No announcement yet.

Grace Under Pressure (214)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m actually trying to eat dinner, make screencaps and watch the episode again at the same time, and now I will also try to write this summary some people on other threads requested. I won’t go into every detail though, and I apologize for any mistakes:

Summary "Grace under pressure"
    (Oh, I just realize that 'pressure' is a double entendre in this ep)

McKay and a pilot named Griffins are in a Puddle Jumper, returning home from the mainland. They are testing the PJ because it was damaged and had been repaired. The pilot talks about a lot of meaningless stuff (tomatoes for example), getting on McKay’s nerve because he’s trying to work. Suddenly something goes wrong, McKay tried to figure out what the problem is, but it’s too late. The PJ gets down, crashes into the water and starts to sink. --> Opening credits
    McKay’s regains consciousness. He gets up from the ground, and one can see that he has a bleeding head wound. Griffins is also injured but alive. Zelenka is talking to McKay via radio. He was obviously trying to contact them for some time now after the PJ vanished from the city’s sensors. Together they establish that they are in trouble, because they are under water - and still sinking. But soon there’s another problem. The windshield cracks. McKay and Griffins try to get into the rear compartment of the jumper, but they can’t close the bulkhead door. McKay blames Griffins that he got them into this mess, and while he does so, Griffins goes back to the front part of the jumper, wishes McKay good luck and seals the door with the front controls. Shortly after that Rodney hears that the windshield breaks. Griffin is dead. (This scene is really pretty intense!) Rodney goes into panic mode soon after. The radio is dead because the transmitter was in the front compartment. Rodney desperately tries to get his claustrophobia under control.
    In Atlantis they discuss a possible rescue, but first they have to locate the jumper. Zelenka’s starting to work on that with a team. Sheppard has the idea to lift the jumper with special equipment and has a team working on that. He wants to submerge another jumper for that, something he and Rodney obviously wanted to try for a long time.
    Meanwhile Rodney has calmed down in the still sinking jumper. He talks to himself a lot in the following scenes while he tries to think of a way to send a message or slow down the rate in which the ship is sinking. He also addresses the jumper as if it was a person when he discovers that he only has about 3 hours of energy left if he boosts up the transmitter signal and raises the temperature in the jumper. Soon it seems as if he’s slowly losing it, he’s talking to himself, half crying, half laughing. Then he hears something outside, it sounds like a whale, and he talks to it too, jokingly telling the animal to tell his friends where he is. This triggers the idea to move the jumper like a submarine. He starts to work on that. After some time Sam Carter appears (in a pink jacket, the zipper very low…). Rodney can’t believe it at first when she tells him that she’s only a hallucination, but she explains that this is caused by his head wound. She’s denying Rodney the romping he’s hoping for, and together they start working on the problem to get the jumper to move.
    Radek has narrowed down the area in which they have to search but fears the jumper’s too deep already. Sheppard suggests to turn the cloak of another PJ into a shield, just the other way round as they did with the city (in the last episode). Zelenka thinks it’s possible, and John wants to start with the search. He wants Zelenka to come with him. Radek’s objecting since he obviously fears this and says that he cannot even swim, but finally he decides to come along.
    Sam tries to convince Rodney not to continue with his plan so that he doesn’t jeopardize the rescue mission. She wants him to wait and to trust his friends to come to help him. Rodney doesn’t want to stop working. He doesn’t think they are planning his rescue but rather his memorial service. And he can’t believe that his own hallucination/subconscious is trying to convince him to ‘give up’ and slow him down. Suddenly the jumper hits the bottom of the ocean. Micro fractures in the hull let water through, which is rising quickly. Sam tells Rodney to increase the air pressure to slow down the leaking. Rodney does, and it works. He hugs Sam, saying that if she’s his hallucination she could at least lose her top! Rodney also admits that he always wanted to work together with Sam and that they’d make a good team, although he’s arrogant and bad with people. And he also states that Sam might be physically attracted to him, but she switches the topic then. Rodney continues to work on a way to control the jumper from his workpad and tells Sam to be quiet if she doesn’t want to help. Sam states that this is the reason she could never have a relationship with him, because he never listens to other people and doesn’t trust him. Rodney asks how he should trust them, after all it was Zelenka’s fault that he’s trapped down here now, because Zelenka supervised the jumper repairs but didn’t dare to go on a test flight himself and asked Rodney to do it.
    Sheppard and Zelenka have started the mission and successfully submerge their jumper. They initialize the shield, but it needs a lot of power and they don’t have much time now to find the other PJ.
    Sam tries to distract Rodney so that he stops working. She gets rid of some of her clothes, suddenly standing in front of Rodney with only a bra on. They kiss a few times, until Rodney realizes that she’s only trying to slow him down. He gets back to work and tries to start the jumper, but it fails. He only wasted power, and the water’s rising again.
    Sheppard and Radek see the ‘sea monster’, obviously the whale Rodney heard before, on the sensor display. It circles around something, so they decide to search there.
    Inside of the jumper there isn’t much air left, the water is nearly at the ceiling. Rodney thinks about Griffin’s sacrifice and what a brave man he was compared to himself. Hypothermia is setting in and he nearly loses consciousness. Sam tells him to hold on. Rodney admits that he should have listened to Sam not to try to move the jumper. He states that she isn’t smarter than him but wiser, and Sam tells him that at least he was right subconsciously, since she is his subconscious.
    Zelenka and Sheppard find the jumper, but since it’s nearly full of water they can’t pull it up to the surface. They land and extend the shield so that it covers both jumpers. John walks out and contacts Rodney via radio, he wants him to open the hatch. But Rodney thinks this may just be another hallucination. Finally Sam convinces him that Sheppard is real. Rodney opens the door, but it doesn’t work, so he dives and uses the secondary release Sam reminds him of. The water leaves the jumper and Radek and John come in and help Rodney to get up. They walk through the tunnel the shield creates, the whale who helped them to find Rodney is circling above them. Then they sit Rodney down on the bench and hurry to the front department. In the moment the hatch closes Rodney looks to the wreckage and sees Sam standing there, waving goodbye.

