The Tower (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
    It's fundamentally impossible to regard it as a classic one off episode.

Simply because the whole concept of the episode was to reveal a another 'Atlantis'.. Considering the whole premise of the show was finding the lost city of the Ancients. Then you don't just use it as a plot device to give an easy way to restock the PJ's & Drones in a world of Shakespearian rejects.

Atlantis is special because it was supposed to be a lost city. You don't introduce another one, then leave it there. Why didn't the Wraith keep coming back. Why didn't they ever take or find the city after all those years. What are they going to do with it now, not leave it alone for the Wraith to come across etc, etc.

In my opinion the second worst Atlantis episode ever, just behind 'Epiphany'.
    Since when in the history of the world did anyone build something so great and useful just once. If there is one then there is another.
    Loved It.
    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Simply because the whole concept of the episode was to reveal a another 'Atlantis'.. Considering the whole premise of the show was finding the lost city of the Ancients. Then you don't just use it as a plot device to give an easy way to restock the PJ's & Drones in a world of Shakespearian rejects.
      the city of Atlantis was "lost" to Earth culture, not to the Pegasus galaxy. huge difference.

Comment

Well, I saw the ep long before I saw SCIFI's ad for it, so that didn't color my viewing of it. It just meant I hated it twice as much when I did see the ad.

As for the scene played as a comedy... frankly, to me it just means that they're playing off Shep's behavior as being amusing and approving of the "light-hearted" manner in which he beds the girl. Who needs love or romance when you can just have sex instead? *boom chicka-chicka*

Comment

The best part about The Tower is that it shows that the writers are trying to plan ahead, if only a bit. Instead of having an inexhaustable amount of drones and Jumpers, no matter how many get used/destroyed, they're showing that even the A-Team has to resupply every now and then.

As for the A-plot of the show involving Mara and the gene... ugh, not for me.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
            Wow, an episode where the characters end up with less than what they were initially promised? I'm sure that this is the first time this has happened in SGA, ever. Unless, of course, you're referring to:
            • Poisoning the Well
            • Home
            • Sanctuary
            • Trinity
            • Aurora
            • Epiphany
            • Grace Under Pressure
            • Coup D'etat
            • Allies

Probably because the Wraith simply gave up on it after the first few attacks, and after they concluded that the number of . Why did the Wraith simply leave Atlantis for those 10,000 years that the city was submerged?

The Wraith don't know that sister city is depleted. And since there is no stargate to Earth, there is no reason to send a few hive ships to their death for the sake of a few hundred people.
            Why would the Wraith have possibly given up on it? Take Atlantis, they were beseiged for years. No matter what the Wraith kept coming back & back. Until they were forced to abandon it. Considering the fact that it was manned by actual ancients, who could replace Drones & ZPM's etc. It's totally unrealistic for them to have simply left it along for 10,000 years. Considering that they can deplete ZPM's in a matter of days by using their weapons on it. Then since the sister city, will have only had a very limited supply of Drones. Which those in the tower didn't even know about anyhow. So if the Wraith kept coming, then the ZPM powering it will have been depleted in a matter of days & all the Drones will have been used up in their attacks. The city is theirs!

For the last statements, how do you know exactly that there isn't any SG on it, it could have simply been positioned in another part of the city. Besides the coordinates is just one part of the equation. They would then need a means of getting there, which would be where the Star Drive would come into play.

Since when in the history of the world did anyone build something so great and useful just once. If there is one then there is another.
            Loved It.
            Are you talking about the real world or the fictional SG universe.

What about Dakara for a start! Then real life, how about when car manufacturers create all their prototype cars at great expense for R&D, then never actually put the model into production.

the city of Atlantis was "lost" to Earth culture, not to the Pegasus galaxy. huge difference.
            Where exactly did I say it wasn't lost to Earth's culture. I said the whole premise of the show is Atlantis. Hence Stargate: Atlantis, Not Stargate: Pegasus. See the difference!

Comment

I really enjoyed it. Yet again, I like Peter Woodward (Otho).

The sadist part of the story was when he became the bad guy and was killed... would have been nice to have him as a recurring guest star.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Who needs love or romance when you can just have sex instead? *boom chicka-chicka*
                Damnit. You made me spit my coffee all over my desk.

Even without the "hawt babez!" plot, the episode was still completely dull for me.

I think they probably were trying to downplay Shep's dalliance as a comedy scene. If they wanted comedy though, they could have settled for Ronan slipping on a banana peel. That would have been far more entertaining and quite frankly, far more well written.

