The Tower (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merlin7
    I'm going to pop in and say WORD. I enjoyed it for the same reasons.

Also loved the Shep and Beckett moments. I like when JF and Paul work together.

I like Ronon killing that guard that wanted to rape the girl.

I loved the Shep and Otho moments, the two actors worked well off each other.

And I loved the Shep and weir moment at the end. I'm a Shep and Weir Friends/leader Shipper and I thought it was a nice moment. Short, but nice.
    Ditto!
    This episode wasn't the deepest or the greatest story I've seen on screen by any means. For me the episode was enjoyable on a shallow level, a bit of fluff - I was simply entertained without having to think too much about it. I can live with that from time to time.
    I too giggled at some bits, especially the scene with Mara baring all - and I thought I was going to cringe at that and be appalled, but I wasn't as I saw it as a humorous scene, not to be taken seriously. JF's facial expressions had me in stitches too!
    I thought Peter Woodward was brilliant here, and that the casting of him as Otho was very astute.
    I was surprised by Ronon's violence in a way, as it was quick, efficient and brutal. Yet surely that is the best way to eliminate someone who is going to harm an innocent person?. That's what soldier's do, isn't it? Doesn't mean I have to like it, but if you kill an adversary then they can't kill you or hurt others again.
    I still would have liked to have watched an episode about the ancient city, where I learned more about the actual city itself, and the interaction of it with those with the gene, but maybe that episode is for Season 3?
    For me the best thing about this episode is that I wasn't bored when watching it, whereas I was with last week's one. I was entertained here.
    sigpic

Comment

i havent seen it but i think they need to make it an episode on its own rather than just using it to clear up a few things, like shepherd as kirk and the loss of the jumpers and drones. maybe the people from the planet could have had writings that told of something important or maybe they accidentally found something about their city. anything to make it an interesting episode

Comment

Up to now we understood that there was Atlantis, it left Earth, went to Pegasus, and eventually had to be abandoned.

Seems there's a bit more to the story?

An entire DUPLICATE of Atlantis?

Built on Earth, or after the Ancients got to Pegasus?

Fleet of city-ships leaving Earth for another galaxy?

Maybe for SEVERAL other galaxies?

More than just the two in Pegasus?

Why did the Wraith apparently not conquer the one in "The Tower", with it continuing to defend itself for eons, when they all but conquered Atlantis and it had to be sunk?

Are there any OTHER duplicate cities in Pegasus?

And how's about the "other galaxies" question?

This opens up SO many possibilities for more stores on both Stargate series!

Comment

I would like to think that there are more cities, but it would get old fast, as for the Wraith not conquering it, well it wasnt near the gate, the main population was far from there, so the Wraith wouldnt find it.
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by ECN
            This opens up SO many possibilities for more stores on both Stargate series!
            Yes it does....so how about you think about it, read ALL the other threads on this subject, be happy no one grrd at you for spoiling those who not seen The Tower, (just incase) and, well...yea. thats all
            Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
              Yes it does....so how about you think about it, read ALL the other threads on this subject, be happy no one grrd at you for spoiling those who not seen The Tower, (just incase) and, well...yea. thats all

Instead, might I suggest YOU read every single thread in every forum before posting about ANYTHING?

I posted this in the "General" forum, saw nothing else like it, and the mods moved it here.

I have no control over that.

Please be informed before correcting people.

Otherwise, I'll tell everyone about you being an agent for a shipful of Ori-controlled Wraith, each carrying Goauld symbiotes.

THAT'LL show you.

Comment

You posted in Gen Disc with a WHOPPING HUGE spoiler in the subject line.

And if you're looking for discussions about Atlantis Season 2 episodes, then you might try looking in the Atlantis Season Two folder. Granted, the episodes section can be easy to overlook, but at least it will put you in the right territory.

As for the city in The Tower, it was a plot device, that's all. I doubt the producers gave it much more thought than, "We need a way to restock our drones and jumpers!"

Comment

Anyone else find it strange that in the tower there was only 1 zpm and it was almost depleted. if the city normally uses 3 zpm and we know the locals didnt know jack about the city. Then were are the other 2 zpms. Also, if the only thing the 1 zpm was being used for was firing drones, then why is it so depleted? I can believe that atlantis or the sister city could hold so many drones that it would drain a zpm before the drones would run out.

Comment

Well, we don't know the history of the city. For all we know the other 2 ran out a long time ago (due to the shields being hammered by the Wraith?), so when these new guys showed up, they removed the depleted ones, and left the one that was still semi-charged.

Over the next few hundred years, they used it up.

Comment

I've just been watching Lost City part 2 from SG-1 and noticed that the outpost that the team visits on Proclarush Taeonas is very very similar to the one that we found in Antarctica, so i was wondering...the sister city to Atlantis in The Tower, did it originally lift off from Taeonas?? Just a theory views guys??
                      I'm sorry but am I the only one who appreciates how totally screwed we really are!?

Rodney you destroyed 3 quaters of a solar sytem!
                      5 sixths, look it's not an exact science
                      Do you ever give your ego a rest?!

