Grace Under Pressure (214)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I wanted more "city mobilizes to save McKay" stuff. He's so convinced that no one is smart enough to save him (and I suspect he thinks/thought no one would bother) that it would have been nice to see him proven wrong a little more thoroughly. Yeah, we get a brief scene of the scientists putting their heads together to narrow the search and Shep got the boys from the machine shop to cobble together a boiler tank- I mean, a puddle jumper that could go under water (sorry, wandered off to Surface for a minute), but I wanted MORE of that kind of stuff. And more of the nameless faceless people of the city coming together to save that petty, arrogant, not-good-with-people scientist. Oh, and of course, the Tea Service of Impending Doom from the Athosians.
    HA! I can see it now...

Random scientist #73 runs up to Teyla, who is talking with fellow Athosian #26.

Scientist: "Dr. McKay is trapped in a puddlejumper that is sinking and probably filling with water!"

Teyla (calmly turns to the Athosian): "Bring me...THE TEAPOT!!"

An aside, did anyone else hope to catch a glimpse of Kusanagi when they panned around the team of scientists on Atlantis? That would have been a great cameo.

Comment

Okay, played with a cap of my own there to lighten it a bit in Photoshop...
      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

It would've been, especially since she's in my fic. Dammit.

Anyway, I'm a HORRIBLE FAN!! COMPLETELY REMISS! Forgot to rhapsodize the glories of David Hewlett and his phenomenal acting abilities! Yes! I don't think this ep would have been anywhere near as good without him. I still think he's one of the best things to happen to the Stargate franchise. On either show.

Of course, some of the other actors could be good, too, but they're rarely given a chance to showcase their talents. *sigh* Still, doesn't change the fact that Hewlett is freakin AWESOME, if you'll excuse this meek little fangirl for saying so.

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate

Also, we get to see the PJs underwater, which was really cool though i thought the windscreen cracked a bit too early (doesn't have a problem with space, but a 'mere' 1000 feet of pressure cracks it ?).
          I'll let Futurama handle this:

Leela: Depth at 45 hundred feet, 48 hundred, 50 hundred! 5000 feet!

Farnsworth: Dear Lord, that's over 150 atmospheres of pressure.

Fry: How many atmospheres can this ship withstand?

Farnsworth: Well it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one.
          And according to my calculations, at 1000 feet, there is around 30 atm, which is more than 1.

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate
            Also, we get to see the PJs underwater, which was really cool though i thought the windscreen cracked a bit too early (doesn't have a problem with space, but a 'mere' 1000 feet of pressure cracks it ?).
            There is no pressure in space, it's a vacuum... so a 'mere' 1000 feet of pressure is infinitely greater pressure than pressure in normal vacuum space...

Edited to say that it's not technically infinitely greater pressure because it can be contested that there is no perfect vacuum in space at any point (As far as we know) but the idea is still similar.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
              I'll let Futurama handle this:

And according to my calculations, at 1000 feet, there is around 30 atm, which is more than 1.
              Well, I assume because the ship was not crushed on the High-Grav world Stumbos 4, that it would be able to take more than 1 atmosphere.

I was thinking the exact same thing though

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                HA! I can see it now...

Scientist: "Dr. McKay is trapped in a puddlejumper that is sinking and probably filling with water!"

Hahaha! Holy... wow... Ha... Heh... Heh. Phew! Now THAT makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                  McKay fans will have a ball; non-fan McKay fans may recoil.
                  There are non McKay fans? Really? That explains a lot.

And yes, in Epiphany, there was a definite sense of urgency. I wonder if the sense of urgency wasn't so much there this time because perhaps they ASSUMED (tsk tsk) that the rear compartment had a LOT of air in it. How were they to know it was leaking and McKay was arguing with his pink-clad hallucination?
                  Yes again no feel for the urgency you would have expected they knew or guessed or whatever Scientist do, that if the windscreen was cracking under such little pressure that the back might start leaking or something as the pressure continued to mount the deeper the PJ went. Of course it is usually Rodney that has the greatest sense of urgency in these matters so maybe that's why.
                  Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Anyway, I'm a HORRIBLE FAN!! COMPLETELY REMISS! Forgot to rhapsodize the glories of David Hewlett and his phenomenal acting abilities! Yes! I don't think this ep would have been anywhere near as good without him. I still think he's one of the best things to happen to the Stargate franchise. On either show.

Of course, some of the other actors could be good, too, but they're rarely given a chance to showcase their talents. *sigh* Still, doesn't change the fact that Hewlett is freakin AWESOME, if you'll excuse this meek little fangirl for saying so.
                  I agree, yes DH is awesome, but again if you don't like McKay you probably missed just how good he was, I wont go on I have done that elsewhere!

Comment

I absolutely loved Grace Under Pressure! Yes, I may live in the US, but I have my ways into watching it *evil grin*

I love seeing a wet McKay
                    sigpic

Comment

Hewlett was once again fantastic. I was almost disappointed when Sam turned up. I would have liked to have seen how well David coped with holding the whole episode on his own.

