No announcement yet.

The Long Goodbye (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked it. Not as good as the last few episodes, but still good all the same. I liked Rodney's reaction when he first saw Col Caldwell and his reaction to Weir when he realized she had another conscienceness in her..."not again!"...lol.

I did find it a little unbelievable that they just allowed John to have another entity take over him over and I even though Weir was acting funny when she was all giddy about the love stuff. I wouldn't have fallen for it. I really felt that they made a stupid command decision.

I really like Col Caldwell in this and I think we'll see a little more agreement btwn Weir and him now, not as much decisiveness we've seen in the past.

Ronan...why is he here again? Ok, sorry, but felt absolutely no angst whatsover when he was shot. I actually FF through those scenes to find out what was happening to John and Weir. I felt more for Teyla when she was forced with the decision to shoot kill John or let 3/4 of the expedition die. I wish TPTB would have forced her to shoot him. I think she could have shot him without killing him to stall. It definatley would have made for a good story in the future about her willing to kill him.

Overall, good episode, little angst. Oh, the best part? Seeing Major Lorne again

Comment

Do you know what really bugs me about this show and I'm seeing it a lot?! Well there are two things as a matter of fact.

1. I'm tired of the over done plots but done differently. It's getting annoying like they can't think of other great scenarios..they have to get people possessed. They could do better than that, I mean there must be innovative ways to get a story going...How many people have been taken by a some other life force?! Hmmmmmm......

2. What is up with these people bringing everything they find back to Atlantis? Isn't there some off base planet that they could find? What if these pods carried some parasite or some parasitic beast...you know that when he feeds off you it would make 'IT' by Stephen King hurl?! I mean is there no threat of something gross being in a pod to make you think....you know what?! Instead of bringing it back to base where something detrimental can go wrong...let's take it off base where we don't put the lives of several hundred people in jeopardy?!

I mean really....I can't understand how this is not one of their main concerns. It's like me finding a bag in the street that has some life force and bringing it home, before openign the bag mind you, and opening to find a head....I mean people don't do things like that. Now we have people running around and injuring....possibly killing various members of the ex for what!? Huh!? What in the world did they achieve by doing this situation?! Are they going to manufacture several pods to then give everyone if anything should happen when their over taken? All they got was two people under the influence, and some dead bodies on their hands and two pods....that I still don't see the purpose of.

I'm not liking this bringing everything back to base thing----resulting in this....does know one think, 'Worst case scenario?' Parasitic being living in body could kill several hundred people?! No one thinks that....no one thinks off-base world would benefit us better...where there are no inhabitants..and there are quite a bit of those....

VB
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
        The characters were acting WAY too stupid in this ep for me to like it enough to re watch. Couldn't the writers have figured out a better way for Sheppard to get taken over by the entity? It could of gone down like this...

Weir wakes up after getting flashed by the pod. She goes on to do the she wants to see here husband bit and asks Sheppard if he'll do it. Caldwell, not being stupid, says there's no way in hell they are going to compromise both heads of Atlantis in one day. Sheppard agrees and they leave Weir in the infirmary under guard. Later Weir asks to see Sheppard and he comes to see what she wants. She asks him if the second pod has arrived yet and he confirms that in it is in the something room. Weir says that’s good then she quickly knocks her guard unconscious grabs his gun and holding Sheppard at gunpoint marches him to where the pods are. McKay, Beckett and Caldwell are there, discussing what to do with the pod when Weir and Shep come in. She stuns them all and then forces Sheppard by gunpoint to be taken over by the other entity. Then the game begins.

Just one of the many improvements I think the episode needs. It had so much potential.
        Although I enjoyed this episode more than you did, there's no denying how the characters were dumbed down for da plot. Your scenario would've worked a lot better than what we saw on screen and I bet it didn't take you long to come up with it. The professional SGA writers should've been able to come up with something just as plausible. Gad, I hate lazy writing.

Originally posted by Arative
        I thought this was a fun episode. It was fun to watch Weir kick some butt for a change, even if it wasn't her and I thought Torri pulled off playing a different person quite well.

I thought Ronon was out of character, he strikes me as a shoot first ask questions later but then maybe being around Shepard is rubbing off on him.