Credits and end.

Bye, A.
    ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
    ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
      I wouldn't say AS good.. but AS funny, you know what I mean?
      A ha! Got ya! Excuse my denseness

Comedy + Zelenka + McKay + Sam -> perfect, I couldn't ask for more
      I can't wait to see it!

Whoa! Nice one! Arlessiar
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I loved this ep, it was very very good
        Amanda was beautiful and i loved when
        Spoiler:
        sam kiss rodney i like the sam/jack shipp but i loved this moment between rodney and sam.
        i appreciated a lot the submarine landscape, in the end when we saw a whale... beautiful. And when exchange a last glance... really moving

if somebody want i have extract and i made a vid:

extract
        Sam ?!
        Sam & Rodney
        Bye bye
        Why did youd it that??!!

my vid:

Grace Under Pressure
        musique: Hymn of the sea, James Horner

Comment

That episode impressed me. Why do I get the impression that the writers really love writing for McKay? DH completely rocked my socks, I love the way he does Crazy!McKay. I thought it was great when he was hopped up on the enzyme, but he was so much better as his delusional self. It was so realistic, the way he couldn't determine what was real and what wasn't.

CARTER! Just perfect with McKay, as always. If I wasn't already shipping them with other people, I'd totally lock those two up in a closet. Love how McKay naturally assumes he's God's gift to mankind... I thought his complex would wear off by now, but I'm so glad that it hasn't. *hearts*

The bra moment was a little too Battlestar Galactica... but so hilarious. Am I going crazy, or did he call her Lt Col Cylon? Never knew McKay had it in him to just GO at her like that. Wow, talk about pent up frustration. Yum.

I'm slightly annoyed by Zelenka! How coud he NOT jump at the chance to brave the ocean, risk his own life, and rescue Rodney? *pouts* Weir's reaction lacked some urgecy too... but Shep made up for most of it. I definitely got a warm/mushy feeling when he said 'Hey buddy' to McKay... then called for Rodney to open the door, all worried and concerned. *coughs* Sorry, slasher in me notices these things, I can't help it.

