that we could finally see her in a different light. But hell, half way through the episode she began giving commands and it seemed almost normal.

Also... I liked Caldwell in this episode. I think thats the first time I have felt this way. Seems like they are adding some depth to the character.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrionLannister

Also... I liked Caldwell in this episode. I think thats the first time I have felt this way. Seems like they are adding some depth to the character.
                  I'd have to agree with you there. It's nice to know there's someone you can count on when your two main leaders are incapacitated.

Comment

This episode was pretty good. You got to see Weir kick some butt, which was very Bourne Identity, to me. We didn't have to sit through another consecutive week of the John Sheppard sexcapades again either. I mean i don't know about everyone else, but i like to watch Stargate, not every woman in the galaxy throwing themself at Sheppard. He's the leader of a military group, for crying out loud! He shouldn't be giving in to that sort of thing. What a weakling! I like the Sheppard character pretty good, i just hate when they make him like a thirteen year old boy that just hit puberty. It's not realistic and makes for really cheesy, bad T.V.

Did anyone else get the sense that this episode kind of felt like the movie Die Hard?

Comment

Quite enjoyed this one. Weir/Torri was very good and it was great to see her in action. This should happen more often. It was also good to see Teyla and Weir interact, even if Weir wasn't Weir if you know what I mean. It was also great to see Teyla have the brains to orchestra the final capture. Way to go Teyla...

Caldwell was better in this episode, much better.

The possession of Sheppard by Thalen was a blatant attempt to generate a "ship" scene. It makes no sense to the story, I agree that it could have been more realistic. I think Weir would have better taste! Having said that I think that Teyla would also have better taste! However, I think the scene between Teyla and Thalan/Sheppard, showed for once that they have some sort of rapport (I don't particularly think it's shippy rapport).

There was plenty of team action and interaction which was good. good stuff.

Comment

OK...

1. I was pretty much 'get on with it' with the smooch.

2. Ronan, didn't have you down as the naive type mate.

3. Nice work from TH here.

4. Had the feeling that they threw in Caldwell just becuase they needed someone senior military to run the show with Weir and Sheppard taken over. Not a biggie, I've done similar stuff with my writing, got a feeling that TPTB's plan A was not to bring Caldwell back for a while.

Overall, yes this was filler, but it was cool, fun filler. Which makes it better than both the Tower and GUP!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                          4. Had the feeling that they threw in Caldwell just becuase they needed someone senior military to run the show with Weir and Sheppard taken over. Not a biggie, I've done similar stuff with my writing, got a feeling that TPTB's plan A was not to bring Caldwell back for a while.
                          I thought it was definitely weird to see Caldwell back so soon. If I were his superior officer, I would want him on Earth for longer than just a few weeks to make sure he was dealing with his snaky problem before I sent him back into danger. On the other hand, if I was Caldwell, I would want to get back to duty as soon as possible so I could work to regain the lost time and trust.
                          SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                            OK...

2. Ronan, didn't have you down as the naive type mate.
                            Haha, yeah, I was a bit shocked by that too. I was like "He's not gonna take the bait, he's not gonna...oh man, he is...wait, what?"

I also didn't expect Caldwell to be back so soon, but with the whole getting your body taken over by an alien entity thing, I suppose it was relevant and convient to get him back.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Tigress
                              I also didn't expect Caldwell to be back so soon, but with the whole getting your body taken over by an alien entity thing, I suppose it was relevant and convient to get him back.
                              I think it was mentioned that they were going to use some improved Asgard beaming tech to remove the symbiote. If so, it must have worked! Now the question is: What did they do with the snake?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

We open to an interesting debate between the team, flying around in a jumper, about TV and the best TV shows. Obviously Ronon had no idea what they were on about, you would have thought that Sheppard would have got him to watch his TV but there you go. Whilst all this is going on they find two pods floating around in space…so they did the Stargate thing and bring them back to Atlantis, which in traditional Sci-Fi would lead to disaster.

Already knowing what this episode would be about, Sheppard and Weir having conscious in them, and you wonder why we see a “Previously on Stargate Atlantis” to do with Critical Mass with Caldwell having a Goa’uld in him. Because of that we have to wonder how long he was like that, so in a way it’s the new and improved Caldwell who’s out to prove everyone wrong.

Someone in a pod – Weir walks over – Light – Weir falls to the floor it’s a classic transfer of consciousness.

We have to wonder why she chose Sheppard, why she thought he was better than say Ronon or McKay (which would have been funny!). Or maybe it was because she thought that he would be an easy host to beat. We are led in to believe that they are husband and wife wanting to spend a few last moments together, they go for the romantic setting, the KISS (something for the shippers) and then bam they go and attack the guards outside, nick a stunner, stunner everyone and then go about killing each other. During this scene with Weir pointing the gun at McKay and telling him to drop it, and then radio to call off the guards, she doesn’t like it so bam he gets stunned.

You don’t often see Weir going around and kicking butt, we defiantly didn’t see it during the Siege so its different, she made light work of Lorne and his team. The scope between where Weir was and where Sheppard was, made you wonder how the team was going to find them the city is huge, so the life form scanner came in handy, even then they could go anywhere in the city. Sheppard was able to fool Ronon which is something that I don’t think would happen, Ronon knows better than that, he should have stunned him and asked questions later, it ended up with him getting shot by Weir!

After Teyla was tracking Weir and didn’t seem to realise that Sheppard could be nearby, got stunned, and came to just in time to move out of the door when it closed…She managed to get Sheppard after he had tried to get out, he got stunned and then it all kicked off with Weir threatening to kill around ¾ of the exhibition team just to get Teyla to kill Sheppard. And all this is because of a war between two races which has been raging for years, until both sides were down to a hand full of people going around killing the others, who knows these two races may have made up and are know living in harmony!! Teyla was forced to make a decision, kill Sheppard to save the lives of the many or don’t kill Sheppard and allow Weir to kill hundreds. But in the end McKay came to the rescue locked out Weir allowing Teyla to relax a little.

In the end Sheppard came back around to his normal self and Teyla being the wise leader of the Athosians (where have they gone?) gave his a stunner to shot Weir. But she didn’t trust him, and I mean who would this is a guy who kissed her a few weeks ago, doesn’t call, and then she discovers that he kissed Weir!
                                All in all a good episode, no flashy special effects, just the normal set and them chasing around it.

The Long Goodbye receives an S.G.C rating of 7 out of 9 Chevrons!

Comment

Working...
                                X