No announcement yet.

Critical Mass (213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually enjoyed this episode more than I thought it would. I was already spoiled that Teyla would sing, and had resigned to hating it.

Well, I didn't. Actually I liked that song as background to the end. Different than what you get on most shows (with some sort of dramatic music in the background). Had a strange Celtic feeling to it, folky.

Great plot twist! Loved Kavanaugh in this one, he played a heck of a part.

This was better than last week by far. Nice character work, plot development, etc. Good stuff.

Comment

Ok guys, from advanced Canadian airing, we know that Caldwell
      Spoiler:
      will be back in "The Long Goodbye"

Comment

and in charge while, well you know

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
          I don't know if anyone else noticed it or would agree, but when Teyla began her ritual song, and they cut away to other scenes on Atlatnis, it almost felt like an episode of BattleStar Galactica.
          I noticed that as well. BSG uses lots of Celtic-type music, and they do it better. But I didn't hate the song as much as I thought I would, probably because the rest of the episode was so good.

Good to see our dear friend Dr. Kavanagh again, and I hope we do see him in season 3. He has a score to settle with Ronon. *snicker*

Poor Caldwell - didn't see that one coming, and for an instant I was afraid Col. "Skinner" was a goner. Good to hear he was okay afterwards.

Good McKay scenes. Absolutely love Cadman. Bring her back, please! And poor Zelenka - I just love the guy.

Good episode. Not up to SG1's "Ripple Effect", but big improvement over last week.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Teyla: You want me to sing? But I can't sing!
            Shepherd: That's okay. Just take a lesson from an earth woman named 'Ashlee Simpson'.

Decent episode..interesting who the gu'ald was. It doesn't quite make sense though, because he has had plenty of other opportunities to hurt Atlantis.

Though, I HATE that cheesy 'We're no different than them' stuff that's been cropping up in just about every scifi or fantasy series ever.

Okay. The wraithe feed on millions of millions of innocent people and terrorize their entire galaxy, and want to terrorize yours, turning your entire planet's population into livestock.

YOU just start mistrusting people when you know for a fact one of your friends is an enemy agent, and tortured a gu'ald who has been trying to kill all of you and has been involved in trying to destroy your planet for the last eight and a half years. There's a difference..

So yes. You are indeed entitled to a HUGE moral high ground above the wraithe. PLEASE keep that cliche angstry, broody JUNK out of Stargate!! I'd like to see it gone from all TV, all movies, all animes, and all RPGs. It's just gotten so old!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
              Teyla: You want me to sing? But I can't sing!
              Shepherd: That's okay. Just take a lesson from an earth woman named 'Ashlee Simpson'.

Decent episode..interesting who the gu'ald was. It doesn't quite make sense though, because he has had plenty of other opportunities to hurt Atlantis.

Though, I HATE that cheesy 'We're no different than them' stuff that's been cropping up in just about every scifi or fantasy series ever.

Okay. The wraithe feed on millions of millions of innocent people and terrorize their entire galaxy, and want to terrorize yours, turning your entire planet's population into livestock.

YOU just start mistrusting people when you know for a fact one of your friends is an enemy agent, and tortured a gu'ald who has been trying to kill all of you and has been involved in trying to destroy your planet for the last eight and a half years. There's a difference..

So yes. You are indeed entitled to a HUGE moral high ground above the wraithe. PLEASE keep that cliche angstry, broody JUNK out of Stargate!! I'd like to see it gone from all TV, all movies, all animes, and all RPGs. It's just gotten so old!
              Well I think part of it would be that they wanna make sure that the characters want to make sure they keep themselves in moral check. You can complain about it, but it is a valid point. I don't think they nearly stooped down to Wraith level, but they do need to make sure that they don't cross too many lines too many times.
              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Does anyone know what that song title that teyla sung was called or who originally wrote/sung it? I have a friend who loved teyla's song, as did i, who wants to know. Thanks!
                sigpic
                Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Originally posted by GateTrek
                  Does anyone know what that song title that teyla sung was called or who originally wrote/sung it? I have a friend who loved teyla's song, as did i, who wants to know. Thanks!
                  "Beyond the Night" written by Joel Goldsmith, but Rachel Luttrell/Teyla is still the original singer.

Here's an mp3 of it

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                    One more thing I forgot.

This is small, but honestly, it's getting distracting.

Someone please, for the love of Goddess, do something about Torri Higginson's hair. It needs to either curl or be straight. It needs to be short or long but not where it is now. The current look makes Atlantis's leader look like she spends 20 minutes a day asking McKay to iinterface Ancient technology with a bad 1970s curling iron. She needs to drop back to earth for a cut, condition and stop making her hair look like a poorly fussed with mess.

And her shade of lip gloss is amazingly, astoundingly, horrifyingly wrong. She has auburn hair and hazel eyes. She wears red. She cannot wear peach gloss. Run, don't walk, and get a tube of Clinique Black Honey. It'd look great on her. We have the same colouring, except my eyes are brown. It'll work, trust me.