Random Caps:
          1 2 3 4 5
          Chleximpressed <--- by Kliggins

Comment

Okay, a lot of my major points have already been covered, so I'll add a few of my thoughts...

First of all, loved this ep. Loved the Rodney scenes in this one. Another homerun for David Hewlett. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: will someone please just give DH an Emmy?! His babbling and hallucinating was absolutely hilarious. Plenty of great Rodney lines that came out of this one! And I love that it was really him coming up with ideas all along, despite his insecurities.

I also like the discussion that "Carter" raised about Rodney's trust issues. I definitely think there's more here! The stuff about Rodney blaming Zelenka - I almost wonder if Zelenka wasn't blaming himself (not neccessarily correctly, mind you) as well, hence the hesitation in Weir's office.

In the end, though, I gotta ask this: does Atlantis have their own Flipper now? I hereby dub him Flipper, the Funky Atlantis Humpback Whale.

And if Atlantis needs a cetacean biologist, I volunteer!
            "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
            My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

SPOILERS...if you dont want spoilers, well then i'm not sure you're in the right thread.

I thought it was a good episode in terms of Mckay. DH had a chance to flex his endless acting skills and for that reason alone i wont completely slate the ep. It was also interesting to see how arrogant Mckay really is. He honestly believes that he is the only one who can save himself and gives the rest of the team no credit.
              I find that a little strange myself considering Shep is his friend. He knows how smart he is and that he has a 'dont leave men behind complex' If anything Shep would die trying to save him rather than not attempting it at all.
              So it was good, it was just....well.......I like Shep so I would have rather it had been Sheppard trapped under the water, (He's a pilot so he could have been flying the jumper when it went down) His hallucinations might have been better, you could haven angled (Water pun not intended) for some backstory, the whole left behind thing????? I dunno....i digress somewhat.
              ANd yes SGA is getting a case of SG1itous in the snese that they are cutting eps short and not giving us that crucial team bit/character bonding/I guess you didnt leave me behind/ etc etc bit at the end. It was the rather sudden, door closes...the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Chlex

The bra moment was a little too Battlestar Galactica... but so hilarious. Am I going crazy, or did he call her Lt Col Cylon? Never knew McKay had it in him to just GO at her like that. Wow, talk about pent up frustration. Yum. ]
                Hubs was pretty sure he said, "Lt Col Siren"... as in the "sirens" from the Odyssey...

"In Greek mythology, the Sirens or Seirenes (Greek Σειρῆνας) were Naiads (sea nymphs) who lived on an island called Sirenum scopuli which was surrounded by cliffs and rocks. Approaching sailors were drawn to them by their enchanting singing, causing them to sail on the cliffs and drown."
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                  Hubs was pretty sure he said, "Lt Col Siren"... as in the "sirens" from the Odyssey...
                  Siren! Yes, that makes way more sense than Cylon, or Simon... thanks Easter Lily.
                  Chleximpressed <--- by Kliggins

Comment

Damn was that a great episode, 2nd best of the season (behind Conversion takes the cake). I give it a **** (using GW's rating System.)

Carter in a bra, damn was that awesome.
                    Sam's comments about McKay were interesting.
                    Cool visual effects.

Man, I can't wait for Ripple Effect.

If SGA was on Showtime, some of McKay's words (at the beginning of the episode, after the crash) would have totally been changed. And I personally, would have given the green light for that.
                    sigpic

Comment

This episode was okay. It was interesting that Carter didn't really seem in character for me either. And okay, for her, that pink sweater with the zipper down is pretty provacative. And... pink? Anyway, like someone else said, that's okay because it wasn't really Carter, just his image of her.

I thought Weir teasing Sheppard about wanting to try the submersion thing felt a little out of place, but maybe she was just trying to keep the modd lighter.

I did prefer Critical Mass, just more going on. But I liked parts of this. I did really like the big whale part.