Comment

Wow, an episode where the characters end up with less than what they were initially promised? I'm sure that this is the first time this has happened in SGA, ever:.
                  What are you talking about. Are you being sarcastic. Because at the beginning McKay wanted to leave becasue their was no reason to be their.
                  Then when they do leave, they leave with some jumpers and drones. Sounds like a come up ep. to me. So were is the less then we were initially promised.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                    Why would the Wraith have possibly given up on it? Take Atlantis, they were beseiged for years. No matter what the Wraith kept coming back & back. Until they were forced to abandon it. Considering the fact that it was manned by actual ancients, who could replace Drones & ZPM's etc. It's totally unrealistic for them to have simply left it along for 10,000 years.
                    Because 10,000 years ago, they had a choice between dividing their efforts on two cities, or focusing all their effects on just one. They decided to forcus all their efforts in just one.

Considering that they can deplete ZPM's in a matter of days by using their weapons on it.
                    Not without taking down a few hive ships before they do. And for all that effort, what exactly would the Wraith get in return? I seriously doubt that the other city represented a major threat in terms of scientists, we have no reason to believe that they have a stargate capable of going to Earth, and the population for that area doesn't seem any bigger than any other planet.

The Wraith had a good thing going on with 10,000 years of cullings without any high tech interference. Why should they go out of their way to let themselves be attacked for such a meager reward?

Then since the sister city, will have only had a very limited supply of Drones. Which those in the tower didn't even know about anyhow. So if the Wraith kept coming, then the ZPM powering it will have been depleted in a matter of days & all the Drones will have been used up in their attacks. The city is theirs!
                    First off, the wraith don't know how much power or drones the tower has. In fact, they still don't. Secondly, the city is almost completely destroyed. Why would they want it?

The wraith have a way of abandoning things. For instance, they never came back to investigate the lab in "Trinity." They never checked for wreckage after Atlantis was "destroyed." They sent a few ship

For the last statements, how do you know exactly that there isn't any SG on it, it could have simply been positioned in another part of the city.
                    Because John and Co. somehow managed to travel to that world without knowing about the tower. Logic dictates that the stargate for this planet must be located in an insecure area placed somewhere other than in city itself.

Besides the coordinates is just one part of the equation. They would then need a means of getting there, which would be where the Star Drive would come into play.
                    And in the 10,000 years during which the city wasn't attacked, they didn't even know that there was an Earth to begin with. Hence, no reason to ruin a good thing. Regardless, all the star drives in the world are useless without the co-ordinates.

Where exactly did I say it wasn't lost to Earth's culture. I said the whole premise of the show is Atlantis. Hence Stargate: Atlantis, Not Stargate: Pegasus. See the difference!
                    You're both wrong:

JONAS: "Ha, ha. The lost city..." (Hammond sits and looks quizzically at Jonas as he walks around to the front of the General's desk.) "...on the tablet."

SAM: "You found it?"

JONAS: "Yeah, only it's not the lost city. That never made sense to me anyway. I mean, t-t-the tablet is written in ancient. How could they lose one of their own cities? And even if they did, why would they call it the lost city? They wouldn't. They would call it by it's name, right?"

HAMMOND: "Mr. Quinn..."

JONAS: "It's not the lost city. It's the city of the lost."

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                      What are you talking about. Are you being sarcastic.
                      Yes. Unfortunately, these boards won't let me make rolly eye motions to make that apparent.

Comment

Yes. Unfortunately, these boards won't let me make rolly eye motions to make that apparent.
                        Uh yup, they do. This is about the closest emoticon for sarcasm In fact, he says "rolls eyes"

Comment

If there is 1 other atlantis replica how many more is there? and if the atlantis shield was so powerfull and there is more ancient citys why did they lose the war

Comment

My question is if there are more Atlantis's why weren't there other myths about the other cities? Since there is more than one city, how do they know that the city they reside in is actually atlantis, but another outpost, but just larger in size? It is an interesting question but we all know they are in Atlantis because in the first episode I think that ancient holigram said that it was Atlantis. Interesting thought tho (that there might be a bigger and better ancient city out there which there is a possibility that the ancient built bigger cities since there are more than one "Atlantis"-like city).

Ronon Dex Devil
                            Sig made by my good friend, Sarah.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessima
                              My question is if there are more Atlantis's why weren't there other myths about the other cities? Since there is more than one city, how do they know that the city they reside in is actually atlantis, but another outpost, but just larger in size? It is an interesting question but we all know they are in Atlantis because in the first episode I think that ancient holigram said that it was Atlantis. Interesting thought tho (that there might be a bigger and better ancient city out there which there is a possibility that the ancient built bigger cities since there are more than one "Atlantis"-like city).
                              That would be cool.....Especialy if they were in a junior atlantis city and they find the king sized origional some were

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X