Grace Under Pressure (214)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15
    Yes, and we know that the Daedalus wasn't on route between Earth and Atlantis because...?
    Convient how the Daedalus, which is supposed to be stationed at Atlantis for support and protection is ALWAYS en route between earth and Atlantis when a crisis occurs that could easily be solved using Daedalus. It's lazy writing.

You can't transport something you can't find.
    Huh, its too bad Daedalus doesn't have some kind of exotic sensor system to do just that. They can detect wraith activity 1,000's of light years away, but they couldn't detect a puddljumper from a couple miles up?

Why would they mention it before?
    Its called good writing. Instead of having a crisis and then magically inventing a theory that will save the day specifically for that episode, you have the charcters drop the theory a couple episodes before so it is establsihed that they have actually been talking about it before. Its not that difficult. In an opening segment where they are usually talking about something innane have SHeppard pestering weir about trying the jumpers as submersibles. Then it's established and can be drawn upon when this episode airs. But again that would equire the writers to you know, try to be good at what they do.

Hmmm...maybe that's why it was so easy this time? Or maybe because that was a Wraith one (not sure about this one though).
    Then why would sheppard say they should jury rig one using th cloak? Why wouldnt he just say: "Why dont we us the jumpers shield?"

It has been established that the wraith dont have shields, and even if they did what did the wraith do? Carry a shield generator small enough to be concealed in his clothing, hook it into the jumpers systems and have it work right away and then be able to use the jumpers remote to control it? Please.

So what? They would just have to hightail it out of there before it collapses.
    the point is the absolute ridiculousness of the solution. It is a jury rigged shield about to fail but the miraculously have the ability to stretch it around the other jumper.

Just guessing, but maybe it got damaged in the crash?
    Likely given that the Ancients were appearently so absolutley weak and pathetic and every thing they are showing us supports this idea

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      I'm done with carter relationships of any kind.
      I was never a shipper but I was not an anti-shipper so I would always just happily ignore the ship stuff and go on. But with her it’s getting to the point of seriously damaging her character. I say no more ship for her period.

Plus I think if McKay just has to be with someone... it needs to be someone who is very, very patient and maybe not the sharpest tack in the box and who adores him completely. Like Teyla……………..just kidding
      I couldn't agree with you more! I'm getting tired of TPTB trying to create a believable relationship for Carter. Trying to establish a relationship is getting to be to much and its definately damaging the character.

McKay has to find someone who can put up with him and not get annoyed at his personality (i.e.sarcasm, arrogance). Someone like Weir, or Cadman. Putting him with Carter is like they're trying too hard for force a non-existent relationship that will never work.
      Mentally unstable like a fox!!

Comment

Wow, such a wide variety of views! I love that. For me, I enjoyed this episode, DH gave us his perfect snarky, obnoxious, portrayal of McKay. I'd expect no less than that. so I give it an 8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
          Convient how the Daedalus, which is supposed to be stationed at Atlantis for support and protection is ALWAYS en route between earth and Atlantis when a crisis occurs that could easily be solved using Daedalus. It's lazy writing.
          Wouldn't it be easy writing to have the Daedalus solve all our problems?

Huh, its too bad Daedalus doesn't have some kind of exotic sensor system to do just that. They can detect wraith activity 1,000's of light years away, but they couldn't detect a puddljumper from a couple miles up?
          Again, we have not established that the Daedalus is here.

Its called good writing. Instead of having a crisis and then magically inventing a theory that will save the day specifically for that episode, you have the charcters drop the theory a couple episodes before so it is establsihed that they have actually been talking about it before. Its not that difficult. In an opening segment where they are usually talking about something innane have SHeppard pestering weir about trying the jumpers as submersibles. Then it's established and can be drawn upon when this episode airs. But again that would equire the writers to you know, try to be good at what they do.
          I really don't think this is that farfetched. I mean, if they come up with a super Wraith gun out of nowhere, then yeah, they're pulling stuff out of their butt. But we're talking about a spaceship that's stationed on a city floating in water, it's not that difficult to think that it will eventually lead them to using it as a submersible.