I liked how everyone was kind of weary around Caldwell and even Caldwell was somewhat defensive the entire episode. Shows that the writers aren't just forgetting about him be a Gou'ald.
        I agree, Torri was great and fun to watch as a hard as nails butt kicking chick. And, Ronon was so out of character that it was distracting. In-character Ronon would definitely have stunned Sheppard first and then tried to find out if it was really him later.

Caldwell was one of the highlights of the episode and, of those who were around before John was possessed, he was the only one who wasn't written as if he had lost brain cells.
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana

Comment

5/5 for me. I have been waiting to see this epi since I saw previews in January, and saw the kiss. Also given this was a huge Weir epi, I was doubly looking forward to it since I'm a fan of her character. Wasn't disappointed in the least. Good acting, lines, humor, etc.

Ronan: I'll go after Sheppard, you go after Weir.
          Teyla: Why?
          Ronan: Because I know how Sheppard thinks. I haven't got the slightest
          clue
          how Weir thinks.

Given the touchy history b/t those two, this line was hillarious to me.

The expressions on everyone's face when Weir kissed Shep was awesome, esp. Caldwell's. Nice kiss BTW.

The entire conversation at the end b/t Weir, Shep and Caldwell was priceless. Having Caldwell bring up the *kiss* and to have the other two look at him simulateously, then to look at each other embarrassed! LMAO Not to mention Weir slinking down in her bed like she was trying to hide!!! Yes, I enjoyed this epi.

Sorry but I liked that Weir manipulated the situation so that Shep took on the other mind. There was enough but kicking later on, not to mention they would never have made it to the pods w/o someone noticing. No, Shep shouldn't have taken on the consciousness, stupid decision on his part, though this does seemed to show how much they trust Weir. As for residual effects, for all we know this could be like the Goa'uld in that they could retain the info of these people, esp if these people could read their minds. As for the whole husband reference thing when Weir was talking over the intercom, I took that to be wicked sense of humor.

I don't mind the single filler epi. This was about the plot and letting a few actors flex their muscles. SG-1 in it's best seasons were loaded with filler epis since the show was about discovering new races and situations that might not come up again for a few seasons or at all. This is no different. It's not just about the ongoing plot of the Wraith or Genii or whatever. It's also an epi by epi/experience by experience basis which is equally enjoyable to watch.
          Last edited by Dannygirl; 11 February 2006, 07:47 AM.
          I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
          - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure

As for the episode - Torri proved she can do much more than she has been given in the past. She needs to be used more to her potential.
            I agree. She had some great moments as the alien. She seemed to change her vocal patterns and everything.
            As far as the episode overall: I loved when Phoebus said "forget it" and just stunned everyone. Rodney was used sparingly and effectively. I would have loved to see a showdown with Phoebus and Teyla. Teyla/ RL is also underused IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo
              Although I enjoyed this episode more than you did, there's no denying how the characters were dumbed down for da plot. Your scenario would've worked a lot better than what we saw on screen and I bet it didn't take you long to come up with it. The professional SGA writers should've been able to come up with something just as plausible. Gad, I hate lazy writing.

I agree, Torri was great and fun to watch as a hard as nails butt kicking chick. And, Ronon was so out of character that it was distracting. In-character Ronon would definitely have stunned Sheppard first and then tried to find out if it was really him later.

Caldwell was one of the highlights of the episode and, of those who were around before John was possessed, he was the only one who wasn't written as if he had lost brain cells.
              I highly enjoyed LTG, but I agree with the statement you made that I bolded. I loved the end scene between Caldwell, Sheppard and Weir, but as a friend of mine pointed out, shouldn't Weir after hearing all she did (shoot Ronon, etc..) have some kind of emotional reaction? Something like "oh my god I can't believe I did that.." kinda thing. I agree that the characters, especially at the end with Weir were dumbed down. And that's really sad because if they had written that into the episode Weir's reaction at the end it would have been closer to being a perfect episode for me (as a Weir fan). I think it's also sad because SGA has such a talented group of actors and actresses, they can do SO much more. TLG proved that Torri can do alot more than just say "good luck" or debate morals with other characters. She is a excellent actress who deserves more meatier stories and episodes that challenges her acting skills.

And the kiss... well.. I think my HDTV melted at that point.