Comment

Lol I hope that some day they will make a REAL crossover episode with Sam. McKay will be all weird around her and she wouldn't know why, and they will fight over who's smarter again! It's as good as Daniel - Vala conversations! No wait, it's even better!
                        Last edited by Erised; 13 December 2005, 01:45 PM.

Comment

This episode was, in my opinion, strangely moving. Strange, because I didn't like the original Grace episode and watching this, I remember and realise why.
                          Rodney McKay is probably the best developed character on Atlantis and it seemed to me much more believable that he would be in such a situation and react the way he did. It is important that we see the best and worst of Rodney here... ranting and ravng... and yet when push comes to shove, he is not completely insensitive to the goodness all around him. David Hewlett, I think is brilliant enough to carry it through without it turning into a complete bore fest. But more importantly, the episode is much more concerned about survival, and showing Sheppard and Zelenka doing their darndest really eases any McKay overload.
                          As for the "moving" aspects... there were those little and unexpected acts of heroism: Griffin (I didn't think anybody could be as grating as Rodney) sacrificing himself and pushing Rodney into the rear compartment, Zelenka reluctantly consenting to go with Sheppard after Weir says to him, "If Rodney can't depend on you to help him, who can he depend on?" and Rodney, finally accepting the inevitable and facing death head on. I like the the fact that Sheppard would have ordered Zelenka to accompany him if it came to that. I like it when Sheppard finally made contact with Rodney at the end... he called him buddy. I also liked it that Rodney's Sam... the subconscious, always believed that he would be rescued.

The development that Rodney got here is what I think Sheppard should have got in Epiphany. He needed it far more... We've seen lots of angsty Rodney already this season... we really didn't NEED anymore but it's not to say that there weren't some priceless moments. There are parallels with Epiphany... characters trapped, characters in despair accompanied by attractive distractions. The difference in Grace Under Pressure was that the distraction had a purpose.

I liked Rodney's Sam Carter... she had the spark and vibrance (and even the snark) that Ascended female romantic interest of the week lacked.

Also this episode has shades of Thirty-Eight Minutes... in fact it has more in comon with that episode than with the original Grace. I don't have problems with people hallucinating as a result of trauma if done well. As for why Teyla and Ronon weren't there... I have a theory. They're probably on shore leave... Teyla keeping to Athosian tradition of a one month mourning period. Ronon tags along because he's into Athosian cuisine.

Several months ago, I asked Joe Mallozzi if we'd see water vessels on Atlantis and this must've been what he meant when he said, "Check out the second half of Season 2". I would love to see more of this kind of thing especially now we know that there's a sea monster swimming around. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the ocean in future episodes.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
                            The whale sounded like the Hump-back whale sound from Star Trek IV.

And don't worry, I uploaded the image to imageshack, right-clicking the pic and selecting properties will confirm this)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                              The whale sounded like the Hump-back whale sound from Star Trek IV.

And don't worry, I uploaded the image to imageshack, right-clicking the pic and selecting properties will confirm this)
                              I noticed that, as well. It sounded like the probe - not what a humpback would actually sound like underwater. It also had some of the basic physical characteristics of a humpback - very elongated pectoral flippers, the same general size (although going back to look this one was a bit larger) and body shape... hence the reason I called it a Funky Atlantis Humpback Whale.
                              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I'll do a full review later, but if I don't get my initial squee out I will explode from fangirl-ness.

I hearts McKay. I hearts McKay muchly. David Hewlett, you really need to stop being so awesome; it's distracting me from things that I would be criticizing otherwise (this may be why the writers give him so much stuff; us fangirling David = not paying attention to dropped plot points).

The hypoxia freak-out cut was very BSG. It was interesting, though; jarring and brought home how messed up things were inside McKay's head at that point.

Zelenka speaking in Czech always makes me happy, this time was no exception.

I'm kind of glad the writers didn't make Radek all gung-ho to rescue Rodney. He's a lab scientist, we've seen this before in "Duet". His initial reaction to this would be to give the job to someone who's done field-work and is good at it. The fact that he doesn't initially want to go makes it that much better when he bites the bullet after Elizabeth and John remind him that it's the right thing to do.
                                They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                                Spoiler:
                                Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X