I really don't see this as that much of a big deal.

In fact, even though I have nothing to argue against the rest of your points, I still didn't let them bother me. Ah well, agree to disagree then.

Comment

But it wasn't established that the Daedalus wasn't there. One would assume it was gone for some reason, but providing one little throw-away line about how the Daedalus was due to arrive at Earth in three days or something would have clarified the situation. That's hardly difficult for the writers, and it adds so much credibility to their plot lines.
            SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

I'm hoping the writers think that we're smart enough to assume stuff without them spelling everything out.

Daedalus didn't help = Daedalus wasn't there. Why would you need to be told?

Comment

Wouldn't it be easy writing to have the Daedalus solve all our problems?
                Yes but then the episode would be about 10 minutes long. Thankfully the writers haven't gotten that lazy...yet.

You're right they didn't. But they didn't establish it wasn't there either. They just tottally ignored the fact that they have a giant honking spaceship with the ability to solve the crisis with the press of a button. McKay spent the ENTIRE episode talking to himself, in all his *****ing he couldn't complain about how "If Daedalus were here instead of wasting time going back and forth between earth...". It just more poor writing.

I really don't think this is that farfetched. I mean, if they come up with a super Wraith gun out of nowhere, then yeah, they're pulling stuff out of their butt. But we're talking about a spaceship that's stationed on a city floating in water, it's not that difficult to think that it will eventually lead them to using it as a submersible.
                Its called establshment. It makes for better storyline and makes each episode a part of a series instead of and isolated 42 minutes. The point of a series, especially in a genre that is as arc driven as SG-1 and Atlantis should be by lineage, is to be one over arching story that is told in chapters each week. You have to connect the episodes to each other. Its bad enough that this episode was just a waste of a week anyways because it does absolutely nothing to advance the plot of the series at all. Now it is just a patheticlly convient solution to the problem. Oh the jumpers double as submersibles? How convient!

Comment

You're right they didn't. But they didn't establish it wasn't there either. They just tottally ignored the fact that they have a giant honking spaceship with the ability to solve the crisis with the press of a button. McKay spent the ENTIRE episode talking to himself, in all his *****ing he couldn't complain about how "If Daedalus were here instead of wasting time going back and forth between earth...". It just more poor writing.
                  I would hope that by now we know the Daedalus is only there part of the time, and that doesn't need to be established every episode. And knowing that, it really isn't hard to figure out that if they don't mention it, it's not there! They don't need to treat viewers like morons.
                  "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                  My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I'm hoping the writers think that we're smart enough to assume stuff without them spelling everything out.

Daedalus didn't help = Daedalus wasn't there. Why would you need to be told?
                    Because the Daedalus is supposed to be attached to Atlantis and has become a character on the series in its own right. If its not there, why isnt it there? Why is McKay stuck on a sinking jumper even a crisis? Why is this big enough a deal to devote an entire episode too? Why do the characters have to come up with a far out crazy solution instead of using the simplelset answer? The Daedalus not being there contributed to the creation of the crisis, it's not being there is part of the story, so why wasn't it told?

Comment

Its called establshment. It makes for better storyline and makes each episode a part of a series instead of and isolated 42 minutes. The point of a series, especially in a genre that is as arc driven as SG-1 and Atlantis should be by lineage, is to be one over arching story that is told in chapters each week. You have to connect the episodes to each other. Its bad enough that this episode was just a waste of a week anyways because it does absolutely nothing to advance the plot of the series at all. Now it is just a patheticlly convient solution to the problem. Oh the jumpers double as submersibles? How convient!
                      Ok, I'll agree with the sentiment there...but I still don't see it as all that "pull of butt".

It's a city that's been floating on water (and underwater) for millions of years. It would make *perfect* sense if it could serve as a submersible.