Torri Higginson is a lovely woman and a good actress.

Elizabeth Weir is a good character and also a lovely woman.

The show is doing them a huge disservice with this current look. It's just not acceptable.
                    HAHAHAH! Oh, join the club. She's got the same stylist as Amanda Tapping apparently, who can take a woman's hair and turn it into a rat's nest. I can understand Weir's hair being a little frayed, but Sam looks like she purposefully sticks it in an oven and bakes it. I have no idea what the stylists are thinking or what they're smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Atlantis
                      -Surpisingly enough Teyla's singing. When I first heard her I was kinda worried it would be terrible but it added some nice drama to the episode at the end and the music was cool.So not too bad.
                      I agree. The second she started singing I was like OH NO! They're ruining the show! But then it all fit together and I have say Bravo Zulu to the writers and producers. It was beautifully done and totally added to the drama. They took a risk by doing this and I think they passed with flying colors.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                        I don't know if anyone else noticed it or would agree, but when Teyla began her ritual song, and they cut away to other scenes on Atlatnis, it almost felt like an episode of BattleStar Galactica.
                        It didn't to me because I don't watch Battlestar Galactica The minute I heard they made my darling Starbuck into a female, it made me cringe so I had to bypass the show...lol.
                        Last edited by nccjones; 21 January 2006, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Definitely one of the better shows. Loved the ending.

Looks like the future is going to be: Tauri vs Goa'uld vs Wraith

Comment

First Impressios:
                            -Poor Zelenka...call it a hunch, but I don't think he likes kids
                            -A bomb, a bomb, oh no a bomb!
                            -"Of course love" ....Beckett is such a sweetie.....just melts the heart
                            -SGC scientist guy needs to speak much faster....he's taking way too long to exlpain in scientific terms what those at the table will never understand, just look at the blank stares....his scientific explanation is taking way too much screen time....but love the Lord of the Rings reference....that was funny
                            -Oh good grief, Kavanaugh.....way too go Hermiod !!! you go little Asgard!
                            -For someone who has very little faith in his pj flying abilities, Becket sure parked that thing remarkably close to the settlement.
                            -Cadman's back....and toying with McKay....this will be fun
                            -Beautiful night shot of the city
                            -Those hiccups are annoying, but loved Weir's reaction to hiccup-girl
                            -How does Kavaaugh know Zelenka is off-world...he was on the Daedalus when Zelenka went off-world, and since he has no friends, how did he come across this little detail....it's doubtful anyone would be talking to him since his arrival.
                            -Certainly Beckett has heard of DNR, yet he seems to have a difficult time understanding Charin's wishes
                            -Poor Teyla, that's just sad to lose the last person in the world you feel connected to
                            -Ha Ha - Kavanaugh and Ronon....no wait.....now it's just Ronon...that's funny
                            -"Mr. Mom" ....love what the kids have done...somehow I don't think this is going to change Zelenka's attitude towards kids

Comment

Truth be told, I kind of wished the song hadn't been soo....studio-like. Children singing in the background, instruments where you saw none. I would have loved to hear Telya's voice and nothing else, esp. since it looked like she was the only one singing. The words of the song as well as the ceremony struck me as humble, so their livening up the song seemed out of place slightly. But other than that, it was lovely, if not fitting. Them cutting to other parts of Atlantis was good IMO. I don't watch BSG so I can only judge based on taste and editing.

As for what Weir said in the end about being just like them, I thought she was refering to one thing only, the infighting. They were so pleased with themselves when they helped bring about Wraith interfighting but only to discover that they have the very same problem. I do think she was right. I also think that Ripple Effect brought that point home nicely.

As for Caldwell, we have no idea when they could've placed the bug in his head. It could have been when he was temp. made Security Chief in "Conversion" for all we know. Or, it could've taken the Goa'uld some time to reconfigure the program, given Ancients created it. I thought this was a good show.
                              I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
                              - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

It was an okay ep. Mostly because it revealed a number of things.

The Athosians are basically Christian Scientists. Which is comforting in an odd way.

Weir is now a war criminal. Really, she should be removed from command immediatley and prosecuted. It's been said in no uncertain terms. 'The United States does not torture'. Period. But not only does she authorize torture, it's the torture of an innocent man who had not been convicted of any crime and the evidence against him was non-existant. It's insane that someone like that would be allowed to stay in command. Things get rough? You think you can actually exercise the rights guaranteed to you under the constitition of the United States? Don't worry, Weir will send an alien in to carve you up with a knife.

The more you sit and think about it, the more appalling her actions were. Sure Shepard was on board, but it's not his fault. His job is to offer solutions, no matter what they entail. Weir should have shown restraint and good sense and dismissed the torture idea.

The fact that Ronon didn't have time to do any damage doesn't make it okay. She okayed it. She was ready and willing to let it happen. She's guilty of a number of crimes. Was the suspect even an American? If not, whats going to happen when his government finds out that the US lead mission is allowing the torture of its citizens?

Weir should be on the next flight back to Earth...in the brig.

D

Comment

Working...
                                X