Maybe my mind just conjoured you up for one last romp before i die
                      *raises eyebrow*
                      Ok, ok one first romp

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi:
                        If I'd have blinked I'd have missed the whole scene where Mara de-robed. Did Sheppard Kirk? In my opinion, no. I don't believe he slept with her. He wouldn't have gone to a senior political figure (Otho) the next day and said people had got the wrong opinion of him otherwise, and talked about Mara coming to his room...
                        With or without the previews, and Sheppard's relationship factors, I think the whole problem of the complaints were focused more on Mara than the rest of the story - potentially because of what TPTB might say after reading all the postings on it:
                        Originally posted by SGalisa:
                        ...then TPTB might say:
                        "oh nevermind- it's probably how Shep reacted initially anyway that pushed the existing idea into hyper-overdrive and sent the rest of everything else about this episode into a forgotten blur."
                        again: noting just for proper perspective here...
                        Originally posted by SGalisa:
                        I for one, am against female actresses being either forced or coerced into exploiting more of their skin, than in just a bikini on TV in general. I know of an aspiring (and bodily *attractive*) actress, who has to deal with this sort of problem, and could be taken advantage of so wrongly. So, it's closer to my heart than just throwing words on a bunch of these web pages.

Stargate has had 3 instances where topless females were shown...
                        Viewers only saw their backs. The cast/crew on the set saw everything else!
                        Originally posted by kymeric:
                        Thats how it is, they have to sell themselves to what the studio wants. I had a friend in college who modeled and tried the go to california thing not realizing beautiful people are a dime a dozen. Shes a secretary now! ;-)
                        I (too) worked with someone who modeled for some girly "biker" babe magazine, during her teen years, and later went in the medical industry. She shared some disturbing insights and told us how certain parts of her body were "pushed" and manipulated with padding (and how it was applied to) to make her look above and beyond what she really was. She seemed more like a Tomboy temperament type, so we just couldn't picture her doing a biker babe photo as a "lusty Lucy".

Somehow, I don't think the *real* controversy has been touched yet...
                        (read very last paragraph in this post)
                        Originally posted by FallenAngelII:
                        That's a very crappy attitude. "Women can't be bashful when doing TV, especially when they're being stripped by men"?
                        Well, of course it's bad, but on who's part? TPTB or the actor/actress? It's also bad when the sentence is taken out of context! It was a sarcastic comment in light of what it was referring to (in other words, it was sad to think that this seems to be a common *pre-requisite* for acting jobs on what might be termed as otherwise good quality programs).

To re-clarify: the script required Apophis to look for a suitable host for his wife, and so his male servants did that to Shau're, so the female Goa'uld could gloat. It's bad enough going thru rehearsals dealing with and hearing any snide little comments (and the obvious whistles especially from the guys) over these sorts of scenes; and when it goes live to film, it's worse because it seems to be a requirement for *beautiful* people to bare more than just their soul, anymore.

Geeze, after seeing the very first SG-1 ep, I didn't think very highly of SG, because it had to prove itself after those supposedly non*bashful* scenes. When Stargate began, that wasn't what I expected to see on my TV, except it originally came from the Showtime TV channel, which is notorius for airing that sort of stuff.

After that introductory 2-parter, I wondered why "someone out there" feels it's necessary to go that route at all. But the SG series calmed down (censor-wise) and sort of redeemed itself for most of the remaining first six seasons. So I thought that might be the end of it, until Daniel Jackson returned in SG-1's intro scene of Season 7 with
                        Spoiler:
                        nothing more than a smile on his face...!

Sci-Fi's SG "Lowdown" rumors started it: a nekkid Daniel...?? oh my!
                        Originally posted by FallenAngelII:
                        So women have to strip down and do full frontals while men don't? I demand the Men of Stargate do it!
                        We don't need to stoop that low to get viewers.
                        be careful what goes into *demand* - Daniel Jackson's character may have already inadvertently opened those doors...! It was obvious what Daniel's storyline context symbolized; but I dreaded seeing it, because I couldn't avoid thinking if some sort of trend was beginning by resorting back to season 1 "Children of the Gods" filming for-a-storyline tactics...(my hubby was also watching entire Sci-Fi low-down and 7th season opener at the time, too!! His reason was built on curiosity over the series, itself.) And Sam's
                        Spoiler:
                        morphing from the wall
                        got added to this same *ut-oh!* list in Season 8, SG-1.

Somehow, I really don't think Mara's controversial Tower scene is the norm of SG. (Unless there was a joke in there about locking Shep up in a tower, by some desperate females...something I read several months back on the whump or thump topics...)

However, I am extremely concerned about viewers being conditioned into expecting these types of scenes, if/when the Wraith ever decide to "feed" from female humans. I thought this was hinted at from day 1 of SGA, after Col.Sumner got fed on, and as a result - find the whole Wraith feeding storyline very horrific in more ways than one. Yes, there are reasons for some of these scenes, but there's also a limit, or is there?
                        Last edited by SGalisa; 16 February 2006, 08:31 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

who knows but plausible theory.

maybe every planet with an outpost had a city there

Comment

Aaaaaaah! Another ******* French revolution! When will it end?

So the whole purpose of the self-destruct for Atlantis in The Siege was to prevent the Wraith from getting the Ancient Stardrive, making it impossible to get to Earth, yet they have now left the French Atlantis (Yes, I named it!) without defenses or a ZPM, but as far as we know, their Stardrive is intact, right? So whats to stop the Wraith from taking the French Stardrive and taking a trip to Earth? Hmmm?
                            Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

The natives of the other Atlantis said that Wraith have not visited the planet for generations. By this point, the Wraith have probably given up on ever gaining the upper hand against this city and may have already forgotten it exists.
                              SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Sounds good to me.

McKay: It turns out it is just ike the Outpost on Earth.
                                Weir: So what you are saying is it is like a landing pod for Atlantis.
                                McKay: Something like that.
                                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                                X