The Tower (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarnin
    Uh, the Alterans were wiped out by a plague millions of years before the Wraith even evolved. I think you meant Lantians.
    Not quite... Alterrans and Lantians are two differtent names for Ancients. They called themselves Alterrans and the humans on Atlantis call the Ancients who lived there Lantians (short for Atlantians).

Anyway, the Ancients from Atlantis went back to earth 10.000 years ago and joined their friends any relatives here.

And not all were wiped out by the plauge, those who survived ascended in time.
    S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
    Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
    Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      Incidentally, what's the percentage on Carson's gene therapy whatsit these days? Has he perfected it? Or are the odds now in favor of it actually working? I though it would have been massively ironic if Otho had gone through all those machinations only to have the ATA gene not take.
      It is still around 50-50 which is the same as it was give or take a few points as it was when the topic came up in 'Hot Zone'.

Comment

Originally posted by CYBEREAGLE19
        ok in the tower we find an exact duplicate of atlantis filled with tons of drones and puddle jumpers
        If I'm not mistaken, Mckay says that the city is nearly identical, not exactly identical.

Comment

The Altarans were not wiped out by the plague. In Rising, Daniel cites the plague as the reason the Ancients left Earth in their "flying city". The Altlantians ARE Altarans. There is no difference between the Ancients in our galaxy and the ones in Pegasus.

Comment

When they can't even integrate old Goa'uld weapons into any of their ships. What chance do they have of installing Ancient weapons. Just because they have Drones, doesn't mean they can just put them in Daedalus & fire them at will.

A far more sensible solution is to have it permanently carry a few (3/4) Puddle Jumpers in it's landing bays. Should they get into trouble, open the landing bay doors & let the Jumpers fire the Drones at the Wraith ships safely behind the Asgard shields. When the Drones run down, they could simply re-stock the PJ's supply again with the ones that they have found.

Comment

Eh, whatever....

I didn't much care for this ep. No mystery - I knew the technomage from B5 was the bad guy the moment I saw him - no drama and certainly no hard questions being tackled, here, despite, noticing the potential for some.

1)Why did the Wraith abandon their attacks on this world? No, really?

2)How the heck does an entire city get buried and overgrown like this one did?

3)Where did the Tower residents get their funky deco?

4)Why wasn't someone, somewhere, making a fuss about these visitors taking everything they want from their city and only line of defense against the Wraith? Isn't it like gunpoint-trading fur pelts for trinkets?

5) When is McKay going to develop some people skills?

Bright spots: Beckett's and Ronan's parts, small as they were.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Didn't Mckay fire one of the drones by just interfacing his tablet PC with it? If he could do that with a laptop it shouldn't be too hard to fire them from the Daedulus. Or did he interface it with an Ancient console? I can't remember...

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyturtle
                  Didn't Mckay fire one of the drones by just interfacing his tablet PC with it? If he could do that with a laptop it shouldn't be too hard to fire them from the Daedulus. Or did he interface it with an Ancient console? I can't remember...
                  His PC seemed to be interfaced with the city's systems. That's how he could run the Star Drive etc & so because he had access to the systems then he could launch it failry easily. To fit them into Daedalus they would need all the appropriate Ancient systems & being they can't even take an energy weapon from a glider, Al'Kesh or other ship & put it on one of their own, then there is no chance in hell that they could patch in Drones to the Deadalus systems without significant Asgard help. Since the Asgard didn't give them weapons in the first place, then I can't see the high council giving Hermiod permission to even make an attempt. Especially since we all know what Drones can do, Anubis enhanced ships could easily take care of Thor's ship & Drones went through his like butter. So if the Asgard really are concerned about providing other races with anything that could be used against them, then they'd have to be seriously stupid to do that. Especially when there is a very high chance that they could wipe out Asgard ships without much trouble.

The writers screwed up on this, they give away Asgard sensors, beaming tech, Drives, Shields & goodness knows what else in the Earth ships. Yet can't even find themselves to design something that won't have the slightest effect on their ships but ma7y provide more offensive capabilities against other potential enemies that they might encounter in their travels. Since Thor exclusively said in 'Disclosure' that he was there to install weapons on Prometheus.

So failing the writers to stick to their own storylines, I cannot see Drones being equipped on Daedalus, other than with the help of Jumpers for a good few years yet. Drones seem to be the most powerful weapons that we have ever seen in Stargate & so since they have had other Alien tech fopr years in Area 51 & cannot make heads or tails of it, then there won't be much hope for Drones in Earth ships for the forseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyturtle
                    I think he interfaced the Tablet with the Ancient console...and as an addendum, McKay has the (artificial) ATA gene...