Nice development, which I'm sure isn't coincidental (especially if Gero wrote this episode): Radek has started with the "No-no-no-no-no-no" and "Wait-wait-wait-wait-wait" that Rodney so frequently does. No doubt he's picked it up from working with him so much. Cute!

Comment

The redshirt tomato guy was great, usually with redshirts you dont feel shocked when they die but I was like

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                          HA! I can see it now...
                          Haha, that's great! Have some green!
                          Oh and this is even funnier when one reads it as a McKay thunker, cause we know that our thunk has a secret obsession with teapots...
                          ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                          ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

i have the "tomato" thing a lot at work. being the only person at my work who goes to uni, and doing politics, somehow gives people the idea that they *might* be a bit sparter than me in my field. So, when people say to me: "Oh, you know that Iraq was just over oil?" i think i'm entitled to beat them over the head with the baka (idiot) stick and say "tell me something i didnt know."

AS for rodney, all good. Once more, a great performance, i love his little "no, no, no, no , no" thing, so cute. Too bad we didnt see more of how they got BACK to the surface, with only a smidge of power left and all. >_< Sheppard's so clever. And after all that cable modding, they might not have used it. >_< groan.

The whale, a bit cliche. Although, one wonders if it will make another appearance and if it is friendly. coincides with Surface showing on Aus tv. -_-

And of course, Amanda. She cannot go without say. After all, she got her munga jungas out and despite the cold water, it was hot.

Join the Neko Rebellion!!
                            http://sgr.hl2files.com

Comment

Originally posted by neko138
                              And of course, Amanda. She cannot go without say. After all, she got her munga jungas out and despite the cold water, it was hot.
                              Haha, thank you I needed a laugh "munga jungas" is that what the kids are calling 'em these days?

YES! I forgot about Amanda how remiss, she was as always brilliant, gorgeous and game. Love Amanda.

Comment

Hi all,

Love reading all your comments and thoughts. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was who came up with the idea of a telephathic willy the whale but oh wow, I like it! Maybe if Martin Gero reads your idea, he might like it enough to incorporate something into S3??? Actually, I was wondering if Willy was telepathic and sensed Rodney's distress myself .

Actually David and Paul mentioned Willy at a con and I thought they meant they saw a real whale not some alien whale in the episode!

Prior to seeing this epi, I honestly did not know what to expect because I read too much gossip and criticisms about David/Rodney beforehand but like Epiphany, I was extremely and pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Not my no.1 fave epi but definitely up there in the top 5.

I don't think there is anything I can add that hasn't already been said...

Like Shadow, I just gotta say this (and I know the non-McKay fans are going to roll their eyes and hate me!) but damnit, David Hewlett was fantastic! I was afraid that he'd be too anxious or too OTT but he wasn't. He created a good balance of emotions and actions... and I noticed he uh moaned and made those little sounds that Rodney likes to do, quite a bit.

And it showed us a little more of Rodney, his vulnerabiility which I thought was very touching. I liked the bit where he concedes to pink-Sam that he treated Griffin pretty bad. I suppose it showed us all that Rodney (underneath all that caustic wit) does care...

Sam too was fantastic, even though she was only a pink hallucination. I thought Amanda looked very gorgeous (as always!). I am not a shipper but I loved Sam and Rodney and I loved the kiss and well, everything. I laughed at many of the scenes and all I could think of was, damn it Martin Gero, you're hillarious!

Radek/David Nykl was absolutely fantastic too. I'm happy to see more of him and even happier that he got some interaction with John. He's like a nice Rodney, not as snarky but capable of snarking. He and John make a good team, I think.

John... oh wow, I really love him taking charge of the modifications to the jumper or the equipment making whatever. I just liked his determination and how there was no doubt in his mind that he'd be the one doing the rescuing. This is why I love Sheppard - he's so fiercely and intensely loyal, not to mention he has great hair!

I thought it was interesting how he said he could order Radek to go into the jumper with him... I always thought the scientists didn't answer to the military or John and he can order Rodney around is only when they are on team missions... I'd love to see if Rodney would listen to him if Weir wasn't around! I doubt it!

The other thing I noticed was that Griffin (ok besides the fact that I was thinking of Cliff from Cheers not just because of the mo but also with all the tomatoes and comments etc) was that he was wearing the Daedalus uniform. I surmised Caldwell must still be recovering... and maybe the Deddy is staying a bit longer. I thought it was nice to see a Deddy crewman on Atlantis/mainland. And it was nice to have a member of the military who actually talks back and not just grunts or stays in the background. Pity he had to die - it just constantly cracks me up how everyone who comes into contact with Rodney just takes him in their stride and kinda just puts up with his comments. Maybe they all get briefed by John/Caldwell - "Uh, listen fellas, there's Dr McKay..."

Well, I think those are my thoughts for now. They probably are repeats of others but I did try to read everything and not be too repetitive...

If SGA keeps giving us all these excitement, I can't wait for the Tower next!

Comment

Working...
                                X