And I did enjoy Caldwell taking charge and in his own way showing concern and care for the city and Sheppard and Weir. I liked the dialogue between Weir and Caldwell at the beginning. They actually appeared to be understanding each other. And also at the end it seemed like Weir and Caldwell had developed... dare I say, a respect for one another? I also liked that Mitch had a more meatier plot to his character. Mitch is an awesome actor. I love him on SGA! Although I still want tension between Weir and his character. I'm lovin the little tiff's they have.

Sig by Dorka.Thanks!

*~'.:GTA 199:.'~*

Comment

The use of Caldwell in this epi was definitely perfect. I really hope he stays around.

As for why Weir didn't show more emotion, I would've expected the whole,"Oh my God" reaction if she didn't know she did it. But she was watching herself the entire time it was happening, so she knew of it and was probably a tad pissed at Phoebus for it, while having the "Oh my God" reaction at the same time.
                I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!

Comment

Ok... Weir gets taken over by an alien entity... and they just let her talk them into getting Shep taken over as well. Makes sense... And why did they let this happen? Ofcourse, they were tricked.

What made any of the team, esp. Teyla, that they could convince the entities from stop warring?

This episode was pretty good... but nowhere near as good as CM.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Dannygirl
                    The use of Caldwell in this epi was definitely perfect. I really hope he stays around.

As for why Weir didn't show more emotion, I would've expected the whole,"Oh my God" reaction if she didn't know she did it. But she was watching herself the entire time it was happening, so she knew of it and was probably a tad pissed at Phoebus for it, while having the "Oh my God" reaction at the same time.
                    I see your point, but it would have been nice to see.

Where in Ohio are you? I am in the NW Ohio area.

Sig by Dorka.Thanks!

*~'.:GTA 199:.'~*

Comment

When I saw previews for this episode I wasn't impressed. But after watching it, I was pleasantly surprised. The episode was entertaining.

Comment

Weir totally rocked in this ep.
                        I thought Teyla did a really fantastic job too.
                        And Sheppard and Caldwell did great. Rodney... not sure why he was complaining about the command issue, but thats just Rodney I guess. Beckett and Ronan were good too. But Weir totally rocked.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                          But Weir totally rocked.
                          It was nice to see her have more than 5 minutes of screen time. She did a great job in this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyler
                            I see your point, but it would have been nice to see.

Where in Ohio are you? I am in the NW Ohio area.
                            Northeast. Akron area.

Comment

Overall I agree with the mainstream, a good ep, not fantastic, but a good ep was long overdue anyway especially after the tower . It was poor judgement on John's part to willingly give control of his mind and body to an alien entity, one which he knew nothing about but I still overlooked it. Imo it would have been better if...
                              A) At the beginning he was standing near Thalan (sp?) the way Liz was standing near Phobeus (sp?) and they both got knocked out and taken over, then they could have added more fight scenes between the two or they both could have played dumb longer. Or
                              B) The writers could have turned this into a two parter. The beginning happens the same way as it did in the episode with Liz being taken over first then Shep. Shep being taken over after Liz is still unconcious. Mckay, Teyla and Ronan would become the A plot as a distraction, perhaps they are sent off world on a mission without Shep (meantime Caldwell monitors the mission). Then Cut to the B plot: a scene with Thalan waking up and then being confronted by Phobeus although the audience doesn't know their real identies yet (or to keep the audience in suspense the 3 go off on their mission while Thalan is still unconcious and he isn't shown again, just mentioned). "Weir" who was being monitored at the infirmary (as they want to make sure shes in good health) leaves and claims to be feeling herself and wants control back of Atlantis (she has plans of her own), Beckett and Caldwell insist that she get some rest to be on the safe side. Shes not to pleased but doesn't show it to much not wanting to arouse suspicion and complies seemingly going back to the infirmary. Mckay, Teyla and Ronan return safely and then its discovered that "Weir" and "Sheppard" are missing.
                              To Be Continued is how it ends.

Comment

I loved this episode for obvious reason (take a look at my sig). Watching Caldwell in action was a great fun! But i agree the plot it self was naive and overally, if not for Mitch Pileggi i woud rate it average.
                                A

Comment

Working...
                                X