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                        I would hope that by now we know the Daedalus is only there part of the time, and that doesn't need to be established every episode. And knowing that, it really isn't hard to figure out that if they don't mention it, it's not there! They don't need to treat viewers like morons.
                        Well then the entire existence of Daedalus is kinda pointless isnt it? It was supposed to be attached to Atlantis for support and defense. What's the point if it's never there? Why commit an entire battleship and crew to shuttle duty? If all it does is make trips back and forth between earth and Atlantis, why doesn;t the military just build a transport ship and use the Daedalus for missions? The fact is that the writers ARE treating us like morons. They are assuming that we won't ask questions or think, that we will just sit there and swallow whatever crap they foist on us. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Comment

Because the Daedalus is supposed to be attached to Atlantis and has become a character on the series in its own right. If its not there, why isnt it there?
                          You tell me. Why, normally, isn't the Daedlus there?

Maybe because if was ferrying people/supplies to/from Atlantis?!

Why is McKay stuck on a sinking jumper even a crisis? Why is this big enough a deal to devote an entire episode too?
                          Because he might die. And, oh, maybe because he's one of the main characters on the show?

Why do the characters have to come up with a far out crazy solution instead of using the simplelset answer?
                          Because the simple answer, as you said, is lazy writing.

The Daedalus not being there contributed to the creation of the crisis, it's not being there is part of the story, so why wasn't it told?
                          Because the audience are not morons! They can figure it out! Why waste precious seconds on some exposition dialogue (which, again, is not needed) when you can divert that to banter or some thing entertaining?

Comment

Well then the entire existence of Daedalus is kinda pointless isnt it? It was supposed to be attached to Atlantis for support and defense. What's the point if it's never there? Why commit an entire battleship and crew to shuttle duty? If all it does is make trips back and forth between earth and Atlantis, why doesn;t the military just build a transport ship and use the Daedalus for missions? The fact is that the writers ARE treating us like morons. They are assuming that we won't ask questions or think, that we will just sit there and swallow whatever crap they foist on us. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"
                            That transport ship better be well-armed if it's going to go through Wraith space.

Comment

I never saw the Daedalus as being that attached to Atlantis itself. IMHO, the Daedalus was meant as a ferry, since Earth doesn't have a ZPM to establish a wormhole connection to Pegasus. After all, Atlantis needs food and supplies, and from what we've seen, they haven't been entirely successful with establishing trade for those supplies within Pegasus. Is the Daedalus meant solely as a ferry? No, of course not - they're a great source of backup and defense for Atlantis. But with the capability of cloaking and shielding Atlantis this season, they could scrape by without the aid of the Daedalus in less dire situations. And since it takes over two weeks each way going to and from Earth via the Daedalus, that's clearly a lot of time that will be spent away from Atlantis.
                              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

You tell me. Why, normally, isn't the Daedlus there?

Maybe because if was ferrying people/supplies to/from Atlantis?!
                                And thats the point isn't it? They made a big deal that the Daedalus was Atlantis' savior at the begining of the season, yet the writers wrote themselves into a corner with it. Now in order to create a crisis for drama in the episode they have to work hard and come up with a creative problem that can't be solved easily even with Daedalus there, OR just have it always in transit. Im sure glad they spent all that time and money building this big honking battleship and devote an entire crew of trained personel only to make it a bus.

Because he might die. And, oh, maybe because he's one of the main characters on the show?
                                You missed my point. It shouldn;t even be a crisis. Daedalus should just fly in, beam him out, end of story. Thats not the case, so why isn't Daedalus there to save the day? Daedalus' absense has added to the crisis.

Because the audience are not morons! They can figure it out! Why waste precious seconds on some exposition dialogue (which, again, is not needed) when you can divert that to banter or some thing entertaining?
                                Because by not even mentioning it they ARE treating us like morons. "SSSHHH just ignore the simplest solution possible, the audience is too dumb to think of that!"

Comment

Working...
                                X