I don't think putting them on the Daedalus would be a particularly good idea, considering the Wraith are constantly trying to steal it. Lets be fair, as long as they have intergalactic hyperdrive, getting it intact is going to be high on the Wraith's priority list...
                    Last edited by knocknashee; 21 December 2005, 11:18 AM.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

1)Why did the Wraith abandon their attacks on this world? No, really?

Because the tower could shooot down their ships with drones.

2)How the heck does an entire city get buried and overgrown like this one did?

Sinkhole? Lousy yard maintenance? Earthquake sucked it up?

3)Where did the Tower residents get their funky deco?

After Christmas sales. Really. The worst stuff will show up.

4)Why wasn't someone, somewhere, making a fuss about these visitors taking everything they want from their city and only line of defense against the Wraith? Isn't it like gunpoint-trading fur pelts for trinkets?

It's a feudal system of sorts. Might makes right. The villagers complain, they get blown up. Ouch.

5) When is McKay going to develop some people skills?

When pigs fly

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose

I have no doubts given the timeslot and general 'feel' of SGA that cutting straight to the next morning was to imply they had sex. They so did it. But the...*I never see these things coming* PLEASE! Blind Freddy could see it and this guy is our Military Leader.

Baldric, ROFLMAO that was priceless glad McKay got to say it.
                        I'm not sure why we're so quick to think that Sheppard is so keen for a tumble in the hay. While life in Atlantis isn't exactly a hippie commune, it'd be odd for Sheppard to be so eager to accept sexual favours, especially when he finds out that he's about as significant as a race horse. I just don't think he's ego will let him.
                        It's one thing to give in to the bottom half of your masculinity because a woman finds you attractive but it's another thing surrender it entirely because the same woman is only interested a gene that you have that switches things on. I would think that Sheppard would have much more self-respect than to allow himself to be used in such a calculated manner.
                        God forbid that a man can resist a naked woman... Are such men really such a rarity these days?
                        And then to lie about it to a woman that he purports to have a high degree of respect for... It confounds me... Sexual conquests and prowess aside... he didn't really need to tell Weir anything but he did... Could it be that he was trying to IMPRESS her with his self-restraint...
                        Maybe...
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I can't believe this episode didn't answer the most obvious question it presented. After a year of buildup to the mysterious "Lost City of the Ancients" in SG-1, more time dedicated to it in the Season 8 opener, its significance becoming even clearer and clearer with each progressive SG-1 and SG-A episode.....WHY THE HELL IS THERE A CITY IDENTICAL TO ATLANTIS ON SOME BACKWATER ROCK IN PEGASUS?
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
                            Question to those who saw the episode:

From what I have read, they have now discovered a city, which appears to be identical to Atlantis (minus the gate)........so is there not the slightest concern, or mention of concern, in this episode that the wraith might now find the defensless city and take the "star drive" travel information and other technology from this city??? I mean, earlier this season the idea of completely destroying Atlantis to prevent its technology from falling into wraith hands was the prime issue. Now, they are totally abandoning what appears to be an identical city with very possibly that same technology.....does that make sense? ....or am I missing something in the reviews?
                            I suspect that during the commercial break, Beckett innoculated a whole ton of people and now half of 'em or 48% or whatever, can run the control chair; therefore, the tower won't be defenseless. However, I suspect the place could easily self-implode with the villagers saying hey, we're just like you twits in the bad outfits, so out! I see a bad version of a Dr. Seuss tale about to happen....

Comment

Originally posted by Domesticated Equine

EDIT: I re-read your post and noticed you mentioned the lack of the stargate. Yes, they're basically leaving all the technology necessary for reaching Earth on the planet. Maybe they're gambling on the wraith not coming to the planet again, not finding the city, being unable to power up the star drive and not being able to gain any useful knowledge from the city. Nice to see they're not taking the fate of our home galaxy lightly.

However, when Zelenka was going over the whole self-destruct demo with Weir he said that the self-destruct alone would not be enough. The wraith could salvage what was left from the ocean floor and use reverse engineering to figure out how to modify their engines to reach Earth, so I don't think powering up the systems is necessarily an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                                Shouldn't they have destroyed the city? I mean, like totally obliterated it. If the wraith ever came there, They'd be able to pull the database, or maybe even dig up some of the Star Drive's components.....

You couldn't use Zelenka's virus. There have got to be massive sections of the city that are totally disconnected from any central power/command controls, and the Ancient Database backs itself up to a LOT of places. You'd need a really big explosion. The database is probably even more dangerous than the drive itself.

Oh, and how did Rodney get out? I'm suprised that these cities don't have more transporters lying around that they could have used.
                                Wait! Are you telling me that there were things that we could've jacked in this episode and we didn't? Why didn't The Daedalus just beam up everything in there? Was it even in the episode?

Best Stargate quote:
                                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